Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The only thing frustrating me currently is that Adrian Misaljevic is a poor man's version of Mesar. Same size, same speed, same position. And he has slid into the vacancy on Kitchener's top line and has put up 16 points in 8 games because this coach has the team working their tails off. He has them buying into creating offence off backchecking and close puck support for the exact type of give and go's and passing schemes that Mesar thrives on.

Like previous posters, I'm okay with him gaining time in the AHL if he's playing. But I really think the taint of Kitchener's previous coach changed everyone's mindset to the point where he's missing out on a very good situation playing huge minutes right now.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The only thing frustrating me currently is that Adrian Misaljevic is a poor man's version of Mesar. Same size, same speed, same position. And he has slid into the vacancy on Kitchener's top line and has put up 16 points in 8 games because this coach has the team working their tails off. He has them buying into creating offence off backchecking and close puck support for the exact type of give and go's and passing schemes that Mesar thrives on.

Like previous posters, I'm okay with him gaining time in the AHL if he's playing. But I really think the taint of Kitchener's previous coach changed everyone's mindset to the point where he's missing out on a very good situation playing huge minutes right now.

Would that be Juraj's old coach Jussi Ahokas?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You win some, you lose some I guess.

Basically this.

If any one of us were right with any level of consistency, especially when ranking players and choosing them in the right sequence.. we would be the most sought after scouts in the world.

And that statement rings true for actual NHL scouts because even the head scouts of so called good drafting teams have made some decisions that are horrendous at the draft table.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Would that be Juraj's old coach Jussi Ahokas?
Indeed. Though, I'd also credit the new assistants as well. A completely new staff and they immediately corrected the things that plagued the Rangers last year: Work ethic, defensive commitment, organization, passing. All of those things are extreme strengths right now and I can't help but notice they play a very Mesar-friendly game right now. Last year was anything but.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, I haven't watched Kitchener yet this season but I saw where Misaljevic in 8 games has almost as many goals as he had POINTS last year in 47 games.

Not to start any kind of rumors but I have started to wonder about the situation in Laval. We know that Houle is in his last year of his contract. Gorton made it sound like he would be re-signed shortly in an interview about a month or so ago.

Houle's comments on Mesar were not what you want to see from your AHL HC when it's really the 1st year of the big wave of incoming top prospects (mean most of our top 10+ prospects will be in the AHL between this year and next)

So they know they have to get this right, you have to have the right coach for a time like this as we can't afford mistakes with development. That makes this situation with Mesar interesting in that if Houle doesn't play him I wonder how much pressure management would put on him or how concerned they would be.

Granted it could all work out great in the end, not saying it will or won't just got me wondering since this is such a massively important time for our development team as they have a number of projects in Mesar, Farrell, Roy, Kidney, Mailloux, Norlinder, Trudeau, that will need a lot of work.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, I haven't watched Kitchener yet this season but I saw where Misaljevic in 8 games has almost as many goals as he had POINTS last year in 47 games.

Not to start any kind of rumors but I have started to wonder about the situation in Laval. We know that Houle is in his last year of his contract. Gorton made it sound like he would be re-signed shortly in an interview about a month or so ago.

Houle's comments on Mesar were not what you want to see from your AHL HC when it's really the 1st year of the big wave of incoming top prospects (mean most of our top 10+ prospects will be in the AHL between this year and next)

So they know they have to get this right, you have to have the right coach for a time like this as we can't afford mistakes with development. That makes this situation with Mesar interesting in that if Houle doesn't play him I wonder how much pressure management would put on him or how concerned they would be.

Granted it could all work out great in the end, not saying it will or won't just got me wondering since this is such a massively important time for our development team as they have a number of projects in Mesar, Farrell, Roy, Kidney, Mailloux, Norlinder, Trudeau, that will need a lot of work.

If they re=sign Houle.. I'll be very discouraged.

Reactions: Paddy17 and Tyson

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Just this once

Feb 22, 2019
What Houle said was pretty concerning.
He does not play him because of defensive concerns.
And he does not know what the GM wants with him either.
So like bad organizations, he will bench the probably best prospect instead of doing his job and developing him on the ice. So he does videos.

It's the Tinordi development model, just like Primeau. They should seriously think about not drafting at all and do deals like Dach or Newhook. Get players that are already developed, because this is not working.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Mesar (mentally) ready to go back to the OHL and he believes it's a good option too.

Article/interview in French:
I think this is good for him and I like the change in his mindset. I guess he was little bit overwhelmed by all the fame and his goal was to play in NHL asap. Now, he realizes he needs to work a lot and be more patient.
It is interesting that Kitchener is coached by Slaf s former TPS coach. I heard he focuses more on defense and system. This might be actually good for Mešár, he has top offensive skills, just needs to work on his weaknesses and consistency.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Mesar (mentally) ready to go back to the OHL and he believes it's a good option too.

Article/interview in French:
I had not read MAG’s colleague report on Habs’ management alledgedly regretting their pick already. Ouch.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good that he is open to going back - some humbling can be good and get him back to being open about what he needs to improve.

If he has the right mindset, the chances of the pick succeeding go up. If he was going to remain unrealistic and entitled, he was never going to improve.

The stuff on Houle remains of the deepest concern and they need to remove him ASAP. It should have already been done.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Can someone explain why Mesar was taken so high? He went ahead of some very high quality guys and I don't understand or see what they saw that made them jump on him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Can someone explain why Mesar was taken so high? He went ahead of some very high quality guys and I don't understand or see what they saw that made them jump on him.
Louis Leblanc syndrome, went where he was projected to go in the draft….18-year old projection crapshoot

Iirc, McKeens pre draft report said Mesar was a late first round candidate. He had a great run in the Slovak top tier league play-offs until his season ended early due to an injury.

They viewed him as a great skater, playmaker or shooter and a smart / effective player, calling him a high end forward prospect. Main weakness was his lack of physical play, mainly due to his playing style and size

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad