Fantasy GM Thread | Two Minutes to Midnight for Horvat?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rickard Gronberg and ZSC Lions have parted ways because Gronberg has signed with another club for next season. Looks like it's going to be an NHL coaching gig but not confirmed on who yet.

Very interesting development. Also, Marc Crawford is replacing him.

Here’s the official announcement; google translated from German below.

The ZSC Lions are parting ways with their head coach Rikard Grönborg and the two assistants Peter Popovic and Johan Andersson with immediate effect. The new head coach will be Marc Crawford, assisted by Rob Cookson. The two Canadians have signed a contract for two and a half years up to and including the 2024/25 season.
Rikard Grönborg joined the ZSC Lions organization three and a half years ago. The Swede won the regular season 2019/20 with the Zurich team before the season had to be canceled due to the Covid situation. In 2020/21, Grönborg advanced to the cup final and the playoff semifinals with the Zett. The runner-up title followed last season. With a view to next season, Rikard Grönborg has signed with another club.

Head of sport Sven Leuenberger: “In order to give the team new impetus, we decided to change coaches early. Marc Crawford will take over immediately instead of next season. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Rikard Grönborg and his two assistants for the work they have done! I wish the trio all the best for the future."

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No way Vancouver signs him while still having Boudreau under contract... right?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Especially after a three game winning streak. It would be uncharacteristically bold of this management team.

One would think, but the article says for next season so who knows.

I’m a little skeptical of the translation. While it says he’s signed with another club, Google translate can be very literal and miss what is actually being said. Would love a native German or Swiss speaker to take a look.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Casey Mittelstadt is a weird player. Stats suggest you have a 0.5 ppg player who has been on a bad team and could potentially do better on a contending squad however the eye test suggests a guy that plays loose and isn't fit to be a top 6 C. I get Mike Santorelli or Kyle Wellwood vibes with him.

He probably still carries value due to his stats and draft pedigree...so Buffalo would be smart to move him for a 2C piece.
I get your point but he is much better than Santorelli or Wellwood.

But even as I write this I'm not so sure.....one thing that I'm sure about is that the Canucks have zero need to Middelstadt.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022

It's very possible they have a deal that takes place for next season since Boudreau contract naturally expires. Gronberg was my guess as soon as Allvin was named GM.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think it’s safe to assume Kuzmenko is gone. He should have tremendous value as a rental at the deadline (assuming he continues to produce and doesn’t get hurt)
I think his value as a rental is being over stated here as he seems to be a pile on or downhill type of scorer who gets points when the Canucks big guns are firing on all cylinders but is very meh when they aren't.

But I'm all for trading him to get some assets in the pipeline.

Between the 2, trade miller before horvat
That window has closed.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How is this doable with no assets to burn?

I think we will find out soon if Kuze is a long term asset or not. We can start to talk contract and that will be telling.

This team needs change and I believe we will see it this deadline and offseason, and we will be able to tell then what this team really is.
I think that most of us know what the team really is, the interesting question is where they are going.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's very possible they have a deal that takes place for next season since Boudreau contract naturally expires. Gronberg was my guess as soon as Allvin was named GM.

It would be, as far as I know, unprecedented for an NHL team to hire a coach for the following season while still employing a different coach. If revealed, the controversy wound be huge and Boudreau, as an example, would probably quit on the spot.

He could be brought in as an assistant coach. They’d have to remove or demote someone from the bench. Would also be a strange move but this has at least happened before.

Reactions: rypper

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
It would be, as far as I know, unprecedented for an NHL team to hire a coach for the following season while still employing a different coach. If revealed, the controversy wound be huge and Boudreau, as an example, would probably quit on the spot.

He could be brought in as an assistant coach. They’d have to remove or demote someone from the bench. Would also be a strange move but this has at least happened before.

All it takes is several discussions between both parties and having an informal agreement to work with each other next season. That's how these things are done in a high level environment. When being a board member, we would have our next CEO picked before we fired the current CEO.

Reactions: MarkMM

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
All it takes is several discussions between both parties and having an informal agreement to work with each other next season. That's how these things are done in a high level environment. When being a board member, we would have our next CEO picked before we fired the current CEO.

It’s significantly different when it’s a sports organization and you’re dealing with a coach. The two positions are not analogous. The media scrutiny, and generally accepted code of conduct, could have serious backlash. If this were Rutherford then I completely agree.

Edit: I’ll add, I’m not saying they shouldn’t do it. It’s that they won’t do it.

Last edited:

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
It’s significantly different when it’s a sports organization and you’re dealing with a coach. The two positions are not analogous. The media scrutiny, and generally accepted code of conduct, could have serious backlash. If this were Rutherford then I completely agree.

Edit: I’ll add, I’m not saying they shouldn’t do it. It’s that they won’t do it.

There is no boundaries in sports. Agents talk to GMs all the time and casually discuss future moves. Aquilini fired the entire management staff and hired his own coach before Rutherford even gave him the OK to come on board.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Great, we will have Team Sweden here within a few more years. Good in the community and pretty good in the regular season. No playoffs though.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
There is no boundaries in sports. Agents talk to GMs all the time and casually discuss future moves. Aquilini fired the entire management staff and hired his own coach before Rutherford even gave him the OK to come on board.
The point is the previous coach was let go before the next one was hired.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Great, we will have Team Sweden here within a few more years. Good in the community and pretty good in the regular season. No playoffs though.
1672266980146.png

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
No NHL experience, and a sweede ,,sounds about right for this team.I don't think Allvin last,s 5 years tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad