Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Depends, are you disappointed that in the 2007 draft the Habs picked Olivier Fortier and Yannick Weber ahead of Jamie Benn?

;-)

Anyway, for the 2022 draft to be a success, the Habs need Slafkovsky to succeed, anything else is gravy.
I understand that year was a particular....but man those standards are low. We need the No1 pick overall to succeed to call that draft a success? People keep talking to me about percentage based on where players are chosen...what is the percentage of a No1 player that actually does not succeed? Insanely low.

To me, I make the difference between picks and draft. If Slaf does well, it will indeed be a great pick. But if everybody else sucks...how can we say it was a succesful draft....I don't know.

And the same is true the other way around, as WTK said. If Mesar sucks....that pick would have suck. But if we have 4 players out of that draft that plays key role, no matter how Mesar sucks, that draft WILL be a success.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Mesar played a good game today. Let's hope he can build on that. There is no doubt he has offensive creativity... I hope he gets his swagger back this year.... even if it means Bombshell gloating...

Reactions: Pomee

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I couldn't believe how little succes he had in the OHL after seeing him showing that kind of speed, shifty direction changes, precise shot and just overall creativity in the camp last season.
He had 51 pts in 52 games on a shitshow of a team where the coach didn't seems to like him much going by some decisions (like sending an undrafted jambroni take his penalty shot early in the season).

Also, he wasn't the puck carrier on his line and Mesar always looks worst when he's not carrying the puck. Something he has to work on.

Reactions: Miller Time

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

yawn (v.)

c. 1300, yenen, yonen, from Old English ginian, gionian "open the mouth wide, yawn, gape," from Proto-Germanic *gin- (source also of Old English giwian, giowian, giwan "to request," Old Norse gina "to yawn," Dutch geeuwen, Old High German ginen"to be wide open," German gähnen "to yawn"), from PIE root *ghieh- "to yawn, gape, be wide open." Modern spelling is from 16c. Related: Yawned; yawning.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I couldn't believe how little succes he had in the OHL after seeing him showing that kind of speed, shifty direction changes, precise shot and just overall creativity in the camp last season.

If you knew what a clusterf--- Kitchener was last year you wouldn't be surprised. They had SO many issues almost the entire year.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Gomez in NJ was really good.

I see the comparison.

If Mesar can be the Gomez of NJ with MTL, that's going to be a huge W for sure.

Let's hope that he can develop well his skillset. I think sometimes he is underrated, sometimes he don't show all his talent, but his last game, he show all his offensive talent.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
One of the biggest issues I had with Mesar in his draft year was that, despite his oodles of talent, he was wildly inconsistent. He's have one amazing game and then two where he disappeared off the face of the Earth. It's why I really, really didn't want him, because players like that are infuriating.

Seems to be the case here.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think one of the funnier things is if we took Kulich and he struggled and passed on Mesar and he kept up his back half of the season with his start, wed have a never ending bitch fest on why the Habs passed on a high skilled forward with great skating for a pylon with a shot.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have Kitchener Rangers season tickets. I have watched him play live many times over the last year.

When he is on, he is on. He is easily the best player on the ice. Problem is he isn’t on every game. If you took his first five games as a Ranger, his World Juniors performance and some sporadic games here and there where he dominates, he looks like a sure fire NHL top six offensive player.
His problem is that he takes games off. Or will show up for a shift or two and make some plays that make your jaw drop and then you don’t realize he is playing after that.

He is great at zone entries and I love it when he skates the puck in the offensive zone and circles around the net. He is a phenomenal passer and has great vision.

As much as he needs to bulk up and add muscle, he really needs to work on his shot. He is a pass first player and it is frustrating to watch. He is easy to read for goalies because they know he is looking to pass.
Last year was a complete shit show in Kitchener. The GM went all in on a team that finished as an 8th seed in their conference. Now they did sweep the 1st seed. They hired a new coach for the year who had no prior coaching experience at any sort of a decent level of hockey. He didn’t come with any pro playing pedigree either. There was no systems in place and it was like watching five individuals play together with very little cohesion. After the trade deadline the coach got fired and the GM stepped behind the bench. He did a better job but he really isn’t a coach. Mesar did get put on the third line but it wasn’t because he was a third line talent. The second line was the shut down line and the coach wanted to spread the scoring out and bumped Mesar down to the third line. Problem was he was playing with lesser players and so many times did he set his line mates up and they couldn’t convert their scoring chances. Rangers had a forward in Arcuri who had 49 goals last year. He is an all out shooter. It is the only thing he is really good at. Mesar is a great passer and you would think that they would be a great combo but they never played together or if they did it was only on the power play. Just bad coaching decisions.
Kitchener this year has a totally revamped coaching staff. The new head coach comes from Finland and has an incredible coaching resume; coached Finland numerous times at the World Juniors, has coached many different levels including pro in Finland. He said that his goal is to coach in the NHL. He is only 42 years old. He said that it is an easier route to the NHL for him through the OHL than it is from Finland. Kitchener is just a stepping stone for him. Mesar would have much, much, much better guidance this year compared to last. Rangers are in full blown rebuild mode this year and in their exhibition games they have looked much more like a team than last year.

If it was last years coaching staff in Kitchener then Laval would be the best for. With this years coaching staff I think Kitchener will be his best fit. Now I am a Kitchener homer so take this last paragraph with a grain on salt.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Love the raw talent but if he doesn’t develop it’ll be a tough pill to swallow if he doesn’t make good on his promise.

But his skating, hands and passing are high end. Gotta bulk up, work on that shot and get more consistent.

I think one of the funnier things is if we took Kulich and he struggled and passed on Mesar and he kept up his back half of the season with his start, wed have a never ending bitch fest on why the Habs passed on a high skilled forward with great skating for a pylon with a shot.
How do you project Kulich?

Never seen him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Love the raw talent but if he doesn’t develop it’ll be a tough pill to swallow if he doesn’t make good on his promise.

But his skating, hands and passing are high end. Gotta bulk up, work on that shot and get more consistent.

How do you project Kulich?

Never seen him.

I liked Mesar and Kulich around the same, Mesar a slight preference.

Kulich looks like a good middle 6 forward, he's more of your complimentary player who you want hard in on the forecheck and shooting the puck.

He's kinda like James Neal before he got washed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I liked Mesar and Kulich around the same, Mesar a slight preference.

Kulich looks like a good middle 6 forward, he's more of your complimentary player who you want hard in on the forecheck and shooting the puck.

He's kinda like James Neal before he got washed.
That’s not bad at all. I’d have to see him with my own eyes but I’m okay with the Mesar pick. There’s impressive upside there. He needs lots of work though

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad