Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Still like the pick but another average game for Mesar. 5 points in his last 10 games is not good enough for him. I was going to watch the last two periods, but I got bored half-way in the third.

Reactions: Runner77

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
As someone who has watched Mesar all year, I think there are a combination of factors that had led to what we’re seeing;

- too many posters want to blame it on awful teammates, but that’s disingenuous. Kitchener is not awful. It is a valid concern that they lack offensive IQ and Pinelli, who is over a PPG in this league prior to Mesar is not a great fit with him because his vision and decision making is suspect, but Mesar hasn’t been sharp

- I still LOL at posters who said things like “he’s too good for junior.” It’s a damn good league as he’s finding out and he is being pushed around a bit now physically, so tell me again how playing with men would help more? Inevitably these are posters who don’t follow the league. He’s not up against weak 16 year olds. He’s up against Nelson and Mintyukov and Mailloux and Del Mastro

- I’d like to see him use his speed much more. He’s too east-west at this point and confused about how to generate offence. He’s a give and go type guy and the team isn’t really creating those looks often, so he has to adjust

His real benefit is he’s an elite passer so playing with guys who are elite at finding openings and making swift plays will help, but he has 2-3 years of developing to do, I’d say. And that’s not a slam. That’s expected for a smaller 18 year old. Let’s just remember it’s not black and white. There are layers to what is going on. As they say, it’s a process!
Glad that you recognize that Pinelli doesnt have the IQ to play with Mesar, that no one in fact has the processing speed to keep up with Mesar's pace.

Mesar is an elite skater, great puckhandler and they dont even use him in transition, Kitchener's transitional game is pathetic and those idiots behind the bench cant even use Mesar's best attributes, thats very frustrating to watch...

Mesar was used to play at a very high pace, now everything goes so slowly and poorly around him that he looks lost at times. Players around him cant even complete a pass, Mesar spends most of his shifts chasing the puck and thats a direct result of the poor execution and poor level players around him.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Still like the pick but another average game for Mesar. 5 points in his last 10 games is not good enough for him. I was going to watch the last two periods, but I got bored half-way in the third.
It's almost like now that he's playing to their system, which he likely wasn't Game 1, he's not producing. Because the Rangers are a really poor team in reality.

The best we can hope for is a trade.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
In the couple of games I watch, Mesar is a turnover machine who skates his way into pressure.
If he does have such a high IQ, then why can't he adjust to Kitchener's other players?

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
In the couple of games I watch, Mesar is a turnover machine who skates his way into pressure.
If he does have such a high IQ, then why can't he adjust to Kitchener's other players?
You haven't watched much then.

Mesar did very well in the camp and pre-season, kitchener has good elements but they're pretty bad coached it seems.

I looked them up and Mike McKenzie has been their coach and GM the last 10 years and the best they've done is 1 conference finals. The guy is 36 years old... so he's been there since he was 26. He's the son of Bob McKenzie.

awesome

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
As someone who has watched Mesar all year, I think there are a combination of factors that had led to what we’re seeing;

- too many posters want to blame it on awful teammates, but that’s disingenuous. Kitchener is not awful. It is a valid concern that they lack offensive IQ and Pinelli, who is over a PPG in this league prior to Mesar is not a great fit with him because his vision and decision making is suspect, but Mesar hasn’t been sharp

- I still LOL at posters who said things like “he’s too good for junior.” It’s a damn good league as he’s finding out and he is being pushed around a bit now physically, so tell me again how playing with men would help more? Inevitably these are posters who don’t follow the league. He’s not up against weak 16 year olds. He’s up against Nelson and Mintyukov and Mailloux and Del Mastro

- I’d like to see him use his speed much more. He’s too east-west at this point and confused about how to generate offence. He’s a give and go type guy and the team isn’t really creating those looks often, so he has to adjust

His real benefit is he’s an elite passer so playing with guys who are elite at finding openings and making swift plays will help, but he has 2-3 years of developing to do, I’d say. And that’s not a slam. That’s expected for a smaller 18 year old. Let’s just remember it’s not black and white. There are layers to what is going on. As they say, it’s a process!

Thank you, great post!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So after the 200 point watch and "too good to play against kids", what if he spends next year in the OHL too? Fine by me. He's years away, let him develop however is best for a small skill guy. AHL would have been awful for him this year.

Suzuki spent 2 years in the OHL. And his 2nd year was excellent for his development.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I went to the Storm Rangers game. Mesar was okay....made a nice pass for their final goal but was otherwise mediocre.

Cam Allen wasn't great either.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Based on this, do you think Slafkovsky could have developed well in the OHL this year? not that he's not developing well in the NHL; I don't want to get into and NHL vs. AHL vs. OHL debate. Just was curious about what he might learn in the OHL itself, irrespective of other leagues.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Maybe he's just not THAT good.
uVcwr4c.png
He'll go on a tear and finish with around 89 goals and 115 assists. He'll soon explode, like a bomb, leaving nothing but shells behind him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
God this is so disappointing. What happened? He had a great start..

Kulich has as many pts in the AHL

For one, Kulich doesn't have as many points in the AHL. Mesar has 14 pts in 12 GP and Kulich has 9 in 15. The point still kind of stands because you can say 9 pts in 15 games in the AHL is equal to 14 pts in 12 games in the OHL.

However, like Mesar, Kulich also got off to a good start. But he only has 1 point in his last 6 games. So he's cooled off after having 8 pts in his first 9 games.

Secondly, Kulich is on one of the best teams in the AHL. Meanwhile, Mesar is on one of the worst teams in the OHL.

But despite that, Mesar is still over a PPG player. He's 4th in scoring on Kitchener. But the second top scorer on the team only has 1 more point than Mesar, but has played 7 more games.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Based on this, do you think Slafkovsky could have developed well in the OHL this year? not that he's not developing well in the NHL; I don't want to get into and NHL vs. AHL vs. OHL debate. Just was curious about what he might learn in the OHL itself, irrespective of other leagues.

My opinion on that is that Slaf was more suited to play with men this year. I know Mesar did last year and the same logic applies to Slaf with getting lots of offensive touches, but he is a lock to play in the NHL so is already learning more about body positioning and managing his shifts.

I never think anyone is ever hurt by playing in junior and it would have been okay for Slaf but he’s at a different spot on the curve than Mesar so NHL/AHL makes more sense.

Thank you, great post!
Thank you. Cheers

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I watched Kitchener live and they were awful. Mesar had his moments but didn't do much. This was a few weeks back and only one game. Honestly reminded me of watching Kingston last year which I also thought looked like they were being coached poorly.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Its a matter of pace, Mesar does everthing fast, too fast for the kids around him that cant keep up with such pace. Personally I dont want Mesar to slow down his pace, I want to see other kids on Kitchener process the game quicker and better, thats the way you improve as a team. Just watch the top teams in the OHL, they all plays with some pace, they execute plays with speed and fluidity. Kitchener is disorganized.

Thats the coaching staff responsability to fix it first and foremost.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I just checked, Mešár has 29 shots in 12 games. That is 2,4 shots per game.
Pinelli @4,2
Mitchell @3,3
Rehkopf @2,6

Maybe there is some area to improve. His shot is OK, so he might just test it a little more.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
Its a matter of pace, Mesar does everthing fast, too fast for the kids around him that cant keep up with such pace. Personally I dont want Mesar to slow down his pace, I want to see other kids on Kitchener process the game quicker and better, thats the way you improve as a team. Just watch the top teams in the OHL, they all plays with some pace, they execute plays with speed and fluidity. Kitchener is disorganized.

Thats the coaching staff responsability to fix it first and foremost.

To be honest.... I don't see another single player on that team that is too talented.
I would expect Mesar to be driving play though, and I don't see him doing that. I see him stick handling needlessly, and skating into areas that make no sense.
I've only watched 3 games mind you....

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Too good for the league..lolll remember..

When you are too good for the league you produce even when you are alone on your team...

Lemieux was playing with Jacques Maillot and Alain Bisson for godsake...

Crosby was playing with Pouliot and Roussin

Mesar is at the right place right now ...and he should be there next year as well....hey Jeff Carter , Perry etc were playing in the OHL at 19 .....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad