Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mesar has slowed down a lot after getting a lot of points his first two games. I wonder if HuGo are worried at all?

Sometimes the stat sheet over a small sample size doesn't tell the whole story.

Have you been watching the games?

Reactions: jaffy27

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Why would they be worried? He's like 3 years away from challenging for a roster spot... No rush.

HuGo said they wanted him getting more points in the OHL as opposed to the AHL where he'd have less opportunities. I still think it's the best spot for him, just wondering what he needs to do to get going again (after all, he started out on fire!)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
HuGo said they wanted him getting more points in the OHL as opposed to the AHL where he'd have less opportunities. I still think it's the best spot for him, just wondering what he needs to do to get going again (after all, he started out on fire!)
Well, it was clearly not a sustainable pace, but I think he'll get better as the season goes on.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Guess

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Maybe he's just not THAT good.
uVcwr4c.png

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well, it was clearly not a sustainable pace, but I think he'll get better as the season goes on.

Yeah he just has some stuff to figure out. The idea that because someone ''played with men'' they'll clown on the OHL because it's a ''league of kids'' lays in tatters. It teaches different skillsets. Mesar is more mature, and plays more responsibly, but his offensive game is stunted from always playing with bigger, stronger, faster players the past 2 years. At the moment, his offence is purely based on counterattack and speed, not sustained pressure, deception, and manipulation.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
As someone who has watched Mesar all year, I think there are a combination of factors that had led to what we’re seeing;

- too many posters want to blame it on awful teammates, but that’s disingenuous. Kitchener is not awful. It is a valid concern that they lack offensive IQ and Pinelli, who is over a PPG in this league prior to Mesar is not a great fit with him because his vision and decision making is suspect, but Mesar hasn’t been sharp

- I still LOL at posters who said things like “he’s too good for junior.” It’s a damn good league as he’s finding out and he is being pushed around a bit now physically, so tell me again how playing with men would help more? Inevitably these are posters who don’t follow the league. He’s not up against weak 16 year olds. He’s up against Nelson and Mintyukov and Mailloux and Del Mastro

- I’d like to see him use his speed much more. He’s too east-west at this point and confused about how to generate offence. He’s a give and go type guy and the team isn’t really creating those looks often, so he has to adjust

His real benefit is he’s an elite passer so playing with guys who are elite at finding openings and making swift plays will help, but he has 2-3 years of developing to do, I’d say. And that’s not a slam. That’s expected for a smaller 18 year old. Let’s just remember it’s not black and white. There are layers to what is going on. As they say, it’s a process!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
As someone who has watched Mesar all year, I think there are a combination of factors that had led to what we’re seeing;

- too many posters want to blame it on awful teammates, but that’s disingenuous. Kitchener is not awful. It is a valid concern that they lack offensive IQ and Pinelli, who is over a PPG in this league prior to Mesar is not a great fit with him because his vision and decision making is suspect, but Mesar hasn’t been sharp

- I still LOL at posters who said things like “he’s too good for junior.” It’s a damn good league as he’s finding out and he is being pushed around a bit now physically, so tell me again how playing with men would help more? Inevitably these are posters who don’t follow the league. He’s not up against weak 16 year olds. He’s up against Nelson and Mintyukov and Mailloux and Del Mastro

- I’d like to see him use his speed much more. He’s too east-west at this point and confused about how to generate offence. He’s a give and go type guy and the team isn’t really creating those looks often, so he has to adjust

His real benefit is he’s an elite passer so playing with guys who are elite at finding openings and making swift plays will help, but he has 2-3 years of developing to do, I’d say. And that’s not a slam. That’s expected for a smaller 18 year old. Let’s just remember it’s not black and white. There are layers to what is going on. As they say, it’s a process!
Does Rehkopf have the talent and hockey sense to work well with Mesar?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Does Rehkopf have the talent and hockey sense to work well with Mesar?
Talent, yes, hockey sense, no. Rehkopf has been frustrating as he has the size, speed and shot to put up huge numbers this year and get himself in the top 25 for the draft.

Trouble is he can be lazy and uncommitted defensively, which he fails to understand costs him offensive time. And he lacks vision and anticipation. If I were coaching him, I’d be doing intensive video work to turn him into Mesar’s perfect match because he absolutely possesses the ability to complement him well. But right now his brain is letting him down.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So after the 200 point watch and "too good to play against kids", what if he spends next year in the OHL too? Fine by me. He's years away, let him develop however is best for a small skill guy. AHL would have been awful for him this year.
Trust the process.............the kid does have a ton of talent. Did people actually think the kid would get 200 pts?
Besides Bombshell!! lol

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Let the kid grow. His agent/bro/sis/dad/pal who is pimping him too much needs to see that the kid will need to work on his game in a very competitive league. Is all.

Kid has skills. Good draft pick. Now, like his bro in the NHL, he needs to learn about being aware on a smaller ice surface. Normal stuff.

Bombshell should go read about Kucherov’s learning curve in the Q, and what was the Lightning’ expectations for his stint in the CHL. And what Tourigny said at the time. It was about learning a 200-foot game and play on a smaller surface.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let the kid grow. His agent/bro/sis/dad/pal who is pimping him too much needs to see that the kid will need to work on his game in a very competitive league. Is all.

Kid has skills. Good draft pick. Now, like his bro in the NHL, he needs to learn about being aware on a smaller ice surface. Normal stuff.

Bombshell should go read about Kucherov’s learning curve in the Q, and what was the Lightning’ expectations for his stint in the CHL. And what Tourigny said at the time. It was about learning a 200-foot game and play on a smaller surface.
I think Bombshel...............is Mesar's dad!! lol

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
He's not going to score 200 points if his teammates can't follow him. He used to play with men in europe, they communicate differently there and from what i have seen so far the biggest challenge he's facing is communication with his teammates. I will watch the game today again and see if they've made any adjustments because so far it seems like the chemistry is kaput.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad