Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Horvat 50% retention
OEL 20% retention

Mike Reilly, Craig Smith, Derek Forbort

picks/prospects around.

This makes the dollars equal.

Thoughts?

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
If these people in the front office are smart the return on some of these players will reduce any rebuild. Ottawa is in year 3/4 and as good.
Buffalo is in their 3 o5th rebuild of the last 15 years. the most recent is 4 years old and they didn't have the high value assets to trade.
Would anyone trade Pettersson for Bedard? Hughes?

Trade a couple core roster players and trading Pettersson for Bedard or any of the top 3 or 4 picks might not be necessary.

Mate. Your significant contract error of garlands status on the first page had robbed you of any credibility. He had a five year contract and there will be three left after this. Not five. It's either ignorance or wilful distortion.

Reactions: theguardianII

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Buck foston forever
I had been over it for like a solid 8 years up until Chara's comment. Then the stupid copes from the cringe bruins fans about Bieksa shutting down the stupid rumor brought it back.

But, if it means I get out of this Benning parting gift of OEL, I don't really care. I mean I do but I don't.

Reactions: racerjoe

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I don't know how a front office that compose of mostly intelligent people, who can clearly outlined the weaknesses of the team and correctly highlight the issues that need resolving, can turn what Benning left over into...THIS!?
I have listened to Ray Ferrero for years, I refuse to believe his wife supports any of these moves! I know Granato cannot talk to Ray about the inner workings of the Nucks front office, but this (not picking a direction) is the Nucks main problem for years and Ray constantly says it, no way Cammi doesn't know this when she took the job. I really don't understand what is going on, it's like we hired so many people in the front office and none of them can have a say because this feels exactly like Benning 2.0!

Feb 19, 2018
Funny a year ago we were on hype train so happy Benning and his possie was canned. Fast forward to today and the sky is falling and there is no hope for new management as a step to building this team correctly.

After going through the Miller fiasco last year I’ll wait and see what happens before commenting on how much of a tire fire this is. You can only laugh at this point and watch Canuck nation burn to the ground as I can’t tell you one fan that is Happy right now.

Interesting situation, do we actually get a new owner due to fans not supporting FA as the Canuck owner anymore? It’s definitely trending that way and I don’t see anything but huge losses for the ownership for the next 8-10 years due to incompetence, very important who you get to run your team.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
This is a Mike Milbury level management team. Worst in the league no doubt. These idiots were about to saddle this franchise with a brutal Horvat contract but the poor dude wants out so badly saving us.

This is a once in a lifetime situation with how strong this draft class is. We could go into the draft with 4 first round picks plus an extra 2nd.

Horvat
Miller
Kuzmenko
Schenn

All have to be traded at this point. Will these morons actually pull the plug on the season and actually think long term asset wise is the question. They need to position themselves to get a top 5 pick. This is the only way to salvage this year.

If they continue this mind boggling stupid plan of a half ass retool with stupid pointless age gap targets we are doomed for the next decade. Example: trading Horvat for Roslovic/Peeke/1st. Nightmare scenario.

In regards to Horvat, was a pleasure following his career and watching him grow into the player he is today. Class act and a true soldier for this franchise. Playoff beast. Just our luck a formidable duo down the middle of Pettersson/Horvat just lead to one playoff run.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Funny a year ago we were on hype train so happy Benning and his possie was canned. Fast forward to today and the sky is falling and there is no hope for new management as a step to building this team correctly.

After going through the Miller fiasco last year I’ll wait and see what happens before commenting on how much of a tire fire this is. You can only laugh at this point and watch Canuck nation burn to the ground as I can’t tell you one fan that is Happy right now.

Interesting situation, do we actually get a new owner due to fans not supporting FA as the Canuck owner anymore? It’s definitely trending that way and I don’t see anything but huge losses for the ownership for the next 8-10 years due to incompetence, very important who you get to run your team.
There are a few on these very boards.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think trading Horvat is the right move because this team needs to fix their issues on defence SO BADLY, like its comical how badly a contending team is constructed from the back end. Horvat belongs to an embarrassment of riches with our forward group.....We have had bloody Boeser and Podkolzin on the 3rd line

I love Bo, he's been one of my favourite players since we drafted him, I personally will cheer for him to a level I have not experienced for an opposing player in perhaps ever.

Lets restock picks and prospects ( take back a bad contract and retain money to maximize the return ) and then make room to resign Kuzmenko

WE HAVE TO PROVE TO PETEY THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE GOOD.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Most of you will know I am an optimist. But not now. I wanted Miller, Boesser, and Garland all traded last year. So what do we do...sign two overpaid players to long term contracts. I suspect that management tried to dump both those guys and failed. But now we are in long term disaster with no way out. Shit.

Reactions: geebaan

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Horvat 50% retention
OEL 20% retention

picks/prospects around.

Thoughts?

I don't understand the concept of trading high-end assets like Horvat to simply gain cap space. So we make this trade and have a bunch of extra cap space. What does that really accomplish? How does it make the team better now or in the future?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is a Mike Milbury level management team. Worst in the league no doubt. These idiots were about to saddle this franchise with a brutal Horvat contract but the poor dude wants out so badly saving us.

This is a once in a lifetime situation with how strong this draft class is. We could go into the draft with 4 first round picks plus an extra 2nd.

Horvat
Miller
Kuzmenko
Schenn

All have to be traded at this point. Will these morons actually pull the plug on the season and actually think long term asset wise is the question. They need to position themselves to get a top 5 pick. This is the only way to salvage this year.

If they continue this mind boggling stupid plan of a half ass retool with stupid pointless age gap targets we are doomed for the next decade. Example: trading Horvat for Roslovic/Peeke/1st. Nightmare scenario.

In regards to Horvat, was a pleasure following his career and watching him grow into the player he is today. Class act and a true soldier for this franchise. Playoff beast. Just our luck a formidable duo down the middle of Pettersson/Horvat just lead to one playoff run.

I think it's an under-appreciated, fairly alarming story that their plan appeared to be to sign Horvat at 8X$7.5M and then buy a bunch of contracts out to accommodate it. Like, who thinks this will actually work? That's pure Benning thought process.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
It's a stuck in the middle situation, par for the course during the last 8-9 years.

They should've either traded both of them to kick start a rebuild, or signed both if they truly feel like this core is good enough and just needs tweaking. I would've strongly disagreed with the latter but at least that's a direction, instead they're once again in this weird no man's land like when they let Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli all walk.

It's actually amazing how scared this franchise been to just pick a clear direction.

I think it was Dreger or Sarevelli that mentioned this last summer that rival executives are even confused by this team's moves, they don't know if they're trying to win-now or build for the future.
Personally this continues to be my hugest criticism of this team in the last decade. We've been too chickenshit to ever make a real choice on the path of the team. Too greedy to decide to rebuild, too bad at their jobs to execute a hard retool, too indecisive to make the hard choice and too dumb & arrogant to explain rationale to the market. Just comes together to make it hard to understand what is happening with this team at any given moment, and makes it hard to want to follow if you're a fan who wants to use one single ounce of critical thought

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Horvat 50% retention
OEL 20% retention

picks/prospects around.

Thoughts?
Wont work as Forbort and Hoglander dont get along

Reactions: Lindgren

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think it's an under-appreciated, fairly alarming story that their plan appeared to be to sign Horvat at 8X$7.5M and then buy a bunch of contracts out to accommodate it. Like, who thinks this will actually work? That's pure Benning thought process.

it sucks but it seems we have another group of professional idiots running this club… another decade of hell for Canuck fans.

Reactions: TruGr1t

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Most of you will know I am an optimist. But not now. I wanted Miller, Boesser, and Garland all traded last year. So what do we do...sign two overpaid players to long term contracts. I suspect that management tried to dump both those guys and failed. But now we are in long term disaster with no way out. Shit.

the problem is they don’t try. This was a big deal last year when they didn’t move Miller, Allvin said they weren’t getting calls on Miller. They have an old school negotiation approach of you have the control when someone comes to you for something, it’s an outdated way to do business in todays world and I get why their having so much issues because of this old way of doing things. They need to be working the phones and creating interest but they work by leaking out a player may be available and hope other GMs call you and if they don’t you call it a day.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Horvat
Miller
Kuzmenko
Schenn

Hmmn

Horvat fan but criticizing the management for wanting to sign him? What do you think is a fair contract? And when you say saddle this team with a brutal contract is that with consideration that they were trying to sign him in the 5s before things broke off and that there was a understanding that he wanted to stay so they didnt have to have it done this past off season. What sort of outcome would you say is what should have been done?

The plan sould have been to tank for Bedard then? That would have been what you sold your fans and ownership with our roster and you think that's realistic and smart?

And just how formidable were Horvat and Pettersson to this point compared to playoff teams 1-2 C's down the middle. Seems pretty middling just like this team until this year. Sad part is that if Horvat does move on that a 27yr old and a 23yr old haven't hit their winning peaks yet here we are with people clamoring to be smart and blow it up.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Mate. Your significant contract error of garlands status on the first page had robbed you of any credibility. He had a five year contract and there will be three left after this. Not five. It's either ignorance or wilful distortion.
I was switching pages and must have been looking at the signing page.

True Garland has another 3 years after this starting when he turns 27 on March 11, 2023

It is irrelevant because he can be bought out and save money and I always felt it was a horrible contract for a part time NHL RFA making league minimum with no negotiating leverage.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
the problem is they don’t try. This was a big deal last year when they didn’t move Miller, Allvin said they weren’t getting calls on Miller. They have an old school negotiation approach of you have the control when someone comes to you for something, it’s an outdated way to do business in todays world and I get why their having so much issues because of this old way of doing things. They need to be working the phones and creating interest but they work by leaking out a player may be available and hope other GMs call you and if they don’t you call it a day.

There's nothing to suggest this is going on. They've gotten deals done, just not the ones we've been waiting on. I wouldn't read too much into phrasing.. the fact a Miller trade never happened & then he got re-signed suggested it was a conscious decision they made as opposed to just sleeping in their office all day.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Imagine needing your own players to save the franchise by not resigning. Management was about to make another mistake by signing Horvat to a long term extension which would essentially mean the roster we are currently icing will be their absolute ceiling lol. They clearly have no long term vision and can’t help themselves.

I have zero faith in where this is headed. The owner clearly hired another person in line with his own selfish way of thinking which is retool on the fly indefinitely for a chance at a few playoff bucks.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I don't understand the concept of trading high-end assets like Horvat to simply gain cap space. So we make this trade and have a bunch of extra cap space. What does that really accomplish? How does it make the team better now or in the future?
I'm not sure JUST trading high end assets for cap space is a good idea...but the cap space gained has to be (in most cases where the owner isn't an idiot) viewed as an asset as well...in the current marketplace where not many teams have cap flexibility, being a team that can take on some bad cap space in return for assets, why wouldn't you? We are giving up a 2nd rounder in order to save just over a million dollars in cap space with the Dickinson deal, why not use that method yourself to try to help rebuild your prospect pool?

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad