Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Ooofff, 1 goal in 20 shots for Filip, thats not good.
He definitely went on a bit of a slump after the Juniors.

Its gotta be a lack of motivation, poor training. He really needs to have a strong camp otherwise im afraid they'll send him to the OHL again and that might be the end for Mesar and the Habs.

I was not a fan of the pick initially but when i saw the skills in those videos, i understood why they picked him.. but these playoffs have raised some question marks for me. His shooting got worst over time... thats inexcusable.

Filip, wake the f up. No partying this off-season... only gym, gym and gym. You train at the gym, you sleep at the gym, you shower at the gym.

Smarten up

I hope this serves you as a lesson. Thinking in hyperboles will only lead you to deception. I know it might seem motivating but the plain truth will hold up over time and you can build on it too. Don't give up so early, even if he goes back to the OHL, so did Roy, so did Mailloux, so did Suzuki, and they're still top prospects, and Suzuki is our captain on a 8M contract, Mesar still has that upside.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Its gotta be a lack of motivation, poor training. He really needs to have a strong camp otherwise im afraid they'll send him to the OHL again and that might be the end for Mesar and the Habs.

I was not a fan of the pick initially but when i saw the skills in those videos, i understood why they picked him.. but these playoffs have raised some question marks for me. His shooting got worst over time... thats inexcusable.

Filip, wake the f up. No partying this off-season... only gym, gym and gym. You train at the gym, you sleep at the gym, you shower at the gym.

Smarten up

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Smarten up
Strange, watching highlight videos is usually an accurate form of scouting and a great foundation to launch hyperbolic declarations from.........who knew?

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Strange, watching highlight videos is usually an accurate form of scouting and a great foundation to launch hyperbolic declarations from.........who knew?
Well, my opinion of his skills has not changed, I still believe he's got unique skills that will translate into the NHL and he's got the posture of a hockey player the Organisation wants.

I just dont understand why his production has regressed so much. His s% went from 15% to now 5%.... thats alarming and London isn't the reason, he made most of his points againts london.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Personally I'm fine with sending him back to the O next season, Kitchener or not. There's still lots for him to learn, and I doubt he's ready for the AHL anyways if he can't play convincing hockey in junior.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The thing is that stats may be disappointing but I am not really sure what he is expected to learn in the OHL to be frank, I d put him in the AHL. Good young team growing together.

Offense. It was supposed to be an opportunity for him to grow his offensive game from a purely exploitative game to a more sustainable game. He didn't use the opportunity.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The thing is that stats may be disappointing but I am not really sure what he is expected to learn in the OHL to be frank, I d put him in the AHL. Good young team growing together.
Is this like the “the best place to develop future NHL players is in the NHL” argument?

He was meant to kick ass in the OHL. He didn’t. It’s not the end of the world — maybe he just didn’t have that in him.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Is this like the “the best place to develop future NHL players is in the NHL” argument?

He was meant to kick ass in the OHL. He didn’t. It’s not the end of the world — maybe he just didn’t have that in him.
Fully agreed he has put up less points than expected but look at Gaucher stats, not impressive either on a way better team. Aren t we expecting too much production out of those guys late in round 1 ?
I would never have sent him to the NHL, I thought he should have gone the AHL route with Slaf ;)

Offense. It was supposed to be an opportunity for him to grow his offensive game from a purely exploitative game to a more sustainable game. He didn't use the opportunity.
He scored at a PPG in a bad team ? It s not stellar but nothing to be ashamed of for a late first rounder in a new country no ?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Fully agreed he has put up less points than expected but look at Gaucher stats, not impressive either on a way better team. Aren t we expecting too much production out of those guys late in round 1 ?
I would never have sent him to the NHL, I thought he should have gone the AHL route with Slaf ;)
I don’t find a compelling reason to think he would’ve enjoyed a better season in the AHL, but yeah the club seemed to have over-promoted the big lug and over-demoted the little shrimp. I don’t understand the method to their madness, I don’t think there is a method really.

Reactions: Bombshell11

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I read over and over the same argument about what player X can still learn in lower level league. It's not about learning, it's about maturing and having a primary role on a team. Look at Jan Mysak this year, it would have been much better for him to go back in the OHL and be a first line player, first wave of PP, and playing also on the PK, than to be a fourth liner at best in Laval. These smaller players that are far from exceptionnal should all play junior at 20, look at RHP, Dubé, Simoneau or college guys like Evans and Farrell. So the idea of sending Mesar to Laval next year is ill advised. This player must go back to the OHL, maybe on a better team than Kitchener, but his place is not in the AHL, and forget about Kulich, It's pointless to do this comparison now. The player we have is not Kulich, it's Mesar.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
26th overall has been a 1st pick for ~30 years.

About 8 became core player or better

SmartSelect_20230421-131109_Brave.jpg

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

he dint use it or he was not put in a position to use it? did they confuse the shit out of him ? that could also be it, last game Mesar made 0 shots on goal, we're used of seing him do 3-5 shots a night, how many minutes did he play?... thats not typical off him. He had 4 faceoff opportunities with 50% success rate while the rangers "superstar" had 17 opportunities with 4 succesful, thats 23.5%... with 23.5% as a center you're not even making it in the ECHL.

Its sad that the OHL does not track Time on the ice, that could tell us alot about his production vs his peers. Maybe he's the best point producer on a per minute basis... we dont know that.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Hopefully he trains like a monster this summer and be ready for camp, it will be a shame to waste those hands and skills.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
We were obviously curious if Mesar would have joined Laval. But now that they're eliminated, curious if Mesar will go play at the World Championship.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

He scored at a PPG in a bad team ? It s not stellar but nothing to be ashamed of for a late first rounder in a new countr
Gaucher is 6ft 3. Odds are he could become a third line center in the NHL and gonna face best opponent. Mesar will need to have an offensive production in the NHL to survive. This is not rhe same kind of player.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
he dint use it or he was not put in a position to use it? did they confuse the shit out of him ? that could also be it, last game Mesar made 0 shots on goal, we're used of seing him do 3-5 shots a night, how many minutes did he play?... thats not typical off him. He had 4 faceoff opportunities with 50% success rate while the rangers "superstar" had 17 opportunities with 4 succesful, thats 23.5%... with 23.5% as a center you're not even making it in the ECHL.

Its sad that the OHL does not track Time on the ice, that could tell us alot about his production vs his peers. Maybe he's the best point producer on a per minute basis... we dont know that.
... On the other hand, if he didn't get big minutes on that team, that's probably an even bigger issue.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not a fan.

Mesar and his Rangers team are no-shows when the chips are down. Invisible.
Well Kitchener did pull off a huge upset over Windsor who went all out for the championship so I don't know how you can say "no-shows when the chips are down". They also did it in convincing fashion with a sweep. London was simply far too much for them.

It's too early to throw daggers at Mesar as a prospect. He had a so-so first season in North America but played great at the WJC as an 18 year old. He's a terrific skater (not all prospects have NHL speed) who has to develop some other parts of his game. Development is never linear. These kids are drafted for the long haul.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
The big mistake is that the Habs didn't trade out of the 26th pick. Scherbak and Juulsen are proof enough that they are cursed at that spot. Rookie mistake from Kent IMO.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well Kitchener did pull off a huge upset over Windsor who went all out for the championship so I don't know how you can say "no-shows when the chips are down". They also did it in convincing fashion with a sweep. London was simply far too much for them.

It's too early to throw daggers at Mesar as a prospect. He had a so-so first season in North America but played great at the WJC as an 18 year old. He's a terrific skater (not all prospects have NHL speed) who has to develop some other parts of his game. Development is never linear. These kids are drafted for the long haul.
Agree it's too soon to throw the towel. He's a late 1st rounder, so time to develop has to be expected.

I wanted Luneau so much with that pick or the early 2nd rounder instead of him or Beck, so I can understand people that wanted Kulich to be a bit disappointed as well with how Mesar first season went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad