Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Where do you think he should be playing?

He hasn't earned AHL at all. Going back to Slovakia would be a terrible look, not sure any decent SHL or Liiga team would even want him
That's a little far. He may not be in the top six of a good SHL or Liiga team but he'd crack top minutes on a bottom team easily. I'd say he could probably handle the AHL if we didn't have the depth we do. Probably he'd have a decent 20-30 point season with more than half coming in the second half of the season.

I do agree the OHL is better for where he's at and what Laval already has in the system. It's absurd a guy like Kidney who destroyed the q couldn't even get dressed.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's a little far. He may not be in the top six of a good SHL or Liiga team but he'd crack top minutes on a bottom team easily. I'd say he could probably handle the AHL if we didn't have the depth we do. Probably he'd have a decent 20-30 point season with more than half coming in the second half of the season.

I do agree the OHL is better for where he's at and what Laval already has in the system. It's absurd a guy like Kidney who destroyed the q couldn't even get dressed.
Mesar is a junior player who needs to play in a junior league. He's not ready for the pro-circuit. That has been proven out. If he was Canadian, this would be a non-issue.

Reactions: Tim Wallach and LaP

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Mesar is a junior player who needs to play in a junior league. He's not ready for the pro-circuit. That has been proven out. If he was Canadian, this would be a non-issue.
I don't think the difference from the Slovak league to Liiga is quite as large as to the AHL. I think Liiga is slightly better than the OHL. He didn't suddenly forget how to play against men, he just wasn't good enough for the second best league. A lot of guys are staying in the AHL longer versus going to Europe at 23 since covid.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm not worried about Mesar as different players have different cursus. Moreover the draft is a gamble and you can't always win. There are different good and bad aspects for every league. Going to the AHL this year is kind of like a francophone going to English cegep, there are pros and cons. I would advise you not to stick to one idea as if it was the omniscient truth because in the end no one knows and especially not guys like Craig Button on the sick podcast talking about Slaf... I'm just asking for a little humility, please.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think the difference from the Slovak league to Liiga is quite as large as to the AHL. I think Liiga is slightly better than the OHL. He didn't suddenly forget how to play against men, he just wasn't good enough for the second best league. A lot of guys are staying in the AHL longer versus going to Europe at 23 since covid.
He didn't dominate junior. He was an above average player in the O. He needs to stay in junior, get tons of minutes and develop his offensive game in all situations.

Why wouldn't he go back? He hasn't proven that to be better than junior yet.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
It's odd, but he reminds me of Scott Gomez...
Get the puck.... skate it fast through the neutral zone....
Avoid pressure and skate to the half boards.... pivot to avoid more pressure...
Pass the puck or lose it.

I've seen him do this time and time again. The habit wasn't broken last year, and he did the same thing in exhibition games for Montreal this season.

I'm hopeful that his Kitchener coach can teach him a way around this situation.
He's got skills, he's got speed.... now he just needs to learn how to play the game.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
It's odd, but he reminds me of Scott Gomez...
Get the puck.... skate it fast through the neutral zone....
Avoid pressure and skate to the half boards.... pivot to avoid more pressure...
Pass the puck or lose it.

I've seen him do this time and time again. The habit wasn't broken last year, and he did the same thing in exhibition games for Montreal this season.

I'm hopeful that his Kitchener coach can teach him a way around this situation.
He's got skills, he's got speed.... now he just needs to learn how to play the game.
I've seen him attack the middle through traffic many times, but he might be too ambitious at times for the pass to work.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Drafting him was beyond puzzling.
He's Slaf best friend why they picked him. But had him in camp last two years. Did same thing. Sent him to Laval then turned around sent him to junior. Said he not strong enough. Knew that in camp? WTF? He's 155lbs soaking wet by looking at him.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
But I'm the one here with ridiculous takes... sure guys

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've seen him attack the middle through traffic many times, but he might be too ambitious at times for the pass to work.
I agree with the previous poster as he is an extremely perimeter player who does not challenge the middle nearly enough.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I agree with the previous poster as he is an extremely perimeter player who does not challenge the middle nearly enough.
He has beautiful skating and stickhandling. I've seen him dangle in front of the net, but he always seems to lose the puck before executing the decisive pass or finishing. The hope is that he gets better with age, strength and confidence seem to be the main issue.

I am worried that the issue is between the ears with him. It is possible that attaching him to Slafkovsky from an early age was the wrong decision for both of their development, adding too much pressure on Mesar

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
But I'm the one here with ridiculous takes... sure guys
Physically Liiga is ten steps ahead but there's no one who puts a hundred points up in the OHL that won't be a star in Liiga when they're an adult. There's plenty that didn't pan out in higher European leagues.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Physically Liiga is ten steps ahead but there's no one who puts a hundred points up in the OHL that won't be a star in Liiga when they're an adult. There's plenty that didn't pan out in higher European leagues.
Realistically the opposite is true - there is no adult that plays top-6 in Liiga that wouldn't absolutely destroy the OHL haha

I'm sure there are dozens but here are a few former 90-100 point OHL players that couldn't crack the liiga

And if you change the argument to actually apply to Mesar, a sub PPG OHL player at 19, the list of players who aren't Liiga stars becomes a whole lot bigger....

If I tagged every person who is making stupid cry baby posts, I'd spend an eternity just trying to get one post out.
Get off my dick dude

I said Mesar doesn't deserve to play AHL and somehow that's a stupid cry baby post

Make an argument that he deserves to play in the AHL instead of whining about it

Last edited:

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
He has beautiful skating and stickhandling. I've seen him dangle in front of the net, but he always seems to lose the puck before executing the decisive pass or finishing. The hope is that he gets better with age, strength and confidence seem to be the main issue.

I am worried that the issue is between the ears with him. It is possible that attaching him to Slafkovsky from an early age was the wrong decision for both of their development, adding too much pressure on Mesar
I've got to defend him though too.
How many times did he set a guy up last year who couldn't finish?
I expect him to do quite well on Friday.
He'll do ok under this new coach.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Where do you think he deserves to play?
You already read my message.

But acting like SHL or LIIGA teams wouldn't be lining up for him is f***ing hilarious.

What's painful is your babying of Mesar and @WeThreeKings inability to @ me in any post talking shit about me ;)

you still think Mesar deserved to start in the AHL last season
And he should have... we'd be a lot further ahead in his development and our projections of him.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You already read my message.

But acting like SHL or LIIGA teams wouldn't be lining up for him is f***ing hilarious.

And he should have... we'd be a lot further ahead in his development and our projections of him.
Decent SHL or Liiga teams like I said? I don't think so, but it is a conversation I would be willing to have.

He is not more prepared for the AHL now than Mysak was. Mysak performed better in the OHL at the same age, played a more defensively sound game, and captained the Czech junior team. He came into the AHL older than Mesar and ended up with 9 points in 40 AHL games. Why would we expect better from Mesar? OHL is the best place for him

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Decent SHL or Liiga teams like I said? I don't think so, but it is a conversation I would be willing to have.

He is not more prepared for the AHL now than Mysak was. Mysak performed better in the OHL at the same age, played a more defensively sound game, and captained the Czech junior team. He came into the AHL older than Mesar and ended up with 9 points in 40 AHL games. Why would we expect better from Mesar? OHL is the best place for him
I've already explained the reasoning many times, but I disagree. I think he'd be better in the AHL than he is in the OHL based on his personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad