Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I wouldn't say so. I like him as a player, but I don't like his performance so far, and I like the excuses for it even less.
You'll notice that, unlike some others, I didn’t blame the coach or his teammates to make excuses for his performances. I simply offered a possible explanation for his development trajectory, which has been worse as the year went on. Is that on him? Of course it is. Some individuals thrive in certain environments, some others don't. Some don't need any help to overcome context, some others need more. That's all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You'll notice that, unlike some others, I didn’t blame the coach or his teammates to make excuses for his performances. I simply offered a possible explanation for his development trajectory, which has been worse as the year went on. Is that on him? Of course it is. Some individuals thrive in certain environments, some others don't. Some don't need any help to overcome context, some others need more. That's all.

when you watch the games you don't need excuses, you put everything into context. I know some don't put much stock in coaching, development, but I can never understand that stance as it's bonkers to me but my point is that after we all watched how terrible Caufield looked with 1 goal under Dom, coaching clearly is a valid reason to explain part of why a player is struggling. Development in my experience when it goes bad is usually almost never just due to one thing going wrong.

It's not easy to know what would be the best route for any prospect to take without knowing the prospects mental makeup and various other factors. I'm in the I would rather take our time with any prospect not named Bedard. I didn't want us to draft Slaf just because I knew they would put him in the NHL ala KK and Galchenyuk (doesn't mean it will end up the same of course, each is their own) and I'm just so sick and tired of watching the Habs rush prospects for the past 8 or so years.

Mesar has impressed me a lot at times, so for now I'm not really worried yet but next year will be very interesting to see how they handle him and how it goes.

Reactions: jrom

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
when you watch the games you don't need excuses, you put everything into context. I know some don't put much stock in coaching, development, but I can never understand that stance as it's bonkers to me but my point is that after we all watched how terrible Caufield looked with 1 goal under Dom, coaching clearly is a valid reason to explain part of why a player is struggling. Development in my experience when it goes bad is usually almost never just due to one thing going wrong.

It's not easy to know what would be the best route for any prospect to take without knowing the prospects mental makeup and various other factors. I'm in the I would rather take our time with any prospect not named Bedard. I didn't want us to draft Slaf just because I knew they would put him in the NHL ala KK and Galchenyuk (doesn't mean it will end up the same of course, each is their own) and I'm just so sick and tired of watching the Habs rush prospects for the past 8 or so years.

Mesar has impressed me a lot at times, so for now I'm not really worried yet but next year will be very interesting to see how they handle him and how it goes.
I totally agree about coaching. I was merely mentionning that I never talked about coaching or teammates as an excuse of any kind for his performance. I was providing a path of explanation for his development so far this season, one that I had mentionned months before today. We can all speculate about what would have been the best path for him (OHL or AHL), but we'll never know and so we can only give opinions.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I watched a couple of games from Kitchener, and they honestly look like headless chicken. Mesar's production is tanking because there is not a concrete collective idea in place on that squad. It's pretty much freestyle, which is kind of what MSL is doing with the habs and what JF Houle is kind of doing in Laval as well.

The problem is, I'm not sure that the Kitchener Rangers are an environment that focuses on individual coaching and development like the habs org. at this moment.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What the heck is going on with this guy? I don't care if Kitchener is a mess, he should be piling up points. Remember when he insisted he wanted to play in the AHL? Woof.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I watched a couple of games from Kitchener, and they honestly look like headless chicken. Mesar's production is tanking because there is not a concrete collective idea in place on that squad. It's pretty much freestyle, which is kind of what MSL is doing with the habs and what JF Houle is kind of doing in Laval as well.

The problem is, I'm not sure that the Kitchener Rangers are an environment that focuses on individual coaching and development like the habs org. at this moment.
I have found that a lot of OHL teams have looked this way this year. I was just talking to a buddy at work about it today and he made the same observations as me. I've watched a few games of Windsor Spitfires and noticed that it looks like they're (along with their opponents) playing pick up hockey. Lots of neutral zone play, very little sustained zone pressure from either team. It's been difficult to watch. Missing the one season and limited schedules due to covid the last couple seasons have really affected the finished product from what I've seen.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets and have been let down by Mesar. His first half dozen games he was all over the ice and dominant. Since then he plays like he doesn’t care.

At the start of the season he would always carry the puck into the offensive zone and take it wide. He would drive down low and circle with the puck around the net and swing back out. He had players chasing after him and it would create passing lanes. He rarely does that now, he just comes into the zone and slows up and tries to thread the needle with his passes. The skill is their for sure with him.

Another thing is that he is really small even for OHL standards. I’m not sure what his actual weight is but he is slim in equipment. He really needs to hit the gym hard and thicken up to excel at the next level.
Have you seen his legs? Bigger tree trunks than Slafkovsky, Perhaps he needs to work on the upper body, though...

Ahhh, that looks bad. And he's 5'7", 176 lbs. I don't need to read 66 pages about him. I've read Habsrule post and I had enough.
5'9", 176 lbs.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He has to be injured otherwise he would be able to produce utilizing his skills to dominate the OHL. Very underwhelming pick so far.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Missing the one season and limited schedules due to covid the last couple seasons have really affected the finished product from what I've seen.

Definitely! Posters here never talk about it, but the past 2-3 season have been hectic for everyone! Some guys have looked better than they otherwise would have, some guys looked way worse than they otherwise would have... some guys' conditionning very probably took a big hit....

I think in 5-10 years, the the 2020, 2021 and even 2022 drafts will all over the place with tons of 1st draft busts and 5th-6th-7th rounders being good/great players (Roy?) because of how messed up the schedule and their conditionning was and how hard it was to evaluate them

Mailloux is a good example, COVID + his suspension, guy played 16 games in 2 years... who knows how good or bad he'll be!

Reactions: Habsrule

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Been asleep since returning from the WJCs
Keep seeing Kulich’s name brought up repeatedly in this thread.

Did the Habs make a mistake taking Mesar over Kulich or is it not much too early to tell? What might have been the Habs’ deciding factors in favouring Mesar?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Did the Habs make a mistake taking Mesar over Kulich or is it not much too early to tell? What might have been the Habs’ deciding factors in favouring Mesar?
Seriously?

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Anyone disappointed in Mesar's season had unrealistic expectations. First, he was selected near the bottom end of a consensus weak first round. Second, he's acclimating to a new league, rink size and country (heck, even continent). He'll be fine. He still has development to do.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I think it's far too early to know. There's so much development to come between the two.

They were extremely close on many draft lists, including my own. It's a matter of whether you like the sniper or the puck control playmaker with elite skating.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Man you guys are demanding . Can you just let him play. He had a good WJC and a tough few games back. Who cares? Check back in 2 years and see where he’s at?

It’s not like anyone drafted after him this year is doing insane things

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
What the heck is going on with this guy? I don't care if Kitchener is a mess, he should be piling up points. Remember when he insisted he wanted to play in the AHL? Woof.
Personnally, I don’t like when smallish player are struggling in the OHL. Especially on their D1. They should dominate and to have over 1,4 ppg to appreciate their growing curve. Right now, he is clearly not on the right direction, despite many excuse posters could tell.

Reactions: 1909

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think it's far too early to know. There's so much development to come between the two.

They were extremely close on many draft lists, including my own. It's a matter of whether you like the sniper or the puck control playmaker with elite skating.
That’s exactly the nuance I was after. Hughes had mentioned that he wanted speed as one of the key attributes of talent they were looking to add, so that must have tilted the selection in favor of Mesar. Plus, Mesar is working on his shot, he might yet have more growth in that department. Thx for the feedback.

Jul 6, 2016
Personnally, I don’t like when smallish player are struggling in the OHL. Especially on their D1. They should dominate and to have over 1,4 ppg to appreciate their growing curve. Right now, he is clearly not on the right direction, despite many excuse posters could tell.
Is he homesick ? Or just plain ordinary ?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Is he homesick ? Or just plain ordinary ?
I don’t really know, but for a 5ft 9 player. I expected a better profuction, even if he is playing on a bad team. At this rate, he has nothing to do in the AHL right now. Same for Slaf. He has nothing to do in the NHL. They aren’t bust, far from it. Just need to play on the proper league

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Anyone disappointed in Mesar's season had unrealistic expectations. First, he was selected near the bottom end of a consensus weak first round. Second, he's acclimating to a new league, rink size and country (heck, even continent). He'll be fine. He still has development to do.

What ? Expecting more than a PPG in the OHL, is unrealistic for a recent 1st round pick ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad