Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Could he realistically end up back in Kitchener?

Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Anderson, Newhook, Gallagher, Monahan, Slafkovsky, Dvorak, Armia, Pearson, Evans, Harvey-Pinard, Pezzetta, Ylonen

That is 15 NHL forwards there. Dvorak is injured to start the season. Laval has;

Farrell, Heineman, Simoneau, Kidney, Roy, Mysak, Legare, Maillet, Andersson, Condotta, Stephens

That is 11 forwards in Laval with the last five on that list as players who have spent a few seasons in the AHL. Mesar could very well play third or fourth line with minimal power play time.

I think Mesar should develop one more season in the OHL. Next year him and Beck can be Laval rookies together.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He looked good at camp last year too. PPG in the ohl in a D+1 season is awful by any metric. He's working from behind at this point.
Lot of context needed. Kitchener was a dumpster fire.

But even then he was playing great in the playoffs and helped a big upset. He was looking very involved and doing lots of the little things right. People’s gripe was that he wasn’t producing high end points there but it’s clear he has the skill for that.

He needs to prove more. Absolutely but from what I’m seeing I think that last season wasn’t entirely his fault. He’s way too skilled and the effort is there. He started out like gangbusters in the OHL which is worth noting too. Something clearly happened there.

Expecting more from Mesar is 100% reasonable. Saying he was only picked because Slaf is moronic

Reactions: windycity and Pomee

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lot of context needed. Kitchener was a dumpster fire.

But even then he was playing great in the playoffs and helped a big upset. He was looking very involved and doing lots of the little things right. People’s gripe was that he wasn’t producing high end points there but it’s clear he has the skill for that.

He needs to prove more. Absolutely but from what I’m seeing I think that last season wasn’t entirely his fault. He’s way too skilled and the effort is there. He started out like gangbusters in the OHL which is worth noting too. Something clearly happened there.

Expecting more from Mesar is 100% reasonable. Saying he was only picked because Slaf is moronic
I think being friends with Slaf caused them to look at him further since they played for the same world junior squad, but analysis was done independently. It's up to Mesar to prove he's still a top tier prospect. There's no excuses this year as Kitchener brought in a high level Finnish coach who was video coach for Finland's 2016 WJC gold medal and head coach for their 2019 gold medal as well as the coach who developed Slaf at TPS. His resume would get him into the NHL if he weren't European.

Even then a D+2 prospect should be expected to be closer to 80+ points (projected over a full season) to project as a top 6 winger. Obviously management likes him since they signed him directly to control where he would play.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think being friends with Slaf caused them to look at him further since they played for the same world junior squad, but analysis was done independently. It's up to Mesar to prove he's still a top tier prospect. There's no excuses this year as Kitchener brought in a high level Finnish coach who was video coach for Finland's 2016 WJC gold medal and head coach for their 2019 gold medal as well as the coach who developed Slaf at TPS. His resume would get him into the NHL if he weren't European.

Even then a D+2 prospect should be expected to be closer to 80+ points (projected over a full season) to project as a top 6 winger. Obviously management likes him since they signed him directly to control where he would play.

Isn't Mesar supposed to be playing in Laval this season?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Isn't Mesar supposed to be playing in Laval this season?
0.1% chance in my opinion unless management has said something during this camp. He'd be the 13th forward. He couldn't even handle the OHL, why would we move him up when he wouldn't crack the top 6?

Reactions: Nevins

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Pretty sure he plays in Laval which I was against but now I’m fine/excited with.

I’m sure it didn’t hurt the decision but people who can’t see Mesar’s tremendous upside don’t need to be taken seriously

0.1% chance in my opinion unless management has said something during this camp. He'd be the 13th forward. He couldn't even handle the OHL, why would we move him up when he wouldn't crack the top 6?
Pretty sure they said that awhile back. Could be wrong.

I’ve actually 180’d on that. I think Laval is actually the best place for him now. He could possibly be a Hab and not look that bad tbh. He was very very impressive

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Pretty sure he plays in Laval which I was against but now I’m fine/excited with.

I’m sure it didn’t hurt the decision but people who can’t see Mesar’s tremendous upside don’t need to be taken seriously

Pretty sure they said that awhile back. Could be wrong.

I’ve actually 180’d on that. I think Laval is actually the best place for him now. He could possibly be a Hab and not look that bad tbh. He was very very impressive
I haven't found anything that wasn't speculation suggesting Mesar isn't Kitchener-bound. Kitchener, as of now, still only has two imports signed, Mesar and Hamara. The speculation was because Kitchener took Pobezal in the import draft that Mesar was gone, but Pobezal stayed in Slovakia for this season. Likewise they drafted Aron Kiviharju who also didn't report and stayed in Finland.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I haven't found anything that wasn't speculation suggesting Mesar isn't Kitchener-bound. Kitchener, as of now, still only has two imports signed, Mesar and Hamara. The speculation was because Kitchener took Pobezal in the import draft that Mesar was gone, but Pobezal stayed in Slovakia for this season. Likewise they drafted Aron Kiviharju who also didn't report and stayed in Finland.
Interesting. I thought they had a public gentleman’s agreement. Don’t know if I want him back there even if they have cleaned house tbh. Have to wait and see I guess

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He should be in Kitchener. He hasn't done anything to prove he's ready for the pro game. He's a junior player that needs time to develop, including physically.

Reactions: Nevins and CHwest

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
The problem isn't even so much the OHL, it's that for him OHL = Kitchener.

We can't get a good read from him on a shitty team with a shitty coach.

I want him in the AHL so the team can control who he plays with and what situations he's put in. I'd love to see what he can do with guys like Heineman, Farrell, Ylonen, etc.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Funny because I see an AHL player and not an OHL player.

what about his game makes you think he's ready for the jump?

I just don't think he's consistent enough and figured out his role even at the jr. level last year. He doesn't drive the play, and sometimes looks like a perimeter player. I just don't see it. If Beck is doing another year in jr., I feel like that's his competition level, not a guy like Ylonen or Roy or RHP. I'm worried he'll play in the ahl next year, struggle, and in couple years when some guys pass him he'll be a plug-in player or end up back in europe. I think OHL makes sense.

Reactions: Nevins

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Filip Mesar looks like a kid that I would be interested in scouting after seeing him at the Hlinka or an early season game. Like ''wow that kid's pretty fast, and has a good set of hands.'' But he's never progressed beyond that initial pique of interest. When I first watched him, I said that he had an outside shot of being the best Slovak in that draft. Now, he reminds me of Tedenby.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p and kudla

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Filip Mesar looks like a kid that I would be interested in scouting after seeing him at the Hlinka or an early season game. Like ''wow that kid's pretty fast, and has a good set of hands.'' But he's never progressed beyond that initial pique of interest. When I first watched him, I said that he had an outside shot of being the best Slovak in that draft. Now, he reminds me of Tedenby.

It's just 1 year, I think you are going a bit too far with this argument.

I'm seeing Lekhonen around the same age, we weren't sure if he would climb that hill but he did.
Middle six winger was his upside at the start, still is.

They are trying to play him center to see if there might be a IQ play, maybe but the hill is higher for that.

Reactions: Licou

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
what about his game makes you think he's ready for the jump?

I just don't think he's consistent enough and figured out his role even at the jr. level last year. He doesn't drive the play, and sometimes looks like a perimeter player. I just don't see it. If Beck is doing another year in jr., I feel like that's his competition level, not a guy like Ylonen or Roy or RHP. I'm worried he'll play in the ahl next year, struggle, and in couple years when some guys pass him he'll be a plug-in player or end up back in europe. I think OHL makes sense.
Everything. I think he was ready last year. I didn't want him in the OHL. He wasn't going to make a huge impact in the AHL - probably 25-35 points, but he was going to keep developing.

Instead, he went to a new area, with younger kids and no real veteran development to keep him on track. He was punished for being one of the better players in camp.. in his mind (and mine). Mesar was better than Slafkovsky in camp and while obviously the body size played a big role it probably sucked for Mesar to not even make the AHL.

I'm more worried about his "heart" than this talent. He clearly didn't want to go to the OHL, that was well known. Did he sulk a lot of the year? Sure seems that way, especially after he lit up the league in first couple games. Not everyone can put on their 110% working boots when they feel disrespected.

Could also just be a classic case of a guy who plays to his opposition. I'm personally a classic case of that in every aspect of life. Work, sports, anything. So I understand it.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm quite sure he will end up in Laval and get a chance to play important minutes. I really can't see a world where he would be sent back to the OHL. I think it was a tough decesion even last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad