OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The potato in of itself is healthy. Don't blame the potato for ketchup and oil...

Animal products have been shown to increase risk factors for numerous diseases. To say otherwise is to go against the scientific consensus held by everything from the World Health Organization, to the American Heart and Stroke Association etc
Thanks for proving my point.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Very little cheating on day 1 of my new diet. I had 1 piece of breath candy after dinner, one of those white little round things with red stripes. My date wanted to try this Vietnamese restaurant so we want. I did find a tofu/vegetable stir fry on rice. I ended up not using my allowance of fermented dairy today. I also had a beer (Tsing Tao), but I'm deciding that I'm just going to average 1 serving of alcohol a day and ignore the gluten in beer.

The main course did fulfill a stereotype of vegan food: too much rice, too much tofu, not enough vegetables. The tofu/vegetable stir fry seemed like it was about 80% tofu by volume.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Very little cheating on day 1 of my new diet. I had 1 piece of breath candy after dinner, one of those white little round things with red stripes. My date wanted to try this Vietnamese restaurant so we want. I did find a tofu/vegetable stir fry on rice. I ended up not using my allowance of fermented dairy today. I also had a beer (Tsing Tao), but I'm deciding that I'm just going to average 1 serving of alcohol a day and ignore the gluten in beer.

The main course did fulfill a stereotype of vegan food: too much rice, too much tofu, not enough vegetables. The tofu/vegetable stir fry seemed like it was about 80% tofu by volume.
You'll see that in restaurants because tofu and rice are cheap

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

They do that for you to feel full.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Poster A is vegan
Poster B to Z are omnivore
Posters B to Z are saying people should eat more fruits/veggies
Poster A constantly call them out a bunch of morons among other childish name calling
Poster A end up sharing what he call à great article, article saying people should eat more fruits/veggies without going full vegan

Poster A is a genius

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Poster A is vegan
Poster B to Z are omnivore
Posters B to Z are saying people should eat more fruits/veggies
Poster A constantly call them out a bunch of morons among other childish name calling
Poster A end up sharing what he call à great article, article saying people should eat more fruits/veggies without going full vegan

Poster A is a genius
He is a man full of contradictions. Honestly, I am not even sure he is a vegan.
He also admitted to using products from healthy store without even knowing if there is any actual benefits to them, like Himalayan salt, just because...you know...health store sells it therefore it must be better. Healthy grocery stores have no interest in overcharging their products and BS marketing tactics (superfood yall..), no no, they don't want to make money. They are pro-bono businesses with only honest and good intentions..

It's too bad because some of his arguments have merit, but he taints them with his sensationalist way of debating.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How your diet could influence the age of your menopause
High carb diet may hasten menopause
Link to original study:
http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2018/04/10/jech-2017-209887
Eating lots of pasta and rice was associated with reaching menopause one-and-a-half years earlier than the average age of women in the UK of 51.
However, the University of Leeds study of 914 UK women, also found that a diet rich in oily fish and peas and beans may delay natural menopause.
But experts say many other factors, including genes, influence timing of the menopause.
It's not clear how big a contribution dietary choices might make and women should not worry about changing what they eat based on the findings, they add.

Separately, some of you may have heard the claim that blood cholesterol is bad for you. It is true that people with worse cholesterol markers tend to have worse outcomes, but it doesn't follow that the cholesterol causes the worst outcomes, it could for example be the body protecting itself from other disease, or that the cholesterol is something that happens to sick people (a symptom) but not the disease-causer itself.

This is a large randomized trial of a cholesterol-lowering drug:
Cardiovascular event reduction with PCSK9 inhibition among 1578 patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: Results from the SPIRE randomized tria... - PubMed - NCBI
They found that lowering cholesterol with drugs has no effect on improving health. What this suggests is that the bad cholesterol markers in sick people is merely correlated with heart disease, and not what causes heart disease.

That said there seems to be a lot of debate online with respect to this study, so perhaps there's more to the story.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He is a man full of contradictions. Honestly, I am not even sure he is a vegan.
He also admitted to using products from healthy store without even knowing if there is any actual benefits to them, like Himalayan salt, just because...you know...health store sells it therefore it must be better. Healthy grocery stores have no interest in overcharging their products and BS marketing tactics (superfood yall..), no no, they don't want to make money. They are pro-bono businesses with only honest and good intentions..

It's too bad because some of his arguments have merit, but he taints them with his sensationalist way of debating.
I'm really in your head, aren't I...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm really in your head, aren't I...
In case you haven't noticed, you are the only one that posts in this thread with your opinion. Cobra comes in from time to time (mod), and I had no problem answering him too. That's about it.
There's maybe 5 regular posters in this thread, I answer to everyone, so don't give yourself too much praise.

Last edited by a moderator:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
In case you haven't noticed, you are the only one that posts in this thread with your opinion. Cobra comes in from time to time to troll, and I had no problem answering him too. That's about it.
There's maybe 5 regular posters in this thread, I answer to everyone, so don't give yourself too much praise.
Well you remember stuff I've done that I barely remember myself. Put random pantry items in my smoothie? Buy stuff recommended by my friend at the health food store? Really, that's the best you've got to discredit me? Instead of keeping that list on me, you should just really try taking in the information I'm giving as opposed to fighting tooth and nail to defend your position. If you like meat, dairy and eggs, find them tasty and convenient, good for you, ignore my posts. I'm not the one constantly quoting you trying to argue with you, posting stuff to inflame you etc...

We move on...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Link to original study:
Dietary intake and age at natural menopause: results from the UK Women’s Cohort Study
Eating lots of pasta and rice was associated with reaching menopause one-and-a-half years earlier than the average age of women in the UK of 51.
However, the University of Leeds study of 914 UK women, also found that a diet rich in oily fish and peas and beans may delay natural menopause.
But experts say many other factors, including genes, influence timing of the menopause.
It's not clear how big a contribution dietary choices might make and women should not worry about changing what they eat based on the findings, they add.

Separately, some of you may have heard the claim that blood cholesterol is bad for you. It is true that people with worse cholesterol markers tend to have worse outcomes, but it doesn't follow that the cholesterol causes the worst outcomes, it could for example be the body protecting itself from other disease, or that the cholesterol is something that happens to sick people (a symptom) but not the disease-causer itself.

Cardiovascular event reduction with PCSK9 inhibition among 1578 patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: Results from the SPIRE randomized tria... - PubMed - NCBI
They found that lowering cholesterol with drugs has no effect on improving health. What this suggests is that the bad cholesterol markers in sick people is merely correlated with heart disease, and not what causes heart disease.

That said there seems to be a lot of debate online with respect to this study, so perhaps there's more to the story.
Check out this podcast, I think you might like it. First hour is maybe just chit chat, after that though they discuss more about nutrition, PEDs, fasting, longevity, etc.
Found it quite interesting myself.

EDIT: Sorry..not really related to your post.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
This thread is a pretty informative thread on nutrition and fitness. Lets keep out the personal shots out of the discussion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The majority of today's lunch (also had a small tomato soup that was listed as "may contain milk and eggs"), Mrp1b is no doubt triggered:
IMG_20180501_123307.png

There's a possible cheat in the tomato soup (shown top left), and in the salad as it contains dried cranberries which are almost certainly spiked with added sugar, so two cheats thus far today.

There are not a lot of options on campus that fit these restrictions, but the salad bar works. I selected mixed greens + cranberries base, then broccoli, onions, zucchini, chickpeas, water chestnuts, (I picked those five from a broader selection) olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and tofu. The weak link was the tofu which tastes like cardboard.

ETA: There's the annual workplace picnic this Thursday, I may or may not go. If I go I'll likely cheat and cheat badly, but if I don't go it means that I'm avoiding situations to protect an activity, which fulfills the definition of addictive behaviour. So perhaps I should go and cheat and just mark it down.

Reactions: Andrei79

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
In case you haven't noticed, you are the only one that posts in this thread with your opinion. Cobra comes in from time to time to troll, and I had no problem answering him too. That's about it.
Ok there buddy, i completely destroyed and owned you with facts and debunked all of your stupid anti-vegan arguments, if you want me to do it again i have no problem, but it's you who will look rediculous again. Say the word and i will re-educate you since nothing sinked in.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Link to original study:
Dietary intake and age at natural menopause: results from the UK Women’s Cohort Study

while it is not the cause of all heart deseases, it does cause some (Infarctus for example) of them, I doubt there's any debate on that.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ok there buddy, i completely destroyed and owned you with facts and debunked all of your stupid anti-vegan arguments, if you want me to do it again i have no problem, but it's you who will look rediculous again. Say the word and i will re-educate you since nothing sinked in.
all you do is make personnal attacks whenever you reply to someone, you're not educating anyone. this thread was just fine before you and one or two others decided to pollute it.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
all you do is make personnal attacks whenever you reply to someone, you're not educating anyone. this thread was just fine before you and one or two others decided to pollute it.
Nice try, but there is no personal attack in there. (MOD) You have no arguments and very little knowledge about nutrition based on our previous encounters in here. You have contributed nothing to this debate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I'm pretty sure I responded to your list of points about humans not being made to eat meat and yet you never acknowledged my answer.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I'm pretty sure nobody is anti-vegan here. What people are arguing against is a ridiculous list of arguments presented by vegans to prove their choice of lifestyle.

Reactions: ECWHSWI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad