Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The poster you are quoting was just spewing nonsense (especially with the latter half of that quote) and Houle was absolutely correct in telling Mysak to focus more on his overall game as he is not an offensive prospect and is well down the list in the organization as far as pure skill is concerned. Hughes and MSL have talked about prospects needing to find their chair and this is all Houle was doing. Mysak's ticket to the NHL is as a bottom six defensive prospect who hopefully can chip in some offence as he goes to the net and has a decent shot. Him attempting to play too pretty in the AHL is only going to hurt himself and his chances of ever playing in the NHL.

I love his compete level and he has made some improvements to his skating so he has a chance but Houle is 100% doing him a favour by telling him the difficult truth.

The last sentence kind of confirms the overall bias against Houle by some posters as it is irrational imo and not warranted. The fact that he was a Bergevin hire also plays a huge factor...

Mesar was easily one of the worst players on the ice tonight as he made at least 3 awful turnovers. That being said he showed some flashes as well and we just need to be patient and let the process play out instead of taking the lazy way out and blaming the coach which is the common layman's response.
The reality is that some talented, but not ultra talented players can have a career -- even a very successful career -- in the NHL. However, whether you want to use the word chair, or something else, those players have to find a niche for themselves in order to have that career.

Hell, Carbonneau is the perfect example of this. In Juniors, he was a 50-goal scorer. Yet, instead of insisting on being that player in the NHL (which he might never have become despite banging his head on a wall trying), he packaged his hockey IQ, his speed and his sense of anticipation and found niche as one of the premier shutdown Cs with offensive upside in the whole League. His leadership skills and a will to place the team ahead of himself also lead to him becoming Captain of the team!

There's no humiliation tied to being an NHL 4th line C or winger that plays as a role-player, and there is nothing preventing that player to strive to be the best in that role, standing out from the lot with the same role in the NHL.

I don't know where or if Mesar will play in the NHL. Beck, who some said had 2nd line upside, could be our elite 4th line C who can chip in 10 goals and shutdown the opponents' best players, allowing MSL, once we get back Ito the playoffs, to rotate his lines with impunity and keep his better players rested as an edge against the competition.

Houle is just keeping in line with what management in Montreal wants. An AHL team services the NHL team, nothing more, nothing less.

There is no deliberate sabotage of player, nor one stemming from complete incompetence, as some are suggesting.

If Houle wasn't doing the job that is asked of him by the Montreal Canadiens, he would simply be replaced.

Now that there is a genuine development department in Montreal, every prospect is analyzed from head to toe. The organization knows what weaknesses they want to address for each player and what strengths they want to nurture.

Houle may not have the personality of a Bouchard before him, but he's far from a complete moron.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
The reality is that some talented, but not ultra talented players can have a career -- even a very successful career -- in the NHL. However, whether you want to use the word chair, or something else, those players have to find a niche for themselves in order to have that career.

Hell, Carbonneau is the perfect example of this. In Juniors, he was a 50-goal scorer. Yet, instead of insisting on being that player in the NHL (which he might never have become despite banging his head on a wall trying), he packaged his hockey IQ, his speed and his sense of anticipation and found niche as one of the premier shutdown Cs with offensive upside in the whole League. His leadership skills and a will to place the team ahead of himself also lead to him becoming Captain of the team!

There's no humiliation tied to being an NHL 4th line C or winger that plays as a role-player, and there is nothing preventing that player to strive to be the best in that role, standing out from the lot with the same role in the NHL.

I don't know where or if Mesar will play in the NHL. Beck, who some said had 2nd line upside, could be our elite 4th line C who can chip in 10 goals and shutdown the opponents' best players, allowing MSL, once we get back Ito the playoffs, to rotate his lines with impunity and keep his better players rested as an edge against the competition.

Houle is just keeping in line with what management in Montreal wants. An AHL team services the NHL team, nothing more, nothing less.

There is no deliberate sabotage of player, nor one stemming from complete incompetence, as some are suggesting.

If Houle wasn't doing the job that is asked of him by the Montreal Canadiens, he would simply be replaced.

Now that there is a genuine development department in Montreal, every prospect is analyzed from head to toe. The organization knows what weaknesses they want to address for each player and what strengths they want to nurture.

Houle may not have the personality of a Bouchard before him, but he's far from a complete moron.

We are in complete agreement........not sure if you meant to respond to me but you are definitely supporting everything that I am saying.

It should be pointed out however that the Carbonneau thing is not as great of an example as people think. He was drafted in the 3rd round as a 19 year old despite scoring over 140 points and the next year he scored 182 points as a 20 year old but was one of four to break 180 points in the Q that season lol.

He never was regarded as a future star but he certainly turned into a great all around player and was one of my all time favourite Habs.

I still remember Sebastien Bordeleau being hyped as the next Carbonneau after scoring a ton in the Q but we knew he was not going to be a star.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I'm happy to get him away from our shit coaches in the AHL. I don't think he should be in the OHL, but I'd rather him there then the AHL now.

lol... yup, people are always kept in positions because they are doing a great job.

I hope I never see you criticize Burrows or any of the other coaching staff. Because they're obviously doing exactly what Montreal wants.

Ps. Every coach has their favourites. Don't be crazy.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
He has a lot of room to develop his game. We want Mesar to be a premier player at the jr. level, and I hope he shows it this year. A lot of PP time and developing a better understanding of creating small windows of space for himself on the ice. A more consistent player.

He has a lot of tools but he simply just doesn't deserve a spot in Laval. he's not talented enough to not put in more time at the jr. level.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad