Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
uh?

First paragraph:

And they are digging....

"Messages left for the agents representing all five players and multiple messages sent to <someone’s> lawyer seeking comment were not immediately returned."

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I imagine there would be some kind of cap forgiveness, maybe in the form of contract buyouts granted or just straight up termination

If no one was bothered by the termination of Perry’s contract, this should be easy to get off the books
I am sure the lawyers on there can give a better explanation. But I would be shocked if teams cannot void the contracts outright.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Nothing in that statement says its confirmed they or some of them are the same.
giphy (1).gif

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don’t doubt that. But f*** that would be so shameful. Involved in the biggest hockey scandal and your perversions are just out there now.

This is not the biggest hockey scandal.

With the bar having been set by the true biggest scandal, If the NHL could discipline Hockey Canada they'd probably only give them a 2nd round pick.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
AP linked the two. And, they probably have a higher journalistic standard than ESPN.
Still isnt confirmed and hearsay. Media is being pretty black and white to say they arent the ones 100%. They are allowing readers to make their own picture.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Time can make things very cloudy because your memory is like the telephone game.

For this reason, while I typically give the accusers the benefit of the doubt, I also worry for the fair delivery of justice the more time passes.

There is validity to that phenomenon and certainly should be a consideration. The problem with applying it universally to every situation comes from assuming that every accuser is behaving in an "honest/level" manner. Unfortunately, the reality is that there are narcissistic/mentally imbalanced/plain evil/etc people in the world that do have the capacity to either make knowingly false claims or be so detached from reality that they make claims that exist only in their own head.

That reality is why the need for a presumption of innocence judicial system is necessary. No matter how convincing or apparent an individual's claim is, the best chance to determine the validity is to try the case.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Shame on these NHL teams for continuing to play these guys while almost certainly knowing that these investigations were ongoing and that the other shoe might drop eventually.
I think if we do this long enough we can shame every team in the league.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Time can make things very cloudy because your memory is like the telephone game.

For this reason, while I typically give the accusers the benefit of the doubt, I also worry for the fair delivery of justice the more time passes.
There would be a certain poetic irony if their own actions is what helps get them convicted- due to their efforts the police/crown have a video with the following transcript:
"Are you recording me?” she asks. “Ok, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid, holy. I enjoyed it, it was fine. It was all consensual. I am so sober, that’s why I can’t do this right now.”

If she sounds/looks as drunk as that reads it's pretty damning corroboration of her side of things- that she was drunk and pressured/intimidated- and a demonstration that they knew it was wrong at the time.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Shame on these NHL teams for continuing to play these guys while almost certainly knowing that these investigations were ongoing and that the other shoe might drop eventually.
BS. The NHL won't supersede a police investigation. They have been in a holding pattern waiting for the police to lay charges; now that is done they can suspend until the parties are proven guilty or exonerated.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
The AP made 2 separate statements about 5 players being granted a leave of absence and 5 players being told to surrender. They did not say the two sets are the same.

It's unlikely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility, that a player on the 2018 team is taking some time away from his NHL team because 5 of his close friends are being criminally charged and needs some time to process it. That type of thing is why you don't speculate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad