Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
Trevor Bauer wasn't cleared of wrongdoing. He simply settled the lawsuit and claimed victory because an insurance company paid out on his behalf instead of hitting his own pocket directly.

And he still has three other accusers (one domestic abuse, two sexual abuse).
He absolutely was cleared of wrongdoing. Even if he reached an out of court settlement (which he didn’t pay for) the prosecutor would have still pursued charges against him if it made sense.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
What im trying to say here is, if they are found guilty of the act they are accused of, fine bury them in prison and i hope they never play even in beerleague again. BUT and IF one or more of them are not guilty of such crime, can you guys understand what a f***ing scumbag move it is to blaim them for crime that others did as well? Like how is it this way nowadays, if your name gets connected to some stupid shit you are just done, no trial no evidence nothing, you are just f***ing done.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Hmm, guess you didn't see these texts. Bauer was absolutely setup. The woman should probably be in jail.
QtHA6lX.png
Yes, that's why the insurance company paid out a big settlement on Bauer's behalf, right?

And those other three accusers, one of which filed for a protection order years before the case in question came out, they were all lying too, right?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That’s because you’re innocent until proven guilty, so be proven not guilty maintains that you’re innocent

Not really, it just shows that the prosecution was unable to prove that you were guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Sometimes the prosecution commits an error in making their case, or in the collection of key evidence, and that's sufficient for release.

That's why you'll see someone not guilty in a criminal trial only to be found guilty in a civil trial for the same allegation. The civil bar for guilt is simply a balance of probabilities, as opposed to the high standard of a beyond a reasonable doubt in the case of the criminal bar for guilt.

The credibility of the system itself and the respect for the individual rights of the accused are deemed to be more important than putting a guilty party behind bars.

There's no easy way to create a fair and equitable legal system. We've decided that it is worse to put a potentially innocent person behind bars than to release a criminal.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
He absolutely was cleared of wrongdoing. Even if he reached an out of court settlement (which he didn’t pay for) the prosecutor would have still pursued charges against him if it made sense.
Insurance companies don't pay people large sums of money for no reason. Bauer's insurance company paid instead of him. That's no different than him paying directly.

And he still has other accusers.

kingsholygrail

3-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Trevor Bauer wasn't cleared of wrongdoing. He simply settled the lawsuit and claimed victory because an insurance company paid out on his behalf instead of hitting his own pocket directly.

And he still has three other accusers (one domestic abuse, two sexual abuse).
He was never cleared because he was never charged with any wrongdoing. They couldn't even bring charges the evidence was so flimsy. Once the texts came out and the video, it was dropped completely. He literally did nothing wrong in the realm of civilized society. You can think he's a weirdo, but at that point it's just kink shaming. The settlement was to get access to the evidence so he could publish it and clear his name. She didn't claim defamation and sue him for it either.

Reactions: DJN21

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Duke Lacrosse, sure.

The Bills punter's literal excuse was, "I had sex with the drunk underage girl and left her at a party where she was gang raped later, technically I wasn't there for the gang rape itself" but he still admitted to having sex with a drunk 17 year old in a state where the age of consent is 18.

He also said she lied about her age.

Either way, while he certainly put himself in a bad situation, I don't think he had any responsibility for her well being after their encounter and he certainly didn't deserve to be accused of participating in a gang rape.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Innocent until proven guilty....

Chances are the evidence is 100% circumstantial...if they had forensic hardcore evidence this would have been done and wrapped a long time ago. In 2024 its nearly impossible to get a conviction in cases of this sort without forensic evidence so I'd wager heavily none of these guys are convicted and if they are the sentences will be relatively light

Reactions: Devonator

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Not really, it just shows that the prosecution was unable to prove that you were guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Sometimes the prosecution commits an error in making their case, or in the collection of key evidence, and that's sufficient for release.

The credibility of the system itself and the respect for the individual rights of the accused are deemed to be more important than putting a guilty party behind bars.
The entire point went right over your head.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
He was never cleared because he was never charged with any wrongdoing. They couldn't even bring charges the evidence was so flimsy. Once the texts came out and the video, it was dropped completely. He literally did nothing wrong in the realm of civilized society. You can think he's a weirdo, but at that point it's just kink shaming.
Insurance companies don't pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who accuse their clients on flimsy evidence. Insurance companies have entire departments of people whose sole job it is to make sure they don't pay out money for no reason.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
yeah right--you are just looking for trouble.

If you want names without mentioning names? You might want to update your fantasy leagues as there are 5 guys with NA listed beside their names now.

We all know the names and in one case, we can see the defence he is planning--if you seriously can not figure out the names at this moment--I have question your deductive reasoning skill
I deserved that. I should have googled first and posted on HFboards second. Now then, I’m closing in on the five. One thing I have figured out is the five are all Canadian. (Note to mods—that is NOT speculation.)

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Right, if I murder somebody and they can't prove it in court then I didn't murder somebody.
That is correct, oh shit i read it wrong, english isnt my first language sorry :D

But you are again drawing lines on being accused = guilty, what if one or two of the players accused of this act did not do anything, or even had any part of it? Are they still guilty because they were prosecuted?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yes, that's why the insurance company paid out a big settlement on Bauer's behalf, right?

And those other three accusers, one of which filed for a protection order years before the case in question came out, they were all lying too, right?

Oh, you're one of those people who think settling is an admission of guilt? In the real world, sometimes you settle if only to make something go away, to save time/stress/even money, even if you have to bite you're tongue and you're being wronged.

Not sure how can you see such damning evidence where she flat out admitted to stealing his money and getting him to hit her and just write it off...

But this is offtopic and not relevant to the matter at hand anyway...so whatever.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Seriously, thank you for (I believe) being the first person to finally bring up point 3. Everyone jumps to the idea that in sexual assault cases 1 side is automatically lying and in many cases they are but it ignore that ‘honest but mistaken belief’ does exist.

Not suggesting that is or isn’t what happened in this case but it’s also not outside the realm of possibility. In any case point 3 is just a terrible situation for everyone involved. One party ends up sexually assaulted and feeling like they have been with all the mental health effects that brings and the other person genuinely has no idea that person was not consenting.

While the video of her saying it was consensual afterwards makes the whole thing messier (unless there is clear evidence of coercion on it), the one where she consents beforehand really doesn’t mean much. Consent can be withdrawn at any time prior to/during. If someone says stop everything needs to stop and if it doesn’t then everything after that is non consensual regardless of consent prior to that moment. Would likely make it hard to secure a conviction given the legal standard of beyond a reasonable doubt but it also doesn’t mean a sexual assault didn’t occur in a case where one party later withdrew consent and communicated that to the other party who willingly ignored it and continued anyways
Right? It's a pretty sticky (no pun intended) situation all around. Isn't #3 basically what happened with that comedian (can't think of his name, had a tv show on Netflix... Aziz?)?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Right, if I murder somebody and they can't prove it in court then I didn't murder somebody.
And using your logic if I’m accused of murdering someone that I didn’t, but since im not found innocent but instead I’m found not guilty that doesn’t mean I’m actually innocent.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

kingsholygrail

3-1-2 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Insurance companies don't pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars to people who accuse their clients on flimsy evidence. Insurance companies have entire departments of people whose sole job it is to make sure they don't pay out money for no reason.
It was consensual. That's why the insurance paid it out. You're just kink shaming at this point.

Reactions: devo09

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
AP named the 5 players
AP named the former 2018 Canada world junior players that have taken a leave of absence from their teams while noting that it's at the same time as a report that 5 players from that world junior team have been requested to surrender to police.

They're still not directly connecting the dots because it's not factual yet.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
If the Trevor Bauer scenario has taught us anything we should presume innocent until proven guilty
It’s not some high minded ideal - it’s a basic pillar of most Western democracies’ justice systems. The state’s power over the individual can be absolute and without a foundational presumption of innocence carved into the bedrock of a country’s criminal justice system, tyranny and authoritarianism are allowed to flourish. So, no, being charged by the state with a crime is not - and must never be allowed to be - evidence of guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad