Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
All hearsay and nothing has been confirmed. All ESPN is stating is who has gone on leave recently.

Agreed. Hearsay. But there is a fire smoldering somewhere cause the smoke is getting pretty thick...

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
All hearsay and nothing has been confirmed. All ESPN is stating is who has gone on leave recently.

giphy.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
so have people in this very thread.
And this thread is about 5 players who have been told to report to police, not 5 players who are taking a leave of absence. We are not linking those two until if/when there has been official confirmation. If/when charges are laid, or a player makes a statement or the likes, its all speculation and not happening.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
These guys careers are done. No way a team is taking on that PR nightmare after a “suspension”. They will be persona non grata in the NHL

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
And this thread is about 5 players who have been told to report to police, not 5 players who are taking a leave of absence. We are not linking those two until if/when there has been official confirmation. If/when charges are laid, or a player makes a statement or the likes, its all speculation and not happening.

I don't understand though, why can ESPN link the two, but not HF?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Time can make things very cloudy because your memory is like the telephone game.

For this reason, while I typically give the accusers the benefit of the doubt, I also worry for the fair delivery of justice the more time passes.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Does them being semi famous play into it? i.e. there's pics of these guys all over the internet and if they're NHL players, fans know what they look like. So they can't hide in plain sight the way you or I could.
I think this is certainly an argument that could be used by defence counsel, if there's a need for a bail hearing ... client is less of a flight risk because he's so well known/can't hide.

Reactions: Voight

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Think the NHL is sweating this, or moreso relieved that all the "Indefinite leave of absence" players (Not Offenders! This is NOT speculation!) are scrubs?

I feel like as much as they hate the negative PR, they're happy it wasn't a star player. Like, imagine if there were a star in the league named Fail Shakar (This is not a real person. I am NOT speculating!) that had been involved in this. They'd be shitting themselves.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
They havent. They were clear they are just reporting who has gone on leave recently.

uh?

First paragraph:

Five players from Canada's 2018 world junior team have taken a leave of absence from their current clubs in recent days amid a report that five members of that team have been asked to surrender to police to face sexual assault charges.

Reactions: sepster

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
These guys careers are done. No way a team is taking on that PR nightmare after a “suspension”. They will be persona non grata in the NHL
If they could play like McDavid or score goals like Matthews, they'd get another shot. Whoever is charged, is likely going to miss significant time over this and next season even if acquitted, and their reputation is now toxic.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
There's guys on professional sports teams that have probably done worse but never had the women speak out or they got paid to keep quiet.

I don’t doubt that. But f*** that would be so shameful. Involved in the biggest hockey scandal and your perversions are just out there now.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
When Drouin took a leave of absence from Montreal for his mental health he was placed on ltir. This situation will be totally different so I don't know how this will handled for cap purposes.

I imagine there would be some kind of cap forgiveness, maybe in the form of contract buyouts granted or just straight up termination

If no one was bothered by the termination of Perry’s contract, this should be easy to get off the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad