Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
El Gazetta:

------
While Mesar is eligible to return to junior, that would be viewed as a demotion, arguably stunting his development.

“There are so many guys here (in Laval) that can play,” he said. “I think I’m going to be better than these guys. It doesn’t matter if the guy’s older. I have to prove I belong here. I want to prove I’m smarter than the others and play my game.”
------

So see, here's the issue with Kitchener and it was obvious from last year if you watched the games. He feels like the guys down there can't keep up with his IQ. He feels that the guys in the AHL are closer to his level and he believes he'll be better than them. He believes he's smarter and he'll figure out how to be better. He knows he needs to prove it but he can only do that in the AHL.

Now for those who say he should go back to Kitchener, here's your answer from Mesar's mouth: Oh Hell Nah!

This guy is demonstrating massive confidence in his abilities and that's the type of character you want from your captain, leader.

Y a de lagraine d'un champion!
When you shit the bed like he did, just keep your head down and do better where you are sent.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
When you shit the bed like he did, just keep your head down and do better where you are sent.

Why did Kitchener fire their NEW coach mid way through the season?

Is Mesar not aloud to set higher standards for himself and have doubts that Kitchener is capable of mustering a competent development system within a few months?

Do you really want to send one of your three First round pick to an unknown, unproven environment?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’m just here to toot Kitchener’s horn.

They won again tonight 3-1 in Sarnia. They are now 3-0 on the year out scoring their opponents 15-4. They are a really young team and lack talent except for a few players.

They overhauled their entire coaching staff and it is night and day their gameplay with a much lesser roster this year compared to last year. This year they are so aggressive on the forecheck and it is causing havoc on the opposing defencemen. All players are going hustle, hustle, hustle. They are also playing a really aggressive game and are 14/16 on the penalty kill this year.

The way that Kitchener is playing with their hard work, hustle and aggressiveness plays right into Mesar’s weaknesses. He could come to Kitchener and become a much more complete player.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why did Kitchener fire their NEW coach mid way through the season?

Is Mesar not aloud to set higher standards for himself and have doubts that Kitchener is capable of mustering a competent development system within a few months?

Do you really want to send one of your three First round pick to an unknown, unproven environment?
If he can’t make the AHL, he likely is able to get significant ice in a legit pro league like the SHL so I don’t see any reason not to go to the OHL because that where he will get the most ice time against the best opposition. The OHL is the league that generates the most NHLer lot of guys played D+2 in the OHL and some were more dominant than Mesar. He should focus on improving and making the best of each of his opportunities regardless of where he plays. I hope he could be in the AHL but I don’t really see it right now.

Reactions: CHwest

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I’m just here to toot Kitchener’s horn.

They won again tonight 3-1 in Sarnia. They are now 3-0 on the year out scoring their opponents 15-4. They are a really young team and lack talent except for a few players.

They overhauled their entire coaching staff and it is night and day their gameplay with a much lesser roster this year compared to last year. This year they are so aggressive on the forecheck and it is causing havoc on the opposing defencemen. All players are going hustle, hustle, hustle. They are also playing a really aggressive game and are 14/16 on the penalty kill this year.

The way that Kitchener is playing with their hard work, hustle and aggressiveness plays right into Mesar’s weaknesses. He could come to Kitchener and become a much more complete player.

And lose his high end skills.

He's 5.9', hes never going to be a physical brute.

He needs to focus on making his skills work while bulking up and improving his shot

CHwest

May 24, 2011
And lose his high end skills.

He's 5.9', hes never going to be a physical brute.

He needs to focus on making his skills work while bulking up and improving his shot
How exactly is he going to lose his "high end skills" exactly? And why can he not make his skills work while bulking up and improving his shot in the OHL?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
“I think I’m going to be better than these guys. It doesn’t matter if the guy’s older. I have to prove I belong here. I want to prove I’m smarter than the others and play my game.”

Don't like that. Not at all.

Reactions: dinodebino

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
“I think I’m going to be better than these guys. It doesn’t matter if the guy’s older. I have to prove I belong here. I want to prove I’m smarter than the others and play my game.”

I'm with it.

At t
El Gazetta:

------
While Mesar is eligible to return to junior, that would be viewed as a demotion, arguably stunting his development.

“There are so many guys here (in Laval) that can play,” he said. “I think I’m going to be better than these guys. It doesn’t matter if the guy’s older. I have to prove I belong here. I want to prove I’m smarter than the others and play my game.”
------

So see, here's the issue with Kitchener and it was obvious from last year if you watched the games. He feels like the guys down there can't keep up with his IQ. He feels that the guys in the AHL are closer to his level and he believes he'll be better than them. He believes he's smarter and he'll figure out how to be better. He knows he needs to prove it but he can only do that in the AHL.

Now for those who say he should go back to Kitchener, here's your answer from Mesar's mouth: Oh Hell Nah!

This guy is demonstrating massive confidence in his abilities and that's the type of character you want from your captain, leader.

Honestly it bothers me that he doesn't seem willing to go back to the O. He hasn't proven anything yet to justify being picky especially with how deep Laval will be this year.

However if that's who he is then I'd give in and play him in Laval. I love the confidence at least so let him play and show us what he got. And I believe him too, I think he will raise his game with better competition in a more positive environment. Some people are like that

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

You don't like that he wants to prove he's smarter and better than the older players at the Rocket camp so he can stay there????

That's exactly the attitude coaches looks for: players who wants to be better and show they are better.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You don't like that he wants to prove he's smarter and better than the older players at the Rocket camp so he can stay there????

That's exactly the attitude coaches looks for: players who wants to be better and show they are better.

Yes. I don't like that he's thinking about other players at all. He should worry about himself, about being good at all in the first place. Because last year he wasn't. The only person he should think he's better than is whatever we were watching in Kitchener last year, because that guy ain't gonna make it.

Reactions: MadMslm

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yes. I don't like that he's thinking about other players at all. He should worry about himself, about being good at all in the first place. Because last year he wasn't. The only person he should think he's better than is whatever we were watching in Kitchener last year, because that guy ain't gonna make it.
One has to wonder, if he is in a hurry to get to the show, to be with his buddy Slaf? Is he thinking he is better than he really is?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
One has to wonder, if he is in a hurry to get to the show, to be with his buddy Slaf? Is he thinking he is better than he really is?

Puts up pre-draft 4th round pick numbers in the OHL in his post draft year and is thinking about the NHL????

He'd be better to think about what he needs to do to put up better numbers at the lower levels first.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
El Gazetta:

------

------

I like the confidence, but ultimately he was 6th in scoring on his own team in the OHL, even behind a defenseman. as a D+1 1st rounder thats pretty underwhelming.

Especially considering his small stature and that his upside lies into producing a lot of pts.

If his hockey iq was so good, he'd be able to dominate in the OHL with less talent. Crosby's wingers were not always the best IQ guys, but he made it work because he had the best hockey IQ in the game.

Now, there might be non hockey reasons why he doesnt want to go back to Kitchener, that he cant/doesnt want to mention publicly. Hopefully the team and him work together to find the best spot for him to grow.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
How exactly is he going to lose his "high end skills" exactly? And why can he not make his skills work while bulking up and improving his shot in the OHL?

I think its pretty obvious why, the skill level in the OHL is garbage compared to what he can do. he's going to go play with players that are 2 levels below him who wont be able to follow his speed or plays.

Mesar is a pro already, some people have a hard time adjusting to this reality. He needs to play with other pros.

He's better off continuing his development in europe rather than the OHL.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Puts up pre-draft 4th round pick numbers in the OHL in his post draft year and is thinking about the NHL????

He'd be better to think about what he needs to do to put up better numbers at the lower levels first.

When you look at Price's career stats, they're pretty average and as a goalie he's got the most losses in habs history.
Yet no one wants to acknowledge it citing how it was not his fault, how with a better team he would have done alot better. Some are even suggesting he should have his number retired....

It baffles me how people are ok with these double standards.

For me personally i just want to see him play a few AHL games on the first line and PP before i can form a solid opinion. Then if he can't follow the game i would advise him to go somewhere else. He's a first round pick, he deserves a few benefits afterall.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When you look at Price's career stats, they're pretty average and as a goalie he's got the most losses in habs history.
Yet no one wants to acknowledge it citing how it was not his fault, how with a better team he would have done alot better. Some are even suggesting he should have his number retired....

For me personally i just want to see him play a few AHL games on the first line and PP before i can form a solid opinion. Then if he can't follow the game i would advise him to go somewhere else. He's a first round pick, he deserves a few benefits afterall.
I'll go even further. I still want to see how he can progress until he has to pass through waivers. Let him develop his game. He has talent. But it's the NHL. Everyone does. Time to get to work on all aspects of his game, and we'll see what he can become over the next 3 years.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
I think its pretty obvious why, the skill level in the OHL is garbage compared to what he can do. he's going to go play with players that are 2 levels below him who wont be able to follow his speed or plays.

Mesar is a pro already, some people have a hard time adjusting to this reality. He needs to play with other pros.

He's better off continuing his development in europe rather than the OHL.
You would think if he was a skilled as you say and the league is garbage he would have dominated no?

Maybe he was just going easy on the plebs?
Idiotic Smile Emoticon

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I hope he sticks at the AHL level. I watched some of Kitchener last year, both live and on TV, and don't think the stats tell the story with Mesar.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I agree with you. I think it's worth seeing if he can hang in Laval before making the decision if he should go back to Junior or Europe (If he is indeed cut from Laval, I'd rather he be in Junior than going back to Europe). I wouldn't be totally against him going to play in a top pro league, but I feel like they brought him to North America last year to get used to North American size rinks and more hectic schedules. It would be a step back sending him back to bigger ice rinks and playing two times a week, in my opinion.

Laval has two preseason games (today and Saturday). Unfortunately the games won't be televised or streamed. So we won't be able to watch those and see how Mesar does.

I'll use Norlinder as an example as someone who spent his first full year in North America last year and wasn't meeting expectations. Even though you saw as the year progressed, he improved slowly. But overall, it was a let down year and fans were ready to give up on him. One year later, he's making a case to make the Habs out of camp.

Sometimes, you need to let the guys go through growing pains in order to come out better on the other side.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
You would think if he was a skilled as you say and the league is garbage he would have dominated no?

Maybe he was just going easy on the plebs?
Idiotic Smile Emoticon

If Mesar believes he's better than the AHL guys then who are we to tell him otherwise?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I hope he sticks at the AHL level. I watched some of Kitchener last year, both live and on TV, and don't think the stats tell the story with Mesar.
Do you think Mesar on the fourth line in the AHL is better than first in the OHL? Kitchener overhauled their staff and are doing well.

Andersson, Condotta, Stephens and Maillet will be top 9 locks as vets. Roy, Davidson, Farrel, Simoneau all out played him in camp and are older. Kidney likewise is older and more AHL ready. Bourque can go on the fourth line he's not that great but will probably get top 9 minutes. Mysak probably deserves to not be on the fourth line again.

Now that's already 11-12 guys competing for top 9 minutes and doesn't even include Heinemen and whoever else loses a roster spot in Montreal between Slaf/Pezz/Ylonen/RHP. There's already going to be a notable prospect ending up in the ECHL because of this logjam. Probably Kidney to be honest. Smilanic is probably starting there too.

Mesar is also world junior eligible and will be one of the oldest players in history there since the cutoff is Jan 1 and he's a Jan 3 birthday. Next year he can come to the AHL as we should be graduating at least a couple guys between this year and next training camp. Beck is the only other forward prospect coming in next year assuming Kapanen is playing his full four years in Europe. Tuch may end up with a Laval deal but I think he goes to Buffalo's farm. Pitlick won't be signed. I guess Xhekaj will technically be eligible but I think he'll play on the fourth line.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Do you think Mesar on the fourth line in the AHL is better than first in the OHL? Kitchener overhauled their staff and are doing well.

Andersson, Condotta, Stephens and Maillet will be top 9 locks as vets. Roy, Davidson, Farrel, Simoneau all out played him in camp and are older. Kidney likewise is older and more AHL ready. Bourque can go on the fourth line he's not that great but will probably get top 9 minutes. Mysak probably deserves to not be on the fourth line again.

Now that's already 11-12 guys competing for top 9 minutes and doesn't even include Heinemen and whoever else loses a roster spot in Montreal between Slaf/Pezz/Ylonen/RHP. There's already going to be a notable prospect ending up in the ECHL because of this logjam. Probably Kidney to be honest. Smilanic is probably starting there too.

Mesar is also world junior eligible and will be one of the oldest players in history there since the cutoff is Jan 1 and he's a Jan 3 birthday. Next year he can come to the AHL as we should be graduating at least a couple guys between this year and next training camp. Beck is the only other forward prospect coming in next year assuming Kapanen is playing his full four years in Europe. Tuch may end up with a Laval deal but I think he goes to Buffalo's farm. Pitlick won't be signed. I guess Xhekaj will technically be eligible but I think he'll play on the fourth line.
Well, I think if you go back and re-read my comment you'll see "I hope he sticks in Laval this year." Given the culture around the team is emphasizing players need to "steal a chair" then that would highly suggest he beat somebody else out for a chair, wouldn't it? In the end this is what I am hopeful for.

The second point about his OHL production is not really addressed to your comments (because you comment more about his performance in the NHL camp), but more to point out the argument "he should be denied a place with the Rocket this season because his production in the OHL last season was less than stellar" doesn't make sense to me because (a) I don't think points tell the whole story with Mesar and (b) he's got a new opportunity this year at Laval, detached from last years performance to show he belongs.

Also, the log jam only exists if everyone stays healthy and performing on both the NHL and AHL squads, which does not happen often. I also looked through Montreal and Lavals transaction history and it's not uncommon for them to trade or loan an AHL player away before the midpoint of the year, even players who were quite important/established with the club or league (Taormina comes to mind, Froese perhaps another, and certainly top-6 players have been called up like Belizile, etc.).

Finally, he could also play in the AHL and attend the World Juniors this year. His fellow countryman Nemec did that last year, as did Jiricek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad