Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Actually, they did not, they just didn't come to terms on a contract. He is still on their reserve list.
Regardless, the only reason that Alex Formenton did not play this season for Ottawa is the hockey canada investigation. They would one million percent have re-signed a 24 year old 18 goal scorer otherwise.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The AP made 2 separate statements about 5 players being granted a leave of absence and 5 players being told to surrender. They did not say the two sets are the same.

It's unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility, that a player on the 2018 team is taking some time away from his NHL team because 5 of his close friends are being criminally charged and needs some time to process it. That type of thing is why you don't speculate
If you need time to process that, fine. But why would you open yourself up to speculation about being a rapist in the meantime. Then you'd need time to process being called a rapist.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But at least the underlying allegations need to be somewhat proven, don't they? Otherwise, according to you, just being accused of misconduct that we all find to be reprehensible is grounds enough to kick someone out of the league. Maybe you aren't suggesting that, and if not, I apologize.
I'm not. I'm suggesting that being found not guilty based on the justifiably high standard of proof doesn't necessarily absolve them of all consequences, nor mean that they didn't do something abhorrent.

Time may prove me wrong, but at this point it seems quite apparent that the "underlying accusations" - the events of the night- are essentially uncontested. What remains to be seen is whether it can be proven that she was either/both of too drunk to consent, or intimidated into consent.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That's a little harsh, no?

We have no details on the specifics of the non-intervention. The bystander effect is a very real thing that affects most people, especially when it's unclear whether a crime is actually being committed. It's a bit easy to armchair this when you weren't there and don't have the full picture, especially when that person didn't have the full picture at the time either.
Yes, perhaps harsh. But isn't life harsh sometimes? I'd imagine that poor girl thinks like can be pretty unfair. Speaking of that girl, she is someone's daughter. Someone's granddaughter. Or sister.

That young man needs to ask himself if he did everything possible to do the right thing. Perhaps he handled it the best way he could. Who knows. Was he courageous? Was he cowardly? Was he an enabler? I guess we'll never know but I hope like hell he's given it some thought.

Those are harsh questions. And he has to face those harsh questions because he walked into a harsh situation. How we react to harsh situations tells us a lot about who we are as people.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That is part of parenting, that parents don't do anymore.

Are you under the impression that sexual assault is a new thing?

It's been happening forever, the only difference it's finally starting to be taken more seriously. These days there's less of a "boys will be boys" attitude and less victim blaming. But there are still some out there who put the blame on the victim...

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So are we still all sitting around here acting like we don’t all know who these 5 players are? Lmao only HF.

If you're interested in discussing, then why not head over to Reddit? In fact the Reddit thread (not even hockey related) is a perfect example of why such discussions shouldn't be allowed. They're acting like criminal investigators and trying to get in contact with friends/family basically anyone related to the 5 players.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not. I'm suggesting that being found not guilty based on the justifiably high standard of proof doesn't necessarily absolve them of all consequences, nor mean that they didn't do something abhorrent.

Time may prove me wrong, but at this point it seems quite apparent that the "underlying accusations" - the events of the night- are essentially uncontested. What remains to be seen is whether it can be proven that she was either/both of too drunk to consent, or intimidated into consent.

I think we should at least give the accused players a chance to publicly respond or contest the allegations before saying anything is "uncontested".

I'm on the side that thinks that something probably did happen here, but am willing to let this play out a little longer before I make up my mind.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I have a feeling there's a language barrier at play here. We can teach our children not to harm others and to protect themselves at the same time.

Reactions: HBK27

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Out of curiosity, were we also not allowed to speculate or name names when "A hockey player" was arrested in connection with the death of Adam Johnson? They never named the player...
The Brits I don't think ever publicly named him. They have much stronger protections for the accused compared to North America.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Nobody on HF is getting sued for saying someone’s name lol
We can also choose to be decent humans without the threat of a lawsuit and wait a day to have confirmation instead of accusing potentially innocent people

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Yes, perhaps harsh. But isn't life harsh sometimes? I'd imagine that poor girl thinks like can be pretty unfair. Speaking of that girl, she is someone's daughter. Someone's granddaughter. Or sister.

That young man needs to ask himself if he did everything possible to do the right thing. Perhaps he handled it the best way he could. Who knows. Was he courageous? Was he cowardly? Was he an enabler? I guess we'll never know but I hope like hell he's given it some thought.

Those are harsh questions. And he has to face those harsh questions because he walked into a harsh situation. How we react to harsh situations tells us a lot about who we are as people.

Attachments

• hangover.gif
    hangover.gif
    576.9 KB · Views: 3

Apr 9, 2009
USA
this has to be one of the toughest threads of all time for this site. We knew it was coming. We can not talk about a lot of stuff---but the rash of the players suddenly going on indefinite leave needs to be something that we should be able to discuss.

It’s only tough because the site refuses to allow us to talk about it. It could be easy.

We can also choose to be decent humans without the threat of a lawsuit and wait a day to have confirmation instead of accusing potentially innocent people

There isn’t going to be a threat of a lawsuit because people talked about it on HFBoards. Lawyers would be far more concerned about ooooh ESPN naming all the names. Discussing what is now public knowledge isn’t a lack of human decency. Christ.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
It was one idea of the top of my head.
Maybe their dad died. Maybe they have alcohol issues. There are a million possible reasons.

It only makes you look guilty of sexual assault to people on the internet who like to speculate, which is why you shouldn't speculate

It makes you look guilty of sexual assault to anyone.

Now is not the time to take time away from hockey if you're a member of that 2018 team. Of course it could be unrelated and that would be shitty but you look guilty as hell to anyone with half a brain.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Nah. Parents need to do a better job teaching those young men what consent is and to respect women.
Isn't she on camera giving consent?

fawfw.png

I'm not sure what argument you can make re: being coerced into giving consent, or feeling pressured to, but that response by the woman seems quite blatantly consensual if true.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad