Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Development struggles are fine — they’re part of development. I don’t think there is any issue with his too-low PPG right now. Prior to drafting? Sure — you want to draft the player with the best upside and PPG is a major factor. But after draft you want them to work on fundamentals and the different ways they approach and “solve” the game.

It’s sunk cost anyway.

The problem is when they mess with the development process and stick a kid in a position to fail. They haven’t done that with Mesar so whatever happens will be closer to the optimal process — he isn’t ready for the AHL and he hasn’t managed to click in the OHL despite his skills and vision.

Let him simmer in the stew and figure it out. Reassess after rookie camp next year.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
No way, the AHL is full of CHL guys more mature physically who already had their successfull junior career. If Mesar doesnt scores that much in the OHL against tiny kid, he won’t be better in the AHL. Look Mysak, he is just trying to survive in the AHL after his OHL career.
Guess we will see. I think you're very wrong.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Development struggles are fine — they’re part of development. I don’t think there is any issue with his too-low PPG right now. Prior to drafting? Sure — you want to draft the player with the best upside and PPG is a major factor. But after draft you want them to work on fundamentals and the different ways they approach and “solve” the game.

It’s sunk cost anyway.

The problem is when they mess with the development process and stick a kid in a position to fail. They haven’t done that with Mesar so whatever happens will be closer to the optimal process — he isn’t ready for the AHL and he hasn’t managed to click in the OHL despite his skills and vision.

Let him simmer in the stew and figure it out. Reassess after rookie camp next year.
Definitely a bit worried about his PPG and I think it's valid but it's hard to say with how much a mess Kitchener was.

Still my gut has a bad feeling about him. Not going to scream about it but if you put a gun to my head I say he busts.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Enough with the excuses. We drafted the wrong player once again. That's all there is to it.
Yeah but every team draft player in the late first round that bust. If one of Roy/Fahrell pan out that could compensate for him busting. What i dont understand is people defending that pick to death. Not saying he will 100% bust because some players struggle in their d+1 OhL season can still become good Nhler but its not looking good right now. No Gm would take Mesar over Kulich right now even Kent Hughes.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah but every team draft player in the late first round that bust. If one of Roy/Fahrell pan out that could compensate for him busting. What i dont understand is people defending that pick to death. Not saying he will 100% bust because some players struggle in their d+1 OhL season can still become good Nhler but its not looking good right now. No Gm would take Mesar over Kulich right now even Kent Hughes.
That's BS. There are no compensation for a high pick busting. It makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you can't envision a 6th rounder becoming a top end player..but 1st round, you should just pick the BPA. At that point, Kulich was. For every Roy or Farrell that could succeed, you will have other players from other teams to. Could you imagine Boston using that argument if they would not have picked Pastrnak....

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That's BS. There are no compensation for a high pick busting. It makes absolutely no sense. Maybe you can't envision a 6th rounder becoming a top end player..but 1st round, you should just pick the BPA. At that point, Kulich was. For every Roy or Farrell that could succeed, you will have other players from other teams to. Could you imagine Boston using that argument if they would not have picked Pastrnak....
Well ultimately theres still only 12-13 forwards on the roster and only 6-9 top 6 players, I dont think any expected Mesar to be a bottom 6 forward if he made it. So I think theres a higher chance of a bust occuring in that range then a higher range. We still should want all our picks to hit, but if we hit big on a later player like farrel or roy it can offset a first rounder.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
How much BS does one need to hear before reporting all this garbage.

The guy just scored 2 Points in his last game, since he's playing with Arcurri he's scoring more effectively ... you guys dont understand he was playing with plumbers for 75% of the time.

Stop talking through your ars and watch the GOD DAMN games ....

"oh no hes only a PPG in his first year with a new team and style of play... omg i guess hes a bust!??"

Have you guys asked yourselfs is there another player in the league playing his first year who's doing a PPG+ ? There's only one guy... one guy ONLY and that is Misa, Michael,

Look at Beck... how is he doing with his new team? I guess he's also a bust right?

pathetic man..... just a bunch of casuals whinning about things they dont know.

Last edited:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I was praying for Kulich at the draft, was surprised by Mesar at the training camp since I didn't know much about him prior, but after this season it seems Kulich was still the right choice.

Hopefully, Mesar continues his improvements and shows why he got picked ahead.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I was praying for Kulich at the draft, was surprised by Mesar at the training camp since I didn't know much about him prior, but after this season it seems Kulich was still the right choice.

Hopefully, Mesar continues his improvements and shows why he got picked ahead.

I'll tell you now, Mesar was ready to play in the AHL. The management decided to send him to the OHL because they're simply incompetent.

It doesn't matter who they were drafting, that player would have been sent down to the OHL.

I'm glad they chose Mesar because he looks like he's going to be a top 10 playmaker in the NHL one day and these types of players we desperately need.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I thought he played well at the WJC. His ability to make plays at top speed was noticeable. Way too early to condemn him.
I agree. I think has some high level tools and he can play offence at a fast pace.

While I'm not particularly thrilled about his production, I'm not too worried about him yet. He's raw and needs time to develop like the other prospects that were drafted around him.

Reactions: Tyson

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I'll tell you now, Mesar was ready to play in the AHL. The management decided to send him to the OHL because they're simply incompetent.

It doesn't matter who they were drafting, that player would have been sent down to the OHL.

I'm glad they chose Mesar because he looks like he's going to be a top 10 playmaker in the NHL one day.
You keep saying that but there's no evidence of it.

In fact, the CHL is closer, in terms of style of play, to the AHL than the slovak league and Mesar, while a fine player in the OHL, would've gotten eaten alive in the AHL because he's not really a top tier player in the league he's currently playing in.

You saying we're all dumbass casuals because we don't agree with you doesn't make him a better player on the ice.

Vinceh

Jun 22, 2019

I'm glad they chose Mesar because he looks like he's going to be a top 10 playmaker in the NHL one day.
There were many posters here who felt he was better suited for the OHL. I really don't see what the big deal is to send an undersized 18 year old for 1 season in the OHL. He gets the opportunity to adapt to the North American rink and game while also focusing on getting stronger/bigger.

To suggest management was incompetent is quite the reach. I am sure they have more experience and knowledge than you.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
How much BS does one need to hear before reporting all this garbage.

The guy just scored 2 Points in his last game, since he's playing with Arcurri he's scoring more effectively ... you guys dont understand he was playing with plumbers for 75% of the time.

Stop talking through your ars and watch the GOD DAMN games ....

"oh no hes only a PPG in his first year with a new team and style of play... omg i guess hes a bust!??"

Have you guys asked yourselfs is there another player in the league playing his first year who's doing a PPG+ ? There's only one guy... one guy ONLY and that is Misa, Michael,

Look at Beck... how is he doing with his new team? I guess he's also a bust right?

pathetic man..... just a bunch of casuals whinning about things they dont know.

Misa?

in his 15 years old season?

good comparable...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Lambert was ranked higher than Kulich by pretty much every public ranking. So based on public rankings, Lambert would have been BPA at 26.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
For the Habs maybe Kulich was just not the bpa at the time. Easy to say right now that Mesar is struggling to be a ppg player in the ohl and Kulich is doing well in the AHL for an 18 years old. You can say bs all you want but if Roy/Fahrell pan out they can fill the void of the first rounder (Mesar) busting. That is if he bust nobody know he could explode next year, but it's not looking good right now...

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
You keep saying that but there's no evidence of it.

In fact, the CHL is closer, in terms of style of play, to the AHL than the slovak league and Mesar, while a fine player in the OHL, would've gotten eaten alive in the AHL because he's not really a top tier player in the league he's currently playing in.

You saying we're all dumbass casuals because we don't agree with you doesn't make him a better player on the ice.

did you not admit you never seen him play?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's far too early to denounce the pick or the player. It's almost preposterous to see this much concern for a draftee in juniors.

He’s not as productive as he ought to be but his production is a function of his performances. His performances are linked to himself and his team and by all accounts he’s not in a good situation right now.

Lighten up, y’all.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I never liked this player. He's always been incredibly inconsistent and enigmatic, ie: the Bobrov special.

I think, at the time of the draft, most here wanted Kulich. Why are we better at this than Bobrov and co?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad