GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
people that wanted to see great soccer should've gone in 2007. I was there. These Womens tournaments are more of an emotional journey.

Now all that said Sinclair would be the exception to me. Outstanding and unparalleled Womens player. Nobody ever in the Womens game has been better.
Don't disagree with you on the emotional aspects. It like following a sport during the Olympics.

Sinclair - tremendous player and a very nice woman, I might add. I'm sad it took to so long for those outside the soccer community to know her name well. She's one of the greatest athletes this country has ever produced. Canada will likely never see a player of her caliber again.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't disagree with you on the emotional aspects. It like following a sport during the Olympics.

Sinclair - tremendous player and a very nice woman, I might add. I'm sad it took to so long for those outside the soccer community to know her name well. She's one of the greatest athletes this country has ever produced. Canada will likely never see a player of her caliber again.

Heres whats a little sad to me. I've followed Sinclair all along and knew of her exploits even before the WU tournament here in 2002. Her and Karla Lang were setting a new standard in Canadian Women's play. I thought great, not only are these gifted players but its going to result in inspiring others to also be skilled players.

Yet here we are 15yrs later and aside from say Buchanan, Schultz (on a good day) not many of the current players seem to have risen to anywhere near the same skill.

At the risk of singling out, and only doing it to illustrate a point we have a young player like Leon. Took me around 10mins to realize this is a player that doesn't have mastery of one of the basic coordination skills requisite for any team sport where the game involves possession and passing. There she is dribbling up the pitch wide open and she's staring at the ball. Her head is down staring at the ball the whole time. Because evidently if she doesn't she'll lose the ball. The whole time Sinclair is wide open wanting the pass. But Leon doesn't see her, Leon doesn't see anything but the ball and the pitch as she runs straight into defenders.. The ability to coordinate control without looking directly at the object of play is the first skill you learn in any sport. Coaches used to yell at us if we looked down whether it be hockey, Soccer, whatever. Yet Leon doesn't exhibit mastery over something as simple as that.
Next Leon found on a rush with Sinclair. The two Defenders are of course closing on Sinclair. Sinclair is looking to cross the ball, Leon, oblivious, is running up pitch not even reading the situation or what she needs to do. What she needs to do is not blindly rush up field. She needs to actually slow up and allow the defenders to keep running and leave a path for Sinclair to get her the ball. If Leon just stops in the box she is wide open and easy to find with a path. As it is she's running so that the defenders are in the path of an anything but perfect lobbed cross. This betrays not even an understanding of how to work a wide open break.

Its hard to watch this soccer, becoming harder.

The sad thing is that minus Christine Sinclair I don't want to imagine what this level of play by Canada looks like. Because by any large in this case the career of a brilliant player, unlike Gretzky, hasn't really inspired many of her peers to actually work hard to be better. Theres such elemental lapses in skillbase that it seems as if players are content enough with just being good enough to be on the club.

Sorry for what is a negative view on what I'm seeing out there. These women have the stage, they have an audience of Millions, but with that comes responsibility to bring a level of talent that is at least somewhat riveting.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
yet another brutal, boring snoozefest of a game last night...Canada a crossbar away from losing to the mighty Kiwi's

and add the fact they're playing on turf and not grass, this Tourny has been an overhyped bust thus far...

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Pretty garbage team minus Sinclair and Buchanan
You can see that it is really challenging for the defense and midfield to get the ball up to the forwards. The passing is atrocious and it seems like we can only generate chances if the midfield chips the ball past the opposing defense and hoping our strikers can run past them and regain possession. Also, Schmidt is horrible at corner kicks. Is she really our best option at corners? Just a sad display last night considering people had to endure the thunderstorms and didn't even get to watch a goal against a mediocre New Zealand team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You can see that it is really challenging for the defense and midfield to get the ball up to the forwards. The passing is atrocious and it seems like we can only generate chances if the midfield chips the ball past the opposing defense and hoping our strikers can run past them and regain possession. Also, Schmidt is horrible at corner kicks. Is she really our best option at corners? Just a sad display last night considering people had to endure the thunderstorms and didn't even get to watch a goal against a mediocre New Zealand team.

I was wondering if I was the only one noticing this. lol that she was hyped as the upcoming Sinclair or that her play was approaching the level of Sinclair. A few of her corners have actually been short of the near post. Nothing good at all happens when you just give up a goal kick with your corner kick not even reaching the box. This is worse than declining a corner kick. Getting 1 out 3 corner kicks in the box area is so unacceptable for what is an easily practiced rote skill. She should be kicking 100 of those a week to get the accuracy intact and to keep sharp. But it looks like this isn't a practiced skillset. Really the play resembles the Canadian team not practicing or playing together. Their play resembles complete strangers.

Agreed that punching the ball long and hoping the strikers are track superstars seems the only strategy. Which is interesting as Herdman is here to rid this team of that sole hail mary pursuit.

Finally what is it with so many of the Canadians either overkicking or underkicking the ball in passing. Again the lack of anything even close to having a good touch on the ball suggests not well practices skillsets. How can you be a soccer player and not be able to pass the ball? I won't even get into comments about taking a pass.

Fundamentals.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

Schmidt was terrible last night. Normally it is one of her strengths.
My opinion is that the team does not seem to have gelled together. They aren't playing as a unit. their passes seem disjointed, and their strikes weak. Not impressed with anyone on the team this year really. Even Sinclair has been underwhelming at best.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Schmidt was terrible last night. Normally it is one of her strengths.
My opinion is that the team does not seem to have gelled together. They aren't playing as a unit. their passes seem disjointed, and their strikes weak. Not impressed with anyone on the team this year really. Even Sinclair has been underwhelming at best.

Sinclair has been fine, stupendous even at moments. 3 times in the China game she dribbled though multiple Chinese to create dangerous openings, but with nobody else responding and finding an open spot. Of course she brilliantly took the winning goal.

Last night a couple of her touches on goal were sublime and only pretty good saves kept them out.

On another occasion Sinclair is fiercely running down a ball that no other womens player in the world gets to. Not only did she make contact with the ball and prevent it from going out for a goal kick. She actually created a corner kick out of it deftly deflecting it off a defender after having run 50yds hard. That thought, coordination, resolve, and so consistently out of Sinclair is impressive. She's getting double to triple coverage every game and stil finding marks, still finding the ball, still getting dangerous opportunities. Sinclairs problem is she has no support on this squad.
On a good squad with good service and strikers worth playing with Sinclair probably has 3 goals already in this tournament. You can't do it all yourself. Although this has been Sinclairs apparent duty for the last dozen years on this squad. Would be nice if some of the other Canadian Womens other than Buchanan had the skillsets to even deserve playing on the same pitch.

Haven't been impressed with Schultz at all. She's made one good play in the tournament, several awful plays. She looks rattled tbh. The one good play she made was composed. That was the setup to Sinclair in first game that I'll admit Christine should have tapped in the back of the net. But most times Schultz looks harried even when she has time.

dubya

Sep 13, 2005
Edmonton
Sinclair has been fine, stupendous even at moments. 3 times in the China game she dribbled though multiple Chinese to create dangerous openings, but with nobody else responding and finding an open spot. Of course she brilliantly took the winning goal.

Last night a couple of her touches on goal were sublime and only pretty good saves kept them out.

On another occasion Sinclair is fiercely running down a ball that no other womens player in the world gets to. Not only did she make contact with the ball and prevent it from going out for a goal kick. She actually created a corner kick out of it deftly deflecting it off a defender after having run 50yds hard. That thought, coordination, resolve, and so consistently out of Sinclair is impressive. She's getting double to triple coverage every game and stil finding marks, still finding the ball, still getting dangerous opportunities. Sinclairs problem is she has no support on this squad.
On a good squad with good service and strikers worth playing with Sinclair probably has 3 goals already in this tournament. You can't do it all yourself. Although this has been Sinclairs apparent duty for the last dozen years on this squad. Would be nice if some of the other Canadian Womens other than Buchanan had the skillsets to even deserve playing on the same pitch.

Haven't been impressed with Schultz at all. She's made one good play in the tournament, several awful plays. She looks rattled tbh. The one good play she made was composed. That was the setup to Sinclair in first game that I'll admit Christine should have tapped in the back of the net. But most times Schultz looks harried even when she has time.

Have to agree, it looks like high school soccer out there. Very disappointing, I don't expect Champion's league level touch and playmaking, but the decision making is horrid. Very surprised. Clearly they've been coached to keep possession, but running into pressure in the middle of the field then turning and throwing a hand grenade at your nearest teammate is not a better play than swinging it wide or playing the ball into space.

Sinclair has been good, but needs to finish. Buchanan is already a beast, and will improve. Desiree Scott provides defensive energy, and Belanger is the only player willing to use the width. Mcleod has been fine. Other than that, extremely disappointing. Schmidt has been terrible.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Gonna agree with Replacement about the U20 in 2007. Many amazing talents played in that tourney like Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal, Juan Mata, Luis Suarez, Sergio Aguero and countless others, these are some of the top talents in the world today and I made sure to go to every game I could in Edmonton. The talent level and overall level of play in that tourney>>>>>>>this one. Not that it's a surprise really.

IMO they overhyped Canada. Wait until a threat like Germany or USA plays here or it's an elimination game. The level of play should hopefully be higher then.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Heres whats a little sad to me. I've followed Sinclair all along and knew of her exploits even before the WU tournament here in 2002. Her and Karla Lang were setting a new standard in Canadian Women's play. I thought great, not only are these gifted players but its going to result in inspiring others to also be skilled players.

Yet here we are 15yrs later and aside from say Buchanan, Schultz (on a good day) not many of the current players seem to have risen to anywhere near the same skill.

At the risk of singling out, and only doing it to illustrate a point we have a young player like Leon.

Agreed on your analysis of Leon and the Canadian team. It is disappointing seeing Sinclair open on plays out there and the team not seeing the options, or the ability to make the play. There are no other Canadian players that I would suggest rank as a quality world class players, or even look like that level in the future.

I will disagree with you on the point that Sinclair has been unable to inspire better performances from her teammates. I think for one, Tancredi has at times looked much better out there playing with Sinclair in years previous, for example at the London Olympics but Tancredi looks dreadful out there. Age has caught up to her unfortunately imo. I am not impressed with Leon either, and wish Herdman would try other options up there aside from Tancredi or Leon.

I think the defense is still shaky, the overall team speed to be slow. I'm missing Diana Matheson's work ethic and speed in the midfield.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Schmidt or Leon aren't nearly as big of a concern as having to start Filigno, who displays some of the most negative body language I've ever seen, and gives up on plays way too easily, resorting to pouting and head shaking.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its alot of pressure playing at home, the Brazilian mens team buckled under the pressure.

That said, things get deadly serious now. We will see if they show up or they don't.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I really hope they have simply been playing not at their best so far because they have looked flat out bad overall. On paper they should be able to beat the Swiss but they better get up early and keep pressure on through the whole game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I never commented on until the thread got resurrected but in the last game, leading 1-0, Canada gets caught with short numbers back with 3mins left and give up the goal and tie. I didn't even watch so I have no idea how close they came to completely folding in the last few minutes plus stoppage time but I imagine Netherlands continued to get chances to win a game they should never have been in.

How on Earth does any team at any level of play get caught outnumbered in back end at end of game while leading?

Its hard to put any trust in a team that gives up these kinds of chances. Can you imagine if that happened in knockout stage?

I don't want to.

Not sure if its coaching or just a bunch of dunderheads but this team plays really stupid a lot of the time. They basically giftwrap chances for the opposition in every game. The first motto of sports is don't beat yourself. Might be a good lesson to repeat a couple times in the dressingroom because this club is prone and primed to screw up.

Completely unrelated but Chicago Blackhawks talked about why they win in the clutch and described that the club instead of being fearful of losing and making mistakes focuses on what it takes to win and realize its goals. Positive, vs negative energy and thoughts and actions being critical to that.
When I watch this team Canada I'm thinking half a dozen of the players are walking in landmines...

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I never commented on until the thread got resurrected but in the last game, leading 1-0, Canada gets caught with short numbers back with 3mins left and give up the goal and tie. I didn't even watch so I have no idea how close they came to completely folding in the last few minutes plus stoppage time but I imagine Netherlands continued to get chances to win a game they should never have been in.

How on Earth does any team at any level of play get caught outnumbered in back end at end of game while leading?

Its hard to put any trust in a team that gives up these kinds of chances. Can you imagine if that happened in knockout stage?

I don't want to.

Not sure if its coaching or just a bunch of dunderheads but this team plays really stupid a lot of the time. They basically giftwrap chances for the opposition in every game. The first motto of sports is don't beat yourself. Might be a good lesson to repeat a couple times in the dressingroom because this club is prone and primed to screw up.

Completely unrelated but Chicago Blackhawks talked about why they win in the clutch and described that the club instead of being fearful of losing and making mistakes focuses on what it takes to win and realize its goals. Positive, vs negative energy and thoughts and actions being critical to that.
When I watch this team Canada I'm thinking half a dozen of the players are walking in landmines...

actually, the Dutch looked like they were content with the tie, because they held up and preserved what they had after they scored. The commentator mentioned that he felt that was odd, as they were successful when they pressed Canada.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
While Holland was pressing they also gave up great chances to Canada.

A tie was enough for Holland and Canada so you were not going to see alot trading chances, once it became tied.

I am unsure why people are unhappy with Canadas performance, they achieved everything they could in the first three games.

If they do the same in the knockout rounds, they will win the world cup.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

A tie was enough for Holland and Canada so you were not going to see alot trading chances, once it became tied.

I am unsure why people are unhappy with Canadas performance, they achieved everything they could in the first three games.

If the Canadians play the way they did in the group round they won't come close to a World Cup win, they will have to be better defensively and capitalize on their chances. They were a very sloppy team in the first 3

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

People seem to be under the impression that Canada had a medium level group. In fact it was arguably the easiest group to get out of. Its been decades since China was good in Womens soccer, the team was very young. Netherlands is still fairly unproven at the womens game and not a ranked team. NZ not a tough challenge either.
Switzerland, with its scoring punch will give this Canadian D fits and were much more impressive than Canada in the year coming into this tournament. Swiss are next to impossible to hold off the scoresheet, Canada hasn't seen anything like their capability in this tourney, and the Canadian D has looked suspect just handling the ball amongst themselves and with little opposition pressure.

Kind of figure Swiss Win 3-1 in the round of 16 and everybody is somehow shocked. At this stage nobody should be. Canada just hasn't been any good. Without an extremely fortunate gift stoppage time penalty kick Canada has 3 pts in this tournament and might not even have advanced in what was a poor group.

To this point they've showed nothing. Now its pretty much a given they will need 2 or more goals to beat the swiss. They look basically incapable of that.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I don't want to.

Canada wasn't pressing forward when the Dutch tied the game. I can't remember who the player was but she made a horrible play and gave the ball away on Canada's side of half. The play came out of nowhere and the rest of the players were caught flat footed and couldn't get back. The Dutch turned it around that fast. Just an awful play overall. To that point the Netherlands hadn't done enough to make me think they were going to tie the game.

You and others on here are right about the stupidity of some of the players though. That's exactly where that goal came from. IMO, it wasn't from a tactical error. Team should have been able to score more early in the game. They did have some good chances.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Canada wasn't pressing forward when the Dutch tied the game. I can't remember who the player was but she made a horrible play and gave the ball away on Canada's side of half. The play came out of nowhere and the rest of the players were caught flat footed and couldn't get back. The Dutch turned it around that fast. Just an awful play overall. To that point the Netherlands hadn't done enough to make me think they were going to tie the game.

You and others on here are right about the stupidity of some of the players though. That's exactly where that goal came from. IMO, it wasn't from a tactical error. Team should have been able to score more early in the game. They did have some good chances.

This is essentially what gives me the fear about this Team Canada. Against even very weak opposition that seldom look dangerous (and nobody did against Canada) they still find ways to self sabotage. Who here hasn't seen the Canadian version of keep away by now which entails playing with the ball until someone closes and strips you of it. Seems like this happens a dozen times a half with this squad.

The Swiss are going to be a real shock. Swiss will score in the first half and take it from there. That's my prediction. This team is not close to ready to being able to play any offensively capable team.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
If the Canadians play the way they did in the group round they won't come close to a World Cup win, they will have to be better defensively and capitalize on their chances. They were a very sloppy team in the first 3

Rest assured, they cant, because they have already played those games. There arnt time machines yet unless you are letting something out of the bag?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
People seem to be under the impression that Canada had a medium level group. In fact it was arguably the easiest group to get out of. Its been decades since China was good in Womens soccer, the team was very young. Netherlands is still fairly unproven at the womens game and not a ranked team. NZ not a tough challenge either.
Switzerland, with its scoring punch will give this Canadian D fits and were much more impressive than Canada in the year coming into this tournament. Swiss are next to impossible to hold off the scoresheet, Canada hasn't seen anything like their capability in this tourney, and the Canadian D has looked suspect just handling the ball amongst themselves and with little opposition pressure.

Kind of figure Swiss Win 3-1 in the round of 16 and everybody is somehow shocked. At this stage nobody should be. Canada just hasn't been any good. Without an extremely fortunate gift stoppage time penalty kick Canada has 3 pts in this tournament and might not even have advanced in what was a poor group.

To this point they've showed nothing. Now its pretty much a given they will need 2 or more goals to beat the swiss. They look basically incapable of that.

What strategies will the coaches come up with? That's why they play the games.

If Cnada tyed the first game, would they have come out the same way in games 2 and 3?

Then take China, their coach brought them onto the field and played a defensive alignment against Canada. Then he changed to an offensive alignment in other games. Does he have a different opinion now if he were to play Canada again?

I dont know.

But it is these nested 11 man strategies that make soccer the most complex of games and make it that older players can be the best players on the field...

And its not just the coaches.. players will be saving their legs and their fitness for knockout games. Where players on teams like NZ know they have to go from the getgo....

So, have we seen the most out of, say Sinclair? I dont know. Seems to me she was trying to play in her team and was not taking the chances she might have if the game was do or die. Can she turn it on now?

Well have to wait and see.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Looks like a really small crowd at Commonwealth for the China-Cameroon game. Kinda surprising to me. Anyone know how expensive the tickets were?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad