Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Passed on good skill, Kulich. Mesar small winger, last thing we need. not really producing much in junior.

he also has good skill, what we need in 5 years will be anyone's guess.
When we drafted Price all the talk was we already had Theo. Was a terrible take then as it is now. You draft the player you think is the best fit for you no matter what the roster looks like since NHL rosters turnover so much over a 5 year span.

Stats always need to be taken in context, most posters aren't able to do that though.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Which games have you watched him that you dint like the way he was playing?
I did not watch him enough to talk about his game.

I was answering to the excuses that explained his lack of production.

I feel like his real level is what he is showing right now in the chl and I’m not trying to make excuses for his lack of production.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
So you don't understand that Habs drafted Lane Hutson with their 1st overall, Owen Beck with their 26, Juraj Slafkovsky with their 33 and Filip Mesar with their 62, that's look really good choices to me!
You are suggesting that both Hutson and Beck are better prospects than Slafkovsky?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
When we drafted Price all the talk was we already had Theo. Was a terrible take then as it is now. You draft the player you think is the best fit for you no matter what the roster looks like since NHL rosters turnover so much over a 5 year span.

Stats always need to be taken in context, most posters aren't able to do that though.

amazing how hard this simple reality is for some to factor in....

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I did not watch him enough to talk about his game.

I was answering to the excuses that explained his lack of production.

I feel like his real level is what he is showing right now in the chl and I’m not trying to make excuses for his lack of production.

Here it is, you haven't watched him play just like every other poster who's being negative towards him.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Here it is, you haven't watched him play just like every other poster who's being negative towards him.
He's going to have to do better than 5 pts in 12 games in order to be watchable. There's nothing of value there to watch currently. And just to be more fair to him he has 5 pts in his last 7 games. That's way too low for a prospect like Mesar.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Mesar, Farrell, Caufield, Kidney, we going to have army of smurfs in 5 years.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Isn't Kidney like 6-foot tall and 175lbs+? That's almost the average size of an NHL player and he's only 19 years old. Mesar we're not sure if he'll ever play in the NHL, too soon to make a call. Farrell is a little bit small but people underestimate his tenacity, hockey instinct and defensive ability. The other guy you mentioned who is very small has 48 goals in his last 83 games in the NHL.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Isn't Kidney like 6-foot tall and 175lbs+? That's almost the average size of an NHL player and he's only 19 years old. Mesar we're not sure if he'll ever play in the NHL, too soon to make a call. Farrell is a little bit small but people underestimate his tenacity, hockey instinct and defensive ability. The other guy you mentioned who is very small has 48 goals in his last 83 games in the NHL.
Average NHL weight is ~200 lbs (it's something like 198.8 this year). So Kidney still has some meat to put on those bones, but his height is NHL average.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

*Mesar, Farrell, Caufield, and RHP

If each of the four play on one of the four lines I don't think it's a problem. But if they each of the four emerge as legitimate top 9 NHLers, all the better - but yes, I see us having to move one of them for an asset.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'm not negative.

I'm just wondering about his production. He's really not producing at a D+1 rate in the CHL. I understand that there is an adaptation factor to it, but still...

I also was answering to the poster who basically said that once he saw that the league was too easy for him, he began picking up bad habits and basically underplayed from what his potential really is.

To that my response was : If it really is the case, it's a big character flaw and it shows a lot more things than we think. Those are not positive think.

If you are telling me he works really hard and still produce only at the pace he is now, it also is worrying because production wise, he seems to miss something for the moment and the trip in that league is actually a good thing.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I'm not negative.

I'm just wondering about his production. He's really not producing at a D+1 rate in the CHL. I understand that there is an adaptation factor to it, but still...

I also was answering to the poster who basically said that once he saw that the league was too easy for him, he began picking up bad habits and basically underplayed from what his potential really is.

To that my response was : If it really is the case, it's a big character flaw and it shows a lot more things than we think. Those are not positive think.

If you are telling me he works really hard and still produce only at the pace he is now, it also is worrying because production wise, he seems to miss something for the moment and the trip in that league is actually a good thing.

Again, watch him play.

#1 he doesnt have a good shot. thats a given, he's a playmaker. He could have easely 5-10 more goals.

#2 he's creating 5-8 chances a game for himself and his teamates, if you watch him play you will see his teammates are not smart or good enough to play the tik tak toe plays hes setting up or convert opportunities because most of the time they;re never ready to receive his passes because of how quick he's thinking the game, exemple 2 games ago Rehkopf, was mobilized in front of the net with his stick not even on the ice. Mesar passes him the puck Rehkopf unfortunatly was looking at the stars, puck went right through him, thats a missed golden opportunity.
Also sometimes Mesar is creating a play (all him) but he ends up being the third passer on the play so he gets no reward.

Go to the rangers board, you will notice everyone agrees the skill is there and he;'s not a good fit for them and montreal would probably keep him in laval next year.

Also i dont think some of the players in the Rangers team like him too much, i think its a situation where alot of the players there are trying to make a name for themselfs, get drafted etc and the first 2 games he produced alot probably scared them? Specially the defenders, sometimes i feel they're going out of their way not to pass him or make an extra unnecessary pass so he doesn't get a point.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Again, watch him play.

#1 he doesnt have a good shot. thats a given, he's a playmaker. He could have easely 5-10 more goals.

#2 he's creating 5-8 chances a game for himself and his teamates, if you watch him play you will see his teammates are not smart or good enough to play the tik tak toe plays hes setting up or convert opportunities because most of the time they;re never ready to receive his passes because of how quick he's thinking the game, exemple 2 games ago Rehkopf, was mobilized in front of the net with his stick not even on the ice. Mesar passes him the puck Rehkopf unfortunatly was looking at the stars, puck went right through him, thats a missed golden opportunity.
Also sometimes Mesar is creating a play (all him) but he ends up being the third passer on the play so he gets no reward.

Go to the rangers board, you will notice everyone agrees the skill is there and he;'s not a good fit for them and montreal would probably keep him in laval next year.

Also i dont think some of the players in the Rangers team like him too much, i think its a situation where alot of the players there are trying to make a name for themselfs, get drafted etc and the first 2 games he produced alot probably scared them? Specially the defenders, sometimes i feel they're going out of their way not to pass him or make an extra unnecessary pass so he doesn't get a point.

It is possible that some factor could contribute to his low production. Even if he creates some chances that are missed, it's not like every play made by producing players end up in the net either.

It is encouraging to hear that at least he get's chances.

He still should find a way to adapt, it's strange that his teammates don't seem to like him also. One of the strong points of mainly elite players is that they often are well liked.

Some of the fact you are telling me are kind of worrying of their own. Not all could be put on him but he should definitively take part of the blame in those.

Only time will tell, but there are some red flags to like into.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Mesar pick dont look good no' mo.

Another reason why the Slaf pick sucked. Couldve been Jiricek and Kulich instead... and suddenly we dont have a size problem.

Short-sighted by HuGo and Bobroff.

Reactions: 1909

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The Mesar pick dont look good no' mo.

Another reason why the Slaf pick sucked. Couldve been Jiricek and Kulich instead... and suddenly we dont have a size problem.

Short-sighted by HuGo and Bobroff.
Buddy, I'm as disappointed of Slaf's and Mesar's season as a teenage girl on Instagram waking up to no new DMs, but let's wait and see. The skill is there for those guys and it's only their d+1.

We start pressing the panik button if Slaf Puljujarves his way through 2023-2024 and I still have faith that Mesar develops the mental fortitude to play more than 40 games a year.

• Haha
Reactions: Heffyhoof and 1909

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Buddy, I'm as disappointed of Slaf's and Mesar's season as a teenage girl on Instagram waking up to no new DMs, but let's wait and see. The skill is there for those guys and it's only their d+1.

We start pressing the panik button if Slaf Puljujarves his way through 2023-2024 and I still have faith that Mesar develops the mental fortitude to play more than 40 games a year.
I like the term Puljujarves.

I still like them, but its even more evident than it was on draft day that Slaf and Mesar aint it. Not busts, per se, but disappointing main rebuild pieces.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
*Mesar, Farrell, Caufield, and RHP

If each of the four play on one of the four lines I don't think it's a problem. But if they each of the four emerge as legitimate top 9 NHLers, all the better - but yes, I see us having to move one of them for an asset.
You can also add Lane Hutson in that smurf list. Good think our D-man are made of big guy. We need a good balance in the forward group. If we are lucky and draft Bedard. That's another small forward. I'm starting to understand why our GM want to keep Anderson in the team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Well I'm ready to move vets for 2nds if they can't get 1sts. Give the new drafting team more 2nds and see if they can repeat a Beck Hutson 2022 2nd round in 2023.

I agree - even if we only get 2nds instead of firsts, we have plenty of picks this draft that could help us move around or back up into the first round if we want to.

It'll be interesting to see if HuGo are more aggressive this year and move up to get the guys they want. It'd be a nice change from the Bergevin strategy of only trading back or for picks in future years.

Jul 6, 2016
You can also add Lane Hutson in that smurf list. Good think our D-man are made of big guy. We need a good balance in the forward group. If we are lucky and draft Bedard. That's another small forward. I'm starting to understand why our GM want to keep Anderson in the team.
Habs had many opportunities to draft bigger players in later drafts in the last 5 seasons. For example, Nadeau, Dufour, Melancon, all from the Q, are good size wingers and scorers. Matthew Knies was available too.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Habs had many opportunities to draft bigger players in later drafts in the last 5 seasons. For example, Nadeau, Dufour, Melancon, all from the Q, are good size wingers and scorers. Matthew Knies was available too.

You're all wrong on Mesar, he's going to be a phenomenal player when he hits the NHL. Top 6 for sure with PP time but he can also become a Martin St-Louis type of guy and be one of the best Offensive threat in the NHL.

I just hope he develops and works on that strengh.

Jul 6, 2016
You're all wrong on Mesar, he's going to be a phenomenal player when he hits the NHL. Top 6 for sure with PP time but he can also become a Martin St-Louis type of guy and be one of the best Offensive threat in the NHL.

Mesar is a first rounder. The guys I have talked about would had been great pickups in 3rd-4th or 5th rounds. As for Mesar, your expectations are way too high.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Of course he is a good prospect with top six upside but the MSL talk is utter nonsense and there is zero evidence to support such a claim. I feel like the MSL talk is based like 99% on you loving their thighs lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad