Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
I'm pretty sure management has this upcoming year to make some real progress or its adios, at least in an ideal scenario. The sooner the front office is jettisoned the better. Problem is, who replaces Blake and Co? I could see Bergevin snaking his way into the top spot, but he is arguably worse than Blake. If I were AEG I'd bring Lombardi back as a shadow GM, similar to how Edmonton runs things. Pretty sure that bridge is already burned tho...
If they clean house they need to go full cleaning, if they pick and choose, well then Luc has to be first to with Bergevin. Then you can bring a real hockey president that look and evaluate Blake, see what he can without Luc and Bergevin interference. Lombardi, would not come back everthingbi have heard from or about him, he loved what he's doing on his Ranch. I would be ok with Mike Futa coming in to consult, but my feeling bv would be I'd rather bring in someone from a Carolina, Florida or Rangers or Tampa.

Reactions: Piston and Omni Owl

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I was told by someone in the organization that they tried to re-sign Matt Roy so I know that's true.

They also made it sound like they expect Clarke to be full time this year. Had Roy been re-signed I'm not sure what they would have done with Spence, I didn't ask. I should have.

This person unintentionally made it sound the Kings don't have much of a set plan or direction. Brought up Florida almost missing the playoffs last year as an example of how you just need to get in. That was depressing to hear.

The organization takes a look at what people are saying on social media.

Ownership pays very close attention to the team. Not just Phil, but the whole family.

I was told Fagemo will be given a chance.

Edmundson is better than Burroughs/Englund in their eyes. Other teams were trying to sign him. Sounded like the term is probably what got him to sign here. Compared him to Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene. I said Edmundson had poor defensive analytics, they said they have their own analytics.
Goddam, check out our new insider! :bow:

On Dubois, "I feel like the media paints this picture of him, and to me it couldn't be further from the truth... He's a great teammate and great locker room guy... I don't know where the media gets this stuff"

Roughly around 13:30.

I didn’t watch this but I did watch the PL session with the DC media. And I think if he was our 2C last year, Todd McLellan would still be the coach.

We can crucify the player, but isn’t it more likely the GM is incompetent and the coach has no real authority?

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
Goddam, check out our new insider! :bow:

I didn’t watch this but I did watch the PL session with the DC media. And I think if he was our 2C last year, Todd McLellan would still be the coach.

We can crucify the player, but isn’t it more likely the GM is incompetent and the coach has no real authority?
Management at this point is borderline incompetent, Blucergevin has to go for this team needs to move forward to have any chance of winning a Cup again

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I have some concerns about the defense for next year. Watched some Edmundson videos & while he's willing to fight, he should stay away from heavy weights. The King's should ice a better scrapper on defense in addition to Edmundson.

Now where to fit all this toughness into 6 spots?

Edit: How long until we can offer sheet Rempe?

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Are we extending or trading Gavrikov before the season starts so the King's don't end up losing him for nothing like Lizotte?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Well none of that is encouraging in my eyes. Ownership pays attention to what people say. Well if that was the case They would have removed Luc and Blake and bring in fresh people outside Kings family. They have their own analytics, well maybe that's why we are where we are at. If they compared to Matt Greene, love greener, but we dont need 3 of them. Willie Mitchell, not even in same ballpark.
Just my opinion, but the way I see it ownership doesn't get it
He said "we (as in the organization) go over what people say on social media." I'm not sure if he meant ownership.

He said ownership and fam (even mentioned the kids) pay close attention to the team. I'll assume since the kids are younger they're probably on social media and see stuff.

They also looked at Ian Cole, BTW.

Regarding the Kings' analytics, he said they go over 70K events per game: 1st pass, finishing checks and winning battles are some of the stuff they look at. Seemed to place a heavy emphasis on winning puck battles. Also said the analytics you see online are 5-10 years behind. (Personally I don't believe that). He said it's not just the Kings, but every NHL team

The Edmundson you saw on Montreal's' cup run is the guy they want.

Anecdotally, I have to give the Kings and ownership a lot of credit on this one. They had no reason to talk to me. But not only did they give me a response, they literally had someone from the Kings' organization give me a call. I sure as hell wasn't expecting that. It showed they care. I was pretty critical, and they were still nice about it and even encouraged it.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
He said "we (as in the organization) go over what people say on social media." I'm not sure if he meant ownership.

He said ownership and fam (even mentioned the kids) pay close attention to the team. I'll assume since the kids are younger they're probably on social media and see stuff.

Regarding the Kings' analytics, he said they go over 70K events per game: 1st pass, finishing checks and winning battles are some of the stuff they look at. Seemed to place a heavy emphasis on winning puck battles. Also said the analytics you see online are 5-10 years behind. (Personally I don't believe that). He said it's not just the Kings, but every NHL team

Anecdotally, I have to give the Kings and ownership a lot of credit on this one. They had no reason to talk to me. But not only did they give me a response, they literally had someone from the Kings' organization give me a call. I sure as hell wasn't expecting that. It showed they care. I was pretty critical, and they were still nice about it and even encouraged it.
i wonder if "5 years behind" is kind of a suggestion that they're looking at certain events that that mainstream analytics community isn't valuing right now. i do think that's a bit of BS either way but that's a very impressive run of questions and answers so credit to both you for pushing it and AEG for not just boilerplating the response. it's kind of a shame you have to effectively go above our media's heads to get that information

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

1) Cool story.

B) If they really did that much analysis how did they not figure out PL was a bad fit for the role they wanted him to play?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Also said the analytics you see online are 5-10 years behind. (Personally I don't believe that).
I do. I was personally collecting advanced stats 25-30 years ago. That included the analysis. That included what was essentially XG but just presented differently. It was not shared outside the team. Nothing similar was out there in public. It was probably unique in the UK but I know it wasn’t in NA.

So yes they’ll have their own stuff that’s ahead of the game, most of the teams will. I say most because there is always the odd dinosaur.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I thought CapFriendly was going to be shut down on July 5. Did they change their minds, or have they not gone through the process of privatizing it?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

It's not 100% done yet, but it's risen like a Phoenix!!!

Cool. I’m impressed, not an insignificant task.

Although my initial pessimism was based on not realising there was an API to access the data.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad