Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
we’re an emotional fanbase. He’s a reminder that sometimes you have to take a break.

Who would have thought that Mesar would pretty much catch up Beck in our prospect rankings this year?
Trust me, people can have all the reminders in the world right in front of them, they don't learn nor care to learn. Emotional validation is all they care about.

Dach was dancing in front of them as a reminder for Slaf, but none of the naysayers cared. The same happened for Mesar, and the same will happen for other players over and over again.

People are limbic slaves.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
we’re an emotional fanbase. He’s a reminder that sometimes you have to take a break.

Who would have thought that Mesar would pretty much catch up Beck in our prospect rankings this year?

Not for me. Mesar needs to get stronger on the puck, continue to attack the net with the puck, and keep creating space for people on his line. Beck has an nhl game. Mesar might end up the better player, but Beck is smart and great a long the boards, different game than Mesar, but there's a lot of players like Mesar and not too many like Beck. Beck is in the mold of a defensive center and Mesar is a small winger. Mesar has a tougher hill to climb, imo.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have a hard time valuing the WJC much. Suzuki and Sergachev looked terrible while Poehling and Romanov looked like stars. Of course it's better to be good at the WJC than bad, but I still have serious doubts on how well he can translate into the NHL. Even though I would have drafted others ahead of him, I still had Mesar as a solid pick in the late 1st. Time will tell.
I learned to take this tournament with a grain of salt when I was down on McDonagh as a prospect because of his performance at said tournament. Never again. We have to see that tournament for what it is. A tournament. And it's fun to see our players do good. Anybody who uses that tournament to give a definite answer as to their potential is just not serious enough. Positively or negatively.

It's all great to use the tournament to place a kid in a draft list. Fine with me. 'Cause even the draft in the end is not indicative to a player's potential. Anybody has seen no change in re-drafts? I do cool down on Helenius because of the tournament. But cooling down on the kid doesn't mean he's suddenly a ND or I have him in the 7th round. And him having a ordinairy tournament, again, is in no way indicative of his future career....nor it is for Mesar. But you have to hope it is for Mesar is that he helps him build his confidence. Makes him understand even more his strengths and his weaknesses.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Trust me, people can have all the reminders in the world right in front of them, they don't learn nor care to learn. Emotional validation is all they care about.

Dach was dancing in front of them as a reminder for Slaf, but none of the naysayers cared. The same happened for Mesar, and the same will happen for other players over and over again.

People are limbic slaves.
Makes no sense. First, who cares about prospect rankings....it's just fun to do...it means absolutely nothing. Just like rating a draft immediately after it happens. It,s really fun to do. But it means nothing. When a prospect ranking changes after 1 single tournament, or after 10 games in row in a year....at that age, it means nothing.

Also. having Dach to proove how wrong people were for Slaf...is mindboggling. First, not his fault, and while we think Dach will become all that...he still hasn't proven anything yet. And then, you look at Dach, or Thompson, or Byfield for Slaf....some could also look at other big guys that didn't make it too. If you know hockey, you shouldn't have to look at others....you should just look at the players and what he brings, his qualities and so on. Right now, Slaf has everything to be a NHL'er. He does have fine vision. He skates well. HIt hard, work awesome along the boards. What still needs to be determined is his offensive acumen and how a goalscorer he can become. That's about it. And you can't look at others for that. You have to look at him. When he starts shooting more. When we will see goalies standing on their head to stop him. And when you see him start scoring.

Mesar to this day still needs to become stronger. Still have to show that he can go to tougher spots. Geez we wish Caufield will also do it...why woudln't Mesar? He needs to show that he can be as dynamic at higher levels. Who cares what other players of his stature do it when others of his stature don't do it?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I learned to take this tournament with a grain of salt when I was down on McDonagh as a prospect because of his performance at said tournament. Never again. We have to see that tournament for what it is. A tournament. And it's fun to see our players do good. Anybody who uses that tournament to give a definite answer as to their potential is just not serious enough. Positively or negatively.

It's all great to use the tournament to place a kid in a draft list. Fine with me. 'Cause even the draft in the end is not indicative to a player's potential. Anybody has seen no change in re-drafts? I do cool down on Helenius because of the tournament. But cooling down on the kid doesn't mean he's suddenly a ND or I have him in the 7th round. And him having a ordinairy tournament, again, is in no way indicative of his future career....nor it is for Mesar. But you have to hope it is for Mesar is that he helps him build his confidence. Makes him understand even more his strengths and his weaknesses.

Makes no sense. First, who cares about prospect rankings....it's just fun to do...it means absolutely nothing. Just like rating a draft immediately after it happens. It,s really fun to do. But it means nothing. When a prospect ranking changes after 1 single tournament, or after 10 games in row in a year....at that age, it means nothing.

Also. having Dach to proove how wrong people were for Slaf...is mindboggling. First, not his fault, and while we think Dach will become all that...he still hasn't proven anything yet. And then, you look at Dach, or Thompson, or Byfield for Slaf....some could also look at other big guys that didn't make it too. If you know hockey, you shouldn't have to look at others....you should just look at the players and what he brings, his qualities and so on. Right now, Slaf has everything to be a NHL'er. He does have fine vision. He skates well. HIt hard, work awesome along the boards. What still needs to be determined is his offensive acumen and how a goalscorer he can become. That's about it. And you can't look at others for that. You have to look at him. When he starts shooting more. When we will see goalies standing on their head to stop him. And when you see him start scoring.

Mesar to this day still needs to become stronger. Still have to show that he can go to tougher spots. Geez we wish Caufield will also do it...why woudln't Mesar? He needs to show that he can be as dynamic at higher levels. Who cares what other players of his stature do it when others of his stature don't do it?

well said! :clap::cheers:

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

You didn't get the point of the post at all.

First of all, I rarely ever mention player comparables for analysis of any player, because each player has to be evaluated individually and not lazily lumped in the same bucket as someone else. I guess we agree on that.

The reason I brought up the Dach comparison, was that we kept saying that Dach, at 21, had lots of development left and actually improved. Slaf is 19, doesn't have a full season of experience yet, and the naysayers were already calling him a bust. The point of the comparison was not Dach, the individual player, but the development time needed by a young player. "Dach was dancing in front of them" was because Dach is on our team, and they could see up close and personal how development can change a player, and so should apply patience with Slaf because young players need.... time! Yet, many still refused to have patience even though there was an example in front of them of why patience is needed. Dach could be 5'11" player named Dalton, but if the development curve improved drastically, it would still serve as a comparison. Not to the player. To the concept of patience and development.

Same thing for Mesar. He still has some flaws and improvements to make, but so many had already written him off after last year. In his situation, context and coaching made a huge difference on top of his personal growth.

Yet, many here will keep being impatient and make career calls when a kid hasn't even reached 22 years-old.

THAT, was the point.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Same thing for Mesar. He still has some flaws and improvements to make, but so many had already written him off after last year. In his situation, context and coaching made a huge difference on top of his personal growth.

Last year people were calling out his low PPG and his defensive flaws.

This year the same people praise his high PPG but don't want to talk about his flaws no more.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Sorry if someone already asked...
(and shame on me for not already knowing! *joke*).

But...is Mesar being used mostly as a winger (for Slovakia) or as a center (sometimes?).
Thanks/cheers (ahead of time) for any info on this.
Thanks.

Near future?:

Slafkovsky - Beck - Mesar

or

Slafkovsky - Dach - Mesar

or

Roy/H-Pinard - Mesar - Slafkovksy

or

Slafkovsky - Celibrini - Mesar
(one can dream!)

Reactions: DAChampion

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
In the WJC he was used as a winger I believe same for kitchner but Marty played Mesar on the centre during pre season games.

Or at least that's how I remember it.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

First of all, I rarely ever mention player comparables for analysis of any player, because each player has to be evaluated individually and not lazily lumped in the same bucket as someone else. I guess we agree on that.

The reason I brought up the Dach comparison, was that we kept saying that Dach, at 21, had lots of development left and actually improved. Slaf is 19, doesn't have a full season of experience yet, and the naysayers were already calling him a bust. The point of the comparison was not Dach, the individual player, but the development time needed by a young player. "Dach was dancing in front of them" was because Dach is on our team, and they could see up close and personal how development can change a player, and so should apply patience with Slaf because young players need.... time! Yet, many still refused to have patience even though there was an example in front of them of why patience is needed. Dach could be 5'11" player named Dalton, but if the development curve improved drastically, it would still serve as a comparison. Not to the player. To the concept of patience and development.

Yet, many here will keep being impatient and make career calls when a kid hasn't even reached 22 years-old.

THAT, was the point.
I actually agree for the most part, but if we didn't discuss prospects strengths and weaknesses before they turned 22, then we wouldn't have anything to talk about here.

Blanket statements like X player is a bust are annoying, but when people who actually watch the games post their opinions on a players future it brings more value than just saying "wait 5 years".

By the same notion, it is still too early for a victory lap on Mesar. The reason many were down on him was not just the OHL production last season, but it was his attitude about playing in the OHL in general, thinking he was deserving of a promotion over other prospects despite being younger and proving less. Much of that concern was alleviated when he told the press he was happy to go to the OHL and arrived motivated.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

THAT, was the point.
The day you start using a name in a comparison can't be the day where you whine about people missing a point. If your overall point was just about letting kid develop as it's been proven times and times again that a lot of players actually do that...well...yeah. Some players do develop. Others don't. To each their own. And again, if your point is that players do develop....sorry, I don't see the point. I want you to tell me why you think Slaf might be a top 50 scorer. I want the idiots who called him a bust at 19 to tell me why they think he is.

Comparisons is lazy. But so is ''players can develop'' too. Yeah they can. No shit. They do. All the time. Even in the NHL despite not being a development league (@417 don't interrupt me....:laugh:).

While it's a Mesar thread....I'll just say this for Slaf....reason why people who don't know hockey panic are this: He still isn't McDavid. He doesn't rack points at 19. He seemed lost at 18. He is a No1 pick. Cooley looks good with his moves. THAT'S IT. There's no comparison to Dach, Thompson, Byfield, Nolan Patrick or Jesse Puljujarvi that will change the whole Slaf is a bust stupid one-liner.

For Mesar, well for me, it is a mix. A mix between who I would have wanted in Kulich. But also how I fear that the chance of success in tougher league when you stay at the perimeter is not high. It's NEVER about his skills. His vision. His skating. And it's never in comparison to Kucherov, Pastrnak, or Rob Schremp. It's about how HE plays the game. And what the game is asking players to do nowadays. I,m telling you right now that, IN MY OPINION, if he doesn't change his game a little, his skills won't be enough. But if players CAN evolve. So can he. And that's my hope. Is he a bust? lol Of course he is not. NOBODY is till you have enough viewing time and you see a lack of progression. Kid is still in juniors. Nobody can know what his progression is about. If he can bring the dynamism in the AHL as we've seen doing all tournament long and in juniors.....he will have a shot.

So MY point....when everyboyd knows and their mother that players CAN evolve.....every analysis of a player should be made based on what said player is doing....not what others that look like him did.....'cause of each success story, we could counterpart with a disaster one.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The day you start using a name in a comparison can't be the day where you whine about people missing a point. If your overall point was just about letting kid develop as it's been proven times and times again that a lot of players actually do that...well...yeah. Some players do develop. Others don't. To each their own. And again, if your point is that players do develop....sorry, I don't see the point. I want you to tell me why you think Slaf might be a top 50 scorer. I want the idiots who called him a bust at 19 to tell me why they think he is.

Comparisons is lazy. But so is ''players can develop'' too. Yeah they can. No shit. They do. All the time. Even in the NHL despite not being a development league (@417 don't interrupt me....:laugh:).

While it's a Mesar thread....I'll just say this for Slaf....reason why people who don't know hockey panic are this: He still isn't McDavid. He doesn't rack points at 19. He seemed lost at 18. He is a No1 pick. Cooley looks good with his moves. THAT'S IT. There's no comparison to Dach, Thompson, Byfield, Nolan Patrick or Jesse Puljujarvi that will change the whole Slaf is a bust stupid one-liner.

For Mesar, well for me, it is a mix. A mix between who I would have wanted in Kulich. But also how I fear that the chance of success in tougher league when you stay at the perimeter is not high. It's NEVER about his skills. His vision. His skating. And it's never in comparison to Kucherov, Pastrnak, or Rob Schremp. It's about how HE plays the game. And what the game is asking players to do nowadays. I,m telling you right now that, IN MY OPINION, if he doesn't change his game a little, his skills won't be enough. But if players CAN evolve. So can he. And that's my hope. Is he a bust? lol Of course he is not. NOBODY is till you have enough viewing time and you see a lack of progression. Kid is still in juniors. Nobody can know what his progression is about. If he can bring the dynamism in the AHL as we've seen doing all tournament long and in juniors.....he will have a shot.

So MY point....when everyboyd knows and their mother that players CAN evolve.....every analysis of a player should be made based on what said player is doing....not what others that look like him did.....'cause of each success story, we could counterpart with a disaster one.
I'm gonna let you cook, but i'm watching....:naughty:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

But...is Mesar being used mostly as a winger (for Slovakia) or as a center (sometimes?).
Thanks.

Near future?:

or

or

or

(one can dream!)

he's mostly used as a winger but will take draws from time to time. I believe he said he prefers center but I could be wrong there. I don't really see him as a center at least not yet as he is very skinny and easily pushed off pucks so for now I would put him on the wing in Laval next season.

But if they wanted to try him at center next season, if Houle weren't the coach maybe they could try Farrell Mesar Roy as that would be fun to watch. Mesar and Roy would go well together since Mesar likes to rush the puck into the zone with speed and Roy knows he can't handle the puck for long so he gets rid of it quickly.

Reactions: Mister Hab

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

I don't know what you're aguing about, and why you're so damn agressive in everything you wrote. By the way, not an insult, but you've been around these boards a long time (I've been around since 2005), and I find you've been more and more emotional over the years. We all get a little bit more butter and

I don't know what you're arguing about and why you're so agressive in doing so. Btw, I've read your posts on theses boards a long time (I've been around since 2005), and I find your posts more and more emotional over the last couple of years. Not meant as an insult or anything, but I know we all all grow more bitter and less impatient over the years, but you should be more chill, dude! ;)

Yeah, my point is that players need time to develop, and many fail to understand that. Namely, the "idiots" you so aptly pointed out. The point is directed at them.

I would strongly disagree with you when you say "everybody and their mothers know that players can develop", because there are many people (and I mean LOTS, not just the idiots with the hot takes) who don't believe in development, and what goes into it. You see it every day on these boards, on social media, in traditional media, in conversations... People can say the word development all they want, doesn't mean they understand or believe in it.

Reactions: montreal

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not for me. Mesar needs to get stronger on the puck, continue to attack the net with the puck, and keep creating space for people on his line. Beck has an nhl game. Mesar might end up the better player, but Beck is smart and great a long the boards, different game than Mesar, but there's a lot of players like Mesar and not too many like Beck. Beck is in the mold of a defensive center and Mesar is a small winger. Mesar has a tougher hill to climb, imo.
Beck has a more projectable game at that point, fair point, but his upside more limited to a bottom lines role. Mesar is more of a work in progress, but the upside, skills level higher.

Basically, Mesar is in the same boat as Hutson and Hutson's flaws didnt prevent some posters over here to rank him 1st in our prospects pool.

@montreal talks alot about Mesar lacks of strength, but when it comes to Hutson, its like that detail doesnt really matters, at least not as much. Sounds like double standart to me.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Beck has a more projectable game at that point, fair point, but his upside more limited to a bottom lines role. Mesar is more of a work in progress, but the upside, skills level higher.

Basically, Mesar is in the same boat as Hutson and Hutson's flaws didnt prevent some posters over here to rank him 1st in our prospects pool.

@montreal talks alot about Mesar lacks of strength, but when it comes to Hutson, its like that detail doesnt really matters, at least not as much. Sounds like double standart to me.

Hutson put up historic numbers last year, whereas Mesar had a very disappointing season.

Reactions: montreal

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hutson put up historic numbers last year, whereas Mesar had a very disappointing season.
And this year he is getting outscored by Buium in the NCAA, who is also the best defenseman on team USA, meanwhile Mesar is having both a great season in the OHL and a great WJC. Not trying to downgrade Hutson since he is a really good prospect and we are lucky to have him in the system, so we are to have Mesar.

Also, Mesar was playing his 1st season in NA, the adjustment just has been tougher than expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bombshell11

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
And this year he is getting outscored by Buium in the NCAA, who is also the best defenseman on team USA, meanwhile Mesar is having both a great season in the OHL and a great WJC. Not trying to downgrade Hutson since he is a really good prospect and we are lucky to have him in our system, so we are to have Mesar.

Also, Mesar was playing his 1st season in NA, the adjustment just has been tougher than expected.

Buium being great isn't a knock on Hutson at all. He's very likely being picked top 10 this year.

Mesar is having a good season, and will jump up in the habs prospect ranking, but what he's done still doesn't compare to what Hutson has done.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Thanks.

Near future?:

or

or

or

(one can dream!)
Beck doesn't belong on a top 6

His offense just isn't enough unless he really takes the next step at the next level like danault. I don't expect it but I hope I'm wrong

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Buium being great isn't a knock on Hutson at all. He's very likely being picked top 10 this year.

Mesar is having a good season, and will jump up in the habs prospect ranking, but what he's done still doesn't compare to what Hutson has done.
Yep its not a knock on Hutson, Buium is great and should get picked top 10 easily. Im just fed up to read the size criticims on Mesar when we didnt hear near as much on Farrell when he was ranked 3rd by montreal. Mesar is much more explosive than Farrell will ever be. Hopefully he gets more recognizion in his next rankings.

Reactions: Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

don't be silly, who wouldn't be concerned with Hutson's lack of size since there's never been a defensemen in the NHL like him before. I've said I would rather he repeat one more year at BU at 160 lbs is a major concern but much like Caufield he's very smart and usually keeps from getting hit unlike say some like Poehling who seem to have their head down way too often.

At the end of the day, if you have issues then you need to produce to offset those issues. Hutson being the greatest American born Freshman U-19 blueliner in NCAA history to me gives him some lead way since the hope is that he continues to progress and if so then hopefully he can produce enough so that the Habs can live with his shortcomings.

Mesar has the speed and skating, the Habs badly need a player like that can rush the puck into the offensive zone at high speed. But players that only work hard when they want to is a bit of a red flag. I've said it before, he was doing the same things Caufield was doing in his Freshman year. The Habs sent both of them a message and it sounds like both got the message which is what you want to see.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I remember when Poehling had great tournament, Mysak was outstanding. Primeau also. This tournament means zero.

Putting too much weight on WJC led to us losing McDinagh.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
don't be silly, who wouldn't be concerned with Hutson's lack of size since there's never been a defensemen in the NHL like him before. I've said I would rather he repeat one more year at BU at 160 lbs is a major concern but much like Caufield he's very smart and usually keeps from getting hit unlike say some like Poehling who seem to have their head down way too often.

At the end of the day, if you have issues then you need to produce to offset those issues. Hutson being the greatest American born Freshman U-19 blueliner in NCAA history to me gives him some lead way since the hope is that he continues to progress and if so then hopefully he can produce enough so that the Habs can live with his shortcomings.

Mesar has the speed and skating, the Habs badly need a player like that can rush the puck into the offensive zone at high speed. But players that only work hard when they want to is a bit of a red flag. I've said it before, he was doing the same things Caufield was doing in his Freshman year. The Habs sent both of them a message and it sounds like both got the message which is what you want to see.
Where do you have Mesar ranked at that point vs lets say Farrell?

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Broskie, this is a major understatement. any team needs that kind of player on their roster.
Entering the zone with ease the way he's doing it opens up spaces for his teammates and this is why he creates so many chances per game.

Now he doesn't have a dominant shot but if magically in a year or two he develops one a la Caufield, the prophecy will materialize.

The guy was devasted after Slovakia lost, i think he even cried on the rink. He never striked me like the guy who takes days off. He looks confused AS F sometimes and that is really annoying but i think this will get fixed with time.

Sometimes the way you describe him, i feel like you're describing Samsonov when he was a hab.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad