GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
TBH I went to the games and I found the whole experience from the "opening ceremonies" to the Canada game itself to be lacklustre. Not to mention the idiotic setup of the beer stands on the concourse making people line up across the flow of traffic. Don't think I would spend anymore money to go to more games.

Lackluster is certainly how it appeared on TV. The complete lack of energy in the stadium was palpable which is perplexing considering the size of the crowd. Soccer crowds are usually quite energetic and boisterous...not on this day.

Sounds like in some respects it was poorly organized as well.
Glad I didn't waste my time and money attending.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Canada was hugely tentative and their system didnt do them any favours.

That said, the system was to make sure they got a result, and thats what they got.

That is real pressure kicking a penalty in stoppage tie to win the game. But Sinclair, "sinclaired it", wow, just wow.

It was a well taken penalty kick, she went strength against strength and she was the better. A good sign for Canada.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Lackluster is certainly how it appeared on TV. The complete lack of energy in the stadium was palpable which is perplexing considering the size of the crowd. Soccer crowds are usually quite energetic and boisterous...not on this day.

It's because Canada has no soccer culture yet. We need songs and stuff to keep the downtime going. Teams overseas have specific songs for specific times of the game. TFC used to have the Dickau song at the 24th minute to mark the first goal in team history, but I don't know why they stopped. It keeps the crowd into slower games.

Oh and as for Replacements earlier comment about FIFA wanting to help Canada, that was a foul plain and simple, and you have to call it no matter what time of the game it is. If FIFA wanted to help Canada out, they would have put them in a much easier group than what they are in. Look at Germanys group....I wouldn't be surprised if Germany doesn't let up a goal, and scores 20 goals in the group stage.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's because Canada has no soccer culture yet. We need songs and stuff to keep the downtime going. Teams overseas have specific songs for specific times of the game. TFC used to have the Dickau song at the 24th minute to mark the first goal in team history, but I don't know why they stopped. It keeps the crowd into slower games.

Oh and as for Replacements earlier comment about FIFA wanting to help Canada, that was a foul plain and simple, and you have to call it no matter what time of the game it is. If FIFA wanted to help Canada out, they would have put them in a much easier group than what they are in. Look at Germanys group....I wouldn't be surprised if Germany doesn't let up a goal, and scores 20 goals in the group stage.

The atmosphere at Commonwealth was fantastic. Huge roars from the crowd anytime anything happened. To see a sea of Canadian Flags waving and making noise and cheering on Team Canada was something else. It was magic being there and looking at the sea. I haven't watched on TV yet to see how it translated but it was wonderful. For a Women's WC this is about as passionate a fanbase as anywhere on the planet. People have to remember as well that it was HOT yesterday and blazing mid day sun and sitting on Concrete bleachers is akin to sitting on a roof for hours. People were literally baked just after the one game. We stayed for both.

As for an earlier post about lip syncing, yeah, these things always are. Still, Sarah doesn't have to come out and doesn't to was on about how Great a host Edmonton has been and always is for the Women's soccer team. That part is real and this home crowd is pretty much as good as it ever gets for Womens soccer in attendance, passion, etc. Sinclair, Mcleod etal don't forget the magic the first go round here in 2002 when they were WU19.

Anyway when Sinclair scored a brilliantly taken Penalty the roar was incredible. Seldom heard anything like it aside from say an AC/DC concert. Crowd only gets so loud in an outdoor stadium as the sound travels, it doesn't reverberate.

The crowd was great, once they arrived..

ps this is an easy group. Canada is supposed to advance easily in this group. Its been a decade since China was good and Netherlands is not at all the power that the mens side is. Canada are clear favorites over Netherlands and the whole group going into the tournament.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have a hard time seeing anybody seriously challenging the Germans though.

They're basically what Canada is in hockey (both sexes).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Valid points.

I dont buy the 'FIFA wanted to help Canada out' perspective. It was a foul...not sure how that point could be argued.

As for the Germans...there are too many teams in this tournament. Some teams simply arent good enough to be there. Reminds me of curling in the Olympics....4-5 really good teams and a lot of non factors after that. Lessons the quality of the tournament IMO.

Glad to see the commentators call out the German coach for her tacky high fives after every goal against pitiful Ivory Coast. Showing a little class might have been a better approach.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Then you missed out truly. You have no idea what you missed.

I haven't seen the TV broadcast, but if you said there was a lack of energy, then TV didn't do the crowd justice. There was a Chinese contingent that drummed and chanted all game long, without let up.

And there were Canadian fans who tried to compete and did a fair job of chanting.

Any time there was an offensive opportunity, there was a response from the crowd.

Although I did notice that the biggest roars came whenever Sinclair had open space to make a play, or when Buchanan came in for a hard tackle.

I have no complaints about the level of crowd noise or energy.

There was simply too many people for the concessions to handle. Apparently they tried to get a couple of vendors to carry beer/food to the stands - but they didn't make it out beyond the concourse due to the volume of people

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I haven't seen the TV broadcast, but if you said there was a lack of energy, then TV didn't do the crowd justice. There was a Chinese contingent that drummed and chanted all game long, without let up.

And there were Canadian fans who tried to compete and did a fair job of chanting.

Any time there was an offensive opportunity, there was a response from the crowd.

Although I did notice that the biggest roars came whenever Sinclair had open space to make a play, or when Buchanan came in for a hard tackle.

There was simply too many people for the concessions to handle. Apparently they tried to get a couple of vendors to carry beer/food to the stands - but they didn't make it out beyond the concourse due to the volume of people

Pretty good summary, agree with it all. People were very enthusiastic throughout the match. lets not forget it was virtually impossible for people to buy food or drink. You literally couldn't get anywhere in the concourse any of the time and couldn't refresh, get rehydrated or even go to the washroom. Water lineups were about 200 deep. I say this all the time but a FIFA that has water breaks and that hands out water to the players should also support bottled water to the fans made freely available. People were very enthusiastic considering the heat and sun was blistering on East stands sitting just above reflecting concrete. Like sitting on a rooftop for several hours with not a stitch of shade or fluid. All that didn't even sap the crowds energy.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yeah...it certainly didnt come across on TV at all. The Stadium seemed lifeless for the most part. I suspect that's because the energy was localized to certain sections as you described. Good for you that you had a generally positive experience.

Part of the issue here is Commonwealth itself. Visually beautiful stadium IMO but its just so cavernous that its easy for any meaningful atmosphere to get lost. The seats are so far back from the field which also doesn't help at all.

I have been to pretty much every stadium in Canada (except the new Hamilton field) and Olympic Stadium and Commonwealth have to be at the bottom of my list in terms of a venues ability to maintain and foster a high energy level and a strong atmosphere.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Pretty good summary, agree with it all. People were very enthusiastic throughout the match. lets not forget it was virtually impossible for people to buy food or drink. You literally couldn't get anywhere in the concourse any of the time and couldn't refresh, get rehydrated or even go to the washroom. Water lineups were about 200 deep. I say this all the time but a FIFA that has water breaks and that hands out water to the players should also support bottled water to the fans made freely available. People were very enthusiastic considering the heat and sun was blistering on East stands sitting just above reflecting concrete. Like sitting on a rooftop for several hours with not a stitch of shade or fluid. All that didn't even sap the crowds energy.

How did the concourses and food/drink stands compare to a big crowd Eskimo game? Was it worse than normal? Or do they always struggle at Commonwealth?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How did the concourses and food/drink stands compare to a big crowd Eskimo game? Was it worse than normal? Or do they always struggle at Commonwealth?

Oh it was awful, a complete nonstarter. you couldn't even get near concessions unless it was during play. Didn't help that most of the concessions were beer only. Whats with that? Also most of the added East/West concourse additions were mostly shut off (who knows why) and thus a large area where people could usually go to get out of the hordes was not available. Most of the time the concourse was an unending wall to wall carpet of humanity not moving in any direction. You couldn't go anywhere, washrooms, concessions, anything. A large part of the blame in this is merchandise and concessions sales setup in areas where they blocked entire flow of traffic anywhere.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Oh it was awful, a complete nonstarter. you couldn't even get near concessions unless it was during play. Didn't help that most of the concessions were beer only. Whats with that? Also most of the added East/West concourse additions were mostly shut off (who knows why) and thus a large area where people could usually go to get out of the hordes was not available. Most of the time the concourse was an unending wall to wall carpet of humanity not moving in any direction. You couldn't go anywhere, washrooms, concessions, anything. A large part of the blame in this is merchandise and concessions sales setup in areas where they blocked entire flow of traffic anywhere.
What is it about soccer games at Commonwealth stadium that can be such lousy fan experiences? I've been to two high profile international games where it was so unorganized that we weren't allowed into the stadium until half-time when the games were essentially over. You're complaining about concession stands not being open leading to crowd traffic problems in the concourse. I've been to Eskimos games where the building was packed and the problems weren't anywhere near as bad. Is this a CSA issue or a FIFA issue where they are too cheap to properly staff for these events?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That Ramona Bachmann, she's a fine soccer player.

Reminded me of Maradona on a few occasions tonight.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
My issues with the game were the concessions as well. We left at the 40 min mark in the game went to stand in line to get food/beer. we were only 5 people from the front of the line and as it was our turn they had ran out of beer....and just said tough luck go find some other place (which pissed a lot of people that were behind us as well)

I can't believe that not even half way through the first game of a double header they ran out of beer at this area. We spent the rest of half scrambling in different lines to get beer and it was very disorganized didn't get back to our seats until it was already 65mins into the game.

Even at the start of the 2nd game some friends went to get food/beer and didn't return till half time because there was that long of a line up. Hopefully they fix it for tomorrow's game because the games themselves/atmosphere was awesome being there live.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know, I watched Women's Soccer at the Olympics and didn't mind the couple games I watched. I watched the game the other day where USA won 3-1, but I could only watch 20 minutes and even then I was just more or less watching to see why Hope Solo's hips seemed larger.

I still want to go to one game as it's one of those once and a life time events, but I sure hope someone offers me a ticket as I really don't want to pay.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You know, I watched Women's Soccer at the Olympics and didn't mind the couple games I watched. I watched the game the other day where USA won 3-1, but I could only watch 20 minutes and even then I was just more or less watching to see why Hope Solo's hips seemed larger.

I still want to go to one game as it's one of those once and a life time events, but I sure hope someone offers me a ticket as I really don't want to pay.

As much as I want to see Canada's women's team be successful...on the whole this World Cup is very much a 2nd tier event. There are some isolated exceptions but for the most part quality of football is not at a standard I find particularly compelling.

I equate it to Womens hockey...great to see team Canada win but the sport as a whole has a long ways to go in terms of its level of play.

The U-20 World Cup is a much better standard of football and much more compelling to watch IMO.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton

I found the crowd to be quite loud at times...however I really wanted to start up some singing chants such as the "Ole Ole Ole" song...didn't have the balls to do it.

Everyone in our section was talking about how respectful the Chinese women were when they went right up to the crowd banging the drums and thanked them. That was really cool to watch as it was heart breaking for them losing like they did.

I had a great time, but the lineups were insanity.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
The game was pretty boring in all honesty. I'm glad I went but overall a meh experience. Would've been better with a more exciting game

Gopper

Sep 5, 2005
As much as I want to see Canada's women's team be successful...on the whole this World Cup is very much a 2nd tier event. There are some isolated exceptions but for the most part quality of football is not at a standard I find particularly compelling.

I equate it to Womens hockey...great to see team Canada win but the sport as a whole has a long ways to go in terms of its level of play.

The U-20 World Cup is a much better standard of football and much more compelling to watch IMO.
Women's events need to be taken for what they are and it's unfair to compare them to the men's events.

My friend made the Canadian team. Not sure if she will see a minute of action, but kinda cool and surprising. I think they are better players than her who haven't gotten sniff, which sums up the problems I have with the women's program.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Women's events need to be taken for what they are and it's unfair to compare them to the men's events.

My friend made the Canadian team. Not sure if she will see a minute of action, but kinda cool and surprising. I think they are better players than her who haven't gotten sniff, which sums up the problems I have with the women's program.

Still it is interesting in comparison that the 2007 U19 Mens WC comparatively got less attendance here or anywhere in Canada. That was as stated a WC caliber of play and with several of the players in that tournament going on to be stars and playing in subsequent WC's.

That was some great soccer. Yet I was able to get a tournament pass dirt cheap. See the best young players in the world dirt cheap. I think I paid around 35bucks each from a Soccer association for two passes.

Conversely I support the Womens game more out of emotion and support, but certainly the quality on the pitch is not all that great. For those with a taste for the mens game the and looking at it just from standpoint of quality of play the Womens game will appear slow, plodding, poor passing, questionable finishing.

people that wanted to see great soccer should've gone in 2007. I was there. These Womens tournaments are more of an emotional journey.

Now all that said Sinclair would be the exception to me. Outstanding and unparalleled Womens player. Nobody ever in the Womens game has been better.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Now all that said Sinclair would be the exception to me. Outstanding and unparalleled Womens player. Nobody ever in the Womens game has been better.

I used to watch the canadian mens program but I gave up because I was tired of watching them lose.... and lose..... and lose some more over the years.

I'm thankful that at least the Womens team now plays a more ground based interesting style than the air game of Ewan Pellerud.

I support Canadian womens team also because I believe it is inspirational to the women athletes, it is a team without the ego and entitlement of stars of other sports. I hope that the players get some financial compensation, but I don't think they do for the level of commitment required and the sacrifice of time and career.

Also, I'm of the belief that Christine Sinclair is the best soccer player Canada has ever, and probably will ever produce. A top five world class player - I don't see that ever happening on the mens side, and am frankly very dubious of it happening again on the womens side.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
Still it is interesting in comparison that the 2007 U19 Mens WC comparatively got less attendance here or anywhere in Canada. That was as stated a WC caliber of play and with several of the players in that tournament going on to be stars and playing in subsequent WC's.

That was some great soccer. Yet I was able to get a tournament pass dirt cheap. See the best young players in the world dirt cheap. I think I paid around 35bucks each from a Soccer association for two passes.

Conversely I support the Womens game more out of emotion and support, but certainly the quality on the pitch is not all that great. For those with a taste for the mens game the and looking at it just from standpoint of quality of play the Womens game will appear slow, plodding, poor passing, questionable finishing.

people that wanted to see great soccer should've gone in 2007. I was there. These Womens tournaments are more of an emotional journey.

lol pretty much. Women lack pace and power. Through ball game, also not that great

what i expected though

as a guy that watches EPL on the regular (manchester united in particular - world class players), this is tough. Cant get away from comparing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad