RD Seamus Casey - Univ. of Michigan (2022, 46th, NJD)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think NJ could take the next step this upcoming year after a trying and learning one in 23-24 amid the expectations from their 22-23 rise.

That's one well constructed team IMO.

I think we should be good again in large part because we should have some competent coaching again which proved to be a huge problem last year with Brunette gone. I do have some questions though that’ll determine “how good”

Fitz seemingly doesn’t give a single f*** about centers. We only have 3 true centers on the roster in Jack/Nico/Haula. Lazar’s never been a full time center and is going to have to be the 4C now with no backup behind him at all. Mercer’s the only winger that’s played in the middle and he’s not good in the middle. If either Jack or Nico miss any considerable amount of time we could be in some deep shit. I think the forward depth is quite lacking. It’s even more suspect than I thought it was going into last year and it proved to be a real issue last year

On the backend, is Siegs able to bounce back? Dillon’s been good but he’s also at the age where the bottom could fall out at any moment. That shouldn’t be a real issue though if Siegs bounces back under Keefe. I’m lower on Pesce than most people are. I think he’s a fine 2nd pair D but he’s not some upgrade on Marino and especially not one on what 22-23 Marino was. I’m also curious how Pesce looks outside of Carolina. He’s been in the perfect defensive environment.

Last edited:

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Keefe was pretty critical of the whole team last night. Except for Casey, who he singled out as one of the only players who had a great game.

“As a coach, especially a guy coming in trying to learn who everybody is and what they can do, you’re just watching. And, each day he’s just getting better and better,” Keefe started.

“I wanted to play him again here tonight with more of our NHL guys in. I think the skill sets match up really well. And if he showed enough positive things yesterday, that he certainly earned an opportunity to play in the game here today. Despite it being back to back and travel and all the other things we might look at for some guys in a situation like this, he thrived. So, I was thrilled with his game, and it was a no-brainer to put him out late in the game.”

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Keefe was pretty critical of the whole team last night. Except for Casey, who he singled out as one of the only players who had a great game.

“As a coach, especially a guy coming in trying to learn who everybody is and what they can do, you’re just watching. And, each day he’s just getting better and better,” Keefe started.

“I wanted to play him again here tonight with more of our NHL guys in. I think the skill sets match up really well. And if he showed enough positive things yesterday, that he certainly earned an opportunity to play in the game here today. Despite it being back to back and travel and all the other things we might look at for some guys in a situation like this, he thrived. So, I was thrilled with his game, and it was a no-brainer to put him out late in the game.”

He gave Casey 2 more 5v5 minutes than the next guy and 3 more than the 3rd guy. Casey lead the way with 20:19, next guy at 18:28, and 3rd guy at 17:31. That's also with Casey being on a back to back with travel. In the prior game he bumped up Casey late in the game from playing with an AHLer in Vilen to Siegenthaler. Keefe seems to really like Casey so far and with the injuries on the backend to Luke and Pesce to start the season I don't know how you leave Casey off the team at least until the D is healthy.

Keefe also had nice things to say about Casey after the Montreal game and Jack Hughes also spoke very highly of Casey's game last night

BavelPure

Aug 24, 2005
I was at the game last night and he was easily the most dynamic player on the ice. As soon as he gets the puck at the blue line he is darting or spinning to a scoring area. Just attacks very rapidly. Reminds me of Jesper/Jack in the way he skates, maybe even Quinn Hughes. Looked good defensively too, just a little small in front of the net moving guys.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
His quick burst skating and high-end hockey IQ is why I was bullish on him in his draft year, despite his small stature.

But where is this kid going to play? Shouldn't need more than a year of AHL seasoning and has Nemec, Hamilton and Pesce ahead of him.

No room at LD either with Hughes, Siegenthaler and Dillon signed long-term (or about to be in Hughes' case).

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I was at the game last night and he was easily the most dynamic player on the ice. As soon as he gets the puck at the blue line he is darting or spinning to a scoring area. Just attacks very rapidly. Reminds me of Jesper/Jack in the way he skates, maybe even Quinn Hughes. Looked good defensively too, just a little small in front of the net moving guys.

I’ve also said he’s like the defense Bratt and he’s a lot like Quinn. Jack’s obviously very similar to both of those guys too. While Casey’s a tremendous skater like those guys I do feel like he’s lacking that a bit of the explosiveness to his skating that those guys have to really hit high end speeds

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
His quick burst skating and high-end hockey IQ is why I was bullish on him in his draft year, despite his small stature.

But where is this kid going to play? Shouldn't need more than a year of AHL seasoning and has Nemec, Hamilton and Pesce ahead of him.

No room at LD either with Hughes, Siegenthaler and Dillon signed long-term (or about to be in Hughes' case).

It should be a max 2 years before there’s a spot opened and he’ll only be 22 then. Dougie should have 2 years max left here. Really shouldn’t be keeping him beyond summer 2026 as you really shouldn’t be paying 3D 8+ mil. They’ve got some time to figure things out. I definitely think he could play this year but playing most of the year in the AHL playing a ton of minutes would also be good for him. Siegs had a really rough year last year so with another poor year they probably move on from him which opens up a spot. If Siegs is good again then maybe you run out 7D when healthy in 25-26 to get Casey in the lineup. I think Casey could be a F/D hybrid as well that year. Whatever happens you just figure it out when the time comes rather than move on from him early as it’s not going to be long before he’s in there full time.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

We're going to have to move on from Hamilton within the next year or 2, his NTC expires soon.

That said, I think he may ultimately leapfrog Nemec on the depth chart.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How far is Casey down the depth chart with the injuries in mind? Should see some NHL games this year right?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
How far is Casey down the depth chart with the injuries in mind? Should see some NHL games this year right?

He should be starting the year with how good he’s been and Luke/Pesce out. In a fully healthy lineup I imagine he goes down because he’s the easiest to get rid of with the most to learn in the AHL. If he keeps up his play though he could force their hand and make things interesting.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad