Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hughes and Makar had the elite skating. Hutson is agile, but he’s not as fast, and he’s light. He has to gain strength, no other way around it.
I don't think he gets faster by playing NCAA than AHL.

So he needs to start adjusting to the better leagues.

Habs need to assess if he is ready to learn in the AHL, or would drown. Each case needs to be evaluated.

Also some kids don't want to give up school if it's not for big paycheque, so this is possibly why Makar and Fox waited and then skipped the AHL.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
OK skater, not above average for NHL standards. Smaller guys sometimes look faster than they really are.

Mesar has no more than 3rd liner potential to me, maybe a slightly better version of Ylonen.

I would not give up on him, but if a trade partner who has something we want will accept this recent 1st round drafted player instead of an upcoming first round pick, that's an easy choice for me. (Like we got Barron instead of a first).

Otherwise let Mesar play his way up over the next few years and see what happens. If we can eventually have a 3rd liner scoring 12-15 on a cheap contract, it is not a bad thing.
Mesar has breakaway speed. Did you not watch him in the OT games Slovakia played in the WJC? Any slight opening and he was gone in 3v3 play.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don't think he gets faster by playing NCAA than AHL.

So he needs to start adjusting to the better leagues.

Habs need to assess if he is ready to learn in the AHL, or would drown. Each case needs to be evaluated.

Also some kids don't want to give up school if it's not for big paycheque, so this is possibly why Makar and Fox waited and then skipped the AHL.
Getting faster will be from working out off ice. That’s best at the NCAA where they have access to varsity gyms, athletic trainers, and the schedule is light. It’s tough to get stronger in the pros since you play every 2-3 nights and travel.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
They could have played all year together in the AHL..

I suspect part of the reason to send Mesar in the OHL is exactly the opposite, make sure Slaf can gel with his teammates without having to babysit Mesar (+ tons of experience for Mesar being by himself instead of always following Slaf around).

Reactions: Scriptor

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I suspect part of the reason to send Mesar in the OHL is exactly the opposite, make sure Slaf can gel with his teammates without having to babysit Mesar (+ tons of experience for Mesar being by himself instead of always following Slaf around).
Mesar and Slafkovsky wouldn't even play on the same line in the AHL. Mesar would be a healthy scratch a few times, playing barely 12 minutes per game on the fourth line. Slafkovsky would struggle to get anything going because he's playing on a bad AHL team, it would be a mess.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Mesar and Slafkovsky wouldn't even play on the same line in the AHL. Mesar would be a healthy scratch a few times, playing barely 12 minutes per game on the fourth line. Slafkovsky would struggle to get anything going because he's playing on a bad AHL team, it would be a mess.

I was thinking about off-ice more then with whom they're playing on ice

Reactions: Scriptor

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I was thinking about off-ice more then with whom they're playing on ice
I agree with you. But on and off the ice it wasn't going to work, imo. They can still be reunited next season in Laval.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
OK skater, not above average for NHL standards. Smaller guys sometimes look faster than they really are.

Mesar has no more than 3rd liner potential to me, maybe a slightly better version of Ylonen.

I would not give up on him, but if a trade partner who has something we want will accept this recent 1st round drafted player instead of an upcoming first round pick, that's an easy choice for me. (Like we got Barron instead of a first).

Otherwise let Mesar play his way up over the next few years and see what happens. If we can eventually have a 3rd liner scoring 12-15 on a cheap contract, it is not a bad thing.
Not true. He is a great skater. The rest I can agree on.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not true. He is a great skater. The rest I can agree on.
The relevant comparison is NHL skaters, not Junior ones.

Maybe he is a bit better than I think and a bit slower compared to N?HLers than others think.

I just don't see him as much better than Ylonen. But I would love to be wrong.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
The relevant comparison is NHL skaters, not Junior ones.

Maybe he is a bit better than I think and a bit slower compared to N?HLers than others think.

I just don't see him as much better than Ylonen. But I would love to be wrong.
I don't know. I have seen him live and he was by far the best skater between the 2 teams. And the other team was London. Very smooth and quick.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't know. I have seen him live and he was by far the best skater between the 2 teams. Very smooth and quick.
OK, so he's faster than Nick Suzuki.

Does Nick move to the third line to make space for him at the top, or is there something major missing in Mesar's game?

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
OK, so he's faster than Nick Suzuki.

Does Nick move to the third line to make space for him at the top, or is there something major missing in Mesar's game?
I don't get it with him. When I saw him play London he looked great out there in terms of skating and moving the puck. I don't know if it's an IQ thing or how quickly he can processes the game, or just lack of finish.

Someone mentioned a few times on here that it's the team, which I don't buy. Rangers are not a terrible team and even then good players still find a way to produce on lousy teams.

His point production is not awful but not great either. He leaves you wanting more. Or thinking this guy can produce a lot more. He was not able to slow the game down. Maybe it was more his feet and hands can work quicker than his brain thing. I would need to see more of him to be sure.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I don't get it with him. When I saw him play London he looked great out there in terms of skating and moving the puck. I don't know if it's an IQ thing or how quickly he can processes the game, or just lack of finish.

Someone mentioned a few times on here that it's the team, which I don't buy. Rangers are not a terrible team and even then good players still find a way to produce on lousy teams.

His point production is not awful but not great either. He leaves you wanting more. Or thinking this guy can produce a lot more. He was not able to slow the game down. Maybe it was more his feet and hands can work quicker than his brain thing. I would need to see more of him to be sure.
I watched him play in person at the WJC and I noted in here that I was impressed by his processing and playmaking.

I have only watched a bit of him in OHL games. Not sure why he isn't dominating (he's still a PPG) but maybe one factor is he's going through challenges of adapting to a new culture, language etc and he was more comfortable with his countrymen at the WJC. Everyone handles life changes differently.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I watched him play in person at the WJC and I noted in here that I was impressed by his processing and playmaking.

I have only watched a bit of him in OHL games. Not sure why he isn't dominating (he's still a PPG) but maybe one factor is he's going through challenges of adapting to a new culture, language etc and he was more comfortable with his countrymen at the WJC. Everyone handles life changes differently.
Not sure I buy into that either. When your on the ice it's game on. If he still can't adjust, then perhaps he will have a difficult time adjusting to the NHL and any new line changes for that matter.

But he looks great out there just maybe a case of not putting it all together just yet.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I think we're all looking for too much details. He's adapting to a new culture, new teammates. Just came back from the WJC. Its possible he's mentally tired. We heard the same about Josh Roy since he came back. We're analysing every game in a day to day manner since we crave for new talent, new prospects. Its the dead of winter in Kitchener... From what I saw from him so far. Good speed, good hands but rarely attack in the middle. Makes me think of Anthony Beauvillier. I think his cealing is somewhere around that but he'll need time.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think we're all looking for too much details. He's adapting to a new culture, new teammates. Just came back from the WJC. Its possible he's mentally tired. We heard the same about Josh Roy since he came back. We're analysing every game in a day to day manner since we crave for new talent, new prospects. Its the dead of winter in Kitchener... From what I saw from him so far. Good speed, good hands but rarely attack in the middle. Makes me think of Anthony Beauvillier. I think his cealing is somewhere around that but he'll need time.

No way man, he's a lock for PPG in the NHL with the current goal production in the NHL.

He's got a killer instinct and vision, it doesnt translates in the OHL right now because he's playing with people used to a different style but in the NHL it will be a different story.

Look this guy has no choice but to play in the TOP 6, he;'s gotta be undeniable and i think from what we have seen at camp and pre-season its a no-brainer he'll get there, hopefully next year. Beck had a small edge because he was already settled with his team but since he moved to his new team his production has completely tanked... is Beck all of a sudden garbage? Hell no... it just shows how hard it is to adapt to a new team. Imagine Mesar like you said, he went through alot.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Watched 2 first periods. #71 was very good in the first period, disappeared in the second period.
Mesar does not understand the system being played, without the puck he looks like a passenger.

However per capita, he created the most chances, something sick would happen, either a nice deke with a deadly pass or sweet play with a dangerous shot.

There was a play where mesar was behind the net, passed the puck in front of the net BUT... if only HIS TEAMMATE WAS READY WITH HIS STICK ON THE ICE... It was probably a goal.

Mesar is playing a slower game and he needs to learn how to move his feet and be in constant movement without the puck. He often puts himself out of position.

I'm not worried at all, he's a lock to become an elite top 6 offensive talent.

His shot is garbage though, he needs to work on it so he can convert the many great chance he creates for himself. If he had a good shot he would easely have 10-20 more goals this season, no jokes.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Third period, Pinelli's goal was created by Mesar however he was the 3rd passer on that play but he;s the one that made it happen

Reactions: Kojo

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Watched 2 first periods. #71 was very good in the first period, disappeared in the second period.
Mesar does not understand the system being played, without the puck he looks like a passenger.

However per capita, he created the most chances, something sick would happen, either a nice deke with a deadly pass or sweet play with a dangerous shot.

There was a play where mesar was behind the net, passed the puck in front of the net BUT... if only HIS TEAMMATE WAS READY WITH HIS STICK ON THE ICE... It was probably a goal.

Mesar is playing a slower game and he needs to learn how to move his feet and be in constant movement without the puck. He often puts himself out of position.

I'm not worried at all, he's a lock to become an elite top 6 offensive talent.

His shot is garbage though, he needs to work on it so he can convert the many great chance he creates for himself. If he had a good shot he would easely have 10-20 more goals this season, no jokes.
So he lacks pace, is often out of position, has a weak shot , seems to lack hockey IQ and although you didn’t say, is not overly big or physical.

But yet you say he’s a lock to be an elite top 6 offensive talent?

Ok then...

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
So he lacks pace, is often out of position, has a weak shot , seems to lack hockey IQ and although you didn’t say, is not overly big or physical.

But yet you say he’s a lock to be an elite top 6 offensive talent?

Ok then...
Don't bother, you're going to get the same generic reply.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad