Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Its comical that people are clamoring for moves right now. Unless were making hockey trades the dumbest possible thing we could do is trying to move large contracts in December

Reactions: andora and racerjoe

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not sure JUST trading high end assets for cap space is a good idea...but the cap space gained has to be (in most cases where the owner isn't an idiot) viewed as an asset as well...in the current marketplace where not many teams have cap flexibility, being a team that can take on some bad cap space in return for assets, why wouldn't you? We are giving up a 2nd rounder in order to save just over a million dollars in cap space with the Dickinson deal, why not use that method yourself to try to help rebuild your prospect pool?

So we start with a bad asset in OEL, trade him and Horvat for little, then use the cap space to gain assets by acquiring bad contracts. Isn't it easier to just keep OEL as the bad contract and trade Horvat for something good originally? What's the difference?

Don't get me wrong - I understand the concept. And sure, if you gain enough value along the way then it will make sense. I just think Horvat is a blue-chip asset here and this is a rare time to get a blue-chip asset/assets in return. I think I prefer that to de-valuing the asset by including OEL.

Now obviously if you get an insane offer from a complete idiot in charge of another team like what Arizona did to us, then you do it. But if we are talking a "fair" deal in terms of value.. not the way I would go.

Its comical that people are clamoring for moves right now. Unless were making hockey trades the dumbest possible thing we could do is trying to move large contracts in December

Is this inclusive to Horvat?

Reactions: racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
To be clear, no one overestimated anything this time around. Friedman reported a few months ago that if the players can get their escrow portion paid up, the cap will start climbing in the upcoming offseason. There's still a possibility that happens, although it seems quite low. There still is a large projected cap rise for the 2024-25 season and beyond.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Horvat 50% retention
OEL 20% retention

Mike Reilly, Craig Smith, Derek Forbort

picks/prospects around.

This makes the dollars equal.

Thoughts?

I get it is a pipe dream but Boston is not trading for OEL anymore lol.

They are already locked into their dcore for the next 4 years

I've been calling Horvat to Boston for 2 years now, but they don't really have anybody that stands out as an obvious piece. Hopefully we can drag them into a bidding war with Winnipeg, Dallas, Detroit, Colorado

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's what I came up with, a while ago, to offload OEL somewhere:

To CanucksTo Stars
Jamie BennBo Horvat(42% retained)
Ty DelandreaOEL
2nd (2024)
Cap Implications
CanucksStars
+0.087m-0.087m

One major issue is Jamie Benn has seen a career resurgence this season. At the time I came up with this, that was not the case.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Avalanche need a bonafide 2nd line centre. I bet the Canucks could fandangle a few good young players like Newhook,Girard and maybe one of Maltsev or Olausson to go with Colorado's first rounder. Having done that pretty much everyone not named Hughes,Pettersson and Miller are up for grabs and I'd be dealing them in a Heartbeat since the Canucks have mostly stunk this year. The Russian's Mikheyev and buddy Star Kuzmenko would be retained too and Bear has been a decent "find"! Too bad the Canucks traded Mike DiPietro the goaltending has been shabby except for most of the games Martin has played but he's not the long term answer!

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
To be clear, no one overestimated anything this time around. Friedman reported a few months ago that if the players can get their escrow portion paid up, the cap will start climbing in the upcoming offseason. There's still a possibility that happens, although it seems quite low. There still is a large projected cap rise for the 2024-25 season and beyond.

Just a question as I don't remember. Wasn't part of the reason the cap was going to go up was to smooth out a giant leap or am I not remembering things correctly?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Just a question as I don't remember. Wasn't part of the reason the cap was going to go up was to smooth out a giant leap or am I not remembering things correctly?

Cap can't go up until the players escrow is fully paid up. I believe that if there was any smoothing, they need approval by the NHLPA.

Reactions: racerjoe

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The Avalanche need a bonafide 2nd line centre. I bet the Canucks could fandangle a few good young players like Newhook,Girard and maybe one of Maltsev or Olausson to go with Colorado's first rounder. Having done that pretty much everyone not named Hughes,Pettersson and Miller are up for grabs and I'd be dealing them in a Heartbeat since the Canucks have mostly stunk this year. The Russian's Mikheyev and buddy Star Kuzmenko would be retained too and Bear has been a decent "find"! Too bad the Canucks traded Mike DiPietro the goaltending has been shabby except for most of the games Martin has played but he's not the long term answer!

i hope colorado isn't where horvat ends up. i'm not high on newhook and girard is the wrong kind of asset to be targeting. maltsev and olausson aren't high end prospects and their picks aren't great

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i hope colorado isn't where horvat ends up. i'm not high on newhook and girard is the wrong kind of asset to be targeting. maltsev and olausson aren't high end prospects and their picks aren't great

Yeah, I like the idea of Newhook but, to me, his stock has really dropped this season. Other than him, and obviously but untouchable Byram, they only have late draft picks to offer. I won't complain if that's ultimately the return (Newhook, 1st, & 2nd) but there are a bunch of teams with so many other valuable pieces I'm far more interested in.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah, I like the idea of Newhook but, to me, his stock has really dropped this season. Other than him, and obviously but untouchable Byram, they only have late draft picks to offer. I won't complain if that's ultimately the return (Newhook, 1st, & 2nd) but there are a bunch of teams with so many other valuable pieces I'm far more interested in.

newhook and their 1st and 2nd this year is a decent return. i just hope the canucks can do better. newhook tops out as like roslovic/bennett imo

Reactions: Vector

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Well, that's disappointing.

That would be good news if we were well run. Lots of bargains in the ufa market. Lots of desperate teams unloading good players for next to nothing and bad players with prime assets.

I guess we move to the desperate side of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad