Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
All I get from the Mesar and drafting discourse is:

It was stupid to draft skill over size re: Mesar v. Kulich
But it was stupid to factor in size re: Michkov/Benson.
Size? Kulich? Kulich doesn't have Mesar's talent? Is Kulich 6'4''? Pretty sure that if the point was size vs skills, I'd be talking about Bystedt...or Lamoureux...or Schaefer. How about aiming for both? Who thought while watching Kulich play at international talent that he didn't have skills?

Skills is one thing. Yes, I prefer being wrong choosing skills. But you should choose a hockey player. There's a reason why a guy like Rob Schremp or Ho-Sang while having top 5 skills were chose late 1st round...it's because their insane skills didnt make them surefire hockey players because of everything else that was lacking.

I guess you'll then respond that Mesar wasn't top 5 either....still when you have a chance to have that kind of a deep draft like 2022 will proove to be ( but I guess we will have to wait to see), you STILL had a chance to choose talent, a little bigger size and the same set of skills.

I just wish we never learn that they went Mesar because of his connection to our 1st overall pick....and that it was simply a miscalculation of other picks and\or Mesar's ability to adapt and play hockey.

Jeff Gorton said that he's looking for 4 things in a high end pick. Courage, character, hockey sense and skating. Mesar has skating. To me, there's still some proofs ot make for the other 3. He clearly hasn't proven yet that he can be something else than a perimeter player in a North America rink.

I'M not for sending him to Juniors, if he does...send him to London. Same with Beck. Kitchener will not be good for him.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
That's the step too far in your reasoning.

Honestly, that's THE problem here. See, WE are not the one's telling him that he's not better than other players in the AHL. (Yes a lot of commenters are saying it, but WE don't matter at all). The Habs brass are the one's saying it, starting last season.

They "said" it again this pro camp by sendind him back the to the Dogs camp. And i'll predict that by reading JF Houle's comments after the game and on what line he was playing (he liked Kidney and Davidson btw), they'll "say" it again this season.

So, the whole point is this: it actually is a problem that he believes he's better than the guys in the AHL. There's a pattern emerging here. Ahl camp failure last season, OHL very average season, NHL camp like a whimper this season... If he can't read the situation and lives in his la la land mindset, he is not a mature person and it's not looking good.

THAT is what is killing his career, not the lack of talent. He's not doing what succesfull people all over earth are doing (baring the exceptionals that are just ABOVE others); he's not learning from his failures. That's a terrible shame. It's what makes you better. You LEARN and GROW from correcting what led you to the failure in the first place.

Dude he's clearly not happy, if he thinks he needs to play with AHLers its his decision.

Habs either need to play him or trade him.

If he's got a good agent, he'll be succesful at finding him another team to play for if not he'll be stuck in a limbo and he might alienate the org as to never give him a chance at a "chaise"

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dude he's clearly not happy, if he thinks he needs to play with AHLers its his decision.

If he's got a good agent, he'll be succesful at finding him another team to play for if not he'll be stuck in a limbo and he might alienate the org as to never give him a chance at a "chaise"

What's wrong with going back to the OHL if he can't win a top 9 spot in Laval?

Jul 6, 2016
Did a scout actually mention Mesar when saying we have enough small players???

I've heard fans mention Mesar, Farrell, and even Gallagher. But I didn't think a scout could be so naive. Then again Timmins went after all LD's and left the RD cupboard barren because we already had RD's Weber and Petry - geriatric Weber and Petry that is.
Not really. He drafted Dietz, Lernout, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook and Mailloux, and a couple of others !!!

Suzuki had a great development year in his d+2 season in the OHL. He put his team on his back in the playoffs. If you want to become a star in the NHL, it's good to go through a year being a dominant star. It's good for development.
There is no problem with Suzuki's development. The guy has and always had the drive to do well. The problem was not having a senior 1st line centerman to shelter him a bit more and allow an even better development.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not really. He drafted Dietz, Lernout, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook and Mailloux, and a couple of others !!!
Edit: From 3 years straight (2018, 20219, 2020) Timmins drafted 11 dmen. 9 of them were LD's. He only started seriously drafting RD's in 2021, the year after we went to the finals and he had insider info that Weber was done. And he was too late. He shouldn't have ignored them based on current need previously.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
From 3 years straight (2018, 20219, 2020) Timmins drafted 11 dmen. All of them were LD's. He only started drafting RD's in 2021, the year after we went to the finals and he had insider info that Weber was done. And he was too late. He shouldn't have ignored them based on current need previously.
Kostenko and Sobolev are RD . Drafted same year as Mailloux. Of course, both are huge busts. There is less righties to draft from. And they put huge hopes on Juulsen (who was badly injured) who could had been our #4, and they gave NHL time to Fleury (too early) who could had been our #6 if properly (not burned) developed.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal

That's not his decision no....he doesn't run the pro club, he's a late first rounder with a subpar season following his draft. He's not the boss.

Reactions: Habsrule and CHwest

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You're comparing Apples to Androids really... I have been an iPhone user all my life and i'm very efficient with it. If you ask me to switch to Android overnight, i'll look like a weetadd.

Doesn't seem like a relevant analogy.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Doubling his production doesnt mean shit?

In Mesar's case not really.

Simple reason is because he was already getting 5-6 chances per game last year but no one was converting. Thats because Denis never built a system around Mesar to fascilitate the conversions.

If this year their new coach builds a system around Mesar he'll have the same number of chances but with more points.

Mesar is never going to be a goal scoring machine, thats not his type. He's a puck carrier and a playmaker and he already demonstrated that he's above the OHL in both departements.

But yeah i mean i dont want to sound like i'm his personal cheerleader, i was excited about his attributes last year but he hasn't improved alot and he's not as dominant on the ice. Its true that going back to Kitchener as an established leader and the no1 guy then maybe it's better for him.

I don't know i want to see him play vs men first

Reactions: TomKosto

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
In Mesar's case not really.

Simple reason is because he was already getting 5-6 chances per game last year but no one was converting. Thats because Denis never built a system around Mesar to fascilitate the conversions.

If this year their new coach builds a system around Mesar he'll have the same number of chances but with more points.

Mesar is never going to be a goal scoring machine, thats not his type. He's a puck carrier and a playmaker and he already demonstrated that he's above the OHL in both departements.

But yeah i mean i dont want to sound like i'm his personal cheerleader, i was excited about his attributes last year but he hasn't improved alot and he's not as dominant on the ice. Its true that going back to Kitchener as an established leader and the no1 guy then maybe it's better for him.

I don't know i want to see him play vs men first
I was really amaze by Mesar skills after his first Habs camp. I think going back to the OHL and doubling is production can only be good for his progression. I get it, his stats are maybe not representative of the player everynight, but it has to be better from someone that gifted offensivly. Nobody wants to see him bust. I just hoped he's not the type of guy who dictated the organisation where he wants to play. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure he won't last long in Mtl.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I was really amaze by Mesar skills after his first Habs camp. I think going back to the OHL and doubling is production can only be good for his progression. I get it, his stats are maybe not representative of the player everynight, but it has to be better from someone that gifted offensivly. Nobody wants to see him bust. I just hoped he's not the type of guy who dictated the organisation where he wants to play. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure he won't last long in Mtl.

Hughes always had said that for Mesar it was either going to be the AHL or OHL (1 year ago)
Its not about dictating though, the org promised him last year that he would only have to spend one year in the OHL. This is what they promised him.

So if today the organisation forces him to go back to the OHL they're at fault because they know what a shit show it was and how Mesar did not improve over there.

If you really want to develop your 1st pick you need to put him in a winning situation and as it looks like the OHL is not a winning situation for him.

The bad boy here is the org not the player. Don't get it twisted.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Hughes always had said that for Mesar it was either going to be the AHL or OHL (1 year ago)
Its not about dictating though, the org promised him last year that he would only have to spend one year in the OHL. This is what they promised him.

So if today the organisation forces him to go back to the OHL they're at fault because they know what a shit show it was and how Mesar did not improve over there.

If you really want to develop your 1st pick you need to put him in a winning situation and as it looks like the OHL is not a winning situation for him.

The bad boy here is the org not the player. Don't get it twisted.
Didn't Hughes also say something along the lines of he'd rather see Mesar get 80 in the OHL than 40 in the AHL?

And then Mesar followed that statement up with a 50 point OHL season

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Didn't Hughes also say something along the lines of he'd rather see Mesar get 80 in the OHL than 40 in the AHL?

And then Mesar followed that statement up with a 50 point OHL season

Did hughe say, i expect you to do 80 pts in a shit show under a coach who's going to get fired mid way through and the GM so desperate to win that he'll favour the players he knows over helping you develop...?

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Do you think Mesar on the fourth line in the AHL is better than first in the OHL?
Yes, because it's his job go earn more ice-time.

It's clear he doesn't want to be in the OHL. That was evident last year. Forcing him again is stupid. Let him develop in the AHL or send him to Europe to develop.

The OHL is just going to kill this 1st round pick. If you don't want him anymore, trade him for a 2nd or 3rd and move on.

But it's been clear since day 1 that he has zero interest playing in a league with teenagers.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Did hughe say, i expect you to do 80 pts in a shit show under a coach who's going to get fired mid way through and the GM so desperate to win that he'll favour the players he knows over helping you develop...?
Mesar should've been one of the guys relied upon to help the team win, if he wasn't it means he was not assertive enough and has a lot to learn still, no need to prematurely rush him to the AHL just so he can sign a lease with Slafkovsky.

Of course, but I'm also not gonna ignore that he may be better served another year in junior.
Respect. With the amount of similar potential forward prospects we have in the A I don't see a need in rushing him. Just lower the expectations and in a couple years he may turn up found money.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad