Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The AP made 2 separate statements about 5 players being granted a leave of absence and 5 players being told to surrender. They did not say the two sets are the same.

It's unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility, that a player on the 2018 team is taking some time away from his NHL team because 5 of his close friends are being criminally charged and needs some time to process it. That type of thing is why you don't speculate
🤨 if you say so.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
That's what the men from the bank said when they repossessed my farm.

Now youre just making me feel bad.

200w.gif

Ha! You dont pay me enough for that.

😭

I wonder how many people who have "Off Topic" warnings are reading this lengthy off-topic conversation, joking in a thread about sexual assault, between the people that hand out the warnings. :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
With no legal charges, this would immediately get shit on by the NHLPA.
Ottawa literally let Formenton's rights expire because they knew this was coming.

The Devils (for example) chose to sign McCleod on July 1st 2023, all the while knowing this investigation was ongoing and that McCleod may in fact be indicted for being a rapist.

Leafs4Life77

Sep 30, 2009
This is what I am thinking. But after reading the story on the Athletic, they say there were cameras in the hotel.

Parents need to raise their kids better. Especially girls, they cannot grow up to be sluts.

If you actually read the article, you would have probably noticed the part that says:

"According to the young woman’s statement of claim, at some point in the early-morning hours, she and John Doe 1 “engaged in sex acts” in his hotel room. Then, John Doe 1 invited his teammates to the room without her knowledge or consent."

Reactions: Beau Knows

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I wonder how many people who have "Off Topic" warnings are reading this lengthy off-topic conversation, joking in a thread about sexual assault, between the people that hand out the warnings. :laugh:

I was mainly looking at "Users Who Are Viewing This Thread" and it's impressive at how many staff alumni are here watching us try to keep this under control.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
"I'm distraught and can't come to work because some guys I played hockey with 5 years ago are getting charged for sexually assaulting somebody"?

Yeah... Gonna go ahead and say that's a completely illogical suggestion.

Especially when it makes you look guilty of sexual assault.

It's a ridiculous suggestion.
It was one idea of the top of my head.
Maybe their dad died. Maybe they have alcohol issues. There are a million possible reasons.

It only makes you look guilty of sexual assault to people on the internet who like to speculate, which is why you shouldn't speculate

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ottawa literally let Formenton's rights expire because they knew this was coming.

The Devils (for example) chose to sign McCleod on July 1st 2023, all the while knowing this investigation was ongoing and that McCleod may in fact be indicted for being a rapist.

Electing not to sign a player who you don't have under contract is not the same thing as not playing a player who you're currently under contract with you, simply because he's being investigated for something.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Only thing that bothers me is neither you or I would have been given this kind of time to keep our names out of the paper and to turn ourselves in on our own schedule.
You wouldn’t have had to worry. The London Police declined to file charges after their investigation in 2018. It would have ended there.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
"I'm distraught and can't come to work because some guys I played hockey with 5 years ago are getting charged for sexually assaulting somebody"?

Yeah... Gonna go ahead and say that's a completely illogical suggestion.

There will come a time when names are set in stone and you’ll be able to talk about them

It’s probably just worry over the site being hit by litigious lawyers trying to win defamation suits against their clients and getting the website shut down

No one’s trying to suppress anything, we just need to be patient

Reactions: wraithsonwings

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not necessarily.

A criminal conviction will require proving beyond reasonable doubt that what happened was criminal.

A black mark/ black listing/ detrimental career effect only requires the public and/or management being convinced that what happened was immoral/unsavoury/objectionable enough that the PR damage and/or moral implications of positive public association outweigh the benefits they bring as hockey players.

But at least the underlying allegations need to be somewhat proven, don't they? In other words, there needs to be a little fire where there is some smoke. Otherwise, according to you, just being accused of misconduct that we all find to be reprehensible is grounds enough to end someone's career. Maybe you aren't suggesting that, and if not, I apologize.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Only thing that bothers me is neither you or I would have been given this kind of time to keep our names out of the paper and to turn ourselves in on our own schedule.
NHL is full of players from extremely wealthy families, there seems to be a different set of rules for some wealthy folks out there….. or so I’ve heard…

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I was mainly looking at "Users Who Are Viewing This Thread" and it's impressive at how many staff alumni are here watching us try to keep this under control.
this has to be one of the toughest threads of all time for this site. We knew it was coming. We can not talk about a lot of stuff---but the rash of the players suddenly going on indefinite leave needs to be something that we should be able to discuss.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
this has to be one of the toughest threads of all time for this site. We knew it was coming. We can not talk about a lot of stuff---but the rash of the players suddenly going on indefinite leave needs to be something that we should be able to discuss.

If everyone "knows" who it is, then why does it matter if we can talk about it (yet)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad