Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Maybe because Czech extraliga is one of the best in europe, better than DEL and comparable to Liiga and Slovak league hardly on EBEL level? U can use my argument with Jiricek vs Nemec. Everybody was salivating over Nemec being point per game player in Slovakia and now it shows that Jiricek is not only better defensively but offensively too. And you will see same with Eduard Sale once he is in AHL.
I zgree that the Czech Liga is stronger. However I don't think Jiricek dropped because of scouting missperception of the leagues strength but rather because of his injury :)

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
That's probably a very small pool to pick from

Thats the point

Only elite/generational players do it.

Yet people are acting here like he's been a disappointment. Far from the truth.

He showed his skills, speed and IQ are elite and he deserves to be sent to the AHL ASAP

MariaElena

Apr 20, 2012
Thats the point

Only elite/generational players do it.

Yet people are acting here like he's been a disappointment. Far from the truth.

He showed his skills, speed and IQ are elite and he deserves to be sent to the AHL ASAP
Yes. The only players who manage an astonishing 1P/G playing their first OHL season at 18 are elite/generational players. Well known game-breaking talents such as:

Sasha Pastujov (1.17 PPG)
Matvei Petrov (1.47 PPG)
Yevgeni Oksentyuk (1.34 PPG)
Yegor Afanasyev (1.08 PPG)
Janne Kuokkanen (1.03 PPG)
Jeremy Bracco (1.31 PPG)
Christian Fischer (1.36 PPG)
Julius Nättinen (1.37 PPG)
Sonny Milano (1.36 PPG)
André Burakovsky (1.53 PPG)
Tanner Richard (1.12 PPG)
Steven Beyers (0.98 PPG)

:sarcasm:

Stats may not be everything, but it's not encouraging to see that the only comparables you can find for your recently drafted 1st round pick are AHL/NHL tweeners, busts, and guys who are working 9-5 jobs in their mid-20s. (I mean, I didn't look very hard - I'm sure there's probably at least one good comparable)

But hey, darling, that's André Burakovsky on the list :naughty:. Yeah sure he's scoring a lot more... but there's still hope! Maybe Mesar's game translates perfectly to the NHL; or maybe his development curve turns out to be super sexy. We'll see in a few years.

Last edited:

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
PPG in the CHL for other forwards drafted early last year:

4 Wright: 1.75
9 Savoie: 1.48
11 Geekie: 1.16
22 Gaucher: 1.08
26 Mesar: 0.95
30 Lambert: 1.42
32 Schaefer: 1.08
35 Firkus: 1.25
39 Ludwinski: 0.72
44 Del Bel Belluz: 1.24
47 Haight: 1.14

Mesar's production is towards the lower end of this list, but it doesn't seem to be completely disappointing to me either. I'm hoping to see him finish the season strong.

I think that if we also consider Mesar's performance at the WJC in "best on best" competition with 6 pts in 5 games it also shows how he's still a very bright prospect for us. Schaefer had 1 point in 7 games with his limited ice time. Lambert had 1 goal in 5 games. Gaucher had 4 points in 7 games. Wright had 7 points in 7 games. Mesar looked like a real weapon at the WJC. Lots of time to develop.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Yes. The only players who manage an astonishing 1P/G playing their first OHL season at 18 are elite/generational players. Well known game-breaking talents such as:

Matvei Petrov (1.47 PPG)
Jeremy Bracco (1.31 PPG)
Sonny Milano (1.36 PPG)
Steven Beyers (0.98 PPG)

Stats may not be everything, but it's not encouraging to see that the only comparables you can find for your recently drafted 1st round pick are AHL/NHL tweeners, busts, and guys who are working 9-5 jobs in their mid-20s. (I mean, I didn't look very hard - I'm sure there's probably at least one good comparable)

But hey, darling, that's André Burakovsky on the list :naughty:. Yeah sure he's scoring a lot more... but there's still hope! Maybe Mesar's game translates perfectly to the NHL; or maybe his development curve turns out to be super sexy. We'll see in a few years.

Out of all the players you mentioned only Jeremy Bracco was comparable in size and skills and failed.

The first 2 are leading the OHL right now, not sure how it helps your case

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Mesar will be a 90 pts player in the NHL

He's a general on the PP
Killer playmaker
Precise one-timer

If Hutson is the true 1st OA of 2022, Mesar might very well be the 2nd OA

I dont care what the casuals who dont watch him play have to say about him, we've stumbled on something special.

The best part is he's doing all this with the engines running at 40% capacity, he's so smart out there, he rarely fights for the puck, rarely wastes energies for nothing...

The ceiling for Mesar is high, very high.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006

He's a general on the PP
Killer playmaker
Precise one-timer

I dont care what the casuals who dont watch him play have to say about him, we've stumbled on something special.

The best part is he's doing all this with the engines running at 40% capacity, he's so smart out there, he rarely fights for the puck, rarely wastes energies for nothing...

90 points? Care to make a wager?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

He's a general on the PP
Killer playmaker
Precise one-timer

So Habs drafted the true 1st OA with Hutson, the true 2nd OA with Mesar, the true 3rd OA with Slaf, the true 4th OA with Beck, the true 5th OA with Engstrom and the true 6th OA with Rohrer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I see him as a Tatar like player. I hate comparing but they have similar styles.

Would be nice if he could be Tatar.

I see Samsonov - a lot of exaggerated stick handling. Hopefully if he looks like Samsonov at the NHL level, he's more productive though...

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Would be nice if he could be Tatar.

I see Samsonov - a lot of exaggerated stick handling. Hopefully if he looks like Samsonov at the NHL level, he's more productive though...
Meh, this pick was terrible the minute Slaf heard the news. What a waste of a 1st. Might as well have taken Brad Lambert, at least you know with him it's mental not physical skill.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

He's a general on the PP
Killer playmaker
Precise one-timer

200 pts player.
1668795212-2000.png

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

Matvei Petrov (1.47 PPG)
Jeremy Bracco (1.31 PPG)
Sonny Milano (1.36 PPG)
Steven Beyers (0.98 PPG)

This is interessting to see those stats. But, Burakovsky was also a big man and he scored a lot in the OHL. Big guys production during they draft year and D1, are lower most of the time. Mesar is a small player, combined with a low PPG, thats more concerning imo.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Maybe because Czech extraliga is one of the best in europe, better than DEL and comparable to Liiga and Slovak league hardly on EBEL level? U can use my argument with Jiricek vs Nemec. Everybody was salivating over Nemec being point per game player in Slovakia and now it shows that Jiricek is not only better defensively but offensively too. And you will see same with Eduard Sale once he is in AHL.
Nemec is gonna be a stud…. Lead his team with +15, and 21 pts in 50 games in the AHL at 18 years old. He could have the same stats at 20 years old and it would also be impressive. Jiricek play a more dynamic game I agree. But it’s like saying Subban (jiricek) vs Markov (nemec), wich one you prefer? They are different player, and they gonna have important role.

Reactions: GettingYourMoms

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
This is interessting to see those stats. But, Burakovsky was also a big man and he scored a lot in the OHL. Big guys production during they draft year and D1, are lower most of the time. Mesar is a small player, combined with a low PPG, thats more concerning imo.

low ppg?

lol.... you mean PPG he's 46 pts in 46 games.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
PPG in the CHL for other forwards drafted early last year:

4 Wright: 1.75
9 Savoie: 1.48
11 Geekie: 1.16
22 Gaucher: 1.08
26 Mesar: 0.95
30 Lambert: 1.42
32 Schaefer: 1.08
35 Firkus: 1.25
39 Ludwinski: 0.72
44 Del Bel Belluz: 1.24
47 Haight: 1.14

Mesar's production is towards the lower end of this list, but it doesn't seem to be completely disappointing to me either. I'm hoping to see him finish the season strong.

I think that if we also consider Mesar's performance at the WJC in "best on best" competition with 6 pts in 5 games it also shows how he's still a very bright prospect for us. Schaefer had 1 point in 7 games with his limited ice time. Lambert had 1 goal in 5 games. Gaucher had 4 points in 7 games. Wright had 7 points in 7 games. Mesar looked like a real weapon at the WJC. Lots of time to develop.
Weight, Geekie, Savoie, Gaucher, Lambert, Schaefer are all playing on stacked teams while Kitchener has been trash for the most part of the season, furthermore, kid had to adjust to a new league, new culture, new teammates, new system ect.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

He's a general on the PP
Killer playmaker
Precise one-timer

That guy lmfao, can i get the same weed?

Reactions: DAChampion

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
low ppg?

lol.... you mean PPG he's 46 pts in 46 games.
1.00 aav point per game isnt that impressive in D1 OHL. Especially for a tiny guy. You can say, this is because he isnt use too play hockey in north america. But I expect at least 1,40 aav point per game to have a hope for a top 6 in the NHL…

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Weight, Geekie, Savoie, Gaucher, Lambert, Schaefer are all playing on stacked teams while Kitchener has been trash for the most part of the season, furthermore, kid had to adjust to a new league, new culture, new teammates, new system ect.
Trash team or not, Brayden Point, D1 were killing hit even if his team was bad. (91 pts /72 games). His Ratio +/- was bad, but like you said, he played on a trash team.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Trash team or not, Brayden Point, D1 were killing hit even if his team was bad. (91 pts /72 games). His Ratio +/- was bad, but like you said, he played on a trash team.
Yeah I’ve been sanguine about Mesar and feel like his development is on track but you cannot deny he is not producing enough.

Look at it this way: productivity matters more when you play against not-NHL calibre potential players. Conversely, team and environment contexts matter more as you have more NHL calibre potential opponents.

Putting Mesar’s stats in context is basically rationalizing his under-production. More than half of his opponents and defenders he plays against will be plumbers and builders. He should be stacking points no matter his own team’s roster makeup. Good playmakers make good plays!

But even if he’s not stacking points, it’s not the end of the world — it’s all part of his development progress and he’s still very young. Expect lots more ups and downs to come.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Yeah I’ve been sanguine about Mesar and feel like his development is on track but you cannot deny he is not producing enough.

Look at it this way: productivity matters more when you play against not-NHL calibre potential players. Conversely, team and environment contexts matter more as you have more NHL calibre potential opponents.

Putting Mesar’s stats in context is basically rationalizing his under-production. More than half of his opponents and defenders he plays against will be plumbers and builders. He should be stacking points no matter his own team’s roster makeup. Good playmakers make good plays!

But even if he’s not stacking points, it’s not the end of the world — it’s all part of his development progress and he’s still very young. Expect lots more ups and downs to come.

Hockey mentality. He was visibly trained a different way. The only thing preventing Mesar from scoring 2pts/game. Its just a matter of time.

The playoffs and hopefully some AHL time this year will tell us more about where Mesar is in his development. 100% guarantee his skills will translate into the NHL, he's very fast and agile and always keeps his head up.

Reactions: cphabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Hockey mentality. He was visibly trained a different way. The only thing preventing Mesar from scoring 2pts/game. Its just a matter of time.

The playoffs and hopefully some AHL time this year will tell us more about where Mesar is in his development. 100% guarantee his skills will translate into the NHL, he's very fast and agile and always keeps his head up.
And if he doesn't, what do I get in return for this guarantee?

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad