Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
New Drance & Dhaliwal article up at The Athletic:

-next month will determine the rest of the season
-Podkolzin and Hoglander will remain in the AHL
-Canucks have the financial flexibility to keep Horvat but strongly seems like he will be traded
-trade priority is still a young centreman or right shot defenceman
-NHL top prospects game is in Langley on Jan. 25th; Horvat’s agent will be there; speculation that will be the last time they negotiate
-Pettersson is a priority
-Canucks view Kuzmenko as a crucial piece; agent says “When the time comes, we’ll figure it out”
-Luke Schenn will be traded, regardless of standings, if a good offer is made
-want to extend Burroughs
-plan has always been to keep Boudreau all season
-team views Gronborg as a high level NHL assistant or AHL head coach
-Canucks in regular contact with McDonough; he spurned them last season; no indication, either way, of whether he’ll sign

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

-next month will determine the rest of the season
-Podkolzin and Hoglander will remain in the AHL
-Canucks have the financial flexibility to keep Horvat but strongly seems like he will be traded
-trade priority is still a young centreman or right shot defenceman
-NHL top prospects game is in Langley on Jan. 25th; Horvat’s agent will be there; speculation that will be the last time they negotiate
-Pettersson is a priority
-Canucks view Kuzmenko as a crucial piece; agent says “When the time comes, we’ll figure it out”
-Luke Schenn will be traded, regardless of standings, if a good offer is made
-want to extend Burroughs
-plan has always been to keep Boudreau all season
-team views Gronborg as a high level NHL assistant or AHL head coach
-Canucks in regular contact with McDonough; he spurned them last season; no indication, either way, of whether he’ll sign

Think this kills the idea of Gronborg being a Canucks’ coach. I somehow doubt he comes over for an assistant or an AHL gig.

Glad to hear the team wants Burroughs back. He’s good and cheap and shouldn’t cost a ton to sign.

The rest all seems quite glaringly obvious.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also, FWIW - I think once the season is over, Colliton is the heir apparent to the Canucks’ bench. If the Canucks decide to remove Boudreau before the season is done, I think Yeo will be interim coach to the end.

But I think the organization likes Colliton and sees him as a future HC.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
There’s a really weird thing in hockey where Swedes and Russians, usually considered no-nonsense tough guys and resilient, are weak softies.
1672283893303.png

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Colliton won't be the next coach unless he wins a championship this year. He has a lot of years ahead of him still as he's only 37 years old. I think Gronberg leaving now as a coach is quite suspicious, he has to making a big move whether its the NHL or Finland, there is more that's happening than taking his departure at face value.

I also think Gronberg is an excellent choice, he is an experienced coach outside of the NHL. You don't need NHL experience alone to be a sucessful coach, you need to be smart af, understand millionaire athletes, and come in with a sound strategy on how to win games in the NHL.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
There’s a really weird thing in hockey where Swedes and Russians, usually considered no-nonsense tough guys and resilient, are weak softies.
Russians in particular always played a careful, methodical style that eschewed fighting and cheap shots, and it came right down from the Red Army management. Those traditions in high-level Russian hockey training were too strong and essential to have changed much yet today. But actual Russians in their day-to-day lives will try to kick your ass for jaywalking in front of them.

Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I've seen this point around and it doesn't really hold water for me. Sure, by the absolute technical definition they could be cap compliant and sign Horvat at the market, but that doesn't mean anything really. The waterfall impact from doing that (assuming they didn't first trade Miller) would likely gut any depth the organization has (without the prospects or cap space to replace it) and mean you'd be locked into this terrible blueline (or possibly even a worse defensive group) for the immediate future. It also adds a significant amount of risk to the Pettersson extension. If Horvat is dead set on absolutely maximizing his contract, I really don't think the Canucks can afford him.

They will just have to live with looking like idiots for extending Miller over Horvat in the summer.

Reactions: MarkMM

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I've seen this point around and it doesn't really hold water for me. Sure, by the absolute technical definition they could be cap compliant and sign Horvat at the market, but that doesn't mean anything really. The waterfall impact from doing that (assuming they didn't first trade Miller) would likely gut any depth the organization has (without the prospects or cap space to replace it) and mean you'd be locked into this terrible blueline (or possibly even a worse defensive group) for the immediate future. It also adds a significant amount of risk to the Pettersson extension. If Horvat is dead set on absolutely maximizing his contract, I really don't think the Canucks can afford him.

They will just have to live with looking like idiots for extending Miller over Horvat in the summer.
I think they can “afford” him, and appreciate what you are saying. If JT Miller is a winger perhaps it even “works” from a cap perspective.

With that said, the obvious lesson that should have been learned from Miller, and which doesn’t get discussed enough or brought up by the media, is that we have to stop signing players at their absolute value zenith. You just can’t operate like this in the cap era. So even if it made sense signing Horvat a year or two ago, it doesn’t make sense now.

And it’s not because he “priced himself” out of our reach as the media says ad nausea, it’s because you don’t want to sign players based on career years because they almost certainly won’t live up to expectations.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think they can “afford” him, and appreciate what you are saying. If JT Miller is a winger perhaps it even “works” from a cap perspective.

With that said, the obvious lesson that should have been learned from Miller, and which doesn’t get discussed enough or brought up by the media, is that we have to stop signing players at their absolute value zenith. You just can’t operate like this in the cap era. So even if it made sense signing Horvat a year or two ago, it doesn’t make sense now.

And it’s not because he “priced himself” out of our reach as the media says ad nausea, it’s because you don’t want to sign players based on career years because they almost certainly won’t live up to expectations.

It's a good point, but that's really just a factor of ownership's complete refusal to even contemplate a year-over-year step back from the status quo with an eye on the future. Someone said this is an ownership group that basically just doesn't have the stones to move a star player.

Like I said, they could obviously stretch themselves to the max cap-wise to fit Horvat's giant deal, but I don't see much of a chance under that scenario that they aren't in all likelihood a worse team next year, and moving forward. Unless they move Miller first.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Havent done some fantasy trades purposals in a while so

Van
Ludvig Jansson
Florida 2023 2nd

FLA
Luke Schenn
-------------------------

NYI
Horvat

Van