OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The literature doesn't seem to be clear on that question, or maybe it is and I'm simply failing to find the truth.

Officially, all protein (animal, vegetable, etc) is assumed in labelling to be 100% converted to energy at a rate of 4 calories per gram. Most amino acids are converted to glucose, and some are converted to ketones.

In practice, the rate is sometimes as low as 2 calories per gram, and it will often be 0 calories per gram if the amino acids are instead used as building blocks rather than converted to fuel, which obviously happens in nature. The fuel effect might be metabolically neutral for body composition, as some studies suggest that energy from protein goes directly into higher metabolism / body heat, and thus doesn't get converted into fat.

It is interesting how babies are very efficient at using protein. Breast milk is around 7% protein, that means babies get 10 grams of protein a day about. With that, they put on 10 lbs of mostly lean tissue of all types (bone, muscle, brain, skin, organs, etc) within 6 months.

I guess I was taking it a bit more literal as I automatically associate plants with veggies, and therefore carbs, which is the primary source of energy (fuel). Different from animal proteins. But maybe that was just my misunderstanding.

With regards to the documentary telling people to consult with nutritionists ... they all should. I'm surprised that nearly none of these documentaries and books have been sued yet. Their health advice generally does not apply to everybody.
I think this is one of the biggest reasons why people laugh at those documentaries, and working in this field, I actually do not know one nutritionist that advises clients to go vegan.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What I eat on a daily, cheat day once a week

Breakfast
4-5 whole eggs
Huile Pépin de raisin
Balkan Yogourt Organic 2 scoops
3/4 cup All Bran Buds
Almond Milk

Meal 1
Horse meat 150g (cook)
RW Garcia Sweet Potatoes Cracker (36)
1 scoop Karbolyn (Before Gym)

After Shock (Gym)
60 g Oatmeal
2 scoop Iso Gold

Meal 2
150 g horse meat (cook)
85 G Veggies
200 G Rice

Meal 3
200 G chicken
85 G veggies

4-6 L of water a day

Before Bed :
Niet Intermittent fasting 14hr

Total : Approx 2 800 calories

6' 225 lbs
13 % bodyfat going down to 8 %
225 lbs at 13% BF thats neat.

Either BSing
On stuff
Or bsin and on stuff.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
225 lbs at 13% BF thats neat.

Either BSing
On stuff
Or bsin and on stuff.

My legs are build like a tree. Some people have shitty leg genetic and can do 100 pull up and weight 160. I dont look 225 because of the leg part that most lack. It's not like I started lifting last year

As for gear, of course. I did my first cycle of Test E after 15 yrs of doing it clean (i'm 32). 1 cc Per week for 10 weeks

1 cc is nothingggggg but still gave me nice pump. On to the next level

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Mostly potatoes and rice. Sometimes barley and noodles. Pasta (rarely) too.

Nowadays I'm only eating potatoes in poutines, rice in curries, and pasta as a stand-alone dish.

Starches might not have been the better word here. If a usual meal is Meat+Veggies+Other... Well... I'm cutting down on the "Other".
Starches in of themselves are a wonderful food to build meals around. People mistake the unhealthy aspect of a frenchfry being the potato when in reality it's the nasty oil it's been fried in. Much like with sugar, it's misunderstood. You should be looking to avoid refined and processed sugars and carbs, but the carbs and sugars that naturally exist in whole foods like potatoes and fruits are wonderfully healthful.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Starches in of themselves are a wonderful food to build meals around. People mistake the unhealthy aspect of a frenchfry being the potato when in reality it's the nasty oil it's been fried in. Much like with sugar, it's misunderstood. You should be looking to avoid refined and processed sugars and carbs, but the carbs and sugars that naturally exist in whole foods like potatoes and fruits are wonderfully healthful.
You should apply this thinking to something else...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My legs are build like a tree. Some people have ****ty leg genetic and can do 100 pull up and weight 160. I dont look 225 because of the leg part that most lack. It's not like I started lifting last year

As for gear, of course. I did my first cycle of Test E after 15 yrs of doing it clean (i'm 32). 1 cc Per week for 10 weeks

1 cc is nothingggggg but still gave me nice pump. On to the next level
So you talk smack about testosterone levels and you literally are taking testosterone...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You should apply this thinking to something else...

And why would I want to do that? If you want to eat meat, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, but it's not going to help me in any way... and we've already gone over how harmful it is environmentally....

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
So you talk smack about testosterone levels and you literally are taking testosterone...

I was low on testoterone BEFORE taking any roids ... i never took anything except Ritalin and Adderall for 32 yrs of my life which cause to lower my Testoterone levels. I'm talking smack about Big Pharma

Now I have no energy crash, no depression that come and go for no reason, no extreme lethargy, and most of all I can feel real human emotion again

I was taking Adderalls pills I was taking (20 MG a day). Now, It's a life changer

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And why would I want to do that? If you want to eat meat, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, but it's not going to help me in any way... and we've already gone over how harmful it is environmentally....
Because the discussions were never about what you, yourself specifically, eats. You can eat dog food with broken glass for all I care. Your life, you are free to do whatever you want.
You have no problem pointing out the difference between how a potato is fine, the bad part is that nasty oil it's fried with, yet you categorically demonize animal protein as if eating salami equals wagyu grassfed.

Reactions: Paddyjack

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Because the discussions were never about what you, yourself specifically, eats. You can eat dog food with broken glass for all I care. Your life, you are free to do whatever you want.
You have no problem pointing out the difference between how a potato is fine, the bad part is that nasty oil it's fried with, yet you categorically demonize animal protein as if eating salami equals wagyu grassfed.
The bolded is a fact, the rest is just... I don't even know what you're referring to, what your point is, or how it's relevant to anything I've said....

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The word youre looking for is carb, and no, dont cut them out, at least completely.
Its a lot of case by case too. People have had success with 0 carbs, others have had success with 400g of carbs. A good place to start is cutting sugars and refined carbs.

I was on a sub 100g of carb a day diet for long, my waist got thinner, my energy levels went up, my appetite was easier to control but i had time translating that to strength in the gym, so i went from sub 100Gs to 200g and now im doing much better.

Obviously this was probably just a caloric deficit working against my strength gains rather than the carbs, but its pretty hard to hit your caloric targets with lower carb.

Ive also experienced with 0 carbs or next to no carbs and it seems to be a good option, but eating enough calories with meat and veggies is tough.

Tl;dr eat less carbs, dont cut out good carbs, cut out sugar
?
Profit

The problem is -- I'll never cut on beer. At least not completely.
It's just that I'm maxing out at 2L/week (and I'm usually closer to 1L/week) instead of, well, 5L.

And it's not like I need to lose weight -- I'm hovering around 170 and 175 pounds (5'8 with an average-slim built) after shooting up to 190 pounds after quitting smoking because I was eating like a madman because everything I (or anyone else for that matter) was cooking was suddenly fucking good. Hell, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go below 165 pounds -- it's just, you know, the gut.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The bolded is a fact, the rest is just... I don't even know what you're referring to, what your point is, or how it's relevant to anything I've said....

A potato can be healthy or part of a healthy diet. For example if it's eaten with the skin (which contains a lot of the good stuff), not so cooked that all of the micronutrients are heated into oblivion, and complemented by herbs and fresh olive oil, or paired with other vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, etc. There's been some commentary recently on resistant starch.

A potato can also be unhealthy if it's deep fried beyond the smoke point of the frying oil, the skin removed, and then drowned in ketchup. Alternatively, a potato can be converted into vodka and then paired with endless gallons of pasteurized orange juice.

Kriss's point is that the same duality can be applied to a lot of animal products, and it's one that you're sometimes failing to acknowledge.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's just that I'm maxing out at 2L/week (and I'm usually closer to 1L/week) instead of, well, 5L.

And it's not like I need to lose weight -- I'm hovering around 170 and 175 pounds (5'8 with an average-slim built) after shooting up to 190 pounds after quitting smoking because I was eating like a madman because everything I (or anyone else for that matter) was cooking was suddenly fucking good. Hell, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to go below 165 pounds -- it's just, you know, the gut.
You can be 175lbs and perfectly unhealthy, or 165 and perfectly healthy.
Weight doesn't necessarily reflect health levels.

Reactions: BeastMode420

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
A potato can be healthy or part of a healthy diet. For example if it's eaten with the skin (which contains a lot of the good stuff), not so cooked that all of the micronutrients are heated into oblivion, and complemented by herbs and fresh olive oil, or paired with other vegetables such as cauliflower, carrots, etc. There's been some commentary recently on resistant starch.

A potato can also be unhealthy if it's deep fried beyond the smoke point of the frying oil, the skin removed, and then drowned in ketchup. Alternatively, a potato can be converted into vodka and then paired with endless gallons of pasteurized orange juice.

Kriss's point is that the same duality can be applied to a lot of animal products, and it's one that you're sometimes failing to acknowledge.
The potato in of itself is healthy. Don't blame the potato for ketchup and oil...

Animal products have been shown to increase risk factors for numerous diseases. To say otherwise is to go against the scientific consensus held by everything from the World Health Organization, to the American Heart and Stroke Association etc

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
You can be 175lbs and perfectly unhealthy, or 165 and perfectly healthy.
Weight doesn't necessarily reflect health levels.

I know that. And I could be very unhealthy at 165 pounds, too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I dont think you should care about your weight, you should however care about your health.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Correct. So just mentioning the weight can be pretty pointless.
What are your goals exactly?

I dont think you should care about your weight, you should however care about your health.

Gradually cut on the gut, and tone up a bit (not talking about "adding" muscle here -- though I do some weight/muscle training).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gradually cut on the gut, and tone up a bit (not talking about "adding" muscle here -- though I do some weight/muscle training).
Then yea, start cutting out those starchy foods and include more veggies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think that the only credible arguments "against" a larger fraction of vegetables in the diet are if:

1) You need to limit carbs due to epilepsy;
2) You have allergies;
3) You have a limited budget;

If those concerns apply to you then you might need to be more careful, otherwise most of us would all benefit from eating more veggies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The potato in of itself is healthy. Don't blame the potato for ketchup and oil...

Animal products have been shown to increase risk factors for numerous diseases. To say otherwise is to go against the scientific consensus held by everything from the World Health Organization, to the American Heart and Stroke Association etc
you probably don't understand the simple math behind risk increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad