Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
If he goes to the OHL he should score 1.25ppg at least to not be considered a bust. If not he's a small offensive winger who struggle to produce offense.

That’s something he should have done last season.

Sure the team was a mess in the first half of the season and it was his first time in NA so you could attribute some of that lesser production to those factors.

There’s games where he just creates so many chances without any sort of tangible conversion, but in the end he needs to find a way to put himself on the scoresheet.

He has the talent and the speed to be one of the best players in the league, and if he does go back he will have no excuses.

Maybe they should keep him as a centerman ????

For me, keeping Kidney over Mesar is a big concern about Mesar level.

I don’t think his future in the NHL is as a centerman.

Honestly, if he had Palat’s tenacity he would be an even bigger threat in the offensive zone.

Winning puck battles along the boards with that speed, those hands and that passing ability he would just be so dangerous every shift.

That’s what he should work on.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I'm not sure what Mesar will become but I don't understand all the negative comments. He's got talent but most think he's under achieved at this point which is fair. The kids wants to play in the AHL. I think you give him a chance to prove that he can which he hasn't had that opportunity to do as of yet.
Give him 10-15 games with laval and see what's he's got and then make a decision.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I'm not sure what Mesar will become but I don't understand all the negative comments. He's got talent but most think he's under achieved at this point which is fair. The kids wants to play in the AHL. I think you give him a chance to prove that he can which he hasn't had that opportunity to do as of yet.
Give him 10-15 games with laval and see what's he's got and then make a decision.

Yeah i think 1909 is going a bit over board with the negativity

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because he is just plain bad. Not 1st round material at all.

Doesn't seem like a 1st round hit today. I think most would agree but it happens. Habs are not the only team to not hit with a 1st rounder (back of the bus). Even the better drafting teams miss with 1st rounders.

The question some posters are asking is what is the point of jumping on on someone when they are down? Where is the value in this? To be a self proclaimed hero when you are right? Is there a gold medal to be won on this stupid game?

"Just plain bad". That's a bad context in itself at explaining the situation. I'm sure you don't want to be a hypocrite?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Doesn't seem like a 1st round hit today. I think most would agree but it happens. Habs are not the only team to not hit with a 1st rounder (back of the bus). Even the better drafting teams miss with 1st rounders.

The question some posters are asking is what is the point of jumping on on someone when they are down? Where is the value in this? To be a self proclaimed hero when you are right? Is there a gold medal to be won on this stupid game?

"Just plain bad". That's a bad context in itself at explaining the situation. I'm sure you don't want to be a hypocrite?
Not every late 1st round pick is ready for the pros before age 20. Filip is not the first, nor the last to fall short.

Find a Junior team for him, or play him in TR nice minutes.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Jared Davidson also wants to play in the AHL and he isn't in the lineup. Despite having been a better producer in a better CHL league (the OHL was by a significant mesure the worse CHL team last season for whatever reason).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not every late 1st round pick is ready for the pros before age 20. Filip is not the first, nor the last to fall short.

I find he's yet another smaller type forward with skill/skating that is struggling in the pro game. At this stage, he's on the outside looking in in our youth pool. Remember fans who thought Kidney was just as good as Roy because he was racking up points in the Q like Roy? Not sure some fans have learned the differences between them two while they were both in Junior. But the points man... the points :facepalm:. In Mesar's case, he was not racking up points in the OHL so does that mean he sucks? Not necessarily but it's not good either. I think a winger like Mesar needs to be with a stud at center...that's how you get the best from him.

So the question I will ask Mesar is... What you going to do about that? Work harder or complain you are not spoiled with opportunity?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Time to pack your bags and block shots for the Langnau Tigers buddy.
dae91d9c-087d-4195-9ff6-c37e2b14278e-USATSI_12175574 (1).png

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I find he's yet another smaller type forward with skill/skating that is struggling in the pro game. At this stage, he's on the outside looking in in our youth pool. Remember fans who thought Kidney was just as good as Roy because he was racking up points in the Q like Roy? Not sure some fans have learned the differences between them two while they were both in Junior. But the points man... the points :facepalm:. In Mesar's case, he was not racking up points in the OHL so does that mean he sucks? Not necessarily but it's not good either. I think a winger like Mesar needs to be with a stud at center...that's how you get the best from him.

So the question I will ask Mesar is... What you going to do about that? Work harder or complain you are not spoiled with opportunity?

I don't think Mesar is the type to let go, he's also surrounded by friends who made it to the NHL/AHL

He can look lost out there sometimes on and off the ice, i think we just need to see him vs AHLers

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I agree with you, this situation is not a disaster, posters should stop prematurely celebrating his failure, and the future is in Mesar 's hands.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

The OHL means very little when you are playing on a mess of a team. He hasn't played any pro games yet so there is no way to know to evaluate that yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Mesar is the type to let go, he's also surrounded by friends who made it to the NHL/AHL

He can look lost out there sometimes on and off the ice, i think we just need to see him vs AHLers

I personally have not lost all hope. I just have dropped him down to grade B status. From what I see, I think he would show more if he had a talented center with size to work with. Mesar does have great skill/skating and most prospects take time to adjust to the pro game. It's just reality

I hope you are right... Not the type to let go. Look a Norlinder's hype before turning pro and the rollercoaster ride he has went though. Maybe Mesar goes through the same. So yeah, let him develop like RHP and Ylonen did. Maybe he follows that path

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

There's an argument for having Mesar play in the AHL with decent minutes and simply letting him fail as a sort of wakeup call. If the issue is that Mesar isn't putting in the necessary work and is coasting on talent then going back to juniors where he can coast on talent and still do reasonably well probably doesn't change anything. Whereas getting beat shift after shift in the AHL would probably motivate him to change.

Obviously there's also the human aspect of managing a team of prospects which complicates things. We can't just focus on what's best for Mesar especially if what he needs comes at the expense of another good prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The OHL means very little when you are playing on a mess of a team. He hasn't played any pro games yet so there is no way to know to evaluate that yet.

Fair. But if he was a top notch grade A, you would have seen more in the OHL... even on a bad team. He appears to the a skilled winger with great skating but not on the physical side of things.

I'd have him labeled as a B or B+ today but it's not over yet. Way to early to write him off.

I agree with you, this situation is not a disaster, posters should stop prematurely celebrating his failure, and the future is in Mesar 's hands.

Some fans just want to be hero's all the time. Also expect all our futures to hit and show promise right away. Every young player has his own path and we have to remind ourselves that.

His development resume is meh to me but am I going to call him a bust this early? Hell no. Go look at Ylonen and RHP path. Even Norlinder

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There's an argument for having Mesar play in the AHL with decent minutes and simply letting him fail as a sort of wakeup call. If the issue is that Mesar isn't putting in the necessary work and is coasting on talent then going back to juniors where he can coast on talent and still do reasonably well probably doesn't change anything. Whereas getting beat shift after shift in the AHL would probably motivate him to change.

Obviously there's also the human aspect of managing a team of prospects which complicates things. We can't just focus on what's best for Mesar especially if what he needs comes at the expense of another good prospect.

I agree. I assume JF Houle has already looked at all the other prospects and is not prepared to prioritize Mesar specifically over many other good prospects.

Hence my two suggestions.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
This pick will hurt the Habs for a long time.

He isn’t good enough for the AHL and he thinks the OHL is beneath him despite his average season. Go back to Slovakia then!
What makes you think he isn't good enough for the AHL, because he's not playing the first game? Davidson had a great camp and isn't playing either. Legaré and Beaudin are both AHL veterans and they ain't playing either. We might see some rotation and most of the guys sitting might play the second game because there's clearly too many bodies, doesn't mean they ain't good enough.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I agree. I assume JF Houle has already looked at all the other prospects and is not prepared to prioritize Mesar specifically over many other good prospects.

Hence my two suggestions.
One option I hope they explore is trading/loaning Armia to an AHL team with no NHL affiliation. It opens up a spot for one of our young guys (Whether that's Mesar or someone else), and the other team gets someone who should help them win games which without an NHL affiliation is what they care about especially since we are still on the hook for paying him. It's win-win.

For Mesar and the other guys, right now I'm not too concerned, injuries and callups should allow for everyone to get a chance. If we are unexpectedly healthy then yeah we will have to find a place for him to get quality minutes but let's see where we are in 10-15 games.

Jul 6, 2016

So, it is forbidden to give my outlook about a prospect ? That's what every posters on this board are doing on a daily basis towards any of our prospects or players.

Reactions: MadMslm

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
One option I hope they explore is trading/loaning Armia to an AHL team with no NHL affiliation. It opens up a spot for one of our young guys (Whether that's Mesar or someone else), and the other team gets someone who should help them win games which without an NHL affiliation is what they care about especially since we are still on the hook for paying him. It's win-win.

For Mesar and the other guys, right now I'm not too concerned, injuries and callups should allow for everyone to get a chance. If we are unexpectedly healthy then yeah we will have to find a place for him to get quality minutes but let's see where we are in 10-15 games.
I believe there is only the Chicago Wolves.

Reactions: MXD

Jul 6, 2016
What makes you think he isn't good enough for the AHL, because he's not playing the first game? Davidson had a great camp and isn't playing either. Legaré and Beaudin are both AHL veterans and they ain't playing either. We might see some rotation and most of the guys sitting might play the second game because there's clearly too many bodies, doesn't mean they ain't good enough.
Two years at AHL level makes them vets ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad