Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
What did they had in mind when they selected Mesar ? What was their analysis of this player ?
He gets way too much heat over here, the tools are obvious, he is a superb skater who can stickhandle at high speed, he really can dish the puck and create alot of scoring chances. His problem has been mostly his lack of finishing around the net and adapting to N.A. game. Playing for a crappy team with low IQ players sure didnt help, apparently the room was rotten inside as well.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
He gets way too much heat over here, the tools are obvious, he is a superb skater who can stickhandle at high speed, he really can dish the puck and create alot of scoring chances. His problem has been mostly his lack of finishing around the net and adapting to N.A. game. Playing for a crappy team with low IQ players sure didnt help, apparently the room was rotten inside as well.
I have not been a fan of mesar at all but posts like yours and bombshell bring me back down to earth lol.

I'm starting to see mesar as a project, much like Slafkovsky. You're right his skills are undeniable. Needs to figure it out. Hopefully his potential translates to high end top 6.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I have not been a fan of mesar at all but posts like yours and bombshell bring me back down to earth lol.

I'm starting to see mesar as a project, much like Slafkovsky. You're right his skills are undeniable. Needs to figure it out. Hopefully his potential translates to high end top 6.

He had Mesar top 10 IIRC, or not far off.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Hughes always had said that for Mesar it was either going to be the AHL or OHL (1 year ago)
Its not about dictating though, the org promised him last year that he would only have to spend one year in the OHL. This is what they promised him.

So if today the organisation forces him to go back to the OHL they're at fault because they know what a shit show it was and how Mesar did not improve over there.

If you really want to develop your 1st pick you need to put him in a winning situation and as it looks like the OHL is not a winning situation for him.

The bad boy here is the org not the player. Don't get it twisted.
Did they really promised only a year? Everything change in hockey, they probably didn't expect him to have 50 pts season. Even if the numbers dont tell all the story, it has to be under the expectations from the hockeystaff. If he doesn't make the rockets, I'm pretty sure the message will be go for a big year in the O and comeback at the end of the year.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Did they really promised only a year? Everything change in hockey, they probably didn't expect him to have 50 pts season. Even if the numbers dont tell all the story, it has to be under the expectations from the hockeystaff. If he doesn't make the rockets, I'm pretty sure the message will be go for a big year in the O and comeback at the end of the year.

He regressed in Kitchener last year. It may not be good to send him there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well it was his first season in north america, it would have been worst in the AHL imo. It's not the same coaching staff, Mesar would be the older guy, I would give it a go.
If he's just not good enough for the AHL, there's also the ECHL.

Jul 6, 2016
Could be. But at some point he needs to get used to North American rinks and physical play.
He spent already a full season over here. He has adapted plenty. He has to work on other aspects of his game. And I doubt it will ever translate to the NHL.

Reactions: Habs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A European team is a better solution. Possibly in the Swiss league.

Europe is my last preference.

Last year, Montreal made the decision to keep him in North America in order to get used to the rink size and the more hectic schedule. I think it would be a step back to send him back to the bigger size rinks and playing like twice a week.

I'm only debating if I prefer OHL or ECHL if he does indeed get cut from Laval. ECHL means he can get called up to Laval at any moment. In the OHL, he's there for the year, but he can be easier to have a hands on development approach.

I'm not saying Europe is an absolute no from me, just that it's my last option.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Europe is my last preference.

Last year, Montreal made the decision to keep him in North America in order to get used to the rink size and the more hectic schedule. I think it would be a step back to send him back to the bigger size rinks and playing like twice a week.

I'm only debating if I prefer OHL or ECHL if he does indeed get cut from Laval. ECHL means he can get called up to Laval at any moment. In the OHL, he's there for the year, but he can be easier to have a hands on development approach.

I'm not saying Europe is an absolute no from me, just that it's my last option.
They could always start AHL and send him to the OHL later if he doesn't adapt or Houle isn't giving him ice time. Or use that time to force Kitchener to trade his rights to wherever management thinks Mesar would be best served.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They could always start AHL and send him to the OHL later if he doesn't adapt or Houle isn't giving him ice time. Or use that time to force Kitchener to trade his rights to wherever management thinks Mesar would be best served.

I am all in favor of keeping him in the AHL to start and see how things go. Not to play 1 game like last year before being sent to Junior. I'd like him to get an extended look in Laval before deciding what to do with him.

I mentioned this to @1909 in another thread, but I look at Norlinder as an example. Last year, Norlinder played the entire year in Laval (his first full year in NA). He improved as the year went on, but overall, he didn't meet expectations. To the point fans were starting to give up on him. A year later, he's challenging for a roster spot out of camp with the Habs.

Mesar being a 1st round pick doesn't mean he won't go through growing pains.

Reactions: Paddy17

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I am all in favor of keeping him in the AHL to start and see how things go. Not to play 1 game like last year before being sent to Junior. I'd like him to get an extended look in Laval before deciding what to do with him.

I mentioned this to @1909 in another thread, but I look at Norlinder as an example. Last year, Norlinder played the entire year in Laval (his first full year in NA). He improved as the year went on, but overall, he didn't meet expectations. To the point fans were starting to give up on him. A year later, he's challenging for a roster spot out of camp with the Habs.

Mesar being a 1st round pick doesn't mean he won't go through growing pains.

I think there is a perception that first round picks are sure fire nhlers. Mesar was a late first, but the success rate gets pretty dicey at that point. I decided to look up guys picked in the 25-30 range from a couple random years.

2015: this is headlined by beauvilier and roslovic.... It's not mind blowing.

2014: there is a home run here in pastarnak, and another good one in kempe.... The others are nothing to write home about.

In terms of impactful players, the success rate in this range is not is not even 50%, and the Star rate is 8%. Yes, it's a small sample size but the more data that is taken, I think you will find your ability to unearth a meaningful player in this range to be 50/50 at best.

I'm not saying this to write him off but Im just mentioning it to say that my expectations were in check at that range in the draft.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If a 19 year old first round pick isn't ready for the AHL, that should raise concerns.

True.

Though it's likely more a question of not being able to bump ahead of a pretty deep AHL squad, then not being good enough to play at AHL level.

I suspect Mesar is easily a top 12 forward for Laval, but he might not be top 6 in this roster (or not top 3 C) & gets sent elsewhere to ensure he's playing.

Many of the euro 2019 drafted kids will still be playing in Europe this year (including Bystedt, picked right after Mesar), it's looking like the team made a mistake pushing him to come to North America last year.

If he doesn't stick with Laval, I hope he gets loaned to a euro team (though that'll be a tough go for him as well since I doubt he goes back to Slovak league so he'll be dealing with the acclimatization challenges all over again, while also trying to fit in to a team well into their season).

My guess is that the team pushes him hard to go back to OHL. Hopefully he buys in and makes the most of it.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
If the argument was that he is good enough to hang in the AHL I would respect it, but the argument that he should play in the AHL because he'll throw a fit if he gets sent to the OHL is insane.
Except he is good enough. And has been.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Except he's not and never has been. He was good enough for the OHL last season. He hasn't demonstrated to be too good for that league. In fact, he was disappointing.
We don't know that. His OHL team was a disaster. He could play with far better players in the AHL and do well there.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
We don't know that. His OHL team was a disaster. He could play with far better players in the AHL and do well there.
We do know that. He was part of a team that was a disaster. He needs to dominate junior before even being considered for a professional league. He has proven nothing to date. The place for Mesar is the OHL or a similar junior league.

People need to quit making excuses for players. Mesar has a lot to prove.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad