Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I’m a father of three daughters, I’m biased as hell when it comes to stuff like this

But trying to suss out the details from media reports and argue what happened or didn’t happen is gross

The courts will be presented all of the details and the right decision will be made
I 100% agree with that (as a father of two daughters;)).

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Imagine you are a woman in a room with several men who just gangraped you, and now they're telling you to say something on camera. They have already proven to you that they have zero regard for your physical safety, so chances are you'll say whatever you think you have to in order to get out of that room.
Ooor, and hear me out, it's true that she gave consent. Time will tell.

On that note, if this whole thing ends up in "woman falsely accuses 5 men of rape" territory, what would be her punishment? Years in prison?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Lol how did Burke even find out about it?
No idea. Our league was kinda its own website so guests could view it. We hid alot of the content after that and the user changed his gm tag. We have a few pro scouts in the league so possibly one of them showed him as a joke? Dunno.

Reactions: Rob Brown

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Ooor, and hear me out, it's true that she gave consent. Time will tell.

On that note, if this whole thing ends up in "woman falsely accuses 5 men of rape" territory, what would be her punishment? Years in prison?
How many times in your life after having sex have you felt compelled to pull out a camera and ask the person you had sex with to confirm their consent?

Don't you think it's a bit of a weird impulse? It would absolutely never occur to me to do a thing like that because there has never been even the most minuscule doubt about consent.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
No idea. Our league was kinda its own website so guests could view it. We hid alot of the content after that and the user changed his gm tag. We have a few pro scouts in the league so possibly one of them showed him as a joke? Dunno.

Man that’s nothing, I had thousands of posts stolen and archived onto a watch list once

Online is a crazy place

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’ve always wondered what the culture is like and how tight these junior national teams. Seems wild to me to engage in a train but maybe I’m just a square. Major junior hockey has seemed to have a toxic culture for a long time

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
So are we still all sitting around here acting like we don’t all know who these 5 players are? Lmao only HF.
This is exactly why we can't. You say we all know who exactly the 5 players are. That's not speculating, that's stating a fact that isn't confirmed. If everybody used the correct language to speculate then it would be fine, but posters won't, so the rules are there to cut off that problem at the base. You can say you know who it is all you want, but the fact that you're saying that is exactly the reason that rule is in place.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Having someone record you after the fact saying it's fine when you're in a room full of guys who allegedly just assaulted you is not really consent. Like what is someone supposed to say, no and then they'll be able to leave no big deal?

Another question is, isn't it a little strange that they thought it was necessary after the fact to try and document her saying she was ok with what happened?

I really dont think thats strange if they dont want to be falsely accused. But what they should have done is just not participate.

Reactions: Jmo89

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
How many times in your life after having sex have you felt compelled to pull out a camera and ask the person you had sex with to confirm their consent?

Don't you think it's a bit of a weird impulse? It would absolutely never occur to me to do a thing like that because there has never been even the most minuscule doubt about consent.
Never in my life. I've also not been semi-famous and had puck bunnies asking to suck my D.

Right, because you've also never been in that situation.

For the record, I'm not saying they didn't do or that she begged for it. I'm just playing devils advocate. There's been more evidence ("evidence"?) provided showing she did consent to it then the other way around.

If they truely did rape her, then they deserve to sit in a cell. If she's truely lying about it, she deserves the same.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah. I think so.

Lets say this hypothetical story happened close to where I lived: A man was riding his pedal bike on a narrow, seldom used highway late at night. He was hit and killed by a drunk driver.

Now there is only one bad guy and only one person to blame in this story, the drunk driver. That said, I should be able to tell my kids that if they must ride their pedal bikes at night, to please not do it on poorly lit backroads, because who knows who you may encounter out there.

I certainly won't be telling them its their right to ride their bikes wherever and whenever they want, even though it is, because that is dangerous advice. Not everyone operates by the same rules.

The problem with this analogy is that riding a bike on a narrow seldom used highway late at night is inherently dangerous due to physical issues like lack of light and lack of room on the road whether or not the drunk driver is there.

To compare this to what happened likens men sexually assaulting women to a force of nature. An inevitability.

Whatever the metaphor, we can teach our children to be safe but that does not make them responsible for being sexually assaulted.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Ottawa literally let Formenton's rights expire because they knew this was coming.

The Devils (for example) chose to sign McCleod on July 1st 2023, all the while knowing this investigation was ongoing and that McCleod may in fact be indicted for being a rapist.
I find myself wondering how McLeod would have responded when he learned that the Devils signed Foote. Would he have felt happy? Anxious? Nervous?

Reactions: aylib

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
I’ve always wondered what the culture is like and how tight these junior national teams. Seems wild to me to engage in a train but maybe I’m just a square. Major junior hockey has seemed to have a toxic culture for a long time

There does seem to be a correlation with hockey players and this kind of stuff.

A lot of weird sex stuff in the hockey world at various levels and ages and preferences even

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
"Your honor, in my defense, the pizza was really, really good, it may be the best pizza I've ever had. I'd like to submit this extra large deluxe pizza for evidence ..."
Won't be able to see this gif the same way again.
XpscaFU.gif

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Having someone record you after the fact saying it's fine when you're in a room full of guys who allegedly just assaulted you is not really consent. Like what is someone supposed to say, no and then they'll be able to leave no big deal?

Another question is, isn't it a little strange that they thought it was necessary after the fact to try and document her saying she was ok with what happened?
Absolutely. But I imagine this is something they do every time players engage in this sort of degenerate behavior with women involved, in order to cover their asses in case there are any allegations after the fact. Hell, most celebrities make people sign NDAs and likely video the person giving consent as well.

I hope the court gets it right, and if this is a legitimate rape situation that these guys go to jail for a very long time.

This case is going to be an important one in determining what consent actually is between adults, and if something as clear as video evidence of the alleged victim giving consent (seemingly at the beginning and after the fact) is enough. Regret and shame are very real emotions, but mere regret and shame should not be the catalyst for rape accusations. I think we can all agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad