OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Final week Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's too bad Croatia will be gassed.
I wonder if Canada should actively encourage Immigration from those African footballing nations. It may give us a boost on the world stage...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
... Geez, what kind of Croat women have you met? Bulgarian ones?

That reminds me when I was on a train from Prague to Belgrade (I was on my way to Bulgaria's Black Sea coast), we drank beer and vodka with some Czechoslovakian soldiers (I guess they were Slovaks since they went off in Slovakia but this is before the split.) I fell asleep on a bench on the train and when I woke up hungover I stared into a couple hairy legs with big black hairs about 1-2 centimetres long and I thought it was a werewolf but it was a Serbian woman and her moustache was not too bad either.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Since we are all big football fans here... :sarcasm:

What changes woud you make to improve the game?

I know the idea is vastly impopular, bordering on heresy for hardcore fans... but I'd love to see football played with a shot clock (like they do in basketball). No more playing 'keep away' when a team has the lead or when both teams are happy with a tie or whatever other situation where the game's tempo seems to grind to a halt.

With the shot clock, if you don't do anything, the other team gets possession.

Subs on the fly would be interesting as well. Keep the game's flow as much as possible.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
It's too bad Croatia will be gassed.
I wonder if Canada should actively encourage Immigration from those African footballing nations. It may give us a boost on the world stage...

Actually, Québec is already, albeit indirectly, encouraging such a thing.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Theyre professional athletes and have a 4 day break. They'll be fine
I agree. They've played 3 games of 120 minutes in a row and people have said they'd be too tired after each of them. They'll be fine and I don't think it'll be an issue. Heck if it goes to extra time I expect them to win :laugh:

Reactions: ArtPeur and MXD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since we are all big football fans here... :sarcasm:

What changes woud you make to improve the game?

Here's one that has made its way to this year's WC ...

FIFA to reduce the amount of televised shots of young females at the World Cup games. FIFA’s diversity boss, Federico Addiechi, stated that FIFA has told its broadcast service to end such practices. Though the termination has not yet been part of a proactive campaign, Addiechi stated: “This is one of the activities that we definitely will have in the future—it’s a normal evolution.”

The practice of showcasing attractive women at sporting events has perpetuated the stereotype of the “hot female fan,” who is scantily clad, model-esque and simply there to exist as eye candy. The technique, which is meant to spike viewership whenever there is a lull in a sports game, was pioneered in the ‘70s by American television director, Andy Sidaris, who referred to his invention as the “honey shot.”

FIFA Cracks Down on ‘Hot Female Fan’ Shots During World Cup

This is incredibly shocking. You mean, there is actually a lull in soccer games? :sarcasm:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You mean we won't get anymore of this:

brazilfans1600x450-1405001228.jpg

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
This is my World Cup team

Subasic
Mario Fernandes - Varane - Vida- Laxalt
Mbappe- Kante- Modric- Hazard
Lukaku-Kane

Subs : Courtois, Mina, Lovren, De Bruyne, Perisic, Mandzukic, Griezmann

Honorable mentions to Umtiti, Akinfeev, Cherishev and Cavani

what is your team?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
This is my World Cup team

Subasic
Mario Fernandes - Varane - Vida- Laxalt
Mbappe- Kante- Modric- Hazard
Lukaku-Kane

Subs : Courtois, Mina, Lovren, De Bruyne, Perisic, Mandzukic, Griezmann

Honorable mentions to Umtiti, Akinfeev, Cherishev and Cavani

what is your team?

Very good team although I would have included Coutinho (who was the best Brazilian player) instead of Kane and maybe switch the goalies having Fernandez as a sub.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
One the best showings by England in memory, but they needed a creative midfielder and possession driver. They have no counterpart to Modric or Hazard. Belgium, meanwhile have both Hazard and De Bruyne. France really had to defend like lions to push out Belgium.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One the best showings by England in memory, but they needed a creative midfielder and possession driver. They have no counterpart to Modric or Hazard. Belgium, meanwhile have both Hazard and De Bruyne. France really had to defend like lions to push out Belgium.

At the end of the day, I don't think England did anything spectacular. They beat who they should have beat, and they lost to teams better than them.

I don't even know if they get past Columbia in the round of 16 if James was available.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Hazard was awarded one of the five Free kicks at the edge of the penalty box he was rightfully owed, Belgium would be hoisting the World Cup tomorrow.

Reactions: Michelangelo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad