GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
The crowd was small, but we had a lot of fun. I wish Oilers and Eskimos games had an atmosphere that included singing and chanting and drumming. Good on the Cameroonians and Chinese for bringing it this afternoon.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Sinclair says she isn't going anywheres. Sounds like leadership to me.

Unlke Gretzky who retired when things become tough.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The crowd was small, but we had a lot of fun. I wish Oilers and Eskimos games had an atmosphere that included singing and chanting and drumming. Good on the Cameroonians and Chinese for bringing it this afternoon.

Who won?

China scored early and I turned it off expecting what the rest of the game would be like. Cameroon looked like they were pretending to be Canadian not being able to complete a pass.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Hmm, wouldnt it be grand for Australia to end up in the final.

Aussies and Canada are potentially on a collision course to meet in the semis at Commonwealth on Canada Day. I'd be really excited for that match, looking forward to seeing the Aussies back here next weekend already.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Aussies and Canada are potentially on a collision course to meet in the semis at Commonwealth on Canada Day. I'd be really excited for that match, looking forward to seeing the Aussies back here next weekend already.

Bronze anyways.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just another abysmal half by Canada. Swiss completely outclassing Canada all over the pitch who lack any offensive imagination.

Swiss with the two most dangerous chances with a player in the box wide open failing to connect into an open net and Chapman hauling down another Swiss player that was home free in the box. I don't know how Canada isn't trailing by now.

BC crowd learning what Commonwealth did, virtually little to cheer for. Canada not producing anything, have only 2 goals in tournament, and now the worst goals per minute of any team in the tournament. FTR, Canada to this point was tied with lowly Equator, plus one of our goals was a poorly awarded penalty kick.

This team looks basically incapable of scoring, Sinclair is hurt, yellow carded and having her worst game of the tournament. Very seldom would I be critical of Sinclair but just a brutal half of football from her.

Lawrence is the only Canadian that ever looks even remotely dangerous.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Canada: Lots of tenacity, zero creativity.

Going off that 1st half, a neutral observer would be shocked to find out that Canada was #8 world ranked and Switzerland #17. You'd think those rankings should be reversed.

And as much as I've loved Sinclair's play over the years, she's looked terrible this game. She's playing like she's got a tractor tire tied to her waist.

What a disappointing tournament so far for Schmidt as well. She's like the elephant graveyard of offensive chances. What's with her?

A very frustrating half to watch. It's not like the Swiss are world beaters either, they've made their own share of ball handling miscues as well...but Canada is simply too inept from the midfield on to do anything with it.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Just another abysmal half by Canada. Swiss completely outclassing Canada all over the pitch who lack any offensive imagination.

Swiss with the two most dangerous chances with a player in the box wide open failing to connect into an open net and Chapman hauling down another Swiss player that was home free in the box. I don't know how Canada isn't trailing by now.

BC crowd learning what Commonwealth did, virtually little to cheer for. Canada not producing anything, have only 2 goals in tournament, and now the worst goals per minute of any team in the tournament. FTR, Canada to this point was tied with lowly Equator, plus one of our goals was a poorly awarded penalty kick.

This team looks basically incapable of scoring, Sinclair is hurt, yellow carded and having her worst game of the tournament. Very seldomus chances with a player in the box wide open failing to connect into an open net and Chapman hauling down another Swiss player that was home free in the box. I don't know how Canada isn't trailing by now.

This team looks basically incapable of scoring, Sinclair is hurt, yellow carded and having her worst game of the tournament would I be critical of Sinclair but just a brutal half of football from her.

At this point I'd put 17 year old Jessie Fleming behind Sinclair, she's the only one (or two) who can play the final ball, or be dangerous with the ball. Everyone else looks like they aren't capable of doing much other than kicking it down the line.

edit: lol just after i type this they score - go figure..

Last edited:

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
I'm certainly not an expert on soccer, but it seems to me like "playing well" matters very little in the group stages and early knock out rounds. I'm not apologizing for winning group A and I'm not apologizing for winning the first knock out game. The girls survived and advanced. If not exactly where they are, where would you like them to be right now? Bring on Engway. I hope we play just as awful and win just as ugly against them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They won! You guys are pretty harsh on this team. Its not over till its over!

Harsh? Did you watch the game? Tournament? Canada is the worst scoring team in this entire tournament. On home soil and with every advantage incumbent in that.

Canadian player hauled down a Swiss player inside the box in first half. I mean just tackled her. No call. lol. Funniest thing I've seen in a Soccer match all year. That should be an automatic penalty Kick. Swiss delegation furious about it. Deservedly so. They're the 2nd country to get jobbed by Pro Canadian Calls so far.

Next, without Erin Mcleod saving Canada several times this one is in OT at this moment or a loss.

Sometimes its helpful that FIFA is corrupt. They love the 53k attendance in games in this tournament as long as Canada is in it.

That said nice heel pass from Sinclair on the winning goal. Sublime touch from the best player in the World who could use more help.

But the worst thing? The Swiss goalie was playing out there on one leg, noticeably couldn't even jump and is just back 3 weeks ago from a serious ACL injury. Really anything on target would've beat this goalie. We got our one good shot though but no reason not to have created a lot more.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Why would anybody be seriously excited about seeing Aussies in soccer? Serious question.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Harsh? Did you watch the game? Tournament? Canada is the worst scoring team in this entire tournament. On home soil and with every advantage incumbent in that.

Canadian player hauled down a Swiss player inside the box in first half. I mean just tackled her. No call. lol. Funniest thing I've seen in a Soccer match all year. That should be an automatic penalty Kick. Swiss delegation furious about it. Deservedly so. They're the 2nd country to get jobbed by Pro Canadian Calls so far.

Next, without Erin Mcleod saving Canada several times this one is in OT at this moment or a loss.

Sometimes its helpful that FIFA is corrupt. They love the 53k attendance in games in this tournament as long as Canada is in it.

That said nice heel pass from Sinclair on the winning goal. Sublime touch from the best player in the World who could use more help.

But the worst thing? The Swiss goalie was playing out there on one leg, noticeably couldn't even jump and is just back 3 weeks ago from a serious ACL injury. Really anything on target would've beat this goalie. We got our one good shot though but no reason not to have created a lot more.

Did you miss the obvious hand ball in the box by the Swiss in the first half as well? Both teams got hosed on penalties. And I'd take Canadas chances as far as goaltending in that situation.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did you miss the obvious hand ball in the box by the Swiss in the first half as well? Both teams got hosed on penalties. And I'd take Canadas chances as far as goaltending in that situation.

The hand ball wasn't in the box it was along the flank afairc.

Of course Canada has better goaltending. But Swiss have players that if put on the spot are automatic as well. Bachman is one of the elite soccer players in the world.

That said the draw was extremely fortunate for Canada as everybody knew. We haven't seen a topten opponent yet.

What gets me is in thinking that Canada should be good and among the favorites. Sinclair is the best player in the world. But offensively we don't have much else.
Hopefully Canada does put something together here or otherwise we've entirely squandered the whole career of a Gretzky like player. Soccer Canada, jmo, has failed this squad time and time again. There was a chance here since 2002 of this being a National side with an awesome future. That future has mostly elapsed.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
The hand ball was clearly in the box.

I thought Canada played well enough. They got the goal and for the most part were able to negate the Swiss attack. Sesselman is our worst player and she plays such an important role in the defense. I hope it doesn't cost us, but at least the rest of this team is a very solid unit. They are going to give up chances against quality opponents, especially in a tournament of this magnitude. However, Canada also has the experience, structure and a difference maker in goal. London was huge for this program.

In this game, We had better possession numbers, better chances and ultimately got the goal. The Swiss threatened for maybe a ten minute stretch in the first half and again in the last 5 or so minutes plus stoppage time.

I really like when Canada plays the ball out wide. It opened up so much against the Swiss today. I think if they can build on playing the ball out there with their physicality and athleticism we can go far in this tournament. Keep in mind, based on how the brackets worked out - Canada has controlled their own destiny (albeit unconvincingly) all the way and they may only need to beat one top ten opponent to take this whole thing.

More goals would be nice, but I'd rather wins and I'm sure any team would agree....

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The hand ball was clearly in the box.

I thought Canada played well enough. They got the goal and for the most part were able to negate the Swiss attack. Sesselman is our worst player and she plays such an important role in the defense. I hope it doesn't cost us, but at least the rest of this team is a very solid unit. They are going to give up chances against quality opponents, especially in a tournament of this magnitude. However, Canada also has the experience, structure and a difference maker in goal. London was huge for this program.

In this game, We had better possession numbers, better chances and ultimately got the goal. The Swiss threatened for maybe a ten minute stretch in the first half and again in the last 5 or so minutes plus stoppage time.

I really like when Canada plays the ball out wide. It opened up so much against the Swiss today. I think if they can build on playing the ball out there with their physicality and athleticism we can go far in this tournament. Keep in mind, based on how the brackets worked out - Canada has controlled their own destiny (albeit unconvincingly) all the way and they may only need to beat one top ten opponent to take this whole thing.

More goals would be nice, but I'd rather wins and I'm sure any team would agree....

meh, I must be remembering a different instance. Handball calls are often innocuous, just a case of ball hitting you and not the same in anycase as blatantly dragging somebody down in the box. That was clearly a play that negated a goal. probably the most obvious non call in the entire tournament, and of course Canada was again the beneficiary.

The best scoring chances of the night was the Swiss player in the 14th minute WIDE OPEN with the perfect pass to her in the slot and she misfires instead of stopping the ball and slotting it home. She probably didn't realize coverage was broke down on the play and she had time.

next best chance was 2nd half and the swiss play turning around and blasting it into Mcleod. Just awful defending. We're tentative in the box anytime the play isn't involving Buchanan. Really teams will probably start noting this and realizing they can just take it weak side all day. Just deliver balls, any ball into the box and fight for it. Half the time its a deadly scoring chance. Better teams in the tournament will kill this D.

This team doesn't score more than 1 goal a game and other than Buchanan has piss poor defense. Although in fairness to Sesselman she's still suffering effects of ACL injury. The shrimp we have on the other side, Chapman, could be called for a penalty on half her messy plays. Buchanan, despite her good play has been quite clumsy as well. Canada was carded twice today and are easily veering into red card territory with clumsy challenges. The Sinclair tackle was ugly. Cleat prints all over that one and not close to being a valid play on ball.

Thing is we haven't seen a legit opponent yet. Easy side of the draw.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
The hand ball wasn't in the box it was along the flank afairc.

Of course Canada has better goaltending. But Swiss have players that if put on the spot are automatic as well. Bachman is one of the elite soccer players in the world.

That said the draw was extremely fortunate for Canada as everybody knew. We haven't seen a topten opponent yet.

What gets me is in thinking that Canada should be good and among the favorites. Sinclair is the best player in the world. But offensively we don't have much else.
Hopefully Canada does put something together here or otherwise we've entirely squandered the whole career of a Gretzky like player. Soccer Canada, jmo, has failed this squad time and time again. There was a chance here since 2002 of this being a National side with an awesome future. That future has mostly elapsed.

She certainly isn't playing like she is. She has been very underwhelming and looks slow out there. She has miss hit the ball numerous times. That "heel pass" was nothing more than a ball that she couldn't control.

I think Belanger has looked good all tournament and it was a solid choice to move her up. McLeod has also been world class. Great to see the ladies get through to the next round.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
She certainly isn't playing like she is. She has been very underwhelming and looks slow out there. She has miss hit the ball numerous times. That "heel pass" was nothing more than a ball that she couldn't control.

I think Belanger has looked good all tournament and it was a solid choice to move her up. McLeod has also been world class. Great to see the ladies get through to the next round.

The heel pass was intended. Commentator thought so as well. it was a great control piece that led to an easy unmarked unexpected chance for Belanger. Example of how a great player with a great touch (and I've seen Sinclair execute magnificent plays for more than a dozen years) can make a play out of seemingly nothing. You have to replay it. Sinclair is thinking through that play and facing Belanger, not the goal, she knows what she's doing there, she's footing the ball down to a team mate setting up a wide open shot. Great play and we needed it.
in anycase few womens players in the world can so deftly and effortlessly bring a ball down with either foot. Sinclair is just on a whole other level. If Sinclair wanted to take that herself she probably does.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

This team looks basically incapable of scoring, Sinclair is hurt, yellow carded and having her worst game of the tournament. Very seldom would I be critical of Sinclair but just a brutal half of football from her.

It's a 90 minute game.

As far as I'm concerned, it was well strategized. You notice Lawrence subbed off? This isn't happenstance. With 3 subs, players have different minute figures they are shooting for.

The one running their legs off usually look good.

Last edited:

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
The heel pass was intended. Commentator thought so as well. it was a great control piece that led to an easy unmarked unexpected chance for Belanger. Example of how a great player with a great touch (and I've seen Sinclair execute magnificent plays for more than a dozen years) can make a play out of seemingly nothing. You have to replay it. Sinclair is thinking through that play and facing Belanger, not the goal, she knows what she's doing there, she's footing the ball down to a team mate setting up a wide open shot. Great play and we needed it.
in anycase few womens players in the world can so deftly and effortlessly bring a ball down with either foot. Sinclair is just on a whole other level. If Sinclair wanted to take that herself she probably does.

If you watch the replay she doesn't control the ball and then proceeds to chase the ball before noticing that Belanger was there and lets up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad