OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Final week Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Don't think it's about their age. They don't have a talented enough midfield to dictate the play against good teams. No creativity and totally outclassed in second half and onward.
Yes , that is not chocking. That's my point. They are a team with limited talent that overachieved .
That's the opposite of choking

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
HOW WE GOT HERE

France:

W 2-1 Australia
W 1-0 Peru
D 0-0 Denmark

W 4-3 Argentina
W 2-0 Uruguay
W 1-0 Belgium

Croatia:

W 2-0 Nigeria
W 3-0 Argentina
W 2-1 Iceland

W 1-1 (3-2 PK) Denmark
W 2-2 (4-3 PK) Russia
W 2-1 AET England

France made minced meat of much better teams.

Having said that, they lost to a Ronaldo-less Portugal two years ago in a final. Anything can happen.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
France made minced meat of much better teams.

Having said that, they lost to a Ronaldo-less Portugal two years ago in a final. Anything can happen.
People said same thing in euros two years ago yet Portugal who barely got out of the round robin destroyed them. Football is played on pitch on the day, not with previous results .

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Do you think if there was a vote today that
Brexit would win?

No, the whole campaign was based on lies (£350m per week to the NHS, immigration would stop and our borders would be closed). Unfortunately our government is too far up its own arse (and out for themselves) to say just stop already it’s a bad idea. Most we can hope for is someone proposing a new vote but they’re all too scared to do that they would rather run the whole country into the ground and blame everyone else. All this just for blue bloody passports. As it we weren’t having a bad enough week they’ve got the Mango Musssolini visiting too.

At least England are out now, as my husband says it’s the hope that kills you. They did a lot better than anyone thought they would but then like the Habs the bar is set rather low

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Anyone Croats here? Anyone know why Croatian tend to have Italian first name?

Luka Modric
Mario Mandzukic
Matteo Kovacic
Dario Simic
Nico Kranjkar

Are the languages similar or something?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Luka Modric
Mario Mandzukic
Matteo Kovacic
Dario Simic
Nico Kranjkar

Croatia is the land across the Adriatic Sea

:dunno:

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

Luka Modric
Mario Mandzukic
Matteo Kovacic
Dario Simic
Nico Kranjkar

Not really, Croatian is a slavic language.
Google says -
"The ending –ić is a (male) diminutive suffix, which was traditionally combined with either the name or profession of the (usually male) parent to create what is known as a patronymic (or matronymic) surname."

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Luka Modric
Mario Mandzukic
Matteo Kovacic
Dario Simic
Nico Kranjkar

No the languages are not the same. As for the first name, well all I can say is they have good taste.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
People said same thing in euros two years ago yet Portugal who barely got out of the round robin destroyed them. Football is played on pitch on the day, not with previous results .

Destroyed them? You shitting me? France dominated the game and had the better chances. Couldn’t convert. All Portuguese fans I’ve spoken to agree.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Destroyed them? You ****ting me? France dominated the game and had the better chances. Couldn’t convert. All Portuguese fans I’ve spoken to agree.
A champion is crowned by the final score , not by a popularity fan and public opinion.

Do you remember Maradona time, Argentina final vs Germany . Do you remember who dominated or who won ?

Reactions: lo striver

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
The saddest part of all this is their NHL counterparts (if you consider Habs/Leafs) are on exactly the opposite ends of success. England was always like the leafs. Then I was impressed that they finally got this far. Then... the leafs are a billion times better.

Even if France sucked, they could not suck more than team Bergy.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Chocked again? Youngest side on the World Cup, understand the context before writing .
It is an accomplishment to get this far.
If Croatia had lost you could call it an accomplishment for them to get that far. When you're England it's like being Canada at the Olympic hockey tournament: you can't win it, you can only lose it. If England wins the World Cup it's "Thanks for doing your job". If they lose people lose their minds and someone needs to be fired. You get no credit for coming close when you're England, Brazil or Germany. Your fans do not have hopes and dreams; they only have expectations which you as a team must meet or be punished.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
If Croatia had lost you could call it an accomplishment for them to get that far. When you're England it's like being Canada at the Olympic hockey tournament: you can't win it, you can only lose it. If England wins the World Cup it's "Thanks for doing your job". If they lose people lose their minds and someone needs to be fired. You get no credit for coming close when you're England, Brazil or Germany. Your fans do not have hopes and dreams; they only have expectations which you as a team must meet or be punished.

Not this year. The English federation made it clear there was no expectation, and also made it clear no one will be fired whatever the performance was.
English football has been in shambles, but in a way, they are doing things the right way, building through young players, with limited expectation. The results so far have been tremendous.
England won the under 17 world cup and won the under 20 world cup. And this year, with a young team (still missing many needed talented players0, have gone farther then many previous more talented teams have.

They are building through the foundation with yound players, only problem is the world cup is every 4 years and not next October as in hockey.

I have been an english supporter since the late 70's and this is the first world cup i had zero expectation, many of my friends and colleagues in the uk thought the same.

The ride was enjoyable, but the key would be how the younger players develop. Luckily for them, they have a very good manager at the helm in southgate.... We on the other hand have a MB that sent us back 5 years in just 2 offseasons

Last edited:
Reactions: CalgarySnow

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
No, the whole campaign was based on lies (£350m per week to the NHS, immigration would stop and our borders would be closed). Unfortunately our government is too far up its own arse (and out for themselves) to say just stop already it’s a bad idea. Most we can hope for is someone proposing a new vote but they’re all too scared to do that they would rather run the whole country into the ground and blame everyone else. All this just for blue bloody passports. As it we weren’t having a bad enough week they’ve got the Mango Musssolini visiting too.

At least England are out now, as my husband says it’s the hope that kills you. They did a lot better than anyone thought they would but then like the Habs the bar is set rather low

Mango Mussolini! ROTFL. That's a keeper!

:thumbu:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Unfortiunately Englans is short on talent to compete with big teams this time, but they have many young guys with potential to compete for Euro Cup in 2 years.
This is exactly how I feel. This just wasn't their world cup to win. Euros will show a more experienced team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad