Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Why is the echl not being discussed? Isn't this why they got the Lions in the first place? Mesar could get top minutes there and if he can't cut it, then he's probably not going to succeed.
He want to stay near Montreal to be with his buddy Slafkovsky. Kent Hughes should just put an end to it and send Mesar to the Ohl.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Technically, anyone on an ELC can be sent to the ECHL
For some reason I was under the impression that players on ELCs couldn’t be sent to the echl. But it makes wayyy more sense that it’s the only nhl contract that can be sent there.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't even think Mesar is a great prospect at this point but it's ridiculous to have him just sitting there doing nothing in a crucial development year. Maybe they're trying to force him into asking to going to the OHL himself or testing his character?

This season has already started giving me questions about certain areas of our management. I can excuse things like keeping Burrows cause we're trying to get a top pick, but development shouldn't be an area of concern in a rebuilding club. I don't want the Habs to suck when my son starts to watch games 3-4 years from now. Mesar's one of our only "talented" and non-grindy prospects and we're dicking his development around. Kulich off to another good start. Lambert off to a great start. Minten earned a 9-game stint on an actual contender (in the regular season).

I know the logic is skating with pros will teach him stuff, but if he's going to end up in the OHL anyways his coach there might just take extra time to warm up to him coming into the season late and forgo giving him the best opportunities. Kitchener is torching the league currently and the new coach seems great. Mesar probably wouldn't be able to get away with being a pouty no-defense player there now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't even think Mesar is a great prospect at this point but it's ridiculous to have him just sitting there doing nothing in a crucial development year. Maybe they're trying to force him into asking to going to the OHL himself or testing his character?

This season has already started giving me questions about certain areas of our management. I can excuse things like keeping Burrows cause we're trying to get a top pick, but development shouldn't be an area of concern in a rebuilding club. I don't want the Habs to suck when my son starts to watch games 3-4 years from now. Mesar's one of our only "talented" and non-grindy prospects and we're dicking his development around. Kulich off to another good start. Lambert off to a great start. Minten earned a 9-game stint on an actual contender (in the regular season).

I know the logic is skating with pros will teach him stuff, but if he's going to end up in the OHL anyways his coach there might just take extra time to warm up to him coming into the season late and forgo giving him the best opportunities. Kitchener is torching the league currently and the new coach seems great. Mesar probably wouldn't be able to get away with being a pouty no-defense player there now.
At least he is playing tonight.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Mesar looked like he belonged in the AHL, its his first game, let him adjust to the speed and reaction time, hes got the offensive tools. I think that was a good first game, Houle din't use him too much but for his development it's clear that the AHL is the right place for him.

Its just a matter of time.

And as for Kulich, they're not the same type of player and it's not Mesar's fault so, you know. Did they screw up? We'll know at the end of the year, stay tuned.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Mesar looked like he belonged in the AHL, its his first game, let him adjust to the speed and reaction time, hes got the offensive tools. I think that was a good first game, Houle din't use him too much but for his development it's clear that the AHL is the right place for him.

Its just a matter of time.

And as for Kulich, they're not the same type of player and it's not Mesar's fault so, you know. Did they screw up? We'll know at the end of the year, stay tuned.

Honestly, I don’t mind him in the AHL if they will put him situations where he can display his abilities.

If they can’t do that, they should send him back to the OHL. Don’t want to see him in and out of the line up so much over a long period of time. It won’t be beneficial.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Honestly, I don’t mind him in the AHL if they will put him situations where he can display his abilities.

If they can’t do that, they should send him back to the OHL. Don’t want to see him in and out of the line up so much over a long period of time. It won’t be beneficial.

The key word in your comment is "over a long period of time." I'm fine with him skipping a game here and there as Houle manages the big roster. But as long as he's not being out of the line-up for long periods of time, he should be good.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The kid needs to show more...................not sure what the big deal is?? He doesn't like his develoment path, then it's up to him to show his stuff, and change the direction!

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
looks like may of you are coming around to what i have been preaching about Mesar all along

not an NHL player., they should not have wasted a 1st to draft Slaf's buddy

Slaf has been fine and would still be fine if they didnt draft him

JT3

May 27, 2013
I have no problem with the pick, he's a high skill, high offensive IQ player with + skating. You can see the flashes a handful of times a game, it's just the consistency that needs to be worked on as he constantly fades in and out of the game. He'll make a great play that few players can make and then you won't notice him for a period and a half.

At the end of the day he needs minutes. If he sits a game once every couple weeks to manage the roster (as Adam Michaels said above), that's fine. But any less than that and he should be in Kitchener whether he likes it or not. He's a 1st round pick and he needs to be playing on a regular basis.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have no problem with the pick, he's a high skill, high offensive IQ player with + skating. You can see the flashes a handful of times a game, it's just the consistency that needs to be worked on as he constantly fades in and out of the game. He'll make a great play that few players can make and then you won't notice him for a period and a half.

At the end of the day he needs minutes. If he sits a game once every couple weeks to manage the roster (as Adam Michaels said above), that's fine. But any less than that and he should be in Kitchener whether he likes it or not. He's a 1st round pick and he needs to be playing on a regular basis.

Excellent post.

It's easy to see why they took him at the end of the 1st round. He's still got one of the highest offensive upsides in the pool. He's a young player trying to find consistency.

He's being unfairly held to development expectations of someone else that was picked after him. Not everyone develops at the same pace; nor is it a written law that whoever starts ahead ends up ahead.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
What scout clamored that this was the best option at #26? That's crazy to me.
Watch the draft video at 11:30s. They seemed certain « The little guy » was the player to pick. Gorton brings it in as intro, but Krupa is the one who had eyes on euro talent. Granted we only get to see like minutes of what was probably a week long analysis based on months of viewing.

Reactions: Tyson

JT3

May 27, 2013
Excellent post.

It's easy to see why they took him at the end of the 1st round. He's still got one of the highest offensive upsides in the pool. He's a young player trying to find consistency.

He's being unfairly held to development expectations of someone else that was picked after him. Not everyone develops at the same pace; nor is it a written law that whoever starts ahead ends up ahead.
The funny thing is that he is the exact kind of boom or bust high skill pick that this fanbase clamors for with late 1sts every draft. People had issue with a lot of our late round picks through the 10's (Poehling, McCarron, Juulsen, Tinordi, etc) because they were safer low upside picks. Here with Mesar we've swung for the fences but because it hasn't provided instant gratification he's labelled a terrible pick or a bust. And then as usual folks cherry pick the more successful player who was drafted afterwards and cry about not drafting him.

It's fine to make criticisms about Mesar and his game since being drafted. He had a disappointing season last year and isn't quite where we hoped just yet. But to entirely dismiss him altogether and blame management for a bad pick is ridiculous. It's way, way too early. This ban fase is way too reactionary.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The funny thing is that he is the exact kind of boom or bust high skill pick that this fanbase clamors for with late 1sts every draft. People had issue with a lot of our late round picks through the 10's (Poehling, McCarron, Juulsen, Tinordi, etc) because they were safer low upside picks. Here with Mesar we've swung for the fences but because it hasn't provided instant gratification he's labelled a terrible pick or a bust. And then as usual folks cherry pick the more successful player who was drafted afterwards and cry about not drafting him.

It's fine to make criticisms about Mesar and his game since being drafted. He had a disappointing season last year and isn't quite where we hoped just yet. But to entirely dismiss him altogether and blame management for a bad pick is ridiculous. It's way, way too early. This ban fase is way too reactionary.

Preaching to the choir.

You are absolutely spot on.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I had about 10 players on my draft board ahead of him at the time. I don't see it as a swing for the fences at all.

Reactions: JT3 and montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I'm just hopeful this scouting team knows how to draft forwards. So far the D are looking better than the forwards, as with the previous regime.

But, yes, it's early. I think it's just anxiety about the whole regime, more than one player, given what we've got through for the last 20 freakin' years. We'll see about Mesar vs. Kulich, Reinbacher vs. Michkov and Benson, Slaf v. Cooley, Beck, etc... But that list is an exhaustive one of the 1st and 2nd round picks under this managment team, regarding forwards, not cherry picking. The Newhook use of a 1st and 2nd is looking great. But I think we'll need one more offensive talent bigger than Newhook to contend.

Reactions: JT3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad