Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Gorton seems to have issues hitting homeruns in the first round...
Having Bystedt and Kulich go right after Mesar could be a bad look for Gorton, for sure.

That said, far from over and Mesar has talent so it’s too early to tell.

Kulich is who I would’ve drafted and was thinking the Habs would draft.

Reactions: Nevins

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets and have been let down by Mesar. His first half dozen games he was all over the ice and dominant. Since then he plays like he doesn’t care.

At the start of the season he would always carry the puck into the offensive zone and take it wide. He would drive down low and circle with the puck around the net and swing back out. He had players chasing after him and it would create passing lanes. He rarely does that now, he just comes into the zone and slows up and tries to thread the needle with his passes. The skill is their for sure with him.

Another thing is that he is really small even for OHL standards. I’m not sure what his actual weight is but he is slim in equipment. He really needs to hit the gym hard and thicken up to excel at the next level.

Reactions: Nevins and montreal

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets and have been let down by Mesar. His first half dozen games he was all over the ice and dominant. Since then he plays like he doesn’t care.

At the start of the season he would always carry the puck into the offensive zone and take it wide. He would drive down low and circle with the puck around the net and swing back out. He had players chasing after him and it would create passing lanes. He rarely does that now, he just comes into the zone and slows up and tries to thread the needle with his passes. The skill is their for sure with him.

Another thing is that he is really small even for OHL standards. I’m not sure what his actual weight is but he is slim in equipment. He really needs to hit the gym hard and thicken up to excel at the next level.

I feel this thread should be linked to that one above. Rangers Kitchener is total trash as I keep telling since the begin of the season, they have no structure, no identity and even the new players they acquired at the deadline are looking lost on that mess.

Its not only their own fans, even Sarpa who got traded to Oshawa said Kitchener never had a structure.

My favorite quote of the bunch: "I see us out of the playoffs, seriously. What would be the point, be fodder for London or Windsor. Season tickets for 30 years , never seen a mess like this. 1st time I won’t be buying playoff tickets, don’t think I’ll be watching on TV either. Feel sorry for these players that were brought into this mess. I’ve sId they should have sold all along. Maybe we’ll get lucky in the lottery"

As I keep saying, Kitchener is likely the worst place Mesar could end up, just a poor collection of low IQ players, terribly coached and managed. I wish they were sellers at the deadline, but that Mackenzie clown running that show decided otherwise.

Reactions: Nevins

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

Like I've been saying over different posts, dating from a few months back, not every type of player develop the same way. I didn't think the OHL environment was the best for his development, but I was happy about his early success and thought that it would be easy for him if he continued to play like that. But as I feared, he slowly started "adapting down" to that level, so much so that what was easy before when he still had Pro pace and habits, has become a challenge now because he's falling into junior pace with lazy habits on top of that.
I would definitely want him in Laval next year even if it means he'll struggle at first. He'll adapt back up. I'm just not sure if this year will be a waste or not for on-ice development. At least he would've had the year to adapt off-ice.

• Haha
Reactions: NotProkofievian

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Like I've been saying over different posts, dating from a few months back, not every type of player develop the same way. I didn't think the OHL environment was the best for his development, but I was happy about his early success and thought that it would be easy for him if he continued to play like that. But as I feared, he slowly started "adapting down" to that level, so much so that what was easy before when he still had Pro pace and habits, has become a challenge now because he's falling into junior pace with lazy habits on top of that.
I would definitely want him in Laval next year even if it means he'll struggle at first. He'll adapt back up. I'm just not sure if this year will be a waste or not for on-ice development. At least he would've had the year to adapt off-ice.
You may stoking the anger of many here who were clamoring for Slafkofsy to be sent to the AHL or even lower. Adapting down, as you aptly describe, is a real cause of concern for the development of many young players.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What absurdity am I reading in this thread? It was predicted that because he pLaYeD aGaInsT mEn that he would mop the floor with the kids in the OHL, and now that he's producing 3rd rounder D-year numbers it's actually because he's too good for the league. The shittiness of the hockey discombobulates his frontal lobe and he can't do a hockey good anymore.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
As of this morning, the pace the prospects are on:

-- CHL --
- Davidson: 98 pts (39G, 59A) in 64 GP in WHL
- Roy: 97 pts (42G, 55A) in 55 GP
- Kidney: 97 pts (27G, 70A) in 60 GP in QMJHL
- Guindon: 83 pts (25G, 58A) in 68 GP in OHL
- Beck: 75 pts (33G, 42A) in 61 GP in OHL
- Rohrer: 67 pts (24G, 55A) in 55 GP in OHL
- Mailloux: 58 pts (24G, 34A) in 60 GP in OHL
- Mesar: 55 pts (23G, 32A) in 53 GP in OHL
- Sobolev: 14 pts (2G, 12A) in 65 GP in OHL

-- EUROPE --
- Kapanen: 23 pts (10G, 13A) in 55 GP in Liiga
- Tourigny: 20 pts (4G, 16A) in 40 GP in Slovak Extraliga
- Nurmi: 15 pts (2G, 13A) in 48 GP in Liiga
- Heineman: 14 pts (8G, 6A) in 35 GP in SHL
- Engstrom: 12 pts (7G, 5A) in 43 GP in SHL
- Gordin: 12 pts (7G, 5A) in 39 GP in VHL
- Kostenko: 6 pts (3G, 3AO in 55 GP in KHL

-- NCAA -- (regular season pace only. Playoffs and NCAA tournaments also count, but we don't know how many games each team/player will end up playing)
- Farrell: 42 pts (16G, 26A) in 28 GP
- Hutson: 36 pts (12G, 24A) in 32 GP
- Tuch: 18 pts (8G, 10A) in 33 GP
- Pitlick: 18 pts (11G, 7A) in 34 GP
- Gorniak: 13 pts (4G, 9A) in 34 GP
- Struble: 11 pts (2G, 9A) in 29 GP
- Smilanic: 4 pts (2G, 2A) in 19 GP
Thanks for this. Any idea what’s up with Mesar?

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Not really. Some other posters might provide a more in depth report on him. Since he's come back from the WJC, he hasn't been productive.
@montreal since your the supreme Watcher, what do you see from your cosmic throne?

3FE12081-66CA-49B7-95D8-BFC79CEBEA51.jpeg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
@montreal since your the supreme Watcher, what do you see from your cosmic throne?

View attachment 638931

I can't say as I haven't gotten to see as much of him as I'd hoped to so far. He's impressed me at times and others I've seen some concerns but we'll see how the season plays out. Hopefully I haven't overrated him but with so many prospects this year there's going to be a number of them that in a normal year I would be able to focus a lot on them but not this year unless I can start making a good bit more money and free up some more time to watch more games.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I can't say as I haven't gotten to see as much of him as I'd hoped to so far. He's impressed me at times and others I've seen some concerns but we'll see how the season plays out. Hopefully I haven't overrated him but with so many prospects this year there's going to be a number of them that in a normal year I would be able to focus a lot on them but not this year unless I can start making a good bit more money and free up some more time to watch more games.
From what you have seen, do You think he’s playing down to his competition?

Also, I think we can all benefit in you making more money to free up your time for your YouTube channel. How can we help you make more money?

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
What absurdity am I reading in this thread? It was predicted that because he pLaYeD aGaInsT mEn that he would mop the floor with the kids in the OHL, and now that he's producing 3rd rounder D-year numbers it's actually because he's too good for the league. The shittiness of the hockey discombobulates his frontal lobe and he can't do a hockey good anymore.
What is farfetched about the notion of "adapting down" and picking up lazy habits? Many types of individuals adapt to the requirements needed in a prolongued exposure to an environment. In this case, we call it "adapting down" simply because the performance requirements in the OHL is less than at the Pro level. That's how the brain works, and the amount it does so depends on different individuals traits and motivational factors.

Reactions: Bombshell11

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What is farfetched about the notion of "adapting down" and picking up lazy habits? Many types of individuals adapt to the requirements needed in a prolongued exposure to an environment. In this case, we call it "adapting down" simply because the performance requirements in the OHL is less than at the Pro level. That's how the brain works, and the amount it does so depends on different individuals traits and motivational factors.

Why aren't the other players who are clearly doing better than him ''adapting down''? It's pure cope. He's producing like Allan f***ing McShane and people are trying to spin it like he's too good to be there.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
From what you have seen, do You think he’s playing down to his competition?

Also, I think we can all benefit in you making more money to free up your time for your YouTube channel. How can we help you make more money?

no at times the team just looks a mess but I don't know if he's being held accountable as his efforts aren't always where they should be imo, as it does at times just look like he doesn't give a shit or isn't very happy but who knows what's really going on. He's got to get a lot stronger and add mass as he's too easy to push around but that skating, playmaking alone will get him NHL games for sure.

I need the stock market to stop f***ing around, and my main stock is NLST so I need that shit to hit big as Google stole their tech many years ago and made Billions off it so I'm hoping we win our court case, one of them is coming up in a few weeks either Samsung or Micron as those f***ers stole my company's tech too as well as others (1 settled so far) there's been some good news of late but the stock hasn't moved much yet as tech/growth stocks are seen as shit but that will change in time.

For my youtube ch I need way more views as I don't make shit. It covers my expenses but not my time. I thought of doing a podcast and charging a sub fee like 5 bucks a month or so. I've been talking to @HockeyJunkie87 about it in the past, maybe for when the draft rolls around.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
no at times the team just looks a mess but I don't know if he's being held accountable as his efforts aren't always where they should be imo, as it does at times just look like he doesn't give a shit or isn't very happy but who knows what's really going on. He's got to get a lot stronger and add mass as he's too easy to push around but that skating, playmaking alone will get him NHL games for sure.

I need the stock market to stop f***ing around, and my main stock is NLST so I need that shit to hit big as Google stole their tech many years ago and made Billions off it so I'm hoping we win our court case, one of them is coming up in a few weeks either Samsung or Micron as those f***ers stole my company's tech too as well as others (1 settled so far) there's been some good news of late but the stock hasn't moved much yet as tech/growth stocks are seen as shit but that will change in time.

For my youtube ch I need way more views as I don't make shit. It covers my expenses but not my time. I thought of doing a podcast and charging a sub fee like 5 bucks a month or so. I've been talking to @HockeyJunkie87 about it in the past, maybe for when the draft rolls around.
Seeing as how im not a lawyer, I can’t help there but if definetly sign up to whatever you put out there. Sure a lot of us would. Happy to collab too if you want a guy to write articles.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Ahhh, that looks bad. And he's 5'7", 176 lbs. I don't need to read 66 pages about him. I've read Habsrule post and I had enough.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Why aren't the other players who are clearly doing better than him ''adapting down''? It's pure cope. He's producing like Allan f***ing McShane and people are trying to spin it like he's too good to be there.
What do other OHL players have anything to do with him or his development trajectory? So do you believe that every individual is the same, and thus development is the same and also linear?

What is impossible about the fact that you adapt to the speed of your environment and acquire lazy habits? If intrinsic motivation and certain traits don't push you above and beyond normal required effort level to maintain an edge, what is so hard to believe that you just slow down because you don't need to do more? And if your game is built on speed and hustle, surely that would affect it negatively?

Now, you can make the argument that it's his fault that he has acquired lazy habits, that he's not giving more effort to improve, and you would have a strong point. No one would argue that.

The fact of the matter is, the lack of improvement over the year at the junior level is concerning, all the more so that the lack of improvement can be in part attributed to past qualities he had, which was speed and puck hounding.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What do other OHL players have anything to do with him or his development trajectory? So do you believe that every individual is the same, and thus development is the same and also linear?

What is impossible about the fact that you adapt to the speed of your environment and acquire lazy habits? If intrinsic motivation and certain traits don't push you above and beyond normal required effort level to maintain an edge, what is so hard to believe that you just slow down because you don't need to do more? And if your game is built on speed and hustle, surely that would affect it negatively?

Now, you can make the argument that it's his fault that he has acquired lazy habits, that he's not giving more effort to improve, and you would have a strong point. No one would argue that.

The fact of the matter is, the lack of improvement over the year at the junior level is concerning, all the more so that the lack of improvement can be in part attributed to past qualities he had, which was speed and puck hounding.

Other OHL players show you what your development trajectory should look like if you want to be a good player in the NHL. I never said that that development is ''linear'' though.

What's unbelievable about this theory is that this would not also be cause for alarm. As if this is something that will just go away once he's playing against the best players in the world. If you're saying that he doesn't have the motivation to be better than an average 3rd rounder, then I'm not sure what the point of the argument is. That's just saying he's not very good in more words. There's nothing about the OHL that's making Owen Beck ''play down to the OHL level.'' He's playing above its level.

I think it's just more likely that this is the best Filip can do at this time, and it's just not very good.

Reactions: montreal

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Other OHL players show you what your development trajectory should look like if you want to be a good player in the NHL. I never said that that development is ''linear'' though.

What's unbelievable about this theory is that this would not also be cause for alarm. As if this is something that will just go away once he's playing against the best players in the world. If you're saying that he doesn't have the motivation to be better than an average 3rd rounder, then I'm not sure what the point of the argument is. That's just saying he's not very good in more words. There's nothing about the OHL that's making Owen Beck ''play down to the OHL level.'' He's playing above its level.

I think it's just more likely that this is the best Filip can do at this time, and it's just not very good.
Ok, so clearly it seems to me that you don't like him as a prospect and you think he is what he is: a bad player we shouldn't have picked. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ok, so clearly it seems to me that you don't like him as a prospect and you think he is what he is: a bad player we shouldn't have picked. That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

I wouldn't say so. I like him as a player, but I don't like his performance so far, and I like the excuses for it even less.

Reactions: montreal

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

The same story for most of our prospects. I've said it before and i'll say it again, despite all tire pumping on this board about our prospect pool, I still find it weak.

Has it improved? Yes - but that's not saying much considering how shit it was.

Too many small guys who despite their skillset and decent (even strong) numbers, aren't physically strong enough and will eventually get exposed.

We still have a hell of a long way to go....

I said this after the first time Bozovin was re-upped that not only would we not win anything during his tenure, it would take at least 5 another years after his departure to get back to producing great talent again and i still believe that.

I'm so curious to see how Hughes drafts the next 2 years.

I'll cut him some slack for last years draft as he had a late start and had to work with some leftover garbage scouts from the Bozovin era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad