Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Lot of context needed. Kitchener was a dumpster fire.

But even then he was playing great in the playoffs and helped a big upset. He was looking very involved and doing lots of the little things right. People’s gripe was that he wasn’t producing high end points there but it’s clear he has the skill for that.

He needs to prove more. Absolutely but from what I’m seeing I think that last season wasn’t entirely his fault. He’s way too skilled and the effort is there. He started out like gangbusters in the OHL which is worth noting too. Something clearly happened there.

Expecting more from Mesar is 100% reasonable. Saying he was only picked because Slaf is moronic
This isn’t all accurate context though. He didn’t really start like gangbusters so much as had two productive games off the hop. And the gripe wasn’t so much points from those who watched him as being physically overmatched, a turnover machine and weak on the back check and boards. But as one who watched him all year, I also was not a Mesar “denier” as anyone who points out flaws tends to be labelled.

He is what he is - a very skilled prospect with a lot of work to do who needs time.
The problem isn't even so much the OHL, it's that for him OHL = Kitchener.

We can't get a good read from him on a shitty team with a shitty coach.

I want him in the AHL so the team can control who he plays with and what situations he's put in. I'd love to see what he can do with guys like Heineman, Farrell, Ylonen, etc.
Except Kitchener has a new coach with an excellent resume and early returns show a MUCH better development environment. So the Kitchener of last year is irrelevant to this decision.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The type of player where if he at the least build on his strengths and keeps his work ethic and desire high, will turn into a real good winger-top6 support player in his 20s

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
This isn’t all accurate context though. He didn’t really start like gangbusters so much as had two productive games off the hop. And the gripe wasn’t so much points from those who watched him as being physically overmatched, a turnover machine and weak on the back check and boards. But as one who watched him all year, I also was not a Mesar “denier” as anyone who points out flaws tends to be labelled.

That is quite ridiculous, any games i have seen from him, i do not remember him losing the puck often and specially enough to label him a turnover machine. That is just plain stupid to say something like that, or ignorant at best.

He was a machine at creating chances for his teammates though, by far the best in Kitchener with alot less TOI then the other top players... but you din't mention that did you? I call bullocks on your knowledge of Mesar, you clearly did not watch him.

And if he was so BAD why would you want him back? Ri-di-cu-lous.

He is what he is - a very skilled prospect with a lot of work to do who needs time.

He is 100% a prospect.

100% a very skilled one

He needs time but not with kitchener
Except Kitchener has a new coach with an excellent resume and early returns show a MUCH better development environment. So the Kitchener of last year is irrelevant to this decision.

I don't think Kitchener is ready to take on more projects, let them settle down, let the coach get confortable. Mesar is a playmaker not a power forward, he's only going to be as good as his teammates are.... Mesar's teammates couldn't hit a beach ball, we've seen it last year way too often

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Mesar is the type of player like Roy who’ll need multiple years of development to get close to his potential. He’s 19 and some players just take more time.

He has the skill set but his physical and mental development aren’t there yet. Luckily for him, Habs have a lot of prospects so there won’t be a magnifying glass on him as there has been for previous 1st rounders. I hope that buys him some grace while he matured and gains his confidence.

Jul 6, 2016
Mesar is the type of player like Roy who’ll need multiple years of development to get close to his potential. He’s 19 and some players just take more time.

He has the skill set but his physical and mental development aren’t there yet. Luckily for him, Habs have a lot of prospects so there won’t be a magnifying glass on him as there has been for previous 1st rounders. I hope that buys him some grace while he matured and gains his confidence.
Mesar, Kidney, Kapanen, Tuck, Mysak..... Could they draft better in the late 1st round and second round ? Hopefully Hutson and Beck gonna save the day. Struble, too.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
That is quite ridiculous, any games i have seen from him, i do not remember him losing the puck often and specially enough to label him a turnover machine. That is just plain stupid to say something like that, or ignorant at best.

He was a machine at creating chances for his teammates though, by far the best in Kitchener with alot less TOI then the other top players... but you din't mention that did you? I call bullocks on your knowledge of Mesar, you clearly did not watch him.

And if he was so BAD why would you want him
All due respect bombshell, we get it. You love Mesar and he can do no wrong. But I have had extreme patience with your opinions on him all year. And you say I didn’t watch him? He threw the puck away with careless passes more than any Ranger and it wasn’t even close.

You seem to think I hate Mesar. I want nothing more than for him to work out and I still think he likely will. My point is that I think it is best for the kid to play junior again in a 1C role. Not that he is bad. Try reading before throwing insults.

I watched the kid religiously last year and if you are trying to tell this board he didn’t have a turnover problem, I’m here to warn them not to lend any credibility to it.

back? Ri-di-cu-lous.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
All due respect bombshell, we get it. You love Mesar and he can do no wrong. But I have had extreme patience with your opinions on him all year. And you say I didn’t watch him? He threw the puck away with careless passes more than any Ranger and it wasn’t even close.

You seem to think I hate Mesar. I want nothing more than for him to work out and I still think he likely will. My point is that I think it is best for the kid to play junior again in a 1C role. Not that he is bad.
What there's not to love about Mesar? He's the only one in the lot who possesses skills, vision, IQ and speed at an elite level and he's only 19.

I do not think you hate Mesar, i think you don't appreciate him enough. From my understanding i believe you thought Pinelli was a better player than Mesar, am I wrong?

Pinelli's shtick worked well in the Juniors but he's going to struggle alot in the NHL if he ever makes it. If he does he's ceilling at best is to become a player like Pacioretty. Yet while in Kitchener last year the coaching staff favoured the simpler play style of Pinelli rather than the evolved form of hockey Mesar was playing and that hurted his developement, it was a wasted year last year and me personally if I was in the Habs org i would be extremely pissed by the way your management handled my rookie.

Mesar's ceilling is to become a very dominant Gomez with a longer shelf life spam. This is the reason why we drafted him, we don't expect him to develop him into a Todd Bertuzzi. We want him to adapt his game into the NA, develop his physic (which he doesn't need the OHL for that) and keep on getting better until he's ready for the big show.

Try reading before throwing insults.

To this day i have never insulted any one here, i always argue the comments and never the poster, i make that a rule for my self. If someone beats me it will be with better arguments and never because of my behaviour.

Today following my rule as a disciple, i did not break my rule. There was no insults thrown at you by me on this board today. I ask you from a gent to another gent to retract your statement.

I watched the kid religiously last year and if you are trying to tell this board he didn’t have a turnover problem, I’m here to warn them not to lend any credibility to it.

If you have a game in mind as reference, please do share, I should have access to the games, i will make it a point to watch it and obviously tell you how wrong you are because Mesar is not a turnover machine. Thats like the people calling Subban a turnover machine because he was turning the puck once or twice per week.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
What there's not to love about Mesar? He's the only one in the lot who possesses skills, vision, IQ and speed at an elite level and he's only 19.

I do not think you hate Mesar, i think you don't appreciate him enough. From my understanding i believe you thought Pinelli was a better player than Mesar, am I wrong?

Pinelli's shtick worked well in the Juniors but he's going to struggle alot in the NHL if he ever makes it. If he does he's ceilling at best is to become a player like Pacioretty. Yet while in Kitchener last year the coaching staff favoured the simpler play style of Pinelli rather than the evolved form of hockey Mesar was playing and that hurted his developement, it was a wasted year last year and me personally if I was in the Habs org i would be extremely pissed by the way your management handled my rookie.

Mesar's ceilling is to become a very dominant Gomez with a longer shelf life spam. This is the reason why we drafted him, we don't expect him to develop him into a Todd Bertuzzi. We want him to adapt his game into the NA, develop his physic (which he doesn't need the OHL for that) and keep on getting better until he's ready for the big show.
His basement is Martin Reway

Reactions: montreal

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

To this day i have never insulted any one here, i always argue the comments and never the poster, i make that a rule for my self. If someone beats me it will be with better arguments and never because of my behaviour.

Today following my rule as a disciple, i did not break my rule. There was no insults thrown at you by me on this board today. I ask you from a gent to another gent to retract your statement.

If you have a game in mind as reference, please do share, I should have access to the games, i will make it a point to watch it and obviously tell you how wrong you are because Mesar is not a turnover machine. Thats like the people calling Subban a turnover machine because he was turning the puck once or twice per week.
I appreciate the respectful reply. And I don’t ever want to get in pissing matches with fellow posters. So I’ll leave the disagreement here, but will just answer your questions:

- I don’t think Pinelli will necessarily be a better pro, but he was without a shred of a doubt the better player last year. That’s all I said and if you dispute that, I will leave it to others who watched Kitchener to settle that ;)

- as for the insults, in your post, you called my opinion “stupid,” “ignorant” and “ridiculous”

- I am most certainly not going to the effort of posting clips. If you don’t think Mesar had a turnover problem, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. But I contend that anyone who didn’t see it couldn’t have been counting

Cheers, all good. Never offence intended. You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m glad you love him.

Reactions: montreal

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
- as for the insults, in your post, you called my opinion “stupid,” “ignorant” and “ridiculous”

Yeah ill just leave it to this, comments/posts/arguments are aloud to be stupid, dumb, ridiculous etc even when its coming off a very intelligent person. I do think you're an intelligent person otherwise i wouldn't converse with you. I do believe you're miss guided and you're not taking everything into account.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

this just in - HF Member with Mesar in his profile pick, likes him a LOT

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah ill just leave it to this, comments/posts/arguments are aloud to be stupid, dumb, ridiculous etc even when its coming off a very intelligent person. I do think you're an intelligent person otherwise i wouldn't converse with you. I do believe you're miss guided and you're not taking everything into account.
Cheers.

I wish with him I was just not paying attention, but I was 20 feet away for the majority of those turnovers. As I said, as a die hard fan, I badly want him to succeed. And his skill set is something the Habs badly need. I have confidence that a 19 year old in a good development environment will sort it out. But I also strongly believe that acknowledging/recognizing the areas for growth is critical. It won’t do him any good if we overlook the flaws.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Mesar's ceilling is to become a very dominant Gomez with a longer shelf life spam. This is the reason why we drafted him, we don't expect him to develop him into a Todd Bertuzzi.
1695593408273.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
what about his game makes you think he's ready for the jump?

I just don't think he's consistent enough and figured out his role even at the jr. level last year. He doesn't drive the play, and sometimes looks like a perimeter player. I just don't see it. If Beck is doing another year in jr., I feel like that's his competition level, not a guy like Ylonen or Roy or RHP. I'm worried he'll play in the ahl next year, struggle, and in couple years when some guys pass him he'll be a plug-in player or end up back in europe. I think OHL makes sense.
I never liked this draft pick much but we have to live with it from now on. Am I the only one who found him better at the center than on the wing?

Jul 6, 2016
Mesar has some high level skills and a real knack for creating space with his mobility and stick handling. He's going to need more strength and maturity in his game before he can become effective in the NHL, but I've been pleased with what I've seen at this camp.
He is still Junior level for me. AHL is too much for him right now.

I never liked this draft pick much but we have to live with it from now on. Am I the only one who found him better at the center than on the wing?
He could be better at centre, but Habs seem to have better ones in front of him: Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Beck, Davidson.... even Kapanen.

Reactions: Nevins

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Kitchener's new coach is unlikely to please Mesarbots here, as he is Slafkovksy's former coach from Turku.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Kitchener's new coach is unlikely to please Mesarbots here, as he is Slafkovksy's former coach from Turku.
Mesar is not coming back to Kitchener. Most probably, he will play in Laval, but he would consider Europe before Kitchener. There is like 0,5% chance he comes back there.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Mesar is not coming back to Kitchener. Most probably, he will play in Laval, but he would consider Europe before Kitchener. There is like 0,5% chance he comes back there.
He's not good enough right now for the AHL. You really want him to struggle to get 25/30 points in Laval playing on the 3rd/4th line?

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Find him a pro team in Europe.

If Mesar is better at center then he should be developed as a center, and eventually someone get traded.
Mesar will never be as good as Suzuki Dach, Beck or Newhook at center....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Europe somewhere is a good choice. He is not good enough for Laval. Ideally he should be back in the OHL. He's a junior level player that needs time to develop in a league of his peers.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
He's not good enough right now for the AHL. You really want him to struggle to get 25/30 points in Laval playing on the 3rd/4th line?
It is not what I want, it is what he is saying in interviews and on social media. His mindset is focused on AHL and he indicates he really did not like OHL.
Motivation and happiness is also a key component to better performance and development. In this case, I truly believe that starting 3RW in Laval would be the best for him. Let him prove it.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I do think Mesar is one of those guys that plays better against better competition. Laval may be a good year for him. His camp got better after rookie tournament

Reactions: kudla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad