Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Perron > Pacioretty.

Another prevalent HF-Habsism 1 year post draft.

Is there a past example of a prospect that produced so little in his d+1 year in the OHL and went in to have a top 6 NHL career? Pacioretty was only producing so much, but in the NCAA.

I'm not writing Mesar off, just wondering.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is there a past example of a prospect that produced so little in his d+1 year in the OHL and went in to have a top 6 NHL career? Pacioretty was only producing so much, but in the NCAA.

I'm not writing Mesar off, just wondering.

I'm sure there are but the examples are going to be limited since it's not super common for players to come from Europe to NA after their draft year, most come from the import prior to, and do their adjustment earlier.

Most of us had Kulich way before Mesar in their list and we where disappointed we didn't take him.

And Kulich D1 was really solid playing awesome in both the AHL and the WJC, so I think it's normal we will see comparaison

Yeah it's a normal comparison, but the wrist slitting doesn't need to happen every day and maybe some people can sit on it and wait for way more data on it.

It's entirely possible that Mesar's progression goes on a steep upward curve and Kulich is maximized and is just a really good AHL scorer.

There's so much runway left that it isn't worth lamenting at this point. Breathe.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sure there are but the examples are going to be limited since it's not super common for players to come from Europe to NA after their draft year, most come from the import prior to, and do their adjustment earlier.

If you ever come across one, please share.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Veilleux>Subban
Esposito>McDonaugh

The list is long….

It's long and I just find it funny a bit.

Poehling is mediocre everywhere and has a big WJC, people vote him over Suzuki as our best prospect.

Mesar has a really good pre-season, and starts off his OHL career with a bang, and has a really good WJC.. but then the fact that he didn't obliterate a PPG pace in his first OHL season, means he's a bust.

People will always look for one data point to be overwhelmingly negative on a player and ignore anything else that might be contrary to that negative view.

Now if his D+2 year is a similar struggle, then I'd get some of the concerns, but as of right now, we've had multiple data points of high skill level and being able to show that skill level against top tier competition.. and we have plenty of reasons to understand why the adaptation process might not be easy for him - he thought he should start in the AHL, he's away from Europe and his family for the first time and has a cultural adaptation to make, the Kitchener coaching situation was a disaster for awhile.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
This dude who talks about prospects on JiC, mentioned a couple months ago that Mesar and Beck were traded to the worst situations in the OHL, according to a scout. I'm guessing someone posted it in the thread. All types of in-fighting among other things are happenning on these teams, especially Kitchener during the regular season. That would explain the lack of production, so people need to chill and wait for next year.

Reactions: Et le But

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
It's long and I just find it funny a bit.

Poehling is mediocre everywhere and has a big WJC, people vote him over Suzuki as our best prospect.

Mesar has a really good pre-season, and starts off his OHL career with a bang, and has a really good WJC.. but then the fact that he didn't obliterate a PPG pace in his first OHL season, means he's a bust.

People will always look for one data point to be overwhelmingly negative on a player and ignore anything else that might be contrary to that negative view.

Now if his D+2 year is a similar struggle, then I'd get some of the concerns, but as of right now, we've had multiple data points of high skill level and being able to show that skill level against top tier competition.. and we have plenty of reasons to understand why the adaptation process might not be easy for him - he thought he should start in the AHL, he's away from Europe and his family for the first time and has a cultural adaptation to make, the Kitchener coaching situation was a disaster for awhile.
really?

edit:

1681689730451.png

1681689784537.png

Thank god I voted for Caufield

Last edited:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
This dude who talks about prospects on JiC, mentioned a couple months ago that Mesar and Beck were traded to the worst situations in the OHL, according to a scout. I'm guessing someone posted it in the thread. All types of in-fighting among other things are happenning on these teams, especially Kitchener during the regular season. That would explain the lack of production, so people need to chill and wait for next year.

I've mentioned the shit-show in Kitchener many times over the season. Problems everywhere.

That aside. I watched the Knights/Rangers game yesterday and Mesar looked dynamic on the PP. Great vision and offensive IQ. It could've easily been a 3pt night for him.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I've mentioned the shit-show in Kitchener many times over the season. Problems everywhere.

That aside. I watched the Knights/Rangers game yesterday and Mesar looked dynamic on the PP. Great vision and offensive IQ. It could've easily been a 3pt night for him.
On the one power play he set up 2 teammates who failed to convert and missed 2 good chances himself.

Reactions: junyab

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I haven't watched or followed Mesar at all, is he comparable to Jan Buils?

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Ooofff, 1 goal in 20 shots for Filip, thats not good.
He definitely went on a bit of a slump after the Juniors.

Its gotta be a lack of motivation, poor training. He really needs to have a strong camp otherwise im afraid they'll send him to the OHL again and that might be the end for Mesar and the Habs.

I was not a fan of the pick initially but when i saw the skills in those videos, i understood why they picked him.. but these playoffs have raised some question marks for me. His shooting got worst over time... thats inexcusable.

Filip, wake the f up. No partying this off-season... only gym, gym and gym. You train at the gym, you sleep at the gym, you shower at the gym.

Smarten up

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Its gotta be a lack of motivation, poor training. He really needs to have a strong camp otherwise im afraid they'll send him to the OHL again and that might be the end for Mesar and the Habs.

I was not a fan of the pick initially but when i saw the skills in those videos, i understood why they picked him.. but these playoffs have raised some question marks for me. His shooting got worst over time... thats inexcusable.

Filip, wake the f up. No partying this off-season... only gym, gym and gym. You train at the gym, you sleep at the gym, you shower at the gym.

Smarten up
That could be it.

But if you've ever worked in a bad work environment, then you know it could be the team. Your work productivity can take a plunge with no fault of your own, just environment and ambiance. Adn leadership (coach).

Look at Caufield under Ducharme...

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017

Smarten up
Damn, you know things are going bad for him when his biggest supporter and groupie starts bashing him… :sarcasm:

But anyways, I actually think he’d do better in AHL. If he puts in the work this offseason, I can see him doing well on the Rocket. So many times this year he’d set up beautiful plays that his teammates couldn’t convert.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Is it a physical adjustment to North America hockey, or a mental adjustment?

Going from being one of the top hockey players for your country as a 17 year old vs being middle of the pack amongst your 16-18 year old peers must be a rude wake up call for his ego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad