Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Cuts both ways. The poor shlub who doesn't have the resources to investigate or mount a legit defence could also just get railroaded by the "system" the other way. Yes , lady justice should be blind - in theory. Western legal systems are awful except for every other system in the world.
Whoooooosh....

I'm making a joke that said redacted player is a goaltender that is already used to not having a defense in front of him.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Players shouldn’t have their livelihoods ruined if they serve their time for their crimes.
It’s not a right to play in the NHL - their livelihoods will not be ruined. They will be able to find employment, but likely not in the NHL.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't. I was on a hockey trip with my team up to Edmonton when we were 16-18 years old. We met a few girls in the food court of the West Edmonton Mall and they came up to our room in the hotel in there. One of them, when asked what they do around there (we weren't the best conversationalists), said they drank and ****ed. Another one asked if we had any alcohol and I asked how old they were. One said 14 and we told them to GTFO of the room immediately.

Basically, you know when something isn't right or you don't care. I get that being told yes all the time when you're a high level athlete as a kid makes it harder to reign in bad behavior, but this isn't just that. I can't think of a time I ever did something wrong when I was a kid where I didn't know it was wrong. You just think you'll get away with it.
Mega props, this is how you handle this.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Players shouldn’t have their livelihoods ruined if they serve their time for their crimes.

They shouldnt if they added value as a doctor or engineer. But they are entertainers/public figures, their value is highly dependent on how they make the team look and if their fans want them. Realistically, even if they are not banned, most teams wont sign them. NHL teams have no obligation to give them a second chance.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Seems like it'd be more effective to shell out a few bucks for a small ad, which would then cover everyone's screen for the next few weeks.

(I kid because the ads are frustrating as hell, folks. I can empathize!)
giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe don’t have sexual intercourse with an unconscious person. Cant imagine what was going through their minds when they did it. They’re all younger than me by three years, consent was a big part of our sexual education classes

I just don't understand how people can think that's ok. Let alone these guys who could likely pull in any bar they go to.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They shouldnt if they added value as a doctor or engineer. But they are entertainers/public figures, their value is highly dependent on how they make the team look and if their fans want them. Realistically, even if they are not banned, most teams wont sign them. NHL teams have no obligation to give them a second chance.

I don’t disagree with this at all. They aren’t owed a NHL contract whatsoever, I just don’t think banning them from a league wide level makes any sense.

Let teams decide if they’re worth the backlash they come with. They likely will decide against it because they won’t be good enough after serving time. I just don’t think officially banning them is fair.

Dec 15, 2002
Craig MacTavish killed a woman and was allowed to have a long career.
Craig MacTavish served a year in jail for that, missing the entire 1984-85 season. And, he stated he was in a "human warehouse" with a 5' x 8' cell that had no plumbing, and commented that where he served 3 months of his sentence "is the biggest deterrent I've ever seen." And, maybe more critically, he was incredibly sorry for what happened and talked to the victim's family about it while in jail. Let's not pretend he got a weekend at the local country club and a nasty finger-wagging for it, while getting paid the entire time.

Feel free to juxtapose that against what's happened here.

Green Xero

I just don't care
Aug 2, 2023
Hell
So, you guys think the Salt Lake City news was a smokescreen to distract from this coverage?
Other way around. The leave of absences are Bettmans way of distracting people from noticing he's bringing in another team to a league that's already watered down and should just move or fold a couple they already have. Looking at you Coyotes. Lol...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Craig MacTavish served a year in jail for that, missing the entire 1984-85 season. And, he stated he was in a "human warehouse" with a 5' x 8' cell that had no plumbing, and commented that where he served 3 months of his sentence "is the biggest deterrent I've ever seen." And, maybe more critically, he was incredibly sorry for what happened and talked to the victim's family about it. Let's not pretend he got a weekend at the local country club and a nasty finger-wagging for it, while getting paid the entire time.

Yes and if these 5 players are found guilty & pay their debt to society, they should be allowed to play.

I wasn't trying to say MacTavish got away easy. M y point was, he did his time and was allowed to play again. Why can't these 5 guys?

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I bet Cale Makar is thanking himself every day that he is not involved in this shit show.
If this goes to trial a ton of players on that could be called as witnesses even if they weren't in that room since it started with most of the team drinking at Jack's in London and then led back to the Armory. If this drags through a trial, it could be incredibly messy.

Some players didn't attend the event. For example Victor Mete was on a family vacation.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Fair... But either way, they did do wrong and it was pretty disgusting.

They are accused of doing wrong. If the allegations bear themselves out and its proven they participated in this, then they have a lot more important issues to deal with other than just hoping to play in the NHL again. They could have a lengthy jail sentence ahead of them.

But being accused of a crime does not equate to being guilty of a crime. They have the presumption of innocence like anyone else accused of a crime. It's best that the NHL just let this thing play itself out before making any determinations about their NHL futures.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Craig MacTavish served a year in jail for that, missing the entire 1984-85 season. And, he stated he was in a "human warehouse" with a 5' x 8' cell that had no plumbing, and commented that where he served 3 months of his sentence "is the biggest deterrent I've ever seen." And, maybe more critically, he was incredibly sorry for what happened and talked to the victim's family about it while in jail. Let's not pretend he got a weekend at the local country club and a nasty finger-wagging for it, while getting paid the entire time.

Also, society was much more lax regarding drunk driving back then.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Other way around. The leave of absences are Bettmans way of distracting people from noticing he's bringing in another team to a league that's already watered down and should just move or fold a couple they already have. Looking at you Coyotes. Lol...
League needs to stay at 32. Unless the NFL goes beyond 32, there's zero reason for any other major pro league to go beyond that threshold. Coyotes are fine where they are if they get the new arena soon. SLC makes zero sense based on small market size and competing winter pro sports league (NBA).

Reactions: Green Xero
Dec 15, 2002
Yes and if these 5 players are found guilty & pay their debt to society, they should be allowed to play.

I wasn't trying to say MacTavish got away easy. M y point was, he did his time and was allowed to play again. Why can't these 5 guys?
Oh, got it.

I don't disagree outright, but I also think there are probably some things where, even if you "pay your debt to society" you've forfeited the right to stuff just from the broken trust that came with the act. But, that's a long discussion for another thread, on another site, and we're a long way away from getting to that intersection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad