Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Laff would have way more value, having played a lot more NHL games, looked a lot better at times, and been a much higher picker (rightly or wrongly that matters).

I haven't watched any NY games this year, I like him in last years Playoffs thought he was a line driver.
Kind of similar to Horvat(until this season) in how they can impact the playoffs more because it's a tad slower than regular season and a bit more jumbled up allowing them to be in the play more.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
trade for Lafreniere and Schneider. It will cost Horvat ++++ but it would be an excellent step for the future. Although the probability of Lafreniere actually becoming good is currently low.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I wouldn’t trade Horvat or Miller with those two guys as the primary return. They aren’t good and likely won’t be good enough to make a difference night to night

I would absolutely trade Miller for either, but I am someone that would trade Miller for nothing to get out of his contract.

Miller has been a liability at ES this year. He has less points than both Kakko and Laf at ES, and has a 42 xGF%. Paying someone 8m to put up points on the power play is not money well spent.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I actually wouldn’t mind Kakko as a target. He’s not living up to his draft position, but puts up 30-35 ES points a year and is a great 2way player. Fills a need there. Pettersson and Kuzmenko are the only regular forwards with above 50% xGF%. His next contract shouldn’t be too expensive either. If Horvat isn’t coming back, and we can’t get a top forward or D prospect which we almost certainly won’t, than Kakko would be a good piece. Better than a 1st + B prospects or someone like Newhook.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’d do a deal like Miller and Boeser or Garland for Laf and Kakko, helps Rangers with their win now and if both of those players bust for us we at least clear cap. Not sure if Rangers can do that with the cap

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’d do a deal like Miller and Boeser or Garland for Laf and Kakko, helps Rangers with their win now and if both of those players bust for us we at least clear cap. Not sure if Rangers can do that with the cap
They only have like $3M in cap space right now

K.Miller needs a new contract next year coming off of ELC and he's a top 4 dman. Chytil is their most expensive expiring at 2.3M and they have 3.425M coming off in buyout.

In other words they have very little cap space for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
They only have like $3M in cap space right now

K.Miller needs a new contract next year coming off of ELC and he's a top 4 dman. Chytil is their most expensive expiring at 2.3M and they have 3.425M coming off in buyout.

In other words they have very little cap space for next year.

As of right now, the Rangers have 17.6m in cap space for next offseason.

New York Rangers
UFAsRFAsProj. Cap Space
Samuel BlaisFilip Chytil17.6m
Jimmy VeseyAlexis Lafreniere
Ben HarpurVitali KravtsovRoster Size
Jaro HalakJulien Gauthier12
Gustav RydahlK'Andre Miller
Ryan CarpenterLibor Hajek
C.J. SmithPatrick Khodorenko
Andy WelinskiLauri Pajuniemi
Tim Gettinger
Austin Reuschhoff
Zachary Jones
Brandon Scanlin
Ty Emberson

Even if Chyil, Lafreniere, and Miller get large raises in the 3m range that will leave the Rangers with a decent chunk of cap space to either add an impact player or fill out the rest of the roster.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would do Laf and Chytil for Horvat. Value seems about right and Laf probably has similar value to Dach (mid 1st) and Chytil is probably worth a 2nd

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As of right now, the Rangers have 17.6m in cap space for next offseason.

New York Rangers
UFAsRFAsProj. Cap Space
Samuel BlaisFilip Chytil17.6m
Jimmy VeseyAlexis Lafreniere
Ben HarpurVitali KravtsovRoster Size
Jaro HalakJulien Gauthier12
Gustav RydahlK'Andre Miller
Ryan CarpenterLibor Hajek
C.J. SmithPatrick Khodorenko
Andy WelinskiLauri Pajuniemi
Tim Gettinger
Austin Reuschhoff
Zachary Jones
Brandon Scanlin
Ty Emberson

Even if Chyil, Lafreniere, and Miller get large raises in the 3m range that will leave the Rangers with a decent chunk of cap space to either add an impact player or fill out the rest of the roster.
17.6M with a roster size of 12 doesn't sound like a ton of room to work with, especially since Miller should easily get $3M plus since RFA's seem to be getting paid fairly these days

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
17.6M with a roster size of 12 doesn't sound like a ton of room to work with, especially since Miller should easily get $3M plus since RFA's seem to be getting paid fairly these days

If you allocate 9m to those three that leaves 8.6m for 8 spots. Every one of those spots are bottom of the roster types. 3rd pairing defencemen, 7th/8th defencemen, and bottom-6 forwards that will come in around 2m to league minimum. They can add an impact player by trading one of the three (and/or Kaapo) and filling out the roster with lower cap hit players.

They have enough room to maneuver.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If you allocate 9m to those three that leaves 8.6m for 8 spots. Every one of those spots are bottom of the roster types. 3rd pairing defencemen, 7th/8th defencemen, and bottom-6 forwards that will come in around 2m to league minimum. They can add an impact player by trading one of the three (and/or Kaapo) and filling out the roster with lower cap hit players.

They have enough room to maneuver.
Yeah but the post I was responding to suggested Horvat or Boeser, I can't see them fitting either of them in without moving out a significant cap hit to fit one of them in.

If you have K.Miller at like 3.5M that leaves 14.1M with a roster of 13, not sure how they could fit in Boeser at 6.65M or Horvat at 8-9M. Especially since in the Boeser scenario they would not be giving up Kakko or Laf who both also need raises as well.

They have room to add some salary, but they aren't exactly in position to add a big contract without shedding some salary to make it fit.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yeah but the post I was responding to suggested Horvat or Boeser, I can't see them fitting either of them in without moving out a significant cap hit to fit one of them in.

If you have Miller at like 3.5M that leaves 14.1M with a roster of 13, not sure how they could fit in Boeser at 6.65M or Horvat at 8-9M. Especially since in the Boeser scenario they would not be giving up Kakko or Laf who both also need raises as well.

They have room to add some salary, but they aren't exactly in position to add a big contract without shedding some salary to make it fit.

I was just excited to have an excuse to post that after spending a good chunk of my first day back at work making those lists for every team,

Let's go with Horvat since he actually would move the needle and would be worth it for them to move money around. For argument's sake, they trade Lafreniere and Chytil for Horvat. Or they trade them for picks and sign Horvat as a UFA. Either way, Bo signs with them for 9m. Miller gets a 2.5m bridge deal. That leaves them with 6.1m for a back-up goalie, 3 bottom of the roster defencemen, and 5 forwards. It's tight and would mean they are basically icing a bunch of Jimmy Veseys and Ben Harpurs but barely doable.

Buy yeah, I don't see the Rangers as a good trade partner at all. There a bunch of other teams with ample cap space for next season that are much better targets.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I was just excited to have an excuse to post that after spending a good chunk of my first day back at work making those lists for every team,

Let's go with Horvat since he actually would move the needle and would be worth it for them to move money around. For argument's sake, they trade Lafreniere and Chytil for Horvat. Or they trade them for picks and sign Horvat as a UFA. Either way, Bo signs with them for 9m. Miller gets a 2.5m bridge deal. That leaves them with 6.1m for a back-up goalie, 3 bottom of the roster defencemen, and 5 forwards. It's tight and would mean they are basically icing a bunch of Jimmy Veseys and Ben Harpurs but barely doable.

Buy yeah, I don't see the Rangers as a good trade partner at all. There a bunch of other teams with ample cap space for next season that are much better targets.
Agree with this.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Holy fiddle sticks how moronic is this FO & ownership? Why are they allergic to adding draft picks instead of stalled or overhyped players that are bordering on bust territory.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Holy fiddle sticks how moronic is this FO & ownership? Why are they allergic to adding draft picks instead of stalled or overhyped players that are bordering on bust territory.
Well once in awhile you hit jackpot on a Naslund or Bertuzzi. It happened roughly 25 years ago, so we are due.

**Joking, obviously.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Athletic's Trade Board is up. Doesn't have anything new or interesting.

1) Bo Horvat:

You never say “never” in these situations, but Horvat is having a career season as a pending unrestricted free agent, and the Canucks are in full trade mode on him since he rejected their latest contract offer. The value is red-hot, and it seems like this just needed to get done last summer, when the sides were too far apart in negotiations. “There’s been no new negotiating conversations in terms of Bo Horvat,” his agent Pat Morris said late last week. And because he doesn’t have a no-trade clause, the Canucks can entertain the max number of bidders. I don’t anticipate a quick resolution because so many contending teams are so close to the cap, but as we get closer to March 3, watch out. I really like him as a fit in Colorado, and there’s no question that as we close in on the deadline the Avalanche will want to add to their top six, having never replaced the departed Nazem Kadri. — LeBrun, Jan. 3

10) Brock Boeser:

Teams are showing interest because of the talent, but taking the cap hit full-on is a turnoff: two more seasons left after this one, with a $6.65 million average annual. The fact the Canucks have allowed Boeser’s agent, Ben Hankinson, to seek potential trade partners directly underlines management’s recognition that it won’t be easy to move that kind of money. The obvious team to single out here is Boeser’s native Minnesota Wild, and yes, the Wild have talked about Boeser, for sure. But the cap hit, again, is a huge issue. The Canucks have to clear max cap space in any Boeser trade; it just doesn’t feel like salary retention is an option here. Taking a contract back as part of the deal, sure. But I don’t think salary retention on Boeser is something Vancouver wants to do. That’s why I think this process will play out for a while. — LeBrun, Dec. 15

24) Luke Schenn:

His agent, Ben Hankinson, created a firestorm recently when he tweeted a CanucksArmy.com article pumping up the value of his client and wrote, “Luke Schenn…perfect deadline acquisition.” Canucks Twitter figured that was Schenn’s agent’s way of saying Schenn wanted out in advance of the deadline. Hankinson and Schenn have both since walked it back, but regardless, the rugged defensive defenseman and two-time Stanley Cup champ would be appealing to a team that needs to bulk up on the back end or add depth. — Russo, Dec. 15

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

I don't think Miller re-signs for any less than $4-5M on any term.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We've kind of looked at winger as not a need recently, but the sad reality is that on top of everything else this team needs they probably need wingers as well. In a scenario where Horvat is traded, you can basically lock Miller in at center.

That leaves these as the top9 wing options:
Mikheyev - Locked in
Garland - Might be locked in by default
Kuzmenko, Boeser - Could be traded
Pearson - Who knows/cares
Podkolzin, Hoglander - Hopefully can be top 9 pieces, but again who knows

Right now the forward group is completely healthy aside from Pearson.. and Lane Pederson & Sheldon Dries are top 9 wingers.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Take picks. Picks are better currency to get what you need than forcing some age gap positional requirement.

The guys contenders want to move for rentals aren’t drastically changing the Canucks future imo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Take picks. Picks are better currency to get what you need than forcing some age gap positional requirement.

The guys contenders want to move for rentals aren’t drastically changing the Canucks future imo.

Taking picks over young established NHL players is absolutely terrible management.

Unless some team is willing to fork over a top-10 pick, draft picks are the most overrated assets in the sport. It's hilarious how dazzled fans are by 1st round picks in the 20s given how terrible the track record is for those picks.

The team should absolutely be targeting Lafreniere-types who have a *massively* higher chance of moving the needle. But the problem is that Lafreniere is a slow skill winger on a team loaded with slow skill wingers. If you move Horvat, you have to be addressing the team at C or D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad