Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I love how some ppl get upset by other ppl’s discussions. Maybe you need thicker skin? Take your own advice, relax and chill?
I’m very relaxed and chill. If anything, it’s a few others who need to chill/relax and develop thicker skin. These people react to every single game and change their entire outlook on a player after a couple of weeks or a month. I’m very relaxed. I’m preaching for a bit more composure and less extreme reactions to how a propsect players over a few games. You have it all backwards

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m very relaxed and chill. If anything, it’s a few others who need to chill/relax and develop thicker skin. These people react to every single game and change their entire outlook on a player after a couple of weeks or a month. I’m very relaxed. I’m preaching for a bit more composure and less extreme reactions to how a propsect players over a few games. You have it all backwards
Well I feel most ppl have been pretty consistent with Mesar. No one is calling him a bust or freaking out. Some had hoped for more production, which is fair imo. I’m not sure what you are referring to tbh.

Reactions: jrom

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Well I feel most ppl have been pretty consistent with Mesar. No one is calling him a bust or freaking out. Some had hoped for more production, which is fair imo. I’m not sure what you are referring to tbh.
Post WJC. People are saying he’s not as good as we thought originally and that he now needs to do this or do that , or he now needs to be in AHL or sent back to Europe. Like just let the kid play. We don’t need weekly analysis on prospects saying wow that was disappointing. Just let them play and figure it out without being so volatile.

That’s the part that really annoys me, where if Mesar were to go on a hot streak for 4-5 games, it would be wow maybe he’s ready next year! Maybe a few games this year?

If your view of a prospects path to the nhl changes on a weekly or even monthly basis, your doing it wrong.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
fair enough, have you watched any games of Mesar this year?
No I have not, and I am not saying he is a poor player either. What I am saying is that you have hyped the hell out of him. Made him sound like the second coming of the Christ. What I am saying he is not or has not shown that he is living up to your spin.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If you watch the games you can see exactly why he's having issues putting his name on the score sheet lately and that is not due because of a lack of skill or effort.

He's not an efficient goal scorer, sure. Not all Playmakers have a good shot. He looks lost out there, doesn't get the system, sure but that can also be due to the coaches inaptitude at explaining him the system.

What i'm interested on is, that every time he gets the puck, there's something exciting that happens right after that.

I think fundamentally Mesar was a bad fit for this team, he plays a possession game while the others its either dump and chase or rush the net and hope something happens. Mesar is the opposite, he's all about lets keep the puck, lets do tik-tak-toe plays so we can create something out of nothing.

Mesar is 100% making the NHL and a top 6 at that. What ever Pinelli is doing to score his points works great vs Juniors because he's 20 years old exploiting weaker players but he'll be invisible in the NHL againts faster, stronger players. Lets not forget it's Pinelli's 3rd season with the Rangers, in his first season he only scored 41 pts in 59 games.

I think Mesar is doing just fine for himself, if i'm a habs scout I know he's creating the most chances out of all his teammates and what ever is doing is translatable to the NHL or AHL next year.
Agree with most of this except that he is not guaranteed top 6. He may have top 6 talent but we will see if he can translate that to the NHL.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No I have not, and I am not saying he is a poor player either. What I am saying is that you have hyped the hell out of him. Made him sound like the second coming of the Christ. What I am saying he is not or has not shown that he is living up to your spin.
You have not and yet you're saying that i'm wrong? Are you kidding me?
Is this not the definition of trolling or what?

Have you seen him play in the pre-camp and in the pre-season at least?

Btw, i have always said his shot was weak from the day we drafted him, his NHL skills are his playmaking ability, vision, hands and agility. With the puck his like a Messi but without the goals.

The 200 pts prediction was obviously an exageration, but still he's not doing that bad despite lacking the goals and being in a new country playing a different system from what he's used to.

What ever he's good right now will perfectly translate into the NHL in 1-2 years from now.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Agree with most of this except that he is not guaranteed top 6. He may have top 6 talent but we will see if he can translate that to the NHL.
I think he proved it at camp and in the pre-season he was ready to take on the challenge (not dominate, but follow the pace)

He only went down to get stronger, that was the initial intent. He said himself he could easely play in the AHL (before being sent down).

The skills are there and 100% translatable, I have no doubts about it.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
I have to say that I can't stand Pinelli. Seems like the entire game plan in Kitchener is centered around getting him as much ice time as possible.... And he's not good.
Mesar has his issues, but being in Kitchener is not good for him.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Reading the Rangers board I think I’d conclude Mesar joined a mess, already in progress.

Sure sounds like the coaching is questionable. Team play is mercurial.

As a poster pointed out earlier, Mesar is an import, and he has a lot to adjust to. If Kitchener wasn’t where he wanted to go, that doesn’t help, either.

There’s talent there, but consensus is the team lacks toughness. I interpret that as ‘lacks compete’ and that’s cancerous.

Wouldn’t read too much into FM’s first year over here. He DID look good at the WJC and was probably revved to be among familiar faces, friends.

Next season should present a clearer picture of what his future looks like.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I have to say that I can't stand Pinelli. Seems like the entire game plan in Kitchener is centered around getting him as much ice time as possible.... And he's not good.

Amen

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Reading the Rangers board I think I’d conclude Mesar joined a mess, already in progress.

Sure sounds like the coaching is questionable. Team play is mercurial.

As a poster pointed out earlier, Mesar is an import, and he has a lot to adjust to. If Kitchener wasn’t where he wanted to go, that doesn’t help, either.

There’s talent there, but consensus is the team lacks toughness. I interpret that as ‘lacks compete’ and that’s cancerous.

Wouldn’t read too much into FM’s first year over here. He DID look good at the WJC and was probably revved to be among familiar faces, friends.

Next season should present a clearer picture of what his future looks like.

Yep just read the rangers board as well and pretty much everyone agrees Mesar will most likely play in Laval next year, they all recognize his skills.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Post WJC. People are saying he’s not as good as we thought originally and that he now needs to do this or do that , or he now needs to be in AHL or sent back to Europe. Like just let the kid play. We don’t need weekly analysis on prospects saying wow that was disappointing. Just let them play and figure it out without being so volatile.

That’s the part that really annoys me, where if Mesar were to go on a hot streak for 4-5 games, it would be wow maybe he’s ready next year! Maybe a few games this year?

If your view of a prospects path to the nhl changes on a weekly or even monthly basis, your doing it wrong.

Most people base their entire opinion on offensive stats and their mercurial nature that coincidentally allign with the bi-polar observations that we are forced to digest like powdered milk in the 70's.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
it's not hard at all to see why they picked him, he's got elite skating, mobility, speed, just effortless skater. Very good playmaker. Still need to see a lot more of him though.
Passed on good skill, Kulich. Mesar small winger, last thing we need. not really producing much in junior.

Reactions: GobigorGohome

durojean

May 29, 2007
Many people can't adapt with going backwards.

Imagine you were the manager of a local area McDonald's chain. Now imagine going back to midnight shift in the drivethru.

I'm not saying they're good excuses, I'm just saying the human brain tends to work that way for a large portion of the population. Especially when you feel it's a demotion you don't deserve.

The fact that he fought back against the OHL shows exactly how he felt.

Add in the fact that his team and coaching suck, and you have a recipe for disaster for a young player in a new country who didn't want to play against kids his own age.
Shows a lot about his character and it also shows he could never dominate at the nhl level if that is his attitude. It shows he does not thrives to be the best he could.

It shows that if he happen to adapt at the nhl level, he would not try to improve, he would be satisfied with what he has and that is a big flaw.

There is no way to excuse him underperforming this season except his character flaw. The 2 games where he dominated at the beginning means nothing if he can't sustain it.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Shows a lot about his character and it also shows he could never dominate at the nhl level if that is his attitude. It shows he does not thrives to be the best he could.

It shows that if he happen to adapt at the nhl level, he would not try to improve, he would be satisfied with what he has and that is a big flaw.

There is no way to excuse him underperforming this season except his character flaw. The 2 games where he dominated at the beginning means nothing if he can't sustain it.

Which games have you watched him that you dint like the way he was playing?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I could be never understand this pick. Has to be tied to Slaf pick.

So you don't understand that Habs drafted Lane Hutson with their 1st overall, Owen Beck with their 26, Juraj Slafkovsky with their 33 and Filip Mesar with their 62, that's look really good choices to me!

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
This is a bit of an exaggeration to say he's "not good." I think it's fair to say Pinelli is a flawed, sometimes dumb hockey player who has issues at times. But let's not overlook that he's 30G, 30A in just 39 games with a +15. He is undeniably talented and right now EASILY the most offensively talented player on the team.

The coaching is garbage and it holds all of them back to play in that system, but since about mid-November, we can't pin the problems on Pinelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad