F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
95% chance Leonard is not a center in the NHL other than taking faceoffs when his centerman gets tossed from the dot.

I don't know why they list him as a C/RW when he's played wing for the entire year. AND will play wing in college next to Smith and Perreault at BC.

He's been covering for Smith at center more often than not, he's literally playing the center role (faceoffs aside) more than Smith is. It's more of a hybrid thing at USDP.

There's plenty of evidence of what Leonard can do in defending down low and launching the breakout from deeper in his zone.

Reactions: WinterLion

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Center/Wing is way more fluid than people realize... this is the "total hockey" era where everyone covers for everyone everywhere on the ice, and step up when opportunities present itself which in turn means someone else has to cover their spot, as opposed to players being held to rigidly set positions. This is the biggest meta shift in the last 7-8 years in the NHL, even though it's not particularly new. The number one difference between a center and wing is the center takes the faceoffs. When McDavid and Draisaitl get loaded up on a top line, Draisaitl is the one that takes Faceoffs, yet McDavid is listed just as a "C" and Draistail a "C/W"... why? I dunno, cuz in Canadian youth hockey, being a wing means you weren't good enough to be a centre I guess.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Center/Wing is way more fluid than people realize... this is the "total hockey" era where everyone covers for everyone everywhere on the ice, and step up when opportunities present itself which in turn means someone else has to cover their spot, as opposed to players being held to rigidly set positions. This is the biggest meta shift in the last 7-8 years in the NHL, even though it's not particularly new. The number one difference between a center and wing is the center takes the faceoffs. When McDavid and Draisaitl get loaded up on a top line, Draisaitl is the one that takes Faceoffs, yet McDavid is listed just as a "C" and Draistail a "C/W"... why? I dunno, cuz in Canadian youth hockey, being a wing means you weren't good enough to be a centre I guess.

I pretty much ignore who takes the draw and just focus on whether players are good at defending down low and starting breakouts from deep in their zone.

Reactions: d rake

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
He's been covering for Smith at center more often than not, he's literally playing the center role (faceoffs aside) more than Smith is. It's more of a hybrid thing at USDP.

There's plenty of evidence of what Leonard can do in defending down low and launching the breakout from deeper in his zone.

I understand, and I've watched him play as the first man back this year while on the line with Perreault and Smith. His offensive game will be best deployed from the wing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand, and I've watched him play as the first man back this year while on the line with Perreault and Smith. His offensive game will be best deployed from the wing.

Are you saying that NHL clubs should have Leonard stop doing center duties as he has been and just focus on the traditional winger role?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Are you saying that NHL clubs should have Leonard stop doing center duties as he has been and just focus on the traditional winger role?

At the NHL level I think he would benefit more from playing a traditional winger role. He doesn't have to sacrifice the 2-way play but if he's playing with a center like, for instance, Dylan Larkin or Marco Kasper, he won't have to be the guy playing below the dots in his own zone as much and can use his speed as a breakout option. :naughty:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
95% chance Leonard is not a center in the NHL other than taking faceoffs when his centerman gets tossed from the dot.

I don't know why they list him as a C/RW when he's played wing for the entire year. AND will play wing in college next to Smith and Perreault at BC.
He doesn’t take draws but he literally plays the position every shift in the D-zone. Smith always rolls to one of the wings. I’d say he certainly could play center at the next level, not sure if he actually will though.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
He doesn’t take draws but he literally plays the position every shift in the D-zone. Smith always rolls to one of the wings. I’d say he certainly could play center at the next level, not sure if he actually will though.

That's also in part because Perreault and Smith are allergic to their goalie's cologne and must stay 60 feet away at all times or they'll break out in hives.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
One of my first notes I wrote about Leonard was that I’d like to see him at Center. I think he could actually be good in that position.

I’m certain that BC will keep Perreault, Smith, and Leonard on the same line, but I hope they split them up and try Leonard at center at some point.

Reactions: SlafySZN

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m certain that BC will keep Perreault, Smith, and Leonard on the same line, but I hope they split them up and try Leonard at center at some point.

This is hard for me to talk about because by my definition he already is the center on that line. The faceoff shouldn't be what determines which player is listed as the center.

In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they run with a Smith - Gauthier - Perreault line, with Leonard centering his own unit.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Him doing center duties on his line, could be a good argument as to why he could be drafted #5.

If for example the habs saw that and assume he could become a center it might give them a better reason to take him there (if Smith isn’t available at 5).

Reactions: WinterLion

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Leonard is one of my favourite prospects in the draft and I would take him ahead of Wood, but I dont think that having Wood ahead is as laughable as youre making it seem.

If you want the swing at a really high potential, massive, scorer Wood is your guy. High risk, high reward type whereas Leonard is a little safer.

Leonard is the exact type of forward the wings have been loading up on recently, if he makes it to 9 I wouldnt be surprised if the wings take him at all. But dont be surprised if Wood ends up a higher pick than a lot expect
Oh agreed. My comment isn't meant as a slight to Wood, but to the poster I was responding to saying that Leonard shouldn't go top 10 because he can't drive his line then puts Wood ahead of him on said list... I spit out my whiskey laughing. Wood has a lot to work on and no way on Earth can you call him a "line driver" period let alone ahead of Leonard lol...

Wood is a different player and has different skill sets...excited to see how he evolves over the next few years..

Reactions: newfy

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yeah, nooo…

Holloway was overdrafted. Trended as a decent 3rd liner in the draft but needed to work on the hands/brain side of the game.

If I had to compare Leonard to anyone in the league now? Possibly JT Miller in terms of style.
A better 2 way version of JT Miller with a non is how I see him honestly.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Yeah, nooo…

Holloway was overdrafted. Trended as a decent 3rd liner in the draft but needed to work on the hands/brain side of the game.

If I had to compare Leonard to anyone in the league now? Possibly JT Miller in terms of style.
JT miller has zero effort in the defensive zone…I wouldn’t say that is the best comparison. I see him more has a Bennet/Konecny/Hartman type of player

Reactions: biturbo19

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
JT miller has zero effort in the defensive zone…I wouldn’t say that is the best comparison. I see him more has a Bennet/Konecny/Hartman type of player
Nah he has high risk plays that create turnovers occasionally and also has had moments or stretches where he has been disgruntled and disengaged defensively mostly due to inept teammates systems defense and goaltending but JT is actually a 2 way beast when engaged.

He wins most 1v1 battles is excellent on faceoffs and doesnt cheat he's just a little mistake prone. He's done good when given the match up role against other teams top lines but he is 30 now so i could see it becoming an issue over the next 2-3 yrs

As far as Leonard i completely agree with the transition to C argument. Even the way he skates, drives play and passes the puck is suited to the position IMO. I would be shocked if he's not gone by 7 or 8. Feel free to leave him for the Canucks at 11 that would be unreal. Great prospect he's pretty much can't miss

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Year ago my favorite Usntdp player was Gauthier. This year it’s Leonard. I understand potential of Smith and his vision, but I think everything Leonard has, is translating better. He looks like potentially less productive, but I like his overall game and build more.

im a guy who ranks floor high. Leonard could be not as flashy and not as dominant in offensive zone. He isn’t potential first playmaker of the team like Smith could be. But Leonard is can potentially help his team as more scoring and forechecking piece. And he should just work on his way.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I've seen him labeled as physical.

I'm curious.

Is he run you over, drop a big hit physical, or just a guy who gets into the corners throws a hit to stun the opponent and then battles hard to get the puck

Or is it a bit of both ?

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I tend to agree with the Miller comp at least offensively but with a way more polished game and heart.

So a mix of Miller's offense and Konecny's 200 foot game and heart is what I have him as

Reactions: nergish

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I've seen him labeled as physical.

I'm curious.

Is he run you over, drop a big hit physical, or just a guy who gets into the corners throws a hit to stun the opponent and then battles hard to get the puck

Or is it a bit of both ?
Mix of both, more so he plays fearless through contact and wins a lot of extra pucks because of it, but I did see him catch a few guys in open ice in my viewings.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Habs GM had a press conference today and talked very glowing lyrics about Smith and Leonard. It seems like if of the big 5 only Michkov is left Leonard will be the Habs pick at 5.

No confirmations it's just based on how Hughes talked about Smith, Leonard, Reinbacher and Michkov.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
He’s my favourite prospect from this draft. Looks to me like a Hybrid of Timo Meier with Brady Tkachuks nastiness. Lock for a top 7 pick imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad