Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
There does seem to be a correlation with hockey players and this kind of stuff.

A lot of weird sex stuff in the hockey world at various levels and ages and preferences even

God.....I remember hearing about some hazings when I was in high school and at that point in time, while I always wished I was put in hockey, was thankful my parents didn't have the money.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Also imagine you are a woman in a room that just had consensual sex with 5 famous Canadian hockey players and now you want a payday...so you say it was rape, get a big settlement from Hockey Canada and now you can go after each of the 5 civilly...you're set for life in your early 20's and all you had to do was lie a little bit.
That easy, ‘lie a little bit’… sigh

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Don't be so sure, online posters (from forums and blogs) have been sued in canadian courts for libelous comments in the past for posting online rumours and specualtions as fact. Thats why we have out terms and conditions the prohibits it.

Yep. Websites and online hosts are prudent to exercise caution about what is "published" on their websites for public consumption. They can also theoretically be compelled to disclose identifying information in their possession about anonymous users. Unless you're very savvy in matters of online privacy, never assume you're being insulated by a username on a message board.

To put a finer spin on it, anyone with the resources and the spite to make your life difficult can file a frivolous or vexatious lawsuit (or threaten to bring one). The only thing better than having a good defence, is not having to make one in the first place.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The problem with this analogy is that riding a bike on a narrow seldom used highway late at night is inherently dangerous due to physical issues like lack of light and lack of room on the road whether or not the drunk driver is there.

To compare this to what happened likens men sexually assaulting women to a force of nature. An inevitability.

Whatever the metaphor, we can teach our children to be safe but that does not make them responsible for being sexually assaulted.
This conversation comes up every time this topic does. We need to draw a distinction between those actually trying to blame the victim and those trying to learn from the incident.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
There does seem to be a correlation with hockey players and this kind of stuff.

A lot of weird sex stuff in the hockey world at various levels and ages and preferences even
Junior hockey operates differently than high school sports. I’ve often thought that’s the problem for a few reasons

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What? Care to elaborate on that law or what you mean. I imagine quite a large percentage of sex is preceded by drinking alcohol
Legally in Canada you have to be sober to give consent, police statement, etc. If she wasnt sober she couldnt give consent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
God.....I remember hearing about some hazings when I was in high school and at that point in time, while I always wished I was put in hockey, was thankful my parents didn't have the money.
The most prominent school for hockey in Toronto had a huge hazing story related to its football team result in criminal charges a few years back.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
How many times in your life after having sex have you felt compelled to pull out a camera and ask the person you had sex with to confirm their consent?

Don't you think it's a bit of a weird impulse? It would absolutely never occur to me to do a thing like that because there has never been even the most minuscule doubt about consent.
I think if the defense can prove that this is something they do in all of these situations, then that argument falls short. If they did it uniquely for this one, you definitely have a point.

Reactions: HBK27

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
How many times in your life after having sex have you felt compelled to pull out a camera and ask the person you had sex with to confirm their consent?

Don't you think it's a bit of a weird impulse? It would absolutely never occur to me to do a thing like that because there has never been even the most minuscule doubt about consent.

To many a young man familiar with anything from the Duke Lacrosse case to the modern kangaroo courts around campus sexual assaults hearings, and yes I say "man" because a gender bias can be found as high up as Duke's Dean Wasiolek's given testimony, it wouldn't be weird at all.

People's fears absolutely don't need to align with statistical reality. Why are people more scared of sharks than pigs, when it's pigs that kill far more people? So no, I'm not surprised at all at the idea of young men (especially in a prominent position) having a statistically-out-of-line fear of a false accusation.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Sorry, bad legal takes on here are maybe the only thing that genuinely annoys me lol

office-michael-lawyers.gif

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't see this and I was curious. This is the linked news story that's being clipped in this thread.

The primary/sole source is the defense attorney for one of the players. The only thing she shared was facts that potentially exculpate her client and even then the writer put in details regarding "consent videos" and how reliable they are for such a defense.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
What? Care to elaborate on that law or what you mean. I imagine quite a large percentage of sex is preceded by drinking alcohol

I think it has to be more nuance than that cause the players werent sober either. If neither parties can provide consent then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad