Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
This thread is becoming cringy like the Slafkovsky one.

Obviously we would have expected Mesar to produce more in the OHL but it can be taken into context, he has also shown big skills flashes.

What is really important is how he improves from there and how he will progress. He may have a killer season in the AHL or next year. He may disappoint again. We will see. But we need way more data to have a clear assessment.

A similar example is Fabian Lysell, he "disappointed" in his D+1 in the OHL. I haven't seen him play in the AHL this season but he has 27 points in 33 games and i have read some good things on him.

Dont forget that drafting after 20-25 overall is most likely B-tier and speculative prospects and the hit rate is low.
Infraction bait…

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'll tell you now, Mesar was ready to play in the AHL. The management decided to send him to the OHL because they're simply incompetent.

It doesn't matter who they were drafting, that player would have been sent down to the OHL.

I'm glad they chose Mesar because he looks like he's going to be a top 10 playmaker in the NHL one day and these types of players we desperately need.
I honestly believe that Mesar was sent to the OHL to help him get integrated into North American life through his stay with a billet family. People are overlooking that and an interview with Mesar had discussed how much he appreciated his billet family.

This is not a Slafkovsky Slovak who was used to live away from home at 15 or 16...

The kid will mature and grow in confidence overall. Give him time...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
will be very interesting to see how this 2022 draft class shakes out

Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Rohrer, Davidson, Nurmi... amazed that some look at that draft class and find reason to complain :dunno:

If there was a redraft today and we walked away with Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Rohrer and Engstrom in the first 3 rounds, people would be ecstatic.

If Mesar, who looked very good at the WJs and is putting up a PPG in his first season in North America is our biggest concern, it shows how solid this draft is looking.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I honestly believe that Mesar was sent to the OHL to help him get integrated into North American life through his stay with a billet family. People are overlooking that and an interview with Mesar had discussed how much he appreciated his billet family.

This is not a Slafkovsky Slovak who was used to live away from home at 15 or 16...

The kid will mature and grow in confidence overall. Give him time...
What I saw from him at the WJC tells me this kid has excellent potential. The speed and skill...late first round picks rarely amount to much sadly. The rarity is Pastrnak. Beauvillier turned out OK. Kuznetsov is another one, Danault as well.
Hopefully Mesar is the exception from late first round picks.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If there was a redraft today and we walked away with Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Rohrer and Engstrom in the first 3 rounds, people would be ecstatic.

If Mesar, who looked very good at the WJs and is putting up a PPG in his first season in North America is our biggest concern, it shows how solid this draft is looking.

So far Beck and Engstrom are showing why it's great to have multiple 2nds and 3rds. Farrell showed why it's great to have multiple 4ths.

I would have liked to have picked up more picks at the TDL, such as the Sens 2nd for taking on Zeitsev. But it seems Hughes is looking for more of a quick turnaround, and less present bottoming out than I envision.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not all Hab picks in recent years will make the NHL, unfortunately, as much as we want to project with those picks on an eventual NHL roster.

We are just projecting skill sets that haven't yet proven to translate to a higher level, against the best players in the world.

And, of those that do make it to the NHL, not many will have a serious impact in a primary role with the team.

Some might need to reinvent themselves in order to have a role at the NHL level, like a 50-goal scorer in Juniors such as Carbonneau had to do.

It's hard to predict what role Mesar can have in the NHL, if he ever gets there. It might not be as a top-6 forward.

We should look to see if he has aptitudes to play am different role in the NHL...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
So far Beck and Engstrom are showing why it's great to have multiple 2nds and 3rds. Farrell showed why it's great to have multiple 4ths.

I would have liked to have picked up more picks at the TDL, such as the Sens 2nd for taking on Zeitsev. But it seems Hughes is looking for more of a quick turnaround, and less present bottoming out than I envision.
Seems? Hughes plainly stated as much, where, rather than a pick in a given year, he would prioritize a similar pick from a previous year that is already more developed and closer to the NHL, where the read on the player can be more conclusive at his age over that of a projected 18-yr-old.

Hughes never suggested bottoming out formeras on end, for example, even if they said it would take the time that it will to turn things around, not committing to a particular time frame...

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People are too quick to freak out and judge. Next year will be more of the evaluation stage of him as a prospect. This is a transition year for him.

New rink.
New culture.
New league.
Way more games and ice time than he's used to.

The highs have been very high and the lows have been concerning. We will see whether he can make his highs more his norm and that his games that aren't A games are still acceptable level.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
People are too quick to freak out and judge. Next year will be more of the evaluation stage of him as a prospect. This is a transition year for him.

New rink.
New culture.
New league.

The highs have been very high and the lows have been concerning. We will see whether he can make his highs more his norm and that his games that aren't A games are still acceptable level.
You are absolutely right. Mesar is totally different personality than Slaf or Nemec. He lived his whole life with his parents in small town of 6k population. He was overwhelmed by all the attention around him in Slovakia or Montreal. Obviously, Kitchener was the last place he wanted to play when the season started. He was aiming for AHL or some top Euro league. Whole team was struggling and he just averaged with the rest of his teammates. Next season will be key for sure.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The guy is not a PPG in junior as a 19yo. Not a sign of great offensive threat at the NHL level.

He's in his age 18 season and has a .9545 ppg, down from the .98 ppg he had before last night.

Numbers can be misleading though, good or bad, he's been inconsistent with his efforts in the games i've seen.

Reactions: Jaynki

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

New rink.
New culture.
New league.

The highs happen every game though, he's just not a good goal scorer and the player he played with for most of the year were missing too many opportunities.

He's doing great and he needs to play in the AHL next year.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
He's in his age 18 season and has a .9545 ppg, down from the .98 ppg he had before last night.

Numbers can be misleading though, good or bad, he's been inconsistent with his efforts in the games i've seen.
Whether it's something to worry about or not - it seems very similar to my prediction (which was backed by him not really wanting to go to the OHL). I've seen plenty of games and he just looks uninterested. It kind of sucks because during pre-season and his AHL appearance, he worked his ass off every shift. In the OHL, I really see someone who doesn't want to be there. But at the same time, I also see someone who thinks of the game in a professional aspect rather than the "all over the place" junior game.

I really think if he was in the AHL this year, he'd have 30-40 points without question and there would be a lot less people questioning him.

I'll throw out a ridiculous comparison. You're on a 1 month vacation with the extended family - 8 adults, 12 kids. One of the adults gets sick for 3-4 days. You're the oldest of the "kids" and you start playing cards with the adults at night because they're now short a player. The sick adult comes back on the 5th day and now you have go play at the kids table again. How much would that piss you off? I know it used to happen to me a little. If the adults were short, I'd play. If not, I was pushed back to the play with the other kids (who most were much younger than me at the time). It puts you in a terrible mindset and it sucks.

Add in learning a new culture, new country, probably living away from parents for the first time, and having a bunch of teammates who know the OHL is the end for them (aka PARTY TIME), and his initial refusal to go the OHL... and I think it's pretty clear that it's a hard season to judge him. But it's also a year of development that is getting pushed aside.

Reactions: Bombshell11

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Whether it's something to worry about or not - it seems very similar to my prediction (which was backed by him not really wanting to go to the OHL). I've seen plenty of games and he just looks uninterested. It kind of sucks because during pre-season and his AHL appearance, he worked his ass off every shift. In the OHL, I really see someone who doesn't want to be there. But at the same time, I also see someone who thinks of the game in a professional aspect rather than the "all over the place" junior game.

I really think if he was in the AHL this year, he'd have 30-40 points without question and there would be a lot less people questioning him.

I'll throw out a ridiculous comparison. You're on a 1 month vacation with the extended family - 8 adults, 12 kids. One of the adults gets sick for 3-4 days. You're the oldest of the "kids" and you start playing cards with the adults at night because they're now short a player. The sick adult comes back on the 5th day and now you have go play at the kids table again. How much would that piss you off? I know it used to happen to me a little. If the adults were short, I'd play. If not, I was pushed back to the play with the other kids (who most were much younger than me at the time). It puts you in a terrible mindset and it sucks.

Add in learning a new culture, new country, probably living away from parents for the first time, and having a bunch of teammates who know the OHL is the end for them (aka PARTY TIME), and his initial refusal to go the OHL... and I think it's pretty clear that it's a hard season to judge him. But it's also a year of development that is getting pushed aside.

Dude you're spot on. Despite all the challenges he remains a PPG player who could have had easely more points if #1 was used more often, #2 most of the players could keep up with his speed.

I also believe he could have done great in the AHL this year. He looked ready in many aspects

He does seem disinterested at times but i think that has more to do with culture than him being interested or not. I was like that too in my first year of hockey, started late, i dint know the environment very well so i was more of an introvert even if i was killing it outside the rink, had nothing to do with my interest, just socially awkward with the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad