GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Canada has been god awful this tournament, I have no idea how they're still around.

Good for them mind you but this won't last. Playing like this against a real power will get you demolished

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm mostly ignorant when it comes to this sport, but Canada was ranked 8th and at worst they will finish 8th. Seems about right considering most people suspect they will be eliminated next round.

On another note I actually sat down and watched a bit of the game. First time in probably a decade that I have done so with the sport. Can see why people like it, and if ever they find a way to get rid of the diving and overacting with any injury I'd probably be able to stomach a lot more of it. Really too bad as I just had to turn it off after a string of girls rolling around wailing and then getting back up again. Totally ruins it for me personally, but its clear it's not enough of a detriment for most of the world's population to do much about.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
She certainly isn't playing like she is. She has been very underwhelming and looks slow out there. She has miss hit the ball numerous times. That "heel pass" was nothing more than a ball that she couldn't control.

I think Belanger has looked good all tournament and it was a solid choice to move her up. McLeod has also been world class. Great to see the ladies get through to the next round.

I guarantee every coaching staffs first concern when playing against Canada is stopping Sinclair.

China kept 4 back at all times for that very purpose.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm mostly ignorant when it comes to this sport, but Canada was ranked 8th and at worst they will finish 8th. Seems about right considering most people suspect they will be eliminated next round.

On another note I actually sat down and watched a bit of the game. First time in probably a decade that I have done so with the sport. Can see why people like it, and if ever they find a way to get rid of the diving and overacting with any injury I'd probably be able to stomach a lot more of it. Really too bad as I just had to turn it off after a string of girls rolling around wailing and then getting back up again. Totally ruins it for me personally, but its clear it's not enough of a detriment for most of the world's population to do much about.

It's not like hockey where each player only has to play 15 minutes in 3 hours, and for the other 2 hours and 45 minutes they can be treated on the bench by their training staff. They actually have to play through 90 minutes.

With all that focus you actually have no idea how serious an injury is, so if players go to ground, it's not surprising, seeing as the expectation is that they have to get up and play and not just limp to the bench, everybody cheers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I went and watched the Aussie/Sweden game here last week and thoroughly enjoyed watching them play.

meh. I would rather see a player like Marta, who I saw here in 2002 tournament than anything the aussies have. Plus that the Brazilians are a better team to begin with. Upsets typically result in a deterioration of the ongoing quality of the tournament. Again we haven't seen a topten team in the tournament yet at commonwealth save for Canada which currently doesn't look like one.

Getting excited to see Australia in either mens or womens play is like being excited to see Germany play hockey. Just a bit odd my friend. ;)

I'd rather see premium clubs play here. We're getting ripped in this tournament once again as the better teams, matches, are occurring elsewhere.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you watch the replay she doesn't control the ball and then proceeds to chase the ball before noticing that Belanger was there and lets up.

I'm seeing none of what you're seeing in the replays plus I've seen Sinclair flat foot a pass against the grain off a cross several times before. This is in her repertoire and an example of a premium player making a play few others would be able to make. Ask Belanger or anybody on Team Canada or Herdman if they think the play was inadvertent.

It was an outstanding talent making a brilliant play. The ball was fully controlled with Sinclair executing what she meant to do.

Watched the replay several times as I had the game recorded.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's not like hockey where each player only has to play 15 minutes in 3 hours, and for the other 2 hours and 45 minutes they can be treated on the bench by their training staff. They actually have to play through 90 minutes.

With all that focus you actually have no idea how serious an injury is, so if players go to ground, it's not surprising, seeing as the expectation is that they have to get up and play and not just limp to the bench, everybody cheers.

Yeah, I think it must be a big challenge to sift through it all and try and figure out how badly someone is hurt. That's why it's so toxic to have people faking it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just a question but what is the spray medical trainers use on players that they spray on injuries that has pain relieving qualities in the cases of on field injuries. Always wondered that. I've heard it called "magic spray".

I have arthritis, haha...

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Just a question but what is the spray medical trainers use on players that they spray on injuries that has pain relieving qualities in the cases of on field injuries. Always wondered that. I've heard it called "magic spray".

Spray on opiom lol get you some good stuff

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Its just cold. Feels great.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Nice fluff piece on Sinclair

http://soccer.tsn.ca/news/defence-christine-sinclair

I know I come across as a Sinclair hater, but she isn't doing enough to warrant her high praise as an elite player right now, thats not to say she isn't one of the best women's players ever, definitely top 5 or 10. But you have to adapt to how your team plays, and she has had some potential runs that teammates haven't seen. She has to be more mobile, and she can't create her own chances. I also will stick by my opinion that she didn't mean for that to be a pass, and if she did, then thats a play I see countless times in my league.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Spray on opiom lol get you some good stuff

heh, hehe, that and a paper bag would get me in a lot of trouble..even by my usual standards..;)

Feelin no paaaaaaiiiiiinnnn. Not that I'd be running around at all. more like floating gently

Its just cold. Feels great.

Thanks, reduces inflammation pain and swelling by cooling the spot then.

Can relate, nothing feels better than to stick my legs in glacier cool water in a stream or lake after a long hike. You don't feel anything for awhile after that. Mind you monitor a little bit when doing it so no leg turns blue or anything...:laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nice fluff piece on Sinclair

http://soccer.tsn.ca/news/defence-christine-sinclair

I know I come across as a Sinclair hater, but she isn't doing enough to warrant her high praise as an elite player right now, thats not to say she isn't one of the best women's players ever, definitely top 5 or 10. But you have to adapt to how your team plays, and she has had some potential runs that teammates haven't seen. She has to be more mobile, and she can't create her own chances. I also will stick by my opinion that she didn't mean for that to be a pass, and if she did, then thats a play I see countless times in my league.

Completely agree.

Sinclair doesn't create space like she needs to. Look at a player like Wamback or Marta. They create space and pressure defenders...Sinclair is not that type of player...she simply isnt that dynamic.
She is more of an opportunist.

Also agree on the phantom pass...her body language on that play speaks for itself. That was not an intentional pass.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
meh, I must be remembering a different instance. Handball calls are often innocuous, just a case of ball hitting you and not the same in anycase as blatantly dragging somebody down in the box. That was clearly a play that negated a goal. probably the most obvious non call in the entire tournament, and of course Canada was again the beneficiary.

The best scoring chances of the night was the Swiss player in the 14th minute WIDE OPEN with the perfect pass to her in the slot and she misfires instead of stopping the ball and slotting it home. She probably didn't realize coverage was broke down on the play and she had time.

next best chance was 2nd half and the swiss play turning around and blasting it into Mcleod. Just awful defending. We're tentative in the box anytime the play isn't involving Buchanan. Really teams will probably start noting this and realizing they can just take it weak side all day. Just deliver balls, any ball into the box and fight for it. Half the time its a deadly scoring chance. Better teams in the tournament will kill this D.

This team doesn't score more than 1 goal a game and other than Buchanan has piss poor defense. Although in fairness to Sesselman she's still suffering effects of ACL injury. The shrimp we have on the other side, Chapman, could be called for a penalty on half her messy plays. Buchanan, despite her good play has been quite clumsy as well. Canada was carded twice today and are easily veering into red card territory with clumsy challenges. The Sinclair tackle was ugly. Cleat prints all over that one and not close to being a valid play on ball.

Thing is we haven't seen a legit opponent yet. Easy side of the draw.

If you make yourself big in the box and get a hand on a ball, you deserve to get called. That's the rule.

The early Swiss opportunity was not a chance. She did not test the keeper, nor get it remotely close to goal. She blew it. It was a missed chance at best. She should have finished and it was a dangerous opportunity, but it was nothing more materialized there.

The second opportunity was a solid chance, but even with our sloppy defending we were very sound positionally, especially McLeod to make the save. There was one spot for that ball to go and we had it covered.

Sessleman is brutal. Chapman is physical and hasn't been called for anything unreasonable. She manhandles her opponents and gets away with it because of her quality. This is a contact sport and she does her job to perfection so far throughout this tournament in a very similar way to Buchanan. Chapman has kept up with the pace of the games extremely well and she is very decisive with the ball, unlike Sessleman.

The officiating was very consistent in this game and it was a physical game both ways. I don't think there was ever a fear for either team of a straight red card.

We got the easy side of the draw for sure but we put ourselves in this position by winning our group. There is nothing wrong with that. The parity in this tournament is really good. The only "legit" teams are USA, Germany and Japan by your qualification and we have done well against them in recent history for the most part. Of course we won't play a team of that quality until the end. England is ranked 6th and we handled them comfortably within the last year. Do they qualify as legit to you?

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Completely agree.

Sinclair doesn't create space like she needs to. Look at a player like Wamback or Marta. They create space and pressure defenders...Sinclair is not that type of player...she simply isnt that dynamic.
She is more of an opportunist.

Also agree on the phantom pass...her body language on that play speaks for itself. That was not an intentional pass.

She's kind of a female Klose if you ask me.. more dynamic I guess - but there are players that have more skill, more athleticism. Howver, I'm not sure that there is a player that has been more important to her team over the years.

Anyway I think Canada can beat Norway or England, but they are clearly outclassed by France, Germany, Japan, USA - they'd have to have a game of a lifetime like in the olympics to even beat those guys I think. But even Herdman himself said that anything after the quarterfinals is a bonus.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
She's kind of a female Klose if you ask me.. more dynamic I guess - but there are players that have more skill, more athleticism.

Interesting comparison. I am a little reluctant to make comparisons with a male player but I see where you are coming from here.

Howver, I'm not sure that there is a player that has been more important to her team over the years.

Completely agree.

Anyway I think Canada can beat Norway or England, but they are clearly outclassed by France, Germany, Japan, USA - they'd have to have a game of a lifetime like in the olympics to even beat those guys I think. But even Herdman himself said that anything after the quarterfinals is a bonus.

I agree with this as well. Making it to the semi final game would be about as good as it gets for this team. They are simply not championship caliber and likely wont be for a long long time. Sinclair is 32 years old and her play will be declining and there isnt another player that will fill her absence once she leaves.
So this semi final finish (assuming it happens) will be as good as anybody can realistically expect moving forward as well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If you make yourself big in the box and get a hand on a ball, you deserve to get called. That's the rule.
I still didn't see the play and didn't note where and when it happened. Seemed it only got casual mention in the broadcast and nobody thought it was a non call from what I heard. Your interpretation is much different than mine and frankly I hate most hands calls because the vast majority are an inadvertent arm with a player on the line on a free kick and the opponent bangs the ball purposely into the line hoping to get a cheap call. Which is exactly what happened to Canada in the Olympics when Rampone purposely slammed the ball right into a Canadian defender looking for the cheap call. I hate those calls when they occur.

The early Swiss opportunity was not a chance. She did not test the keeper, nor get it remotely close to goal. She blew it. It was a missed chance at best. She should have finished and it was a dangerous opportunity, but it was nothing more materialized there.
of course it was a chance and if the player isn't a complete idiot and simply controls the ball there she has the whole net to put it in. I've coached soccer and would lose my mind when a player blows an opportunity like that. Stop the ball first, dammit. These players aren't good enough to kick one timers and only kidding themselves when they try **** like that. Thing is the player was wide open in easy scoring range and the ball DID find her. Without the player completely flubbing it its a goal against.

The second opportunity was a solid chance, but even with our sloppy defending we were very sound positionally, especially McLeod to make the save. There was one spot for that ball to go and we had it covered.
Because Mcleod is the best in the game and no other reason. A swiss player was allowed all kinds of time in the box and to control ball and easily turn around and get a shot away. When you have a player one on one its a cardinal sin in soccer to allow them to get a shot off from gimme range. That was weak ass defending. Basically praying Mcleod is there. Otherwise its a goal.

Sessleman is brutal. Chapman is physical and hasn't been called for anything unreasonable. She manhandles her opponents and gets away with it because of her quality. This is a contact sport and she does her job to perfection so far throughout this tournament in a very similar way to Buchanan. Chapman has kept up with the pace of the games extremely well and she is very decisive with the ball, unlike Sessleman.
This would be the kind of comment from somebody that's never watched the team play before. Sesselman is large, physically dominating and has played much better than this for Canada. She is just back from a serious ACL injury and not playing like herself. She can at least box out opponents, get to headers, and win battles.

Chapman has already given up a penalty kick in this tournament and is an adventure out there that I swear will get another yellow or red card before the tournament is over. its because she's so small she has to physically battle. Which is a huge concern in the box because ANY time you make physical contact in the box, and she's doing this half a dozen times in a game, theres a risk of a penalty kick.

We got the easy side of the draw for sure but we put ourselves in this position by winning our group.
No, the draw put us in this position. Not getting to this point would have been considered a monumental failure. 16 of 24 clubs advance from first round, only the worst don't, and Canada had the easiest group stage in the tournament. To put it into perspective Canada has played all of group, one knockout, and still hasn't played a club in the top half of the draw. That's like a red carpet. That Canada was even gifted a questionable penalty kick in stoppage time to get the W that set us up in group stage just adds to how little this squad has done. We have 2 goals from play in 4 games. No team in the tournament has had worse offense.

There is nothing wrong with that. The parity in this tournament is really good.
No, actually it isn't. To this point Canada hasn't played a team that has advanced beyond group stage in the last decade. Next, no hosting team has EVER failed to advance in the history of this tournament. All Canada has done is barely hold serve. Not impressively either. They have looked tentative, uncertain, have lacked pace, lacked controlling tempo and have had long bouts of inconsistent play.

The only "legit" teams are USA, Germany and Japan by your qualification and we have done well against them in recent history for the most part. Of course we won't play a team of that quality until the end. England is ranked 6th and we handled them comfortably within the last year. Do they qualify as legit to you?
Any team in the top dozen is better than what we've faced. Even Switzerland, ranked 18th, gave us a real good scare.

When exactly have we ever done well against Germany, Brazil, US (only once in recent memory 3yrs ago)?

This team loses almost all the time against top clubs.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
She's kind of a female Klose if you ask me.. more dynamic I guess - but there are players that have more skill, more athleticism. Howver, I'm not sure that there is a player that has been more important to her team over the years.

Theres not a more athletic player than Sinclair in Womens soccer, not even close. She would be Klose, Shweinsteiger, Muller, rolled up into one. ;)

She's been dynamic in this tournament and beating more defenders than anybody in the tournament that hasn't played Ecuador..

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Theres not a more athletic player than Sinclair in Womens soccer, not even close. She would be Klose, Shweinsteiger, Muller, rolled up into one. ;)

She's been dynamic in this tournament and beating more defenders than anybody in the tournament that hasn't played Ecuador..

not-sure-if-being-serious-or-just-trolling-like-a-pro.jpg

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Sinclair is the best player in the womens game by a mile. Several American players including Hope Solo think she's the best in the world. Pundits including our coach Herdman feel that Sinclair would have more goals than any player in the history of Womens Soccer if she played on one of the top squads.

In terms of Women's Soccer she's the Wayne Gretzky, the gold standard all others strive to.

We're talking female players here of course. Nobody is making an actual comparison to male players who are infinitely superior soccer players in every way.

People were just making references to style of play. The Klose comparison didn't do it for me because Sinclair does a lot more than just hang around the box. Klose is more like a Brett Hull. Doesn't touch the ball a lot but when he does..

Sinclair controls the ball a lot, handles the ball a lot. She's much more than just a front running striker.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah, I think it must be a big challenge to sift through it all and try and figure out how badly someone is hurt. That's why it's so toxic to have people faking it.

? Refs dont make calls based on injuries. They make calls based on dangerous play.

And alot of times it the injured that made the dangerous play and who are penalized.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Sinclair is the best player in the womens game by a mile. Several American players including Hope Solo think she's the best in the world. Pundits including our coach Herdman feel that Sinclair would have more goals than any player in the history of Womens Soccer if she played on one of the top squads.

In terms of Women's Soccer she's the Wayne Gretzky, the gold standard all others strive to.

We're talking female players here of course. Nobody is making an actual comparison to male players who are infinitely superior soccer players in every way.

People were just making references to style of play. The Klose comparison didn't do it for me because Sinclair does a lot more than just hang around the box. Klose is more like a Brett Hull. Doesn't touch the ball a lot but when he does..

Sinclair controls the ball a lot, handles the ball a lot. She's much more than just a front running striker.

If she was the "gold standard" then why doesn't she have a Fifa Player of the year award? Did you know she has never been voted in the top 3 in any year?

Sinclair has been instrumental for the Canadian program, but to say she is the best player now or ever is ludacris. Star players bury their chances, Sinclair missed a prime strike in the first game by putting a weak attempt on net, she's been slow and easy to mark. She creates nothing for herself and needs to be sent in alone with space or else she is caught by faster players. Sinclair is historically scores either set pieces, loose balls on broken plays or clear breakaways.

In this tournament she has not been elite, she has been average and if people aren't willing to take off the maple leaf glasses and admit that then thats fine, but isn't being the player Canada needs.

Look I want Canada to do well, and Sinclair needs to be the one to step up in these next games or its going to be hard to advance. But if this is prime Sinclair then I'd hate to see a bad game from her.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If she was the "gold standard" then why doesn't she have a Fifa Player of the year award? Did you know she has never been voted in the top 3 in any year?

Sinclair has been instrumental for the Canadian program, but to say she is the best player now or ever is ludacris. Star players bury their chances, Sinclair missed a prime strike in the first game by putting a weak attempt on net, she's been slow and easy to mark. She creates nothing for herself and needs to be sent in alone with space or else she is caught by faster players. Sinclair is historically scores either set pieces, loose balls on broken plays or clear breakaways.

In this tournament she has not been elite, she has been average and if people aren't willing to take off the maple leaf glasses and admit that then thats fine, but isn't being the player Canada needs.

Look I want Canada to do well, and Sinclair needs to be the one to step up in these next games or its going to be hard to advance. But if this is prime Sinclair then I'd hate to see a bad game from her.

You're seriously going to come up with some bs award to back your stance? Do you even watch the womens game? I've been following it for 15yrs. Sinclair is the best I've ever seen. She's the best I've ever seen nearly any year she plays.

She had the greatest womens game of alltime in the Olympics semifinal valiantly scoring all 3 goals for Canada in an uphill battle against the USA and the officials. Nobody on either team would dispute its the greatest game by a womens player they'd ever seen.

Not making this up either. The best womens soccer goalie of all time, Hope Solo, has always favored Christine Sinclair as the best player in the world. I would think from her perspective shes' seen more and in a best position to judge who would be the best player. I certainly respect her opinion over yours.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/hope-solo-christine-sinclair-is-world-s-best-player-1.2633918

Christine Sinclair is 3rd in international goals scored all time. A mere 4 behind the illustrious Mia Hamm, widely considered the best player of alltime. Except Hamm played 50 more international cap games. Sinclairs goals per game blows Hamm right out of the water. Not to mention Hamm spent her entire career playing on one of the most dominant Womens national programs ever and had tons of support from great teams.

Your opinion that Sinclair is not among the best players in the world is completely laughable. Your last sentence makes me think you've never watched a tournament before.

As for your bs FIFA award Marta the player who has won the award the most has done so because she comes from a football crazy nation and so of course is much more publicized. Pay attention to players that win this footballer of the year award. They always come from womens soccer superpower nations Germany, Brazil, US. The vast majority. Sinclair gets less attention in that poll because she plays for Canada. For perspective Marta isn't even topten in alltime scoring. I think she might not even be top 15, she only has 90 international goals and has played a lot more internationals than Sinclair. So go figure.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
You're seriously going to come up with some bs award to back your stance? Do you even watch the womens game? I've been following it for 15yrs. Sinclair is the best I've ever seen. She's the best I've ever seen nearly any year she plays.

She had the greatest womens game of alltime in the Olympics semifinal valiantly scoring all 3 goals for Canada in an uphill battle against the USA and the officials. Nobody on either team would dispute its the greatest game by a womens player they'd ever seen.

Not making this up either. The best womens soccer goalie of all time, Hope Solo, has always favored Christine Sinclair as the best player in the world. I would think from her perspective shes' seen more and in a best position to judge who would be the best player. I certainly respect her opinion over yours.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/hope-solo-christine-sinclair-is-world-s-best-player-1.2633918

Christine Sinclair is 3rd in international goals scored all time. A mere 4 behind the illustrious Mia Hamm, widely considered the best player of alltime. Except Hamm played 50 more international cap games. Sinclairs goals per game blows Hamm right out of the water. Not to mention Hamm spent her entire career playing on one of the most dominant Womens national programs ever and had tons of support from great teams.

Your opinion that Sinclair is not among the best players in the world is completely laughable. Your last sentence makes me think you've never watched a tournament before.

As for your bs FIFA award Marta the player who has won the award the most has done so because she comes from a football crazy nation and so of course is much more publicized. Pay attention to players that win this footballer of the year award. They always come from womens soccer superpower nations Germany, Brazil, US. The vast majority. Sinclair gets less attention in that poll because she plays for Canada. For perspective Marta isn't even topten in alltime scoring. I think she might not even be top 15, she only has 90 international goals and has played a lot more internationals than Sinclair. So go figure.

Well agree to disagree then.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Sinclair is 32 years old and her play will be declining and there isnt another player that will fill her absence once she leaves.
So this semi final finish (assuming it happens) will be as good as anybody can realistically expect moving forward as well.

She doesn't play the same position, but hopefully Jessie Fleming can become the new face of the WNT. Haven't seen much of her but from what I've seen/heard she has a real good combination of technical skills, passing and shooting, and intelligence/vision basically nothing that Canada has ever produced before. Kara Lang and Craig Forest have said has much too.

It's to bad she's only 17 though and is a substitute player at this point. But she's top class for her age.

Don't know how good she can be but hopefully she can help the team sustain some success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad