Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
And lose his high end skills.

He's 5.9', hes never going to be a physical brute.

He needs to focus on making his skills work while bulking up and improving his shot

Never once did I say that he will be a physical brute.

A big problem of Mesar last season was that he would take shifts off. You wouldn’t notice him out there. With the way Kitchener is playing this year that more lazy playing style would not be allowed.

His skills are there but his effort isn’t always there. Make him more accountable.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Never once did I say that he will be a physical brute.

A big problem of Mesar last season was that he would take shifts off. You wouldn’t notice him out there. With the way Kitchener is playing this year that more lazy playing style would not be allowed.

His skills are there but his effort isn’t always there. Make him more accountable.
Did he receive any passes or was passing only one way? He might be sulking because he was sent to the OHL or he might have lost interest because he was being ignored.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Looks like he may not be physically ready, the reports are he's getting pushed around out there.
Are you telling me a 5'9 (5'10 including his hair) teenager who is 175 pounds is struggling to play against men? Unbelievable.

To the other guy, I will just say that this is professional hockey and not musical chairs. There are limited spots and we're not just going to cancel someone's contract to fit Mesar in.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Are you telling me a 5'9 (5'10 including his hair) teenager who is 175 pounds is struggling to play against men? Unbelievable.

To the other guy, I will just say that this is professional hockey and not musical chairs. There are limited spots and we're not just going to cancel someone's contract to fit Mesar in.
Totally unpredictable. And yet, one reasons used to not go after guys like Benson or Michkov was that we had enough small forwards like...Mesar....just unbeliable stupid scouting.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Totally unpredictable. And yet, one reasons used to not go after guys like Benson or Michkov was that we had enough small forwards like...Mesar....just unbeliable stupid scouting.
A little dishonest no? The habs weren’t using their 5th OA pick for Mesar. They used a much later pick. Had a Benson or Michkov type had been available at the spot of Mesar, I’m sure they would taken a chance.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Thats very much untrue and baseless. If you have proof or a game you would like to use as reference go ahead.

I would agree that he was not as good at the rookie camp this year and in the main camp he seemed a bit disengaged.

He's also not as smiley as before.

In the camp this year, yeah he did not display the same amount of effort as last year, for sure. But maybe Denis screwed him up good... who knows.

When i first started learning Manual, my friend confused the shit out of me about the process of changing gear. I understood the process better before he tried to explain me. My friend was a big manual driver so i was trying to apply what he was explaining... never realised he din't explained it well at all. So for a good 2-3 months i would drive the car horribly, it would shake, stall etc. Then i decided to follow my instinct and it got better afterwards.

All this to say...

Coach Denis last year got fired. Mesar did extremely well in the first few games he played there then when coach Denis started telling him nonsense Mesar became less effective.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Well someone better tell him, and tell him to get his head out of the clouds and concentrate on hockey.

Do you see him do anything else? He's trying to make the AHL team.

Man come on, don't hate for hating. Give the runner his chance. He's got Datsyuk hands ffs.
Do you not like being entertained?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??

are_you_not_entertained_meme_banner.jpg

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Do you see him do anything else? He's trying to make the AHL team.

Man come on, don't hate for hating. Give the runner his chance. He's got Datsyuk hands ffs.
Do you not like being entertained?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??

are_you_not_entertained_meme_banner.jpg
Oh I am definingly entertained, just not Mesar that is entertaining me. :laugh:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
A little dishonest no? The habs weren’t using their 5th OA pick for Mesar. They used a much later pick. Had a Benson or Michkov type had been available at the spot of Mesar, I’m sure they would taken a chance.
Yep there was. His name was Kulich. They somehow thought Slaf was worth of 1st overall mostly based on tournaments yet didn't think Kulich was worthy of a late 1st round pick based also on tournaments...

Again, point is this....if we were too small this year, we were too small last year. If so, we could have gone a little bigger than Mesar. Easily. Nobody will convince me that Mesar was much ahead than Kulich, Lambert, Bystedt, or whatever.

Reactions: Sagikev

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The early returns aren't good at all but let's give this guy a few years. At his size he'd be better off developing slowly in Sweden or Switzerland than getting wrecked in the A. He's not the calibre of player than can overcome it in any league like a Zach Benson.

A pick in the 20s is unlikely to result in an impactful NHLer (see Juulsen, Scherbak, McCarron, Poehling, Tinordi, Fischer... yikes). There's no guarantee Kulich is worth getting worked up over, even if his progress is far better. There's a pretty good chance to get a few NHLers out of our 2022 draft even if Mesar likely busts (Slafkovsky, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom, Davidson).

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
People speak about Mesar over Kulich and Lambert. Yeah it's not a good look. But don't forget that Habs have also picked Owen Beck with a #33 selection. Lane Hutson with the #62 selection and à very very good defenseman in Adam Engstrom in 3rd round, #92 selection. That's insane value.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yep there was. His name was Kulich. They somehow thought Slaf was worth of 1st overall mostly based on tournaments yet didn't think Kulich was worthy of a late 1st round pick based also on tournaments...

Again, point is this....if we were too small this year, we were too small last year. If so, we could have gone a little bigger than Mesar. Easily. Nobody will convince me that Mesar was much ahead than Kulich, Lambert, Bystedt, or whatever.
Honestly, I find you’re whining just to whine now. You’re arguments don’t make sense.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Thats very much untrue and baseless. If you have proof or a game you would like to use as reference go ahead.

I would agree that he was not as good at the rookie camp this year and in the main camp he seemed a bit disengaged.

He's also not as smiley as before.

In the camp this year, yeah he did not display the same amount of effort as last year, for sure. But maybe Denis screwed him up good... who knows.

When i first started learning Manual, my friend confused the shit out of me about the process of changing gear. I understood the process better before he tried to explain me. My friend was a big manual driver so i was trying to apply what he was explaining... never realised he din't explained it well at all. So for a good 2-3 months i would drive the car horribly, it would shake, stall etc. Then i decided to follow my instinct and it got better afterwards.

All this to say...

Coach Denis last year got fired. Mesar did extremely well in the first few games he played there then when coach Denis started telling him nonsense Mesar became less effective.

I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets.

There were many times where Mesar would take a shift or multiple shifts off last year. If he wasn’t creating offence he wasn’t making much of an impact.

Now I do blame Dennis and McKenzie. I thought him and Arcuri would have made a great pair. A passer and a shooter. Yet Arcuri is as attached to Pinelli the whole time. Pinelli could drive his own line.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
When you look at Price's career stats, they're pretty average and as a goalie he's got the most losses in habs history.
Yet no one wants to acknowledge it citing how it was not his fault, how with a better team he would have done alot better. Some are even suggesting he should have his number retired....

It baffles me how people are ok with these double standards.

For me personally i just want to see him play a few AHL games on the first line and PP before i can form a solid opinion. Then if he can't follow the game i would advise him to go somewhere else. He's a first round pick, he deserves a few benefits afterall.

"pretty average" the guy won everything he possibly could in the NHL except a Cup, won it all at the Olympics with an insane stat line. His NHL stats are right in line with the bests of modern times (Lundqvist, Vasilevskiy) on much much worse teams.

There's no double standards. Mesar is not doing anything noteworthy in the OHL of all leagues.

Now, if he has an amazing training camp and outplays others for a spot on the Laval squad, let's do it. Or even, if there's off-ice reasons why he doesn't want to go to Kitchener, let's accommodate.

But, I have a difficult time believing a player is "too good" for a certain league, yet doesn't demonstrate dominance on the scoresheet. Like come on. I don't recall McDavid, Crosby, Bedard, etc. struggling in their CHL leagues because other kids couldn't follow them. Heck, you could argue that the NHL is too slow for McDavid. What happens? He dominates the hell out of it.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Honestly, I find you’re whining just to whine now. You’re arguments don’t make sense.
Rich when you can't even say why it doesn't make sense. What didn't make sense? That Slaf was picked for his tournaments? How so? His regular season was just insane? Tell me he would have picked 1st if he would not have had great tournaments. You said if there was a Michkov, Benson...why can't Kulich not be compared to them? A really talented offensive forward that scores a lot? Kulich had insane tournaments too. What made Mesar a priority pick instead of him?

What arguments don't make sense?

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets.

There were many times where Mesar would take a shift or multiple shifts off last year. If he wasn’t creating offence he wasn’t making much of an impact.

Now I do blame Dennis and McKenzie. I thought him and Arcuri would have made a great pair. A passer and a shooter. Yet Arcuri is as attached to Pinelli the whole time. Pinelli could drive his own line.
It doesn't change the fact, and I've watched A LOT of his games too that not being that much on the scoresheet has to be equal to a total lack of effort. He was indeed non-existant in a lot of games. Even the ones when he had points.

Both Farrell and Mesar have a LONG way to go to make it. If ever.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
El Gazetta:

------
While Mesar is eligible to return to junior, that would be viewed as a demotion, arguably stunting his development.

“There are so many guys here (in Laval) that can play,” he said. “I think I’m going to be better than these guys. It doesn’t matter if the guy’s older. I have to prove I belong here. I want to prove I’m smarter than the others and play my game.”
------

So see, here's the issue with Kitchener and it was obvious from last year if you watched the games. He feels like the guys down there can't keep up with his IQ. He feels that the guys in the AHL are closer to his level and he believes he'll be better than them. He believes he's smarter and he'll figure out how to be better. He knows he needs to prove it but he can only do that in the AHL.

Now for those who say he should go back to Kitchener, here's your answer from Mesar's mouth: Oh Hell Nah!

This guy is demonstrating massive confidence in his abilities and that's the type of character you want from your captain, leader.

Y a de lagraine d'un champion!

How did Crosby score in the CHL if the players couldn't keep up with his IQ?

Reactions: 1909

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
If Mesar believes he's better than the AHL guys then who are we to tell him otherwise?
That's the step too far in your reasoning.

Honestly, that's THE problem here. See, WE are not the one's telling him that he's not better than other players in the AHL. (Yes a lot of commenters are saying it, but WE don't matter at all). The Habs brass are the one's saying it, starting last season.

They "said" it again this pro camp by sendind him back the to the Dogs camp. And i'll predict that by reading JF Houle's comments after the game and on what line he was playing (he liked Kidney and Davidson btw), they'll "say" it again this season.

So, the whole point is this: it actually is a problem that he believes he's better than the guys in the AHL. There's a pattern emerging here. Ahl camp failure last season, OHL very average season, NHL camp like a whimper this season... If he can't read the situation and lives in his la la land mindset, he is not a mature person and it's not looking good.

THAT is what is killing his career, not the lack of talent. He's not doing what succesfull people all over earth are doing (baring the exceptionals that are just ABOVE others); he's not learning from his failures. That's a terrible shame. It's what makes you better. You LEARN and GROW from correcting what led you to the failure in the first place.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Did a scout actually mention Mesar when saying we have enough small players???

I've heard fans mention Mesar, Farrell, and even Gallagher. But I didn't think a scout could be so naive. Then again Timmins went after all LD's and left the RD cupboard barren because we already had RD's Weber and Petry - geriatric Weber and Petry that is.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad