F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I like Leonard. He strikes me as a smart physical player. He doesn't go out there like a wrecking ball and hitting everything in sight. He's calculated in his approach to physicality. He's also a natural goal scorer. His shot is a beauty. To me, if Zach Benson is gone, he's got Flyers written all over him.
I don't see Philly passing on Leonard even if Benson is there at 7

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
DK has the line at 8.5 for him. A little high imo don't see him getting to 8 but it's also 1.5 on that u8.5 line not 1.9

LeonTheKing

Aug 8, 2016
I'm surprised nobody mentioned his hilarously high shooting percentage yet. 51 goals and only 189 shots, it's over 26%. I love him though, gonna pick him in my fantasy league at 7th overall. His motor is insane, high floor player for sure. Current Farabee is what you got at least from him, but sky is the limit.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
My biggest fear as a Pens fan is that Leonard falls to Philly. He’s definitely my favorite player in the draft.
I’d be more worried about them getting Michkov and tanking until he comes over. They could have a ridiculous young core, especially if they get more assets for Couturier, Konecny & Hart etc.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
If Michkov explodes to the level of a superstar Russian winger like Kucherov and Leonard is a Turcotte like, I think it will hurt for 20 years.

Montreal lacks an offensive superstar. Last year there was no rank 1. This year, there is one accessible at rank 5. The team is on its way to select top 10 next year. A guy of Leonard's level there will also be next year.

It would be yet another missed date. I still have trouble digesting Kotkaniemi's selection in 3 at the expense of Tkachuk.

Hardworking with a big physique, we already have Slafkovsky and Dach.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
What kind of upside do u guys see here? 1st line play driver?
I like Leonard, but people are pretending that he also isn't the product of his line. He has two good playmakers setting him up and more times than not, not the other way around. His finishing was good, but his motor (it's good, but not elite), his physicality, etc. all get over hyped.

People see a little bit of two way game on here and clamour over it. Is he a good prospect? Yes. But is he an A level prospect? I don't see it.

And I say that as somebody who likes his game but he has some big deficiencies (skating, passing, processing). Without a doubt though one of the better finishers in the draft but also had a lot of in tight opportunities thanks to his line mates. With that said you can't knock his reads on where to go when playing with creative players. That's a skill in itself.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I like Leonard, but people are pretending that he also isn't the product of his line. He has two good playmakers setting him up and more times than not, not the other way around. His finishing was good, but his motor (it's good, but not elite), his physicality, etc. all get over hyped.

People see a little bit of two way game on here and clamour over it. Is he a good prospect? Yes. But is he an A level prospect? I don't see it.

And I say that as somebody who likes his game but he has some big deficiencies (skating, passing, processing). Without a doubt though one of the better finishers in the draft but also had a lot of in tight opportunities thanks to his line mates. With that said you can't knock his reads on where to go when playing with creative players. That's a skill in itself.
Nah, from what I hear on here WIll Smith would be nothing without Ryan Leonard. :sarcasm:

Leonard doesn't have any "big deficiences in his game." That doesn't mean he is as good a prospect as Carlsson or Fantilli but he is very much a top 7/8 prospect in this draft. Just admit it-you've never seen him play.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Nah, from what I hear on here WIll Smith would be nothing without Ryan Leonard. :sarcasm:

Leonard doesn't have any "big deficiences in his game." That doesn't mean he is as good a prospect as Carlsson or Fantilli but he is very much a top 7/8 prospect in this draft. Just admit it-you've never seen him play.
I suppose that's a matter of subjectivity. I think that 99% of this draft has big deficiencies somewhere in their games. The first round is littered with guys who can do something very well and they lack fundamentally in another area. Leonard is no different for me. He is however more complete a player that 95% of players in this draft however, which is why I have him rated high on my board. I just don't think he's a first line guy because of those deficiencies. Can be get there? Sure. But realistically he's a 2nd line ceiling.

If he was a first line player we would just call him by his real name, Adam Fantilli. Fantilli is Leonard without the deficiencies.

Reactions: biturbo19

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I suppose that's a matter of subjectivity. I think that 99% of this draft has big deficiencies somewhere in their games. The first round is littered with guys who can do something very well and they lack fundamentally in another area. Leonard is no different for me. He is however more complete a player that 95% of players in this draft however, which is why I have him rated high on my board. I just don't think he's a first line guy because of those deficiencies. Can be get there? Sure. But realistically he's a 2nd line ceiling.

If he was a first line player we would just call him by his real name, Adam Fantilli. Fantilli is Leonard without the deficiencies.

TIL first line players don't have deficiencies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

I share some hesitation with him as a top 7 type guy, but I will say I think he's actually a pretty smart offensive player himself from a playmaking standpoint, when he has the puck he can make a play with it in his own right. And his skating is very good, he can get moving very quickly.

On a line that doesn't prioritize defensive play (to say the least) his details really stand out. I was unsure who I'd like more between him & Barlow - given Barlow is billed one of the best 'heavier' goal scorers in the draft - and I think the difference in motor stands out in this comparison (for Leonard). He's dialed in when he's on the ice.

The guy I have more questions about is Smith. Some times he skates really quickly, other times not to much, sometimes he's pulling a rabbit out of his hat, other times he's cheating & looking flashy but ultimately making a poor play.

Leonard I think can play on any top 6 line in the league & help you in all 200ft of the ice, Smith on the other-hand I'm not sure what position he'll play & how much of an impact player he'll be 5 on 5.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

This is the biggest thing i see with Leonard. I don't see this play-driving top line forward that a lot of people are projecting. But...I do see a guy who has that sort of oxymoronic "elite complementary player" skillset. I could see him being a "1st line winger" in the same sense that Zach Hyman is. Just has a really good feel for where to be and how to support more creative skilled players.

And it gets undersold a lot...but that's a hugely important skillset in it's own right. It takes a really smart player to understand how to play that sort of role effectively. To be that player who does a lot of the spadework to make a line work and still have the hockey sense and puck skills to contribute while knowing when to stand aside and get the puck to more skilled linemates and let them go to work. Just getting himself to the right sorts of advantageous positions to be "set up" by those high skill linemates.

Makes for a tough read, in that i don't see the sort of player who is going to individually drive play. That's what you really want from a Top-10 pick. But at the same time...it wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be a terrific complementary forward who scores 30G multiple times in his career. A lot of the players in that range of the draft likely never touch that mark.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
This is the biggest thing i see with Leonard. I don't see this play-driving top line forward that a lot of people are projecting. But...I do see a guy who has that sort of oxymoronic "elite complementary player" skillset. I could see him being a "1st line winger" in the same sense that Zach Hyman is. Just has a really good feel for where to be and how to support more creative skilled players.

And it gets undersold a lot...but that's a hugely important skillset in it's own right. It takes a really smart player to understand how to play that sort of role effectively. To be that player who does a lot of the spadework to make a line work and still have the hockey sense and puck skills to contribute while knowing when to stand aside and get the puck to more skilled linemates and let them go to work. Just getting himself to the right sorts of advantageous positions to be "set up" by those high skill linemates.

Makes for a tough read, in that i don't see the sort of player who is going to individually drive play. That's what you really want from a Top-10 pick. But at the same time...it wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be a terrific complementary forward who scores 30G multiple times in his career. A lot of the players in that range of the draft likely never touch that mark.
Exactly how I see it as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad